Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I feel that is quite a Reddit reply to that, a bit too strong.

This LOGI thing or what people think what is suppose to be happening might be going a wee bit off course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Let's all breathe, smell the freshly roasted babies and remember why we fight. This game is full of frustrating mechanics, weird bugs, annoying exploits and tone deaf developers without us tearing each other down.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Meanwhile in Collie backlines.. me and my bros STONERLADo420 and STONERMANo420 scoopin to build ISGs to kill u wardens

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Nine of Eight posted:

Let's all breathe, smell the freshly roasted babies and remember why we fight. This game is full of frustrating mechanics, weird bugs, annoying exploits and tone deaf developers without us tearing each other down.

wait, you roast them before you eat them?

:confused:

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel that is quite a Reddit reply to that, a bit too strong.

This LOGI thing or what people think what is suppose to be happening might be going a wee bit off course.

:edi:

He listed all the worst parts of Logi....

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Might have helped maybe making it a bit lighter or adding he was kidding, the tensions and aggresive weird roleplaying around this LOGI thing is not a joke and gets weird.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Popy posted:

Meanwhile in Collie backlines.. me and my bros STONERLADo420 and STONERMANo420 scoopin to build ISGs to kill u wardens

I loving hate the ISG so much.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So are we supposed to be shooting all logi drivers as scabs now?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

No.

Anyone caught doing that is getting to carried away with the concept.

They should have just waited until this wars end, when everyone is sick of late war logistics.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

we did some mortar squad stuff earlier. me and two other goons with the tubes, and one more goon with binoculars directing fire. we initially set up a bit too far forward and we were trying to hit trenches inside our minimum range so we had to move back to account for the wind. once we got set up and started laying rounds on target it was pretty cool. i got a trenchfull of guys with a shrapnel shell, then nailed the medic who tried to save them with another shrapnel shell. towards the end we actually had to shift our fire because our infantry were overtaking the trenches we were shelling; our shelling had cleared the trenches enough for them to move forward. mortars rule.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 16, 2022

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mortars are great fun and we need a few more hand held ones, a tripod one and maybe a self propelled gun too.

Speaking of artillery in a few hours time we've got an EU evening operartion planned with our shiny new 120 MM guns, who wants to run and blow up Colonials with our 120 shell battery?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
mortaring stuff is my absolute favorite thing to do

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am seeing the playerbase this war, at least with clan groups using the tubes more. A good sign now, artillery really is needed to break the Vimy Ridge fetish of the games mechanics.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

verbal enema posted:

mortaring stuff is my absolute favorite thing to do

Same. I will gladly spot or haul ammo for people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Good god we need more EU players for early/evening.

This is always the worse time to have an established bunker base network or a Storm Cannon for us.

Malfy
May 22, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

we did some mortar squad stuff earlier. me and two other goons with the tubes, and one more goon with binoculars directing fire. we initially set up a bit too far forward and we were trying to hit trenches inside our minimum range so we had to move back to account for the wind. once we got set up and started laying rounds on target it was pretty cool. i got a trenchfull of guys with a shrapnel shell, then nailed the medic who tried to save them with another shrapnel shell. towards the end we actually had to shift our fire because our infantry were overtaking the trenches we were shelling; our shelling had cleared the trenches enough for them to move forward. mortars rule.

I ran a mortar tube for the first time during this, can confirm as very fun. I've played probably 10 hours solo prior just getting familiar with controls and mechanics, which was mildly frustrating and not very educational beyond real fundamental stuff. My first weekend playing with goons I've cheesed down bunker bases with mortars from rocky outcroppings and helped in artillery operations that reversed a potential enemy breakthrough into taking Callahan's Boot. Foxhole is a v good game that gets much more fun with goons.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

right screen: manufacturing 120mm shells
left screen: goons streaming 120mm artillery shooting
this is the comprehensive foxhole experience

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Malfy posted:

I ran a mortar tube for the first time during this, can confirm as very fun. I've played probably 10 hours solo prior just getting familiar with controls and mechanics, which was mildly frustrating and not very educational beyond real fundamental stuff. My first weekend playing with goons I've cheesed down bunker bases with mortars from rocky outcroppings and helped in artillery operations that reversed a potential enemy breakthrough into taking Callahan's Boot. Foxhole is a v good game that gets much more fun with goons.

And you built concrete!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

tonight i:
-dug three big holes
-convoy'd artillery pieces from our base to the holes
-craned these guns into the artillery pits
-built watchtowers to provide intel coverage for these artillery pits
-gunned down two partisans in the gun pits after they killed my friends
-helped build crates behind the gun pits for ammo storage
-helped load crates with ammo
-trained and laid the guns
-adjusted the azimuth for some ranging shots
-loaded as fast as i could
everything after that is just a blur of loading artillery, explosions, gas, and death

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 17, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I also just wanted to capture a thing Arsenic Lupin said the other night on voice:

"This isn't fun, it's Foxhole!"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

tonight i:
-dug three big holes
-built watchtowers to provide intel coverage for these intel pits
everything after that is just a blur of loading artillery, explosions, gas, and death

im a filthy combat boi who only fights on losing lines so this powerful post fills me with hope that this war is ours

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i cant remember what that one like steampunk/ between ww1 ww2 RTS game is but i do wish for mechs a lot in this game

i really hope sometime they implement simple aircraft

Malfy
May 22, 2011

tonight i:
-dug three big holes
-built watchtowers to provide intel coverage for these intel pits

and stole my flatbed :mad:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Malfy posted:

and stole my flatbed :mad:

i used your flatbed to bring about 90 more crates of shells to the front. i also didn't know it was yours, and it was in the public parking lot

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

verbal enema posted:

i cant remember what that one like steampunk/ between ww1 ww2 RTS game is but i do wish for mechs a lot in this game

you're thinking of Iron Harvest. yea this game is ripe for some fantasy/scifi elements like laser weapons or 40k universe

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

verbal enema posted:

For Halloween a couple years back they had an event war with a third "faction" of zombies, and one of the normal factions got to build a mech with the exact aesthetic you would expect for Foxhole.

Artillery op was a ton of fun. I imagine the Colonials who raided us last night would be very upset to learn that the FOB they destroyed but failed to de-husk/erase is the FOB we needed to carry out our artillery bombardment.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It was a bit surreal how it escalated from casual artying to an exchange of artillery and infantry firefights all the time.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Fun artillery op yesterday. Moving the guns out while under fire and having enemy infantry swarming just a screen over was about as clutch as it gets and the bombardment of Boot was great pay off. Deadlands is crazy, there's always something going on.

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
Had a fun op with boat artillery. We took out 5 (i think) bunker buildings. We found a couple of boats someone had abandoned and went to task.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Like always last night we had a fantastically destructive artillery operation and helped CL and the V group roll up a lot of the non concrete Colonial fortifications, I look forward to the AAR from Roy.

It was quite a blur of interesting things I impressed some major as a medic saving him under three streams of angry gun fire which got me three commends at once and a Colonial armoured car politely reversing onto my just missed sticky and blowing themselves up.

Two goons trying the guns for the first time got the usual accidental wind TK lists, some point too we accidentally blew up one of the goons pushing the infantry away too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I spent a really long time holding down RMB and watching goons thoroughly piss off collie autists. We moonscaped probably two or three full screens worth of T2/wet T3 bunker base components. Didn’t quite kill the core, which is a shame.

Lessons learned:

-Three guns is better than two (duh.) With only two tubes, you wast a LOT of shells to the repair/watchtower blueprint spam efforts. Three tubes probably would have had half the shell expenditure.

-Local security last night was really good, but a bit low in numbers. If they had managed to put together basically any kind of real QRF we probably would’ve gotten rolled up. We need friends to put six or eight guys on local security.

-No matter how many times you wave at them across the river, they’re still going to try to mortar snipe you. Uncultured collie swine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Might be a good idea to have somebody roll with a Sniper Rifle too to shoot over the river and harass anyone who thinks they are being cute trying to halt the mortar ops.

I wonder when the engineering bridge raids will start? we should if we can have a goon barge on our side prepped when we get bridges.

Malfy
May 22, 2011

i used your flatbed to bring about 90 more crates of shells to the front. i also didn't know it was yours, and it was in the public parking lot

Yeah I was making 120 to run down as well 🙃. I afk'd by the factory for a sec to go to the bathroom and you must have swung by then, I was honestly surprised that I found where it ended up. I'm not trying to polevault over ant poo poo it was just frustrating. MY FIRST EVER FLATBED, WHISKED AWAY BEFORE I EVEN GOT TO USE IT. STRANGLED IN THE CRADLE

Earnest question: are those parking lots near refineries a free for all even if vehicles are locked? I thought that would good enough but I am admittedly still learning. Would I be better using clan storage in a depot or something?

I'm also kinda confused by what items are reservable and what determines that, would appreciate it if someone could clear that up for me. I made a gravekeeper and parked it at the southern salt farms bb, I wanted to throw it in the depot there but could only put it in the public side of things.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

All vehicles are free if you have a wrench.*

Anything painted blue is part of the war effort. If you’re using it to further the warden cause, it’s a legitimate use, imo. I have absolutely gone to vehicle parks and wrenched open everything in sight and then logged off.

*don’t be a dick and steal the fuel truck unless you’re going to refill it and put it back.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i don't really have a good idea of what's reservable vs what's not. my rule of thumb has been, if i made it or if it came from goon stockpile then it goes (back) into goon stockpile. if i found it (read: stole it), it's public and stays public. you can launder materials from public to private by manufacturing public bmats/emats into private guns/ammo/etc. but that's about as much as i've figured out. there's probably some sort of special case around pushguns because i made a 250mm pushgun out of found (not stolen!) supplies and it would only go into the public stockpile.

MrYenko posted:

Anything painted blue is part of the war effort. If you’re using it to further the warden cause, it’s a legitimate use, imo. I have absolutely gone to vehicle parks and wrenched open everything in sight and then logged off.

*don’t be a dick and steal the fuel truck unless you’re going to refill it and put it back.

^this
gently caress ownership, just contribute to the team.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MrYenko posted:

The biggest problem with unlocking all of the vehicles in a parking lot is that it leaves them open to an easy mass theft if a backlines raid happens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm actually trying to construct an essay on what's reservable and not.

Never reservable:

Items you retrieve from the public stockpile of a factory, refinery, seaport, etc.
Vehicles with guns
Crates that have been unpacked and repacked, even if you made the contents yourself.

Reservable:

Items that you made and are retrieving from a private or squad queue. If you retrieve them as crates, and they don't fit into "never reservable", you can check them into a storage depot or seaport. If you don't retrieve them as crates, you can never repackage them without their becoming public.

Vehicles that you made, as long as they don't have guns.

Note that you can take public resources from a refinery, make things from them in a factory, and the results are reservable. Being public isn't like cooties; it adheres to the original object, not to things you make from that object.

Veteran players please correct. When I've got this correct, I'm putting it up as a Steam guide and linking it in the Discord.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Like always last night we had a fantastically destructive artillery operation and helped CL and the V group roll up a lot of the non concrete Colonial fortifications, I look forward to the AAR from Roy.

Boy, how to cover 5+ hours of an insane op in a single post.

So, night before, we unlocked 120mm artillery. Got some boys together to make 3 guns with the intent on aggressively delivering the 300 boxes of 120 ammo to the colonials. Original intent was to flatten Brine Glen, but CL and V wanted to take Boot so we ended up doing that.

We dug some arty pits north of The Pits (boy that confusing to communicate), and started shelling Callahan's Boot town hall. This made the colonials _very_ angry, and they rebuilt and crossed the bridges at Boot and Brine Glen and started a major assault backed by 4-8 120 guns of their own, both from Boot and from the Pits-Brine Glen road. They broke through with a really solid push north of The Pits relic, and we had to emergency pack up our gear and get it the gently caress outta there. Collies were literally running between our flatbeds while we were craning them out of the arty pits, but we managed to save all 3 guns and got the heck outta there.

We then worked for a few hours to repel the invasion. Me and a few others started patching up the anti-partisan wall that had decayed the day previous, and most of the goons were fighting and defending the Pits relic base. V eventually managed to get a bonerwagon into range of the arty and they killed one of their arty guns and stole another, causing the rest of the collie 120s to pack up and leave. No more enemy artillery meant that we were free to move about the deadlands without counter batteries, so I told our team to pull up a 120 gun and support the counter attack. We then shelled both of their bunker bases in a really quick and effective mobile artillery brigade. I want to try this style more often btw.

After we recovered from their push, CL and V managed to prevent the collies from blowing the callahan's boot-pits bridge, so the game was afoot and we were able to advance faster and more aggressively than we were pushing before. We pulled back two of our guns into the original arty pits we dug, and began quickly shelling the bridge fight, with the intent to help move it along. Wind is a mechanic that makes danger-close artillery pretty hard to do, so we racked up some sweet teamkills in the process. It was pretty funny. We walked our artillery forward with the advancing infantry line, and eventually killed a bunch of garrison houses, a mortar house, and flattened their town hall (I believe one of us got the killing blow on it with an arty shell). We continued to play cleanup with the 120s we had remaining.

After Boot was secured, we put one of the guns away and went back down to a single arty gun, where we killed a 3rd bunker base. Their last 120 wheelchair was sitting at this random bunker base and they were trying to set up to prevent that BB from being taken, but we started counter batterying them before they even got a truck up to supply them. They ran in a panic off into the distance and we never saw them again. After that, I had to get food because this was a 5 hour adventure but I'm pretty sure everyone packed up and just joined the fighting after that.

A few hours later after, some goons got a gun set up on our side of the river shelling Brine Glen, so I logged on and joined that with a second gun, and we turned Brine Glen into a moonscape. Was a fun bit of small scale combat as they sent 2-3 people across to harass us (but they weren't very good) and we just spend a few thousand shells killing wet concrete and poo poo. cowcowcow and crew were also there shelling with gunboats, and we killed probably 2,000 man hours of work in a chill evening of shelling.

All in all, successful day.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I believe it was Arisha who boasted on ending the Town Hall's life with a RPG shell from a Foebreaker tripod mount.

I need to see the ID disc from him to confirm this kill.

Also, we fired a record breaking amount of 120MM shells that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

i don't really have a good idea of what's reservable vs what's not. my rule of thumb has been, if i made it or if it came from goon stockpile then it goes (back) into goon stockpile. if i found it (read: stole it), it's public and stays public. you can launder materials from public to private by manufacturing public bmats/emats into private guns/ammo/etc. but that's about as much as i've figured out. there's probably some sort of special case around pushguns because i made a 250mm pushgun out of found (not stolen!) supplies and it would only go into the public stockpile.

^this
gently caress ownership, just contribute to the team.

Stockpiles are very archaic.

Anything that has EVER been public, whether it was in a public stockpile or it's a refined resource that was *not* pulled as a crate, will always be public forever.

Vehicles that you make by hand in a garage are ONLY reservable if they have no weapon (except buses, buses are never reservable).

Vehicles made in the MPF come in crates and are ALWAYS reservable, but when you open a crate of weaponized vehicles (or buses) you can only open it into the public stockpile. So you can have only ever have multiples of 3 combat vehicles in your private stockpile (except the MPT which is 5 per crate)

Edit: Lupin beat me and was correct on all accounts except not mentioning the weird exception of buses

Edit 2: This weird "no reserving combat vehicles" system is, I believe, an attempt from the devs to keep people from hoarding vehicles. IMO it actually backfires because most clans try to build crates of vic in the MPF for savings and thus they won't crack a crate open unless they can use all 3 vics, meaning instead of 1 individual tank being hoarded a set of 3 tanks is hoarded. Good jerb, devs!

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 18, 2022