Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

it's not. its one of those predicted to become nearly-extinct by people decades ago. and it's happening now. brazil is the largest exporter at like over 1/3rd the world production and with crops hitting 90% complete death, that's a loving lot. and probably isn't going to get better with their extended drought. another large % comes from colombia that had like leaf rot and also extended ongoing drought and loss of crops.

vietnam i think is fairly stable and does produce a lot with relatively okay precipitation, it'll probably become the biggest exporter after brazil's industry collapses. indonesia is probably the 4th largest which likewise is doing badly with droughts and rot. ethiopia is the last major one and likewise doing bad.

there will probably be some small farms in other countries that are doing okay but not nearly enough for the world consumption and prices are gunna skyrocket big time.

unfortunately coffee doesn't last forever so stocking up doesn't help, but do expect to see massive price hikes and coffee shortages soon

im sure theres a lad hungry to earn a buck somewhere out there that will figure something out, im not worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i have friends who had manageable weed habits for years that became full-blown dependencies when a dispensary opened near them and they no longer had to arrange a meetup with their creepy and/or unreliable dealer. when there's a starbucks next to another starbucks in every strip mall in america, dropping a minimally addictive substance like coffee can become a herculean task for some people.

caffeine is like oil in that when it finally becomes a scarcity for americans, they're going to find out the hard way that a pretty significant portion of their society is unsustainably propped up on it. has anyone ever done a study on how much of the average worker's productivity is attributable to their daily caffeine high, and what kind of effect that would have at the macro scale if it was just dropped one day? lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kicked Throat posted:

speaking of addictions I just want to live long enough to see the internet go away. I will miss you all but that's the final frontier.

it’s why I’m starting to stockpile useful reference books, kindle books, video games, and back up hard drives with movies and what not. when that day comes, the world will seem smaller but that’s fine. thinking of getting one of those little game boy like emulators too. oh and some solid board games card games.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

God Hole posted:

caffeine is like oil in that when it finally becomes a scarcity for americans, they're going to find out the hard way that a pretty significant portion of their society is unsustainably propped up on it. has anyone ever done a study on how much of the average worker's productivity is attributable to their daily caffeine high, and what kind of effect that would have at the macro scale if it was just dropped one day? lol

Most of the actually productive class is just railing cocaine and acid, OP, only disposable blue collar laborers need to drink burnt nuts to get through another day of body destruction. :smuggo:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
things you dont want to be the last man to hold on to:

Coffee
Nicotine
Heroin
Fentanyl

probably in that order

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

Look at this loving thing. You think a neck like that would exist in nature? It would immediately flop over like a flaccid penis. Moran.

it was actually proven by NeoFox that images like this are just photoshop mashups between cheetahs, horses and goats

no rational person would think an animal like this existed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know but then my post in the Biosphere Collapse thread doesn't work, just let me have this :mad:

yeah ofc

lol at this idea that coffee going extinct would make society collapse because of dependencies. the idea that you can have a withdrawal means that you've developed a tolerance to it. you don't get too many extra benefits from coffee, most of the time, if you drink several cups every day. you mostly just bring yourself back up to normal if you're the type to develop a severe dependence on it.

anyway it's not like any commodity like that will become unavailable overnight. it would be a dwindling supply over time and anyone that worried would take care of the problem beforehand

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah people will just make something else they’ll call coffee and swallow the cognitive dissonance with every sip.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah people will just make something else they’ll call coffee and swallow the cognitive dissonance with every sip.

nah, musk or bezos or someone else will dump billions into vertical farming or some poo poo before giving up on "real" coffee

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just put some powdered soup stock in hot water and drink that every morning like a normal person

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1483148364384546817

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Trabisnikof posted:

don't even have to make up anything, just go back to good old muckefuck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

nah, musk or bezos or someone else will dump billions into vertical farming or some poo poo before giving up on "real" coffee

maybe but you’re not getting any. You’ll drink your postum, acorns, chicory, or dandelions and be thankful you can pretend it’s coffee because that’s what the guy who sold it to you called it.

Son of Rodney posted:

don't even have to make up anything, just go back to good old muckefuck

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My grandma still prefers coffee with chicory in it because that's what her grandma drank. Her grandma drank that because of the Civil War.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Xaris posted:

it's not. its one of those predicted to become nearly-extinct by people decades ago. and it's happening now. brazil is the largest exporter at like over 1/3rd the world production and with crops hitting 90% complete death, that's a loving lot. and probably isn't going to get better with their extended drought. another large % comes from colombia that had like leaf rot and also extended ongoing drought and loss of crops.

vietnam i think is fairly stable and does produce a lot with relatively okay precipitation, it'll probably become the biggest exporter after brazil's industry collapses. indonesia is probably the 4th largest which likewise is doing badly with droughts and rot. ethiopia is the last major one and likewise doing bad.

there will probably be some small farms in other countries that are doing okay but not nearly enough for the world consumption and prices are gunna skyrocket big time.

unfortunately coffee doesn't last forever so stocking up doesn't help, but do expect to see massive price hikes and coffee shortages soon

the price of green beans has already doubled for most of our imports, however they were also significantly lower than the average for the three or four years previous and a good deal of the current scarcity isn't due to habitat loss or blight but farms moving away from coffee to more lucrative crops. most of the worlds coffee is still farmed for "industrial" purposes, meaning caffeine supplements and those farms are the ones that are going to go first

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I definitely dont have any sort of caffiene addiction - i regularly just dont drink any for a few days. I do like the taste of coffee though so ill be sad when it goes :(

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Is caffeine only able to be produced via extraction from natural resources? Is there an economical process for synthesis?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it was actually proven by NeoFox that images like this are just photoshop mashups between cheetahs, horses and goats

:haibrow:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Kicked Throat posted:

speaking of addictions I just want to live long enough to see the internet go away. I will miss you all but that's the final frontier.

Remake the Twilight Zone episode Time Enough at Last except about a goon who keeps waiting for the opportunity to catch up with C-Spam threads they've fallen behind on.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Wisest Moron posted:

Is caffeine only able to be produced via extraction from natural resources? Is there an economical process for synthesis?

im pretty sure you can synthesize it in a lab but its super soluble and a by product of any of the many decaffeination processes so the economics aren't right for it

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

caffeine pills are better than coffee. cuts out the middleman

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my morning coffee routine (full hipster, filtered pour over) is often the only part of my day that goes right, so I'm gonna miss that when I have to switch to synthetic coffee flavored caffeine beverages

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

filtering my coffee like a hipster

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i drink coffee for the taste, not the caffeine (and yes, my body is addicted to the caffeine)

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

shut up smoobles

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
well this is weird. I didn't even google it and I browse on incognito.

:tinfoilhat:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
hey, im headed to the shops, anyone want a soykaf while im out?

Kicked Throat posted:

so if we get rolling blackouts everywhere, i imagine that means a lot less internet traffic. but not zero since the proliferation of mobile devices. but if it gets to the point that you have to access internet intermittently dictated by power and connection availability, poo poo would be looking pretty dire outside your doorstep.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

whats the caffeine plant the portugese liked

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yerba mate

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

silicone thrills posted:

well this is weird. I didn't even google it and I browse on incognito.

:tinfoilhat:

one time a few months back i was feeling hungry so i hopped on my bicycle to ride over a nearby sandwich shop (which has about 3 or 4 branches locally but isn't a big chain by any definition). i decided to do this, internally in my head, and said nothing out loud to indicate i was doing this because i was alone. i did not bring my phone with me and when i got there, i paid for my sandwich in cash.

when i got back home, i sat at the kitchen table and started eating. in the middle of my meal, i got a message from a friend on instagram so i picked up my phone to answer it. after i answered the message, i started absentmindedly scrolling my feed before being accosted by an advertisement for the tiny sandwich shop i was just at. my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe it. i started wracking my brain as to how the algorithm could possibly know i was just there before it finally hit me: i was holding my phone's front-facing camera over the sandwich wrapper which was plastered with tiny logos of the sandwich shop.

i double-checked my settings and no, instagram was not "allowed" to "access" my cameras lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

the price of green beans has already doubled for most of our imports, however they were also significantly lower than the average for the three or four years previous and a good deal of the current scarcity isn't due to habitat loss or blight but farms moving away from coffee to more lucrative crops. most of the worlds coffee is still farmed for "industrial" purposes, meaning caffeine supplements and those farms are the ones that are going to go first

this was my understanding, too, i mean i get if all commodity coffee goes my precious giant bags of greens will also rise but

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I depend on JIT supplies and reliable power delivery to keep breathing.

lol lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

God Hole posted:

one time a few months back i was feeling hungry so i hopped on my bicycle to ride over a nearby sandwich shop (which has about 3 or 4 branches locally but isn't a big chain by any definition). i decided to do this, internally in my head, and said nothing out loud to indicate i was doing this because i was alone. i did not bring my phone with me and when i got there, i paid for my sandwich in cash.

when i got back home, i sat at the kitchen table and started eating. in the middle of my meal, i got a message from a friend on instagram so i picked up my phone to answer it. after i answered the message, i started absentmindedly scrolling my feed before being accosted by an advertisement for the tiny sandwich shop i was just at. my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe it. i started wracking my brain as to how the algorithm could possibly know i was just there before it finally hit me: i was holding my phone's front-facing camera over the sandwich wrapper which was plastered with tiny logos of the sandwich shop.

i double-checked my settings and no, instagram was not "allowed" to "access" my cameras lol

coincidences do happen

alternately it's just tracking your location 24/7/365

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

as coffee and tea disappear, it's bovril's time to shine!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

God Hole posted:

Instagram and Facebook use facial recognition on photos other people upload to track your location. So it may be that someone else's photo of the coffee shop had you in the background. Or they're just lying about the camera thing :rubby:

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Howdges posted:

moved to Dallas a few months ago (rip) and I was wondering why all the light poles were leaning over the roads and poo poo. like majorly leaning, about to fall over. and then it dawned on me, the ice did this. heavy rear end ice pulled them sideways and they just haven’t bothered to put them back. lol, lmao

The soil is terrible in most of Texas, most places will have issues with the lovely clay expanding/shrinking with wet/dry spells. Building foundations and poles embedded in the soil will have all sorts of issues handling this constant movement so regular maintenance on these items can be expected for the region it had nothing to do with a single ice storm or w/e.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kecske posted:

as coffee and tea disappear, it's bovril's time to shine!

ill just drink miso thanks

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

endlessmonotony posted:

I depend on JIT supplies and reliable power delivery to keep breathing.

lol lmao

You'll be remembered endlessmonotony, you beautiful doom posting cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I drink nice coffee at home and dumpster grade instant coffee at work. If you have more than one cup in a row it starts irritating your stomach lining

I’m ready for anything, I’ll still keep drinking that garbage