Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

How old is Kat, because it's possible she doesn't really have a choice.

There is a good chance this is what happens. Maybe the court will blackmail Kat like they did to Tony and force her to work for them. 50/50 on whether she'll be able to tell Annie why she is leaving if this does happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JuniperCake posted:

There is a good chance this is what happens. Maybe the court will blackmail Kat like they did to Tony and force her to work for them. 50/50 on whether she'll be able to tell Annie why she is leaving if this does happen.

How? They got nothing on her as far as I can see, and they're about to lose the majority of their workforce since 90% of their employees are either non-humans or connected to the ether in some way (the robots, the fairies and forest creatures they gave bodies, probably Smitty, I doubt Eglamore is super eager to leave that hot elf he's dating) so forcing her to go seems like something I doubt they'd even have the resources for.

It's just a super poorly run organization. Aata was like their best guy, and they're firing him for saving another one of their most devoted employees. If they wanna leave let em', they're allowed to go be incompetent somewhere else if they want.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, were there even any shadowy Court forces oppressing main characters in the story? I mean more than is usual for British boarding school? :v:

Annie did have to go to detention for a while. Does that count?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Can we go back to when there were two Annies

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

skaianDestiny posted:

Been saying this

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
can we go back to when i had hope?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

skaianDestiny posted:

How about more Tony?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
An entire chapter about Tony and his spreadsheets.

Though honestly I think a "day in the life of Tony" chapter could be an interesting way to get some behind-the-scenes info about the Omega device or other inner Court workings. It could work as a nice, short chapter to maybe set some things up or give us a little more info that doesn't involve a character straight telling us.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Niavmai posted:

can we go back to when i had hope?

In the year 2022? You jest!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean, her parents are alive, well-adjusted and love her (and are staying behind), so I have hard time seeing them pressuring her into anything she doesn't want just because she is a minor. And if the Court/shadow men would try doing that instead, her parents would almost certainly not like that at all and intervene.

Yeah, that's impossible. Nothing like that could ever happen.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is a really boring way to deliver what should be interesting plot development. At least have Shell narrate over action-filled panels instead of having the cast raise their eyebrows at each other in a bland room.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I gotta be real with you dog this is kind of an insane and inappropriate comparison to make. You could've just said "yeah the court could force her anyway" instead of bringing up the real life example of a bunch of indigenous children being forcibly assimilated, abused, and killed, and then comparing that to a white girl in a webcomic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Kat isn't white (she's Rom) but I agree that I don't quite see the parallel.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Kat isn't white (she's Rom) but I agree that I don't quite see the parallel.
Never knew that, my bad! Good to know.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why don't we discuss something more fun, like where Loup is and what he's hiding as? I mean, if Coyote could disguise himself as a goose, the goose's wife, and even a lake, Loup should be able to do the same.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Shell became a muppet because she was Loup all along?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I'm still subscribed to the idea that Loup is hiding within Renard. The way he was acting and the lingering shots on him when Annie talked about him hiding feel suspicious and foreshadowy to me.

It would also provide the difficult quandary of having to sacrifice Renard to kill Loup.

Also, an interesting thing I just realized: Is Tony going with the Court? They seem very attached to him with how they tracked him and dragged him out of the wilderness after his Get-Wife-Back-Quest, and he seems to have been an integral part of developing Omega.

If Tony refuses because he wants to take care of Annie, that would be some serious loving evidence of character growth and willingness to make sacrifices for his daughter, something we've complained has been missing from the comic thus far.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Also, an interesting thing I just realized: Is Tony going with the Court? They seem very attached to him with how they tracked him and dragged him out of the wilderness after his Get-Wife-Back-Quest, and he seems to have been an integral part of developing Omega.

If Tony refuses because he wants to take care of Annie, that would be some serious loving evidence of character growth and willingness to make sacrifices for his daughter, something we've complained has been missing from the comic thus far.
While the Court is attached to him, his attachment is to their blackmail material, Annie's future. I can't see how Tony is working with them knowing Annie has absoutely no future with the Court and I don't see why he wouldn't ditch them on the spot once he learns that. He already feels like he's lost a daughter and I don't see him throwing away the one he still has.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Plus there's a slight chance he doesn't even know the final goal either. I don't know how high Juliette is on the chain of command, but she has enough resources to hide a pretty sizable population of androids and still not know the Court's plan.

Tony might know about Omega, but might not know that the Court intends to leave all etheric users behind.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Tiny Myers posted:

I gotta be real with you dog this is kind of an insane and inappropriate comparison to make

You are 100% correct but this thread is full of people claiming "[thing] would never happen" (see: lovely bureaucracy being run by petulant manchildren) or "why doesn't [thing] happen?" (see: donlans adopting antimony) so there is a need to have real examples of stuff. I only picked that one because it's kind of a big deal in my area and I want more people to be aware of it.

Tony does not give the slightest poo poo about the Court and is really obviously going to do whatever Antimony does. He's only working with them because they have/had blackmailed him and if the Court is bailing on Antimony anyways hes not going to care anymore. He's another case of the Court probably going to try and force him to come some way depending on the whole Omega situation.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, it wouldn't be surprising if the Court just straight up murdered Anthony if he bails out. It's been referenced multiple times by multiple people that he is really deep and involved with Omega and the Court isn't above murdering someone for their own safety or greater purpose.

life_source fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 18, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Shell became a muppet because she was Loup all along?

Loup is the One Piece of treasure at the end of the Grand Line. Gunnerkrigg Court converts into a page-by-page redraw of One Piece. We finally see a conclusion to this penultimate arc in 30 years.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I don't mind Shells design tbh.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

which of her designs, sometimes she goes through a couple per page

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
seriously why are the adults acting like hormone filled teenagers who cant even articulate arguments

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I genuinely don't get what the "You're spilling all the secrets, you're up to something!" when the only people in this room are Morris, Arthur, and two teenage girls who've just been established that one's father is key to the project, and the other would definitely be welcome in the new place, ending with basically shrug.gif ask your dad about the actual key omega stuff. This has mostly been talking about how wonderful Aata is and the plan to move, all their previous interactions were civil and Morris has already made it clear she's not attached to the court and is like welp I quit. Why is she lashing out like this is a "no you!" high school slapfight over what's been revealed? I don't get why they're fighting it just. what??

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

seriously why are the adults acting like hormone filled teenagers who cant even articulate arguments

What you don't think "Well you're keeping the robots secrets from the shadow men with their secret plan to leave everyone behind!" is a good rebuttal?

I'm not feeling Shell at all. She's like this weird confused walking infodump

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah I'm very :psyduck: at this. Why are they fighting? This feels really weird and abrupt and childish, like it was just introduced to cause tension in the scene.

Maybe if we'd seen Juliette squinting suspiciously at her and crossing her arms for the entire scene, and had Shell say some more suspicious things, rather than basically confirming what we already know and then adding some reasonable exposition on top. But then it's abruptly like YOU MUST BE UP TO SOMETHING. Up to... what?

coolusername posted:

I genuinely don't get what the "You're spilling all the secrets, you're up to something!" when the only people in this room are Morris, Arthur, and two teenage girls
Like what. What. I wasn't expecting this at all when I saw the prior page. Just very strange.

I was trying to give this scene credit because I feel like I've been too harsh on the comic lately and at least it's doing something, it's giving us information, it's moving us closer to finding out what Omega is, but this was too much for me.

It's also been a shitton of pages of talking heads expositing in a room in a way I don't think the comic has done before. If you compare it to something like Microsat 5, that was a lot of dialogue and exposition but it was also paired with a flashback, characters moving, doing things, et cetera.

Just feels a bit... phoned in. I really don't know what it's doing anymore.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah I'm very :psyduck: at this. Why are they fighting? This feels really weird and abrupt and childish, like it was just introduced to cause tension in the scene.

Maybe if we'd seen Juliette squinting suspiciously at her and crossing her arms for the entire scene, and had Shell say some more suspicious things, rather than basically confirming what we already know and then adding some reasonable exposition on top. But then it's abruptly like YOU MUST BE UP TO SOMETHING. Up to... what?

Exactly, what has Shell said that makes her sound like she's up to something? She hasn't tried to manipulate them against anyone, nothing she's told them has an obvious angle and she hasn't tried to push them in any direction. 90% of this has been about Aata being great, and 10% is well the ether is unfair guuys straight infodumping.

She hasn't tried to convince Kat fiercely to leave, just told her she can go. She hasn't tried to pit them against any other member of the court, she tells them directly Tony has the information they need rather than setting them up for conflict with an enemy or lying. At most you've got the vague "The ether is unfair!" but it's hardly argued well, immediately shot down, and there's no serious attempt to sway the non-ether beings in the room against the ether beings. Their previous dialogue was basically "You'll be welcome in the Court." "well my boyfriend is a robot so no." "okay."

Shell doesn't appear to have a goal here at all beyond being an infodump, let alone being up to something. This is such a huge emotional jump from two supposed adults who weren't at all bickering or heated before this, there's no build-up to why this isn't a calm discussion like the other 10 pages, and she's talking to the daughter of one of the key architects, a prime candidate for the move, and a former colleague she hasn't had apparent beef with before -- hell, wasn't there a whole page where she just casually revealed Arthur and the robots earlier to Shell? That wouldn't make sense if they had a grudge against each other or she thought Shell was some vast manipulative talent working for the Shadow men loyally. And she declared her intention to quit! Why are they fighting now over water cooler talk when none of them have loyalty to the institution in question?

If it was her getting Kat alone for the plan reveal and disguising the bit where Annie and the robots will be left behind, then that would make sense, but this just has me baffled. It's like we're missing a couple of pages where she shittalks robots or something.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Like what. What. I wasn't expecting this at all when I saw the prior page. Just very strange.

I was trying to give this scene credit because I feel like I've been too harsh on the comic lately and at least it's doing something, it's giving us information, it's moving us closer to finding out what Omega is, but this was too much for me.

It's also been a shitton of pages of talking heads expositing in a room in a way I don't think the comic has done before. If you compare it to something like Microsat 5, that was a lot of dialogue and exposition but it was also paired with a flashback, characters moving, doing things, et cetera.

Just feels a bit... phoned in. I really don't know what it's doing anymore.

Juliette's body language has been all over the place in these past strips in a way that I'm not really used to in this comic.
2574=Angry
2573=suspicious
2572= ? (seriously, what is that middle pose?) and possessive
2565=interested
2564=crossed arms, so likely sceptical, ? (seriously what? childish determination I think?), surprise, pensive
2563= ?, bashful

You know, going through these comics, apparently they're in what appears to be quite a large office that has only a single chair. Said chair is not very good for work at that desk though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A big flaming stink posted:

Came to post this. Tom writes kids and teenagers very well but this is not adults talking.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Being suspicious of Shell here is reasonable. There's no reason not to ask her to clarify her motives, but also no reason to pick a fight over it so :shrug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah asking her why she's here and dumping info is fair, but this response is still kinda out there.

Also it feels like the problems of characters not having motivations (or us not having any way to know them) for their actions or behaviours continues to worsen, which has been my main complaint for a while now.

I dont have any idea what anyone wants or why they are doing what they are doing page to page, except maybe Kat and even then less than I use to - she's always had the most transparent ones, and lately even for her I'm not entirely sure.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

All of this, coupled with his dislike toward how he handled the twin Annie resolution chapter, makes me feel like he's losing passion for the project. It really seems like he's just trying to stuff in exposition and plot points without really making them flow in a coherent way.

This is how we end up with the adults exploding unexpectedly into conflict on this page. He might've planned them getting into a conflict, but wasn't exactly sure how to maneuver there from where they started.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

eh I can buy it as defensive anger. where juliette's disbelief at how much she was kept in the dark over something so fundamental to the court's motives is causing her to reflexively cast doubt on the information suddenly being dropped on her.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I mean, maybe it could be, but it doesn't really feel like it I don't think?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Seems like Shells being written like a teenager some more to me. Just a whole bunch of weak gotchas because heaven forbid she ever make a single good point.
Juliette just appears to navigating a whole load Shells' potent nonsense while processing a huge revelation.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Juliette began getting angry on the previous page when Shell brought up the omega device and told Annie to ask her father about it. The most generous reading I can find is that Juliette knows more than she's letting on and is angry about something we the readers aren't yet aware of, or is faking anger / overreacting to keep Shell from revealing some info Juliette doesn't want Annie / Kat from knowing.

However, like many of you, I'm not sure I have that much faith in the comic anymore. If the characters immediately begin questioning this outburst then hopefully it'll point towards this.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

All of this, coupled with his dislike toward how he handled the twin Annie resolution chapter, makes me feel like he's losing passion for the project. It really seems like he's just trying to stuff in exposition and plot points without really making them flow in a coherent way.

as far as i know he has the comic written many months in advance, and is only posting them with the schedule. we'd have to know exactly how far in advance to be able to say stuff like this.

my faith is all but completely gone, i guess. i was so excited when the loup stuff started happening, and now we have adults of the big secret organization fighting like children. i keep wanting to give the benefit of the doubt, but all of my cool and interesting theories and hopes have been completely wrecked by whatever this garbage is. .... maybe it's actually time for me to stop.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Juliette began getting angry on the previous page when Shell brought up the omega device and told Annie to ask her father about it. The most generous reading I can find is that Juliette knows more than she's letting on and is angry about something we the readers aren't yet aware of, or is faking anger / overreacting to keep Shell from revealing some info Juliette doesn't want Annie / Kat from knowing.

However, like many of you, I'm not sure I have that much faith in the comic anymore. If the characters immediately begin questioning this outburst then hopefully it'll point towards this.

Especially recently a lot of the posts in this thread have been attempting to rationalize the writing in this way. Something weird happens that defies a level headed explanation, we come up with excuses for why things might have transpired that way, hope for quick answers.... and then the chapter ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit

Niavmai posted:

as far as i know he has the comic written many months in advance, and is only posting them with the schedule. we'd have to know exactly how far in advance to be able to say stuff like this.

my faith is all but completely gone, i guess. i was so excited when the loup stuff started happening, and now we have adults of the big secret organization fighting like children. i keep wanting to give the benefit of the doubt, but all of my cool and interesting theories and hopes have been completely wrecked by whatever this garbage is. .... maybe it's actually time for me to stop.

Counterpoint: fan theories and fandoms in general suck because they only focus on what already exists and thus inevitably become an ouroboros of incestuous self-referencial garbage that completely ignore the author can do whatever they want with a story like introduce new characters, concepts, or just dump old crappy plot threads or themes entirely.

That said, yeah this metastory blows now.