Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
If I'm understanding the order of operations correctly, Zak tried to shove two witnesses, and presumably their testimony, into opposing council's deposition shortly before it was supposed to begin (this was all being done remotely, so that means that the two witnesses would be on the zoom call). Vivka's lawyers immediately file for an order of protection in order to shoo them out, arguing that the only reason Zak would want them in the deposition is to intimidate Amanda while she's giving testimony. Zak's lawyers argue, I don't know, something. Probably, in legalese speak, "well what we're doing is technically allowed by the court so that's what we're doing, whether or not the defendant feels intimidated is their problem and not ours".

The judge hears that and says "that's a crap argument, you're not even bothering to try and hide the fact that you're attempting to intimidate the witness. Order of protection is granted, sanctions for Zak for trying to pull this incredibly stupid stunt, and sanctions to Zak's lawyer for going along with it"

Am I reading this right

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Froghammer posted:

If I'm understanding the order of operations correctly, Zak tried to shove two witnesses, and presumably their testimony, into opposing council's deposition shortly before it was supposed to begin (this was all being done remotely, so that means that the two witnesses would be on the zoom call). Vivka's lawyers immediately file for an order of protection in order to shoo them out, arguing that the only reason Zak would want them in the deposition is to intimidate Amanda while she's giving testimony. Zak's lawyers argue, I don't know, something. Probably, in legalese speak, "well what we're doing is technically allowed by the court so that's what we're doing, whether or not the defendant feels intimidated is their problem and not ours".

The judge hears that and says "that's a crap argument, you're not even bothering to try and hide the fact that you're attempting to intimidate the witness. Order of protection is granted, sanctions for Zak for trying to pull this incredibly stupid stunt, and sanctions to Zak's lawyer for going along with it"

Am I reading this right

That's what I'm reading as well, yeah.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't seen the text of the ruling, but that's 100% consistent with how he handled getting thrown off of the Reddit OSR channel. I'd bet a dollar that the two surprise witnesses are the same two defenders who spammed his copy/paste defense all over that sub.

It didn't work there either, but something something repeating the same action expecting different results.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/shockwaver/status/1483146438104211461

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It is kinda funny that they literally put in a public email and statement "I dunno just commit free trial fraud and spin up a bunch of emails to get free prime."

But yeah, once they took Amazon's blood money, and with how long it took them to put out any of these details it's kinda what I've been expecting.

It sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

88,887 backers pledged $11,385,449 to help bring this project to life

:lol:

Kickstarter: give us millions so we can put our product on Amazon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol:

Kickstarter: give us millions so we can put our product on Amazon.

That part I was expecting tbh maybe I'm just used to it from video games but Kickstarter has been used as a "proof of interest" thing to leverage for more money from some other publisher/company for as long as it's been around.

I get taking the Amazon money once they showed interest, as Amazon fully funded one complete season and gave them another, but they really should have found a way to at least put up the initial episodes funded by the kickstarter not on Amazon, but alas, Amazon gotta get those metrics.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...actually yeah how has the CritRoll TV show thing been going.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hostile V posted:

...actually yeah how has the CritRoll TV show thing been going.

Releases next week. As a Prime Original™

Trailer they released was alright, the only actual scene they released from the show was rough.

So I guess we'll find out...

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Dexo posted:

Releases next week. As a Prime Original™

Trailer they released was alright, the only actual scene they released from the show was rough.

So I guess we'll find out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYSVcn60ik

Yeah, no kidding. The animation is worse than some Newgrounds videos

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Qoey posted:

If it's anything like Invincible they are going to just bare bones all but the most important scenes and pump almost all of it's budget into the major set pieces and action.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I took a look at The Legend of Vox Machina Animated Special Kickstarter, and unless I'm missing something not a single support tier promised full access to the actual animated special or series, it's all a bunch of extras and trinkets. The closest is in the tiers $1000 and above, which promised access to a private screening.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Qoey posted:

Oh, ha, the hilarity of projectile vomiting. Written by the Algonquin Roundtable, clearly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I took a look at The Legend of Vox Machina Animated Special Kickstarter, and unless I'm missing something not a single support tier promised full access to the actual animated special or series, it's all a bunch of extras and trinkets. The closest is in the tiers $1000 and above, which promised access to a private screening.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s/posts/2674520

quote:

Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020.

Technically you can access it for free, but lmao.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Qoey posted:

This is about as good as listening to someone talk about their dreams.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, ha, the hilarity of projectile vomiting. Written by the Algonquin Roundtable, clearly.

Have you read much Thurber? Half of his jokes were about getting embarassingly drunk, the other half were a mix of "I wanna gently caress someone not my wife" and "I don't wanna gently caress the ol' battle axe!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

To be clear, unless I'm misreading the original campaign or they altered it post-facto, none of the lower tiers promised access even to a special screening.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be clear, unless I'm misreading the original campaign or they altered it post-facto, none of the lower tiers promised access even to a special screening.

It wasn't tied to a tier, the tiers were for whatever other nonsense you wanted as a bonus.

Anyone who backed was going to get access to the episodes as they stated in various updates. That obviously changed when Amazon stepped in to fund a full season and another season. But yeaaaah

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Qoey posted:

Is that as unwatchably awkward as I perceived it as, or am I really biased against Critical Role?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is that as unwatchably awkward as I perceived it as, or am I really biased against Critical Role?

Yeah it's pretty awkward, and generally I like Critical Role, but the stuff I like about it tends to come more from the Drama, and the comedy that arises from like playing the game via dumb die rolls.

Also people tend to be more forgiving of this type of comedy or scene as an improv or scene narration set up, or a reaction of someone making a bad roll than actually seeing it played out straight on screen

Scripting Comedy is hard as fuuuuck.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yeah, if there were explicit statements that all backers would get access to the show and they are delivering this it is poo poo and inexcusable.

You can contrast this with the MST3K season 11 Kickstarter, where even though they ended up signing on with Netflix (which caused issues down the line and has prompted them to take a different tack for season 13) backers at qualifying tiers all got access to show downloads via VHX, so it is absolutely possible to get signed with one of the big-name streaming platforms and still provide a means for backers who don't subscribe to that platform to get access to your thing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
You'd think with how often amazon gives out freebies they'd at least have done something like "backers get a code for 1 month of free prime included!" Instead of that awkward "just use a fake email if you've had prime before" work around.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Despite streaming whole catalogs as a service being king of our free time, you can still individually purchase shows, seasons and episodes of things on Amazon and Google Play. It's inconceivable to me that Amazon doesn't have the infrastructure to send coupons to backers so they can access the show in perpetuity. "Must have an Amazon account" still kind of sucks, but fighting against that is the far less realistic battle of totally reshaping our society than what's happening now that's just "reasonable standards of receiving the product you paid for."

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 18, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
After sufficient fallout backer fulfillment is upgraded to bullying an unpaid intern into sharing their prime account password.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That Old Tree posted:

Despite streaming whole catalogs as a service being king of our free time, you can still individually purchase shows, seasons and episodes of things on Amazon and Google Play. It's inconceivable to me that Amazon doesn't have the infrastructure to send coupons to backers so they can access the show in perpetuity. "Must have an Amazon account" still kind of sucks, but fighting against that is the far less realistic battle of totally reshaping our society than what's happening now that's just "reasonable standards of receiving the product you paid for."

Yeah, I've bought a show or two there before, and someone later in the Twitter thread points out that that could have been done.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I like CR plenty but am not really interested in seeing it animated (don't want to watch stuff + cartoons are for children)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Farg posted:

cartoons are for children

I am so ready for western media to move beyond this assumption. We're so close.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Farg posted:

I like CR plenty but am not really interested in seeing it animated (don't want to watch stuff + cartoons are for children)

That's why I watch animation. :smuggo:

Oh, wait, they're the same thing. Dang.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

when things are going great for your company.

https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1482079600335536128

this is something I guess

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

when things are going great for your company.

https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1482079600335536128

this is something I guess

huh

for me the bar was at "decisively and transparently change moderation policies, and explicitly welcoming trans TTS users" even if it cost them users. The $10,000 donation is unexpected.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

is the moderator still working there

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

is the moderator still working there

I believe that person was fired

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Farg posted:

cartoons are for children

Boy do I have some alarming news for you about games

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dexo posted:

Then this is all more than I expected, though I intend to keep exploring making my own Roll20 asset set for Age of Sigmar use instead of using TTS.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dexo posted:

Really? I heard he was one of the main guys at the company and not just some "mod"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Really? I heard he was one of the main guys at the company and not just some "mod"

https://twitter.com/XoeAllred/status/1482579098308276225?s=20

I guess no longer on the moderation team doesn't mean necessarily mean fired, as I heard it second hand.

So they might technically still be at the company just not a mod.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

That Old Tree posted:

I'm sure they probably could, they just don't appear to want to. Which makes me think this is some version of the CR guys at a table with some dead-eyed psychopath Amazon lawyers explaining how they've promised to give the show for free to their backers and the lawyers replying with "that sounds like a you problem" or something like it.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/XoeAllred/status/1482579098308276225?s=20

I guess no longer on the moderation team doesn't mean necessarily mean fired, as I heard it second hand.

So they might technically still be at the company just not a mod.

Mearls doesn't work on D&D anymore, right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eastmabl posted:

Mearls doesn't work on D&D anymore, right?

I think they shunted him over to Magic?

He might be working on video game poo poo for D&D too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dexo posted:

I think they shunted him over to Magic?

He might be working on video game poo poo for D&D too

Yeah they keep quietly shuffling him between make work positions. The paranoiac in me has noticed the pattern that they tend to shift him once people make a stink about the fact he's still with the company.