Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like stomping the poo poo out of dead zombies in dead space to make sure they stay dead and also sometimes extract their delicious ammo pickups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"see that mountain? You can walk to it" got stuck in the public consciousness as an essential feature so every game that would be better off with smaller maps now has to be an open world that is actually just a bunch of small maps connected by vast tracts of empty landscape

If Vampire the Masquerade were made today taking the cab to another area for the first time would entail sitting in LA traffic for 60 IRL minutes and reviewers would all be like "the open world experience is so realistic 10/10!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Disco Pope posted:

I think its probably because I discovered Pratchett when I was 11 but Adams when I was about 27 and that whole "something mundane and bearucratic but look, a penguin runs the office because of a clerical error" style of Engineering lecturer humour got on my tits.

adams actually hits harder as you get older if you think about it, things like Earth being destroyed through pure bureaucratic inertia and humanity being founded by the pointless detritus of another planet, who then burn down the forests to make their leaf currency more valuable are a little, uh, real these days.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

I like stomping the poo poo out of dead zombies in dead space to make sure they stay dead and also sometimes extract their delicious ammo pickups

when i played silent hill 2 i didn't realise you could kill the zombies by stomping them so they kept getting up and chasing me. it did not make the game less terrifying.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

I debate between that and pathfinders as the term for metroidvanias. Like come on, at least search action at least implies something about the actual gameplay. Hell "keyring platformer" as stupid as it sounds is better.

Nintendo is trying to make “Action-Exploration” stick as of Metroid Dread. It’s serviceable considering “Metroidvania” is too tied up in copyright law to be used officially.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I know its fully anecdotal but every once in a while you hear stories about how Douglas Adams worked and was like, and he almost always comes off as a difficult person to work with and/or an rear end in a top hat with a chip on his shoulder. Then with Terry Pratchett, you never hear anyone say one bad word about him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Der Kyhe posted:

I know its fully anecdotal but every once in a while you hear stories about how Douglas Adams worked and was like, and he almost always comes off as a difficult person to work with and/or an rear end in a top hat with a chip on his shoulder. Then with Terry Pratchett, you never hear anyone say one bad word about him.

really? He was famously prone to missing deadlines and writers block, I've never heard of him being a dick to people?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Der Kyhe posted:

You'd hear same stories about me and I didn't write a series of funny, interesting and poignant books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

like factorio?

Staplerfahrersimulator 2023.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

"see that mountain? You can walk to it" got stuck in the public consciousness as an essential feature so every game that would be better off with smaller maps now has to be an open world that is actually just a bunch of small maps connected by vast tracts of empty landscape

If Vampire the Masquerade were made today taking the cab to another area for the first time would entail sitting in LA traffic for 60 IRL minutes and reviewers would all be like "the open world experience is so realistic 10/10!"

it's because game devs got a severe case of brainworms and started believing "immersion" was somehow important or good, so now they're deathly afraid of loading screens and level transitions
god of war: dad edition went out of its way to make sure the entire game had 0 camera cuts ever for any reason. instead of a loading screen or anything you just crawl under a bush and hold forwards. the bush loops infinitely while the next zone loads in the background

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's because game devs got a severe case of brainworms and started believing "immersion" was somehow important or good, so now they're deathly afraid of loading screens and level transitions
god of war: dad edition went out of its way to make sure the entire game had 0 camera cuts ever for any reason. instead of a loading screen or anything you just crawl under a bush and hold forwards. the bush loops infinitely while the next zone loads in the background

I liked that game well enough, but they fooled noone with the amount of narrow rock crevices I had to sidle through in that game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Disco Pope posted:

I liked that game well enough, but they fooled noone with the amount of narrow rock crevices I had to sidle through in that game.
“Loading Crevices” etc. are far worse than loading screens. I’d much rather just veg while the area loads than have to “play” some dumb hold forward to progress activity. For the same reason I have become rabidly angry at “Walking and Talking” segments. Just give me a drat cutscene and stop wasting my thumb strength.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't think I've played a game with "loading crevices" which makes me a better person. Elevators? Yeah of course.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Sims 2's installer had a memory matching game and a trivia section. Surely that would work better than an elevator or crevice.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vic posted:

You'd hear same stories about me and I didn't write a series of funny, interesting and poignant books.

So you both suck, got it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think I've played a game with "loading crevices" which makes me a better person. Elevators? Yeah of course.

Its pretty doable assuming you haven't played a 3rd person shooter or action game made in the last decade.

Dead Hippie Ghost
Jun 23, 2015

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

galagazombie posted:

“Loading Crevices” etc. are far worse than loading screens. I’d much rather just veg while the area loads than have to “play” some dumb hold forward to progress activity. For the same reason I have become rabidly angry at “Walking and Talking” segments. Just give me a drat cutscene and stop wasting my thumb strength.

But the no cutscenes approach allows you to jump on top of characters and teabag them while they deliver important dialogue i.e. half life 2

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Duck and Cover posted:

Flashbacks to Mass Effect 1s Citadel. At least you could listen to your squad sassing each other.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've never heard bad things about Adams. All I've heard is that he was so fastidious about his self-editing and procrastination that finishing anything took forever. Early on, he wrote using a typewriter and if he made a typo he'd pull the page and start over. This would often lead to less content on the new page.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Enter the matrix had a revolutionary combat system that I wish would come back

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

roomtone posted:

One of the things I've always thought about Deus Ex being good is that it is built out of discrete stages where you have room to poke around. They aren't so big that you need a quest log to keep track of what's going on, and the content isn't diluted just to fill space. There's little wasted time driving/running/horseriding from point A to B.

As far as gameplay goes it's got as much depth to it as it needs. You aren't picking up loot and running back and forth on a large map to trade items or perform fetch quests, which is basically padding, and you can focus on different tools to support different ways of completing objectives. Since the levels are limited in size, most objectives will have detailed alternatives for you to try out that make replaying the game more than once actually worth doing. There are long conversations, plot events and entire stages that you might either miss or only see one version of.

I don't see any way the stage based approach is a problem for the game. If you make it bigger or one big continuous map, you just end up with more empty space or rubbish that might as well be procedural.

The game is ancient now so I'm not saying the gameplay itself is actually fun, but it's a shame that the mid-size hub has been mostly abandoned in big budget games. It's either on rails or a gigantic map, which are both extremes that have their own drawbacks.

Suddenly reminded that probably the last game to still use this model is Hitman, which is probably because it's baked into the formula and it still works just fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Every "loading screen" should be hidden by having some character take a piss or do a poo poo, and everyone must wait.

e: NOT ON SCREEN

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every "loading screen" should be hidden by having some character take a piss or do a poo poo, and everyone must wait.

Too late

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Bethesda still fighting the good fight by having every door and ladder be a loading screen like it's 2002.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No More Heroes is way ahead of ya

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8rJ1TOREj0

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

Bethesda still fighting the good fight by having every door and ladder be a loading screen like it's 2002.

I thought Gamebryo doesn't support ladders

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Rockin' Kats is the only good video game ever.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

ooh if we’re doing unpopular video game opinions, here’s one i have: the new hitman games are too goofy. i miss the darker tone of the older hitman games. now it’s all like “lol have hitman do a drum solo! it’s extremely epic and ftw.”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The goofiest thing about Hitman is Agent 47 and his awful disguises that should be fooling no one (and yet somehow do).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trillhouse posted:

ooh if we’re doing unpopular video game opinions, here’s one i have: the new hitman games are too goofy. i miss the darker tone of the older hitman games. now it’s all like “lol have hitman do a drum solo! it’s extremely epic and ftw.”

The Hitman games have always been goofy, you literally dress up as a clown and engineer the most melodramatic possible deaths

itry posted:

The goofiest thing about Hitman is Agent 47 and his awful disguises that should be fooling no one (and yet somehow do).

And his complete deadpan delivery with literally everything he does.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

One of the hitman movies reuses footage from Dark Angel.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Hitman is a Lolyoucan game and they are the 2nd lowest form of game, after Ubisoft collectathons.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the highest form of gaming?

gacha match-3 anime titty games

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think the new Hitman games thread the needle pretty well in terms of their sense of humor. They are missing a certain dark stylishness that Blood Money had. Not talking about the edginess of Blood Money, but there was a certain grungy noire feel to Blood Money and Codename 47 that I kind of miss... the more I think about it I'm mostly just missing the Jesper kyd soundtracks.

Hot drat, this post got me to check on when Hitman 3 was coming out for Steam and I bumped into this: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-year-2-reveal/ HITMAN VR on PC

Looks like I'm finally going to be pushed over the edge to get VR. Gunna be a fun week playing Hitman in VR before I cram the headset into the closet for the rest of its life.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There are a lot of experiments going on around the edges of the new HITMAN trilogy and I don't think they all landed perfectly but hitman 2 (2018) was one of my favorite games of all time. In #2 they really hit their stride imo in terms of knowing what works and what doesn't in their murder puzzles, and it's clear that they took their time in designing the maps and making them feel natural. The DLC and Hitman 3 have some really great story bits but I feel like they're generally lacking as puzzles and they feel less organic to me, like there's much less going on that's not directly relevant to being railroaded down a story path by compass pips. This and the final train mission imo are probably what we have to look forward to in their james bond game imo, for better or worse

Also it's a franchise that has gotten dark edginess wrong beforeand I feel like they got the humor right

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
counter-point: leaning in to the fact that everyone knows the hitman games are goofy and running with it made the game more fun. pretending like dressing up in various outfits and having no one notice was already suspension of disbelief breaking so might as well enjoy it. dress as a pirate and use explosive rubber duckies if you want who cares. if you really want to do silent assassin suit only kills or sniper assassin or whatever you can still do that, the game isn't stopping you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

site posted:

counter-point: leaning in to the fact that everyone knows the hitman games are goofy and running with it made the game more fun. pretending like dressing up in various outfits and having no one notice was already suspension of disbelief breaking so might as well enjoy it. dress as a pirate and use explosive rubber duckies if you want who cares. if you really want to do suit only assassinations you can still do that, the game isn't stopping you

yes it's a very silly game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Immersion is important and good (or at least *can* be those things), but tedious simulation vastly less so.

Though frankly at this point immersion, already a highly subjective and nebulous thing to begin with, has been turned into yet another meaningless term to be used as a bludgeon against badwrong games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The hardest I've ever laughed at a videogame was while playing the most recent Hitman, the mission in China, there's a section where a guard is asleep next to the video cameras. The room itself is also filled with guards conveniently looking the other way, so I snuck up to steal the tapes but one of the other guards turned around and saw me. So of course, I started blastin.

The entire time as I fought the entire building's worth of guards, the guard stayed asleep in his chair. Finally, when everyone else was dead, just as I'm about to reload my save - he wakes up.