Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No you can't because it takes a specific diet for a few days and flushing the bowels over several hours and there is no way Ed isn't full of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1949)

I assume this person would want too much money for these and that they would be difficult to preserve, but that's still pretty tempting.

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why people are hating on this, this is top quality goofy bullshit soap opera writing.

riderchop posted:

Overboard SHE'S HERE!!! :woop:

lmao

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

If they're in NJ she should change her name to The Goldfinch.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 17, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Medenmath posted:

I don't know why people are hating on this, this is top quality goofy bullshit soap opera writing.

Nah, top quality bullshit soap opera writing would maintain the illusion that he's dead for six months or so, then have him reappear at the most awkward time possible.

But at this point I have no evidence that Moy can write any characters who aren't Wilbur, so I guess that may not be an option.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "510 -Jucika's Subway Adventure"

"511 - Jucika And The City Tour Bus" NSFW Nudity

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

ahahahaahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahaaahhhahahahahah i KNEW IT

I NEVER BELIEVED

IF IT WASNT MIRACULOUS RESCUE IT WAS GOING TO BE THIS

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
If Wilbur must survive, it should be at the end of a years-long Robinsonade from which he returns a completely different person from the pathetic worm that washed ashore. Only to return and find that Estelle has married a ripped, handsome silverfox billionaire and has forgotten even his name.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

loving Castawaylbur

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/16/02

Brenda Starr 12/29-31/47

Smokey Stover 9/2/45

Everyday Movies 10/3/34

"Duke, I believe you get more energy when you relax."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Steranko probably knows a fair bit about preserving paper. I'd expect those to be in good nick.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok in my head canon now Wilbur ends up doing the Robinson Crusoe thing, except its reversed in that he gets his life saved by a black family and he's decides that he needs to play the Friday role, but it's as if Mr. Bean were trying to be the faithful servant and the entire time the black family is just "dude this is weird, you can go home this isn't a remote island it's just Florida."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

drat, cold to doxx my cat like that.

Also, lol, Wilbur is so unpalatable even the ocean spits him out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope he gets found by a hideous old crone who locks him in her seaside hut and holds him there until he agrees to marry her so she can get a visa.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Oh no! Not my butt!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

goatface posted:

I hope he gets found by a hideous old crone who locks him in her seaside hut and holds him there until he agrees to marry her so she can get a visa.

Why would you wish him on the poor Sea Hag? She's been through enough as it is!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

This is peak soap opera cheese. I'm not sure whether I'm disgusted that this turd gets so many second chances or amused by how ludicrous it is.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In a year, the strip will be called Mary Worth and Wilbur.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NRVNQSR posted:

Nah, top quality bullshit soap opera writing would maintain the illusion that he's dead for six months or so, then have him reappear at the most awkward time possible.

But at this point I have no evidence that Moy can write any characters who aren't Wilbur, so I guess that may not be an option.

No, she does a good job with a lot of characters and stories. Here she's giving the people what they want, giving the syndicate what gets the clicks and the attention.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

In a year, the strip will be called Mary Worth and Wilbur.

Like Blondie, it'll be 95% about Wilbur eating sandwiches.

I remember cutting my great grandma's grass growing up, and afterward I'd go sit with her. She always had me a diet sprite and we always watched Days of our Lives together, to the point that I scheduled my entire day around finishing up the grass around the time Days came on. She would sit and endlessly complain about how stupid the characters and the stories were, but she also spent the commercials filling me in on what I'd missed since the last time I was over.

Anyway, when I woke up this morning I was prepared to support a thread death penalty for Mary Worth for bringing this stupid into my life, but ... upon reflection I guess being mad about it is at least half the fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, she does a good job with a lot of characters and stories. Here she's giving the people what they want, giving the syndicate what gets the clicks and the attention.

I ain't clickin' poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Why would you wish him on the poor Sea Hag? She's been through enough as it is!

He's clearly her type, he's just like Wimpy. Hamburgers are a type of sandwich.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Going to be honest, LMAO on that Mary Worth strip and the threads reaction to it.

Anyway, here's today's Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

A couple of Tom’s am-dram triumphs in the background of panel 5. And a chance to finally meet Mick!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: I've, uh, got some bad news for you on that penultimate panel, Luckner, or Prosit was not born in a barn, or Just when I thought I couldn't dislike him more, Prosit commits cultural genocide to boot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Apple edition)

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

First thing that pops up in my head with any deserted island story:

I'd watch it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Arbetor posted:

I'd watch it.

:lol: I would too.

"Tastes just like lady fingers!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'm curious cause it looks cool, what's this a reference to?

Arbetor posted:

I'd watch it.

Wilbur looks at his hand, it turns into a sandwich. He looks at his foot, it turns into a sandwich.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

davidspackage posted:

I'm curious cause it looks cool, what's this a reference to?
The end of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hostile V posted:

The end of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I love the VERY understated Christian iconography.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I love the VERY understated Christian iconography.

I love that the Christian iconography has gently caress all to do with the themes and story of NGE.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

He's going to be the next Phantom.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

goatface posted:

After he is released from captivity and returns home, he finds a stack of suitors waiting for Estelle, so he defeats them all in competition by being the only one who can pierce an entire stack of sandwiches with one of those sandwich spike... things, I don't know what they're called but you know what I mean, the little spears that hold a sandwich together, and upon reflection, this whole Odysseus thing isn't as funny as it was in my head so I'm dropping it here and oh hey look out behind you here come some single-panel comics

Bizarro

The Family Circus

In this work, the artist challenges our expectations by re-creating a classic Art Frahm scene, but he deliberately omits the defining element of Frahmianist art. It's a provocative piece, even though the entire image is thoroughly mundane, and the off-color imagery exists only in the viewer's mind. Keane is truly the Warhol of our age. :wotwot:

(For those who don't recognize the name, Art Frahm was a pin-up artist who, decades after his death, gained a bit of Internet fame for his slightly odd fetish. Namely, his favorite subject was a woman carrying grocery bags exactly like Daddy is here, so she don't have a free hand to pull up her underwear which has somehow fallen to her ankles. As far as I know, this link is what first brought Frahm to the Internet's attention -- it's very tame stuff by modern standards but I'm going to tag it :nws: just to be safe: https://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

I love that the Christian iconography has gently caress all to do with the themes and story of NGE.

They did admit that "it just looks cool"

and it did, the visuals were the best part

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

(For those who don't recognize the name, Art Frahm was a pin-up artist who, decades after his death, gained a bit of Internet fame for his slightly odd fetish. Namely, his favorite subject was a woman carrying grocery bags exactly like Daddy is here, so she don't have a free hand to pull up her underwear which has somehow fallen to her ankles. As far as I know, this link is what first brought Frahm to the Internet's attention -- it's very tame stuff by modern standards but I'm going to tag it :nws: just to be safe: https://www.lileks.com/institute/frahm/index.html)

lol

quote:

This one comes from Frahm's Hopper period.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Those Were the Days January 23, 1958

Every parent's nightmare.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Great now we're starting over :mad:

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Hey remember when that spy friend of Jordan's assassinated a guy and then disappeared? And how all this hinted at a dark past for Jordan that was perhaps catching up with him? That was exciting!

Well anyways, now we're doing this.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Sure, I believe an unconscious man can float face-down in the ocean for hours and survive.