Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Avatar is still the stingle highest grossing movie ever made in the history of the world. People really like 3D. The technology and market is just never quite there. Similar the the UHD blueray stuff. People like the uhd part, but not the implementations that come out.

Yeah, it came at a time when TVs really didn't have the peak brightness and resolution to back it up. Kind of a shame imo. Also they can get hosed for charging bonkers prices for the 3D versions of Blu-Rays. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
TBH I think Avatar hit at just the right point to capture that 3D flash in the pan

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

TBH I think Avatar hit at just the right point to capture that 3D flash in the pan

[1993 voice] people love live action in games. just look at the 7th guest sales figures!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Avatar was envisioned with the 3D in mind. It was an engrossing experience. Unfortunately it created that new 3D wave which 90% of were movies converted to 3D in post. Those never really added anything to the experience and you'd forget you were even watching a movie in 3D after a while. The only other notable 3D movie from the time was Hugo.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Yeah there's a curious lack of 3D movies if it's so popular.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah there's a curious lack of 3D movies if it's so popular.

With how blockbuster movies are made nowadays, you're pretty much 50/50 on money spent on filming and money spent on marketing. Movies make money, but they should always be making The Most Money. Now introduce a second point of failure that is required for every single shot to make 3D work, doubling parts of the cost for the film between post production CGI and camera equipment, alongside the very common belief held by people who know of 3D movies having red/blue glasses (and being pretty poo poo at the 3d thing) and producers tend to want regular stuff instead of 3D. Unless you're a director/producer that has a REAL boner for making a 3D movie blockbuster

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stexils posted:

[1993 voice] people love live action in games. just look at the 7th guest sales figures!

Where am I remember... Nothing.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found avatar really engrossing in 3d on a big cinema screen
Saw a few other movies in 3d and they all sucked, then did VFX for some 3d movies and it was a pain to work with so I came to hate 3d

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't know anyone that saw avatar in 3d

I saw it too. The implementation was so good I was brushing things away from my face in the jungle scenes.

Later, some moron decided to release Dredd in 3D only. It tanked. That not only killed blockbuster 3D as a thing, it cost us the sequels we might have gotten if Dredd had earned out. Even in 2D it's a gorgeous film and it's highly recommended as a top-notch SF action movie.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EoinCannon posted:

Saw a few other movies in 3d and they all sucked, then did VFX for some 3d movies and it was a pain to work with so I came to hate 3d

Lol the only movie I ever saw in 3D was the Great Gatsby, because that was the height of the craze and it was only available that way. Other than some cute effects with some flowers in the opening sequence, it didn't seem like they really bothered, nor was it clear why they would have.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol the only movie I ever saw in 3D was the Great Gatsby, because that was the height of the craze and it was only available that way. Other than some cute effects with some flowers in the opening sequence, it didn't seem like they really bothered, nor was it clear why they would have.

I worked on Great Gatsby, it was the post processed stereo that looks poo poo. The proper double camera stereo they used for avatar and some other James Cameron associated productions looks better but still not that amazing imo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy, but 3d video is like 7.1 channel sound to me. When I'm watching a film I don't need to feel like I'm there, I'm happy watching a film in front of me.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Gravity was greatly helped by 3D, but that's all I can think of.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

starkebn posted:

Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy, but 3d video is like 7.1 channel sound to me. When I'm watching a film I don't need to feel like I'm there, I'm happy watching a film in front of me.

Same, I don't have the picture all around me, so I don't need the sound all around me.

2.1 really is the sweet spot, or possibly 3.1 if you have a huge screen, and need to anchor the dialogue better to the screen, for people sitting off to the sides.

Buying a whole 7.1 system just spreads out your money over way too many speakers, even more if you want to do Atmos. It's better to spend that money on 2 higher-quality speakers for left and right, plus a good subwoofer (or 2 for more even coverage).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

It did genuinely look amazing though and was a hell of theater experience; even though I can't remember one loving thing about the movie other than it was fun getting stoned and going to see it. I liked most of the 3D stuff that was coming out and am kind of surprised the trend died off so fast.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

You’re all wrong and Jackass 3D was the epitome of the format

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

EoinCannon posted:

The Avatar first flying scene is used in almost every 3D TV/Phone demo I have seen.

The next two Avatar's had crazy difficult production going on (underwater stuff). I don't know when they will be released.

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1320771383396388866

They had to have scuba crew ready to save the actors just in case.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah im a little suprised to hear people even saw Avatar in 2d. The movie had a pretty generic plot, its main feature was the fact that it was filmed and edited with 3d in mind. James Cameron has even said that he began working on the film as a concept in the 90's but waited for the technology to make it meet his vision.

For the best 3d experience I always found that sitting closer to the screen really improves it. Not directly in the front row but maybe 3 or 4 rows back, Avatar was incredibly immersive at that distance.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

gurragadon posted:

Yeah im a little suprised to hear people even saw Avatar in 2d.

Friend, some people saw that movie on an airplane.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Avatar was great as a 3d movie because it was directed to have shots that would really work well with the 3d effects.

I'm kinda sad that basically nothing is filmed in 3d now and where you can get it is just the post-processed kind. Even rare to see that in the cinema though now, I don't go out of my way to hunt it down, but if a Star Wars or Marvel type movie I'm seeing is available in 3d when I go to get a ticket I'll generally choose it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I cant imagine paying money to see a marvel movie

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BiggerBoat posted:

It did genuinely look amazing though and was a hell of theater experience; even though I can't remember one loving thing about the movie

It was generic white saviour trash.

Very pretty, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

It did genuinely look amazing though and was a hell of theater experience; even though I can't remember one loving thing about the movie other than it was fun getting stoned and going to see it. I liked most of the 3D stuff that was coming out and am kind of surprised the trend died off so fast.

It was literally Fern Gully.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

no it wasn't because Camereon lacked the courage to make the bad guy an ooze monster voiced by Tim Curry whose every line delivery made it sound like he was Cumming

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Man I watched that movie like a hundred times as a kid, just one of the most perfect movies ever made alongside Moana

For reference, I'd watch it after watching a scary movie to keep myself from having nightmares lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I honestly can't stand 3D. I think it looks stupid and I'm glad it failed.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I worked on a bad film called Sanctum that was shot with the double camera setup and all our VFX was rendered twice instead of the dodgy post stereo. James Cameron was consulting or executive producing or something. I never saw the final cut in 3d in a cinema but some of the dailies looked OK stereo-wise

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If you can’t take an hour or three out of your day to git diff a new version of something your multimillion dollar business depends on, maybe you shouldn’t be pushing code.
Have you ever looked into the node_modules folder of a modern web tech JavaScript project? Between the dependencies and dependencies of dependencies and so on, I think the Electron thing I worked on had like 15 000 packages. (Although I only looked at the number of folders. This seems to correspond to packages, but maybe it doesn't exactly? Suffice to say there are still a lot of them.)

Yes, it's absurd, but I don't see how anyone could vet all that.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 17, 2022

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elukka posted:

Have you ever looked into the node_modules folder of a modern web tech JavaScript project? Between the dependencies and dependencies of dependencies and so on, I think the Electron thing I worked on had like 15 000 packages. (Although I only looked at the number of folders. This seems to correspond to packages, but maybe it doesn't exactly? Suffice to say there are still a lot of them.)

To me you don't have to vet every version of every dependency but how about some drat stability? Take a baseline that is known to be good and stick with it until you validate a new baseline or until there is a good reason to pull in new versions, also with validation. Pulling the latest of everything constantly just seems reckless in general.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Magic Underwear posted:

To me you don't have to vet every version of every dependency but how about some drat stability? Take a baseline that is known to be good and stick with it until you validate a new baseline or until there is a good reason to pull in new versions, also with validation. Pulling the latest of everything constantly just seems reckless in general.

This is beside the point, but the flipside is if you're not quick enough on updates you can leave yourself exposed to a vulnerability which has already been patched upstream, as happened with Heartbleed where there were some big hacks well after the exploit was known and patched. The correct approach is always going to be specific to your circumstances, process, and release cadence.

What makes all that irrelevant though is that there is no financial incentive to do things correctly, at least in the short term. You can set up a process which never updates packages and incorporates known vulnerabilities, you can set one up which blindly pulls the latest versions of everything and is susceptible to cases like this, and you could still feasibly run like that for two years and get away without being hit. It's not what you should be doing, but there are plenty of people out there burning VC cash to get a prototype out the door and aiming to sell to the first buyer who comes along. Or feature factories which don't care about process or tech debt which can't be translated directly into profit. For every developer doing this correctly there are 10 who don't care or don't have the time to care, but they rarely have to pay the price for it.

There's also a part of this specific case which is more to do with NPM itself being historically terrible, and the JS package ecosystem where there are a million different implementations of basic stuff that most languages have in a standard library. Not that other languages are immune, but you can make almost any tech problem look 10x worse by focusing on the JS implementation.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 17, 2022

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
https://twitter.com/garybrannan/status/1482866885989478411

It shouldn't surprise me, yet it somehow still does

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It gets even worse.
https://twitter.com/sillyferns/status/1483044232550100993

And of course..

https://twitter.com/CTropes/status/1483044437773144064

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Scikar posted:

What makes all that irrelevant though is that there is no financial incentive to do things correctly, at least in the short term. You can set up a process which never updates packages and incorporates known vulnerabilities, you can set one up which blindly pulls the latest versions of everything and is susceptible to cases like this, and you could still feasibly run like that for two years and get away without being hit. It's not what you should be doing, but there are plenty of people out there burning VC cash to get a prototype out the door and aiming to sell to the first buyer who comes along. Or feature factories which don't care about process or tech debt which can't be translated directly into profit.
You're completely correct on stating the financial incentives of the user side, but you're missing a similar disincentive on the author's side.

The other day someone remarked that my suggestion to audit the code being akin to a Libertopoia hell world where you need to tesf your water for poison and for bombs in your coffee pots. That someone makes a very important point but it only works if the analogy is that nobody pays for municpal water or coffee makers.

Even in capitalist hell, there's at least lip service to the idea that if you maliciously gently caress up your product, customers will stop patronizing you. With freely available software that incentive doesn't even exist.

So maybe we should look into ways to compensate authors of free software in some way so they don't reach the point that this guy did. The trick is that the appropriate compensation is not necessarily the same for everyone. Some would be mollified by money, others by getting help writing the code, etc.

Or as users we accept that free software has a worst case value set at it's price, deal under that worst case scenario, and stop crying about it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sagacity posted:

https://twitter.com/garybrannan/status/1482866885989478411

It shouldn't surprise me, yet it somehow still does

Hyped for DUNC: 2025 (bitcoin miners burning down the rendering farm), DUNC: Universe and DUNC: We scammed some film students into doing the work for free.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Elukka posted:

Vet all of it? Not reasonably without some automated means. But such thorough vetting is not even remotely necessary to prevent such a basic problem as “package completely stops functioning”. It is standard practice in many software organizations and ecosystems to pin every dependency, direct or indirect, to a fixed release that won’t change, ever, until/unless dependencies are updated or added explicitly. And at the time you do that, you do at least some bare minimum of testing that the update didn’t completely break poo poo.

Preventing fuckery this basic is a solved problem, but for some reason lots of folks don’t use the known solutions, even though it’s really not difficult.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Senor Tron posted:

Avatar was great as a 3d movie because it was directed to have shots that would really work well with the 3d effects.

I'm kinda sad that basically nothing is filmed in 3d now and where you can get it is just the post-processed kind. Even rare to see that in the cinema though now, I don't go out of my way to hunt it down, but if a Star Wars or Marvel type movie I'm seeing is available in 3d when I go to get a ticket I'll generally choose it.

It also helps that when Cameron is shooting the film, they have cameras with decent 3D graphics cards so they see what the frame is really going to look like, instead of just actors in mo-cap suits.

"One major advance with Avatar's setup was the creation of a virtual monitor that allowed the director to see the motion capture results in real-time, as they were filmed, instead of waiting for the computer to render the images."

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was generic white saviour trash.

Very pretty, though.

Pocahontas in Space.

But I learned a good lesson on media and tech from it. If you're jumping to a new technology it may make sense to use a very familiar story basis.

Pre-App Store the company I co-founded had a bunch of web-based casino titles (play for fun) including the Kenny Rodgers license. We mistakenly thought the web based stuff would live on, and even though we did have an app in the "1st 500" when the app store opened, it was a music memory game. Took months before we got the casino games moved over. Mobilityware got this right. Hit the market early with Solitaire and Blackjack.

In the 1st year of the app store (2008), users were looking for familiar stuff. Games like Fruit Ninja (2010) and Angry Birds (2009) changed all of that (funny, I'm working with one of the designers of FN now).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The California DMV, in response to the fact that Tesla has been selling autopilot as self-driving for years, and a spate of videos showing how it's gotten worse now that they have dropped the LIDR, is looking to regulate it as a self-driving system, which means that Tesla would have to report all incidents, accidents, driver takeover, etc., and qualify its test drivers:

quote:

For years, Tesla has tested autonomous vehicle technology on public roads without reporting crashes and system failures to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, as other robot car developers are required to do under DMV regulations.

But confronted with dozens of viral videos showing Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta technology driving the car into dangerous situations, and a letter of concern from a key state legislator, the DMV now says it’s reviewing Tesla’s behavior and reassessing its own policies.

The agency informed Tesla on Jan. 5 that it is “revisiting” its opinion that the company’s test program doesn’t fall under the department’s autonomous vehicle regulations because it requires a human driver.

This is what it means:

quote:

If the DMV requires Tesla to conform to DMV autonomous testing safety regulations, the company would have to report crashes and system failures, giving the public hard data needed to evaluate how safe or how dangerous the technology is. It would also stiffen test-driver requirements.

This might mean that Tesla would have to deactivate Autopilot for every driver in California until some of them get qualified.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/atikkat/status/1479950863351398403

But why?

Rich people are insanely bored and stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VideoGameVet posted:

The California DMV, in response to the fact that Tesla has been selling autopilot as self-driving for years, and a spate of videos showing how it's gotten worse now that they have dropped the LIDR, is looking to regulate it as a self-driving system, which means that Tesla would have to report all incidents, accidents, driver takeover, etc., and qualify its test drivers:

This is what it means:

This might mean that Tesla would have to deactivate Autopilot for every driver in California until some of them get qualified.

My only complaints about any of this are (1) it hasn't been enacted yet and (2) it is not 2012 or whenever Tesla started touting FSD.