Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Paediatric medicine was much more likely to be Wong than White (10:2), whereas anaesthetists were far more likely to be White than Wong (22:4). Surgeons were distributed more evenly.

Two Wongs don’t make a White.

Edit: :420:

Adhemar has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Folks, when I made this thread years ago I never thought it'd make 420 pages.

I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart

yadayadayada have some relevant content

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/605162106174865408

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

fosborb posted:

less beards, though

i thought they couldnt marry

e: oh duh i misread

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

Folks, when I made this thread years ago I never thought it'd make 420 pages.

I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart

yadayadayada have some relevant content

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/605162106174865408

I recall seeing a graphic from years ago that had similar content, presented in the same nonsensical way. Perhaps this is a hidden tribute from some witty staffer?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing will beat this nonsensical cannabis usage graph

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

Nothing will beat this nonsensical cannabis usage graph

An underrated aspect of this is the source being…margin of error.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

An underrated aspect of this is the source being…margin of error.

it's actually from their buddy Moe, but only give or take 4% of him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's also the Alpher-Bethe-Gamow paper, where Dr Gamow included his buddy Dr. Bethe for a laugh, to the annoyance of grad student Alpher who correctly predicted this would be an important paper and Bethe hadn't done anything

Bethe eventually made his own important contributions but Alpher expressed annoyance as late as 1999

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

There's also the Alpher-Bethe-Gamow paper, where Dr Gamow included his buddy Dr. Bethe for a laugh, to the annoyance of grad student Alpher who correctly predicted this would be an important paper and Bethe hadn't done anything

Bethe eventually made his own important contributions but Alpher expressed annoyance as late as 1999

That is a solid as gently caress pun, though. I'm definitely in Gamow's team here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BonHair posted:

That is a solid as gently caress pun, though. I'm definitely in Gamow's team here.

It is pretty funny, but as a former grad student who had to deal with the realities of how your judged based on publications, having someone with basically complete power over you sideline your work to make a joke you don't want is pretty lovely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And of course there's the Cox-Zucker Machine, invented by a couple mathematicians who met in grad school, realized the opportunity they had, and spent most of a decade trying to codiscover something that would force people to use the name.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BonHair posted:

Agreed, it's a pun for the ages, but I sympathize with Alpher.

Wikipedia posted:

Alpher, at the time only a graduate student, was generally dismayed by the inclusion of Bethe's name on this paper. He felt that the inclusion of another eminent physicist would overshadow his personal contribution to this work and prevent him from receiving proper recognition for such an important discovery. He expressed resentment over Gamow's whimsy as late as 1999.[2][3][4]

If I was just starting out and had done a piece of brilliant, groundbreaking research, I'd be pretty drat pissed if, just to be funny, my PhD advisor gave co-author credit to a famous figure in the field who'd had nothing to do with it. Everyone would assume the well-known person had done the hard part and I had just brought coffee.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Does physics do something other than the 'first author did most of the work, last author did almost as much, middle authors were there for moral support' convention?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I guess my (former) field (linguistics of various flavours in Denmark) was sufficiently inbred that everyone knew everyone to the point that even if you didn't know the specific grad student, you could tell which parts were definitely the established doctor's and which were clearly not.

Also linguists are a very pun friendly sort. My grammar professor was basically all about making puns. He also got an article published in Language based on the sentence "I saw Santa kiss mom".

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tunicate posted:

And of course there's the Cox-Zucker Machine, invented by a couple mathematicians who met in grad school, realized the opportunity they had, and spent most of a decade trying to codiscover something that would force people to use the name.

Thank you. I was trying to remember the name of that the other day and couldn't. Like, whole rest of the story, fine, but not the actual punchline.

edit: Oh nice, Cox also got a ring named after him.

Vavrek has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Thank you. I was trying to remember the name of that the other day and couldn't. Like, whole rest of the story, fine, but not the actual punchline.

edit: Oh nice, Cox also got a ring named after him.

sadly neither of those achievements are linked from Cox's wikipedia page

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

A stat that is still true even with the six games he played this season; dude has less wins since 2014 than Colin Kaepernick.

Hopefully, the other hilarious stat – that nobody has ever sent a text message celebrating the Bengals winning a playoff game – still stands after tonight.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

TinTower posted:

Hopefully, the other hilarious stat – that nobody has ever sent a text message celebrating the Bengals winning a playoff game – still stands after tonight.

lol but also it's ohio, there definitely have been scads of texts celebrating a bengals playoff win that has never happened

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TinTower posted:

A stat that is still true even with the six games he played this season; dude has less wins since 2014 than Colin Kaepernick.

I have no idea who Mike Glennon is and I don't follow American sports but I'm glad he's sticking his neck out for others.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Does physics do something other than the 'first author did most of the work, last author did almost as much, middle authors were there for moral support' convention?

it's in alphabetical order, op.

pity poor Dr Morris, who never gets to actually do anything

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

My friends at university for their project named their group with their last names BoltonDixonHore much to the amusement of everyone involved.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's in alphabetical order, op.

pity poor Dr Morris, who never gets to actually do anything

Tunicate posted:

https://twitter.com/phdcomics/status/727551705240334337 is pretty accurate in my experience

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Twitter thread with lots of graphs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Embed the tweet at least wtf

https://twitter.com/tophtucker/status/1471246496041476103

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Double post.

Source: https://www.interneteconomist.com/netflix-and-cable-prices/

Just extrapolating prices a subscriptions more than two decades into the future. Surely no big deal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even if those predictions hold true, Netflix still has like three shows I'm interested in watching compared to a basic cable package which has zero, and Netflix has no ads

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sagebrush posted:

and Netflix has no ads

Lol from 2025

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can netflix not have any games? These lovely flash games suck and you need to download them anyway so they're literally just embedded ads in a service I'm already paying* for.

*sort of

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m the third author on a PLDI paper and I did a whole lot of the work and now I wonder if I should have pushed for a better position.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Outrail posted:

Can netflix not have any games? These lovely flash games suck and you need to download them anyway so they're literally just embedded ads in a service I'm already paying* for.

*sort of

Where are you watching Netflix that you're seeing games? Haven't noticed it yet on my TV, but I don't watch all that much, to be honest.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Subjunctive posted:

I’m the third author on a PLDI paper and I did a whole lot of the work and now I wonder if I should have pushed for a better position.

You probably should always do this, but especially in this case IMO.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

Where are you watching Netflix that you're seeing games? Haven't noticed it yet on my TV, but I don't watch all that much, to be honest.

I've seen ads, I guess for want of a better word, for games on Netflix on Android. They all look like absolute bottom-tier shovelware

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Are Netflix still doing games? They did that one Black Mirror episode, a port of most of the first season of Minecraft Story Mode and a Bear Grills thing. I thought they'd given up after that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Memento posted:

I've seen ads, I guess for want of a better word, for games on Netflix on Android. They all look like absolute bottom-tier shovelware

Are you sure those aren't just regular mobile ads embedded into the app?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Netflix is making a play to make something like Apple Arcade. so freemium or ad supported games with the ads and pay parts removed. dunno what the relation between that and graphs and charts is tho.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Fix It posted:

Netflix is making a play to make something like Apple Arcade. so freemium or ad supported games with the ads and pay parts removed. dunno what the relation between that and graphs and charts is tho.

Can't see any relationship between them at all tbqh

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Outrail posted:

:eyepop:

content:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It took me a moment to realize exactly what the error was there, but in the end I sorted it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Outrail posted:

it's crazy how much a good graph or chart can help you understand a data set