Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Randarkman posted:

You probably aren't to find a school history course anywhere in the world that goes into any meaningful detail on Ukraine or even mentions the place more than once or twice, outside of Ukraine and probably some of its neighbors.
Any college syllabi you'd recommend then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

GABA ghoul posted:

If the gas pipelines through Ukraine get shut down or even damaged it's going to be insane on the spot market. Some countries get the majority of their gas supply from there and don't have a lot of long term, price stable contracts. Nord stream 2 might actually go online.
There's been a bunch of drones flying above swedish nuclear plants recently :jerky:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

To be clear, I just meant paying a bit more attention to the thread. Both Grouchio and Gigolo are long term regulars in my eyes, so I was surprised to see a relatively “out there” read on the symbolism of Poroshenko’s arrival.

On the other hand, he’s obviously an oligarch first and foremost, and one with non-zero commercial interests towards Russia. While you could speculate that he’s just a faithful nationalist returning home in the darkest days of the nation, a conspiracy theory I couldn’t personally discard outright would be that the has calculated imminent fall of Zelenskiy’s administration, and is looking to capitalise on that.

The background context here is that he’s facing treason charges for allegedly entering an illegal coal sale deal in Donbas, during his presidency, where at least part of proceeds went towards financing the separatists.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be clear, I just meant paying a bit more attention to the thread. Both Grouchio and Gigolo are long term regulars in my eyes, so I was surprised to see a relatively “out there” read on the symbolism of Poroshenko’s arrival.

On the other hand, he’s obviously an oligarch first and foremost, and one with non-zero commercial interests towards Russia. While you could speculate that he’s just a faithful nationalist returning home in the darkest days of the nation, a conspiracy theory I couldn’t personally discard outright would be that the has calculated imminent fall of Zelenskiy’s administration, and is looking to capitalise on that.

The background context here is that he’s facing treason charges for allegedly entering an illegal coal sale deal in Donbas, during his presidency, where at least part of proceeds went towards financing the separatists.

I misread Poroshenko as Yanukovych. Probably shouldn't post 35 mins after popping a melatonin

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Randarkman posted:

You probably aren't to find a school history course anywhere in the world that goes into any meaningful detail on Ukraine or even mentions the place more than once or twice, outside of Ukraine and probably some of its neighbors.
Yeah... no offense to Ukraine, but there's zero context in which it might come up in a primary or secondary curriculum outside of Eastern Europe. Excepting in a "memorize all the countries in the world" week in geography class.

I was going to say the first place American children would have heard the name is from Yakko's World, but, on rewatching, it appears all the Soviet republics are just put as "Russia" despite the song coming out a couple years post independence :shrug:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1483100755099856896

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

This constant moving troops to and from the border makes me think Russians are doing the classic caracole maneuver against Ukraine, except they're not firing their shots.

Russia only actually has 10 tanks now, they keep sending the same train loaded with them in a circle to deceive CIA observers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a military exercise. Again. It is known that it's for a military exercise, as it was officially announced today. For all Lukashenko's faults he would never allow to launch an offensive on Ukraine from Belarusian soil, and it's insane that people still react to obvious trolling by Russia like that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Paladinus posted:

It's a military exercise. Again. It is known that it's for a military exercise, as it was officially announced today. For all Lukashenko's faults he would never allow to launch an offensive on Ukraine from Belarusian soil, and it's insane that people still react to obvious trolling by Russia like that.

Are you aware of how closely war game exercises and actual invasions look? Because it's pretty much identical with the only difference being the actual invasion. "Just military exercises" as a jumping off point to war is such a well known trope that its even satirized in the Civilization games ffs.

Look up Able Archer 83 if you want an idea of how sufficiently realistic wargames look to a country that isn't participating in them

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb an assume you don't live in Ukraine.

At best, it's a feint. A feint within a feint, if you think Russia isn't being serious. And Belarus joining in with the invasion is not something Ukrainian military planners can discount out of hand as easily as you. Even if you're right, and Lukashenko won't go that far, it'll still tie up troops in the North when the Russians invade from other directions.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia could be feinting troop buildup to cause Ukraine to mount a defense of Kiev instead of defending the minsk protocol buffer line. Achieving operational victory by sending Ukraine back to the dniper.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Or it could be yet another pointless military exercise, one of many that happens every year in Belarus. Hard to say.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah... no offense to Ukraine, but there's zero context in which it might come up in a primary or secondary curriculum outside of Eastern Europe. Excepting in a "memorize all the countries in the world" week in geography class.

I was going to say the first place American children would have heard the name is from Yakko's World, but, on rewatching, it appears all the Soviet republics are just put as "Russia" despite the song coming out a couple years post independence :shrug:

It comes up when discussing the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, and the whole thing about Ukraine being the bread basket of Europe, but that's about it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

It comes up when discussing the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, and the whole thing about Ukraine being the bread basket of Europe, but that's about it.

I don't really see the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk getting mentioned at all in primary and secondary education outside of Eastern Europe.

e: In Norway, WW1 is basically rushed through in the high school history curriculum and for a while it was considered to be dropped all together, and to only exist as a backdrop for summarizing the Russian revolution and Nazi Germany being angry about something.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 17, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I don't really see the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk getting mentioned at all in primary and secondary education outside of Eastern Europe.

e: In Norway, WW1 is basically rushed through in the high school history curriculum and for a while it was considered to be dropped all together, and to only exist as a backdrop for summarizing the Russian revolution and Nazi Germany being angry about something.

It came up in my classes. :shrug: Not by name necessarily, but Russia dropping out of the war and Germany picking up territory like Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

EU signing off on it

https://tass.com/world/1389297

The United States and the European Union are not considering an option of disconnecting Russia from SWIFT and are discussing target economic sanctions against the largest Russian banks instead, Handelsblatt newspaper reported on Monday, citing sources in the German government.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Randarkman posted:

Hell, my undergraduate Soviet history course barely went into anything Ukraine-specific. IIRC there was discussion of the "Dizzy with success" article, but really only in the context of collectivization in general, not really with regard to outcomes in any specific SSR. That was about it. Didn't take the earlier history course, but it looks like that was 1500s onward, so probably not much on Ukraine either. The Russian department's cultural courses didn't go into much more than a cursory overview of ethnic diversity in the empire and USSR, but not really to the extent of detailing the different Slavic cultures (as an aside we did get assigned this very readable survey of Siberian cultures, which I'd recommend).

That level of detail is probably gonna be graduate-level only outside maybe a few very large departments (searching around semi-randomly, Harvard at least has undergrad Ukrainian language and culture courses).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Bunch of people thirsty for war itt imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The only mentions of Ukraine in my US public schooling were related to Chernobyl, and even then it was more or less related as a Russian event. I’m an outlier as a history enthusiast who read a lot of books, and pretty much everything I know of Ukrainian history now is from spending time in Odessa and Kiyv with a bunch of friends who wanted to share stories with me.

I don’t think many in the US would give a gently caress at all if Hunter Biden hadn’t gone there in the middle of a bugnuts news cycle.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Preoptopus posted:

Why, is Putin here?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

EU signing off on it

https://tass.com/world/1389297

The United States and the European Union are not considering an option of disconnecting Russia from SWIFT and are discussing target economic sanctions against the largest Russian banks instead, Handelsblatt newspaper reported on Monday, citing sources in the German government.

Disconnecting SWIFT would be satisfying from a ‘haha, gently caress you’ perspective, but what they say in the article is correct - it would also hurt western markets and would accelerate Russia building an alternative system with other asian countries. Instead it gives insight into Russian financial operations and allows for a more targeted approach - only thing is it hasn’t really been used properly yet, the sanctions system is lackluster at best.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Preoptopus posted:

You are right, everybody is pleased as peach over the possibility of a war starting next door to where they live.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
When you think about it, maybe the real aggression is the anxiety over Russia's overt threats we expressed along the way.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

From liveuamap: White House National Security Council spokesperson says "no option is off the table" - in response to Handelsblatt report that Western countries are considering scaling back Russia sanctions package by stripping out a cut off from Swift

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Just listened to a podcast self-described as a European left-wing take on European politics that doesn't deserve to get name dropped. Apparently, in this context, "left-wing" means ludicrous apologism for Putin's right-wing imperialism and just straight up brain worms.

In brain worms land, the West is the impetus behind the crisis and Russia's done literally nothing at all but for defensively stationing troops on its borders to deter Western aggression like missile bases in Poland. Anti-Russian sentiment in the Baltics is proof positive that they're 100% nationalist neo-Nazis and, by the way, Crimeans are ethnically Russian and just invited Russia to reclaim the territory, which is cool and good.

It's all just a toxic concoction of falsehoods, non sequiturs, and outright hypocrisy that comes from being steeped in a bubble of pro-Putin memes for years on end. If Russia does end up attacking again and seizing territory, it'll be interesting to see what justifications they come up with to support it after repeating ad nauseam that this is just NATO saber rattling. Though, honestly, it would probably just be obvious bullshit like "it was a preventative strike to stop Nazi aggression and, hey, remember the invasion of Iraq? loving USA imperialist pig dogs"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It'll be a mix of some specific 'provocation' triggering a push to assert control in the face of the vague 'deteriorating security situation' that prompted the troop mobilizations in the first place, and also providing water to Crimea.

And you know? It's all true! Because Crimea needs better access to utilities before next summer, and it did seem like the Ukrainian military (with Western backing) was planning a move on Donbas last year that only preemptive reinforcing of the frontier put a stop to.

Of course, in the first place those are only concerns for Russia because of what they did in 2014 :v:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

In brain worms land, the West is the impetus behind the crisis and Russia's done literally nothing at all but for defensively stationing troops on its borders to deter Western aggression like missile bases in Poland. Anti-Russian sentiment in the Baltics is proof positive that they're 100% nationalist neo-Nazis and, by the way, Crimeans are ethnically Russian and just invited Russia to reclaim the territory, which is cool and good.

I think it's rational for Russia's former satellites to seek the protection of an outside alliance like NATO, but I also think Russia's rational to view the US admitting all of those states who clearly bring more liabilities than assets to the table as being motivated by continuing anti-Russian animus and a desire to contain/rollback Russian power and influence to the greatest extent possible. Is that actually why the US does it? I think it's at least part of the calculation, where the US does often have high-minded reasons for doing things...that just happen to coincide with utterly cynical foreign policy objectives, as when we engaged in humanitarian interventions in locations that just happened to be friendly to Russia rather than to the West, while overlooking the crimes of regimes we support, or even of other NATO allies like Turkey.

If Russia does think the US is pursuing a maximalist rollback strategy against it, it then makes sense for Russia to push back to the greatest extent that it can without provoking an even bigger disaster, since calmly watching while it happened just invited more of the same. Does that mean it's right for Russia to invade Ukraine? Not if you're most Ukrainians, obviously, but I do think Ukraine and the West are being unreasonable by not being willing to offer any kind of security guarantees about future alliance membership. I get why the West is resisting, because Russia will presumably shift to 'okay, now that we've established that you won't invite Ukraine, here are other states we won't allow to join,' but if Ukraine actually does get invaded, I think the Ukrainian leadership's unwillingness to be pragmatic will look like a pretty big blunder. As the thread I posted before discussed, NATO membership for Ukraine isn't realistic in the first place, and Crimea is probably going to be Russian for the rest of our lives, so while I don't think they should give those chips away for nothing, I do think accepting those realities in return for some kind of security guarantee makes a lot of sense, and that the West should probably remove some of the sanctions for that invasion in return for reduced tensions and ideally a return of the Russian-occupied portions of eastern Ukraine (obviously not including Crimea). Of course there's a chance Russia comes back demanding more later, but them's the breaks, sucks to have a more powerful neighbor while being sufficiently removed from the Western core that they can't/won't provide reliable guarantees on your behalf I guess. Finland found a way to placate the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and I think a rational Ukrainian leadership could do the same now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 18, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does NATO really want Ukraine to join? Like ever? I feel like they don't. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because there would be little to gain and potentially a lot to lose if Ukraine was ever invaded.

If NATO doesn't really want Ukraine to join (but they can't openly admit that) and Russia obviously doesn't want Ukraine to join doesn't that sort of put NATO and Russia on the same page? And couldn't that potentially be a way to de-escalate the situation? Of course it would have to be done with neither side losing face.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Probably some NATO members do want Ukraine to join, and more would if circumstances allowed, which is part of why it's hard to disavow the idea entirely. Like if you're in Lithuania or even Poland you probably want things to keep moving in the direction of pushing back Russian influence so you're not on the front line, even if you're already a full member of the alliance, at least if that can be done peacefully, while some of the older members who already feel that the alliance brought in buffer states probably feel like they're safe enough as it is and don't want to risk economic relationships over it. The US obviously tends toward the maximalist approach as much by default as anything imo, and has disproportionate influence in the alliance for obvious reasons, which is why I'd ideally like to see Ukraine blink, because I think some Americans would rather see Russia invade Ukraine and give NATO a continuing purpose in standing firm against future Russian aggression while trying to cripple Russia economically than concede that NATO has any reason to limit its expansion anywhere.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine falling or rumping absolutely doubles the resolve of NATO. And as such will probably be allowed to happen to continue US European influence.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia began emptying out its embassy in Kyiv, Ukraine. On Jan. 5, 18 people—mostly the children and wives of Russian diplomats—boarded buses and embarked on a 15-hour drive home to Moscow. About 30 more followed in the next few days, from Kyiv and Lviv

Edit sorry for double post

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

MyMomSaysImKeen posted:

I'm a Russian citizen on vacation in Ukraine and I genuinely had no idea this was occurring.

Thankfully I drove here in a T-72 with an AK, and a few extra pairs of green fatigues

it's actually common to wake up with a T-72 and no idea how it got there

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sinteres posted:

If Russia does think the US is pursuing a maximalist rollback strategy against it, it then makes sense for Russia to push back to the greatest extent that it can without provoking an even bigger disaster, since calmly watching while it happened just invited more of the same. Does that mean it's right for Russia to invade Ukraine? Not if you're most Ukrainians, obviously, but I do think Ukraine and the West are being unreasonable by not being willing to offer any kind of security guarantees about future alliance membership. I get why the West is resisting, because Russia will presumably shift to 'okay, now that we've established that you won't invite Ukraine, here are other states we won't allow to join,' but if Ukraine actually does get invaded, I think the Ukrainian leadership's unwillingness to be pragmatic will look like a pretty big blunder. As the thread I posted before discussed, NATO membership for Ukraine isn't realistic in the first place, and Crimea is probably going to be Russian for the rest of our lives, so while I don't think they should give those chips away for nothing, I do think accepting those realities in return for some kind of security guarantee makes a lot of sense, and that the West should probably remove some of the sanctions for that invasion in return for reduced tensions and ideally a return of the Russian-occupied portions of eastern Ukraine (obviously not including Crimea). Of course there's a chance Russia comes back demanding more later, but them's the breaks, sucks to have a more powerful neighbor while being sufficiently removed from the Western core that they can't/won't provide reliable guarantees on your behalf I guess. Finland found a way to placate the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and I think a rational Ukrainian leadership could do the same now.

Where else could Russia even demand aren't allowed allowed to join NATO if Ukraine is disregarded? Turkey and the Baltic states have already been lost to NATO from their POV, which is a major strategic handicap to Russia and probably their next biggest issue after Ukraine when we are talking about their Western foreign policy, and I doubt they would ask for something as nuts as expelling currently existing members. Finland seems like the only realistic candidate next but if that's the case then the Russians are playing a dangerous game since its typically been best for everybody to just let Finland perform its tightrope balancing act like its done since the 1940s, acting aggressively towards the countries that border Russia only makes NATO seem much more useful to said countries, and I can't imagine that Finns are terrifically fond of what they are seeing in Ukraine. After that its ridiculous Clancy level stuff of NATO trying to make inroads in the Caucasus or Central Asia but if recent history has indicated anything to me its that America and its satellites really do not consider these places worth the hassle of antagonizing Russia as the Georgians and Armenians found out the hard way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there really any evidence - at this point - that Russian is going to invade then occupy Ukraine? If anything, it seems to me that they're planning some version of '97 Desert Fox. Destroy the Countries military, infrastructure, etc. then simply leave.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charliegrs posted:

Does NATO really want Ukraine to join? Like ever? I feel like they don't. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because there would be little to gain and potentially a lot to lose if Ukraine was ever invaded.

If NATO doesn't really want Ukraine to join (but they can't openly admit that) and Russia obviously doesn't want Ukraine to join doesn't that sort of put NATO and Russia on the same page? And couldn't that potentially be a way to de-escalate the situation? Of course it would have to be done with neither side losing face.

No. They dont. This is why neo-realists have been saying the US needs to be explicit about Ukraine not being an ally.

Only issue is Putin cleary knows that Ukraine is not actually going to become a NATO member, yet it doesn't change his behavior or rhetoric.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there really any evidence - at this point - that Russian is going to invade then occupy Ukraine? If anything, it seems to me that they're planning some version of '97 Desert Fox. Destroy the Countries military, infrastructure, etc. then simply leave.

Or make Ukraine accept the full version of the peace deal it was offered the first time it was defeated, which would assure a perpetual yanukovich like leader.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FishBulbia posted:

No. They dont. This is why neo-realists

I've never heard of "neo-realists" before. I'm curious what differentiates them from just regular old realists?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just listened to a podcast self-described as a European left-wing take on European politics that doesn't deserve to get name dropped. Apparently, in this context, "left-wing" means ludicrous apologism for Putin's right-wing imperialism and just straight up brain worms.

It's all just a toxic concoction of falsehoods, non sequiturs, and outright hypocrisy that comes from being steeped in a bubble of pro-Putin memes for years on end. If Russia does end up attacking again and seizing territory, it'll be interesting to see what justifications they come up with to support it after repeating ad nauseam that this is just NATO saber rattling. Though, honestly, it would probably just be obvious bullshit like "it was a preventative strike to stop Nazi aggression and, hey, remember the invasion of Iraq? loving USA imperialist pig dogs"

I wonder what would happen if somebody said that Morales deserved to be overthrown because Bolivia challenged the Monroe doctrine, and thus brought too much stress to US security.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This wouldn't achieve any strategic objectives that Russia has for Ukraine
- Would confirm Russia as the psychotic bad guy that attacks its neighbors with whatever consequences
- Further resolve to join NATO and EU for Ukrainians
- Installed Yanukovich figure overthrown in two days
- Crimean water access not secured
- Russian speakers not saved, Czar looks weak, no bump in polls
Etc

The only outcome I see is an occupation, massive repressions and flooding Europe with refugees as punishment which is again, nuts to think about but not zero chance of happening

It's truly bizarre poo poo and I hope we get media analysis books written about the world class political PR that Russia does. It really boggles the mind how the people posting all day about satan united states invading Iraq or Saudi Arabia invading Yemen turn around and post apology for Russia invading its neighbours because hurr durr it has internal logic and reasons to do vile poo poo

The crux is still how for some reason Russia's actions are only seen from "realist"/realpolitik perspective while everyone else has to be very palatable symbolically and does not deserve their actions being seen from a realpolitik perspective (e.g. trying to join a military alliance that will protect them from the chimp with a nuclear grenade). Still need to wrap my head around that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Somaen posted:

The crux is still how for some reason Russia's actions are only seen from "realist"/realpolitik perspective while everyone else has to be very palatable symbolically and does not deserve their actions being seen from a realpolitik perspective (e.g. trying to join a military alliance that will protect them from the chimp with a nuclear grenade). Still need to wrap my head around that one

From a realist perspective, Ukraine is also rationally motivated. The issue is its goals are insignificant compared to powers which can delete life on earth in under an hour. Neorealists mostly claim that the US has surrendered its interests in exchange for vague notions of principals, and is therefore harming its geopolitical goals by being lost in rhetoric.