Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I mean stuff like the mirrors and bushes. I think I saw Hitman 3 adds a camera (?) to the previous games for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The biggest upgrade from 2 to 3 is that the whole thing is at under 80 Gb instead of like 130.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Going back to the ARPG talk for a bit.

Are there ANY other Diablo-likes out there besides Diablo 3 and Path of Exile that have gear that makes two different abilities directly interact with one-another? And I'm not talking about the boring Diablo 2 style "ability X lowers fire resistance and ability Y does fire damage" I'm talking something like

"Ability X lowers the cooldown of Ability Y"
or, my absolute favorite set from Diablo 3

"Turrets placed with ability X will now ALL cast Ability Y when you do it."

Because those are some actual interesting synergies that make you play in a different way instead of just making the numbers go up and I've only seen Diablo 3 and Path of Exile do it, and Diablo 3 haven't had any new content for ever and Path of Exile makes me lose any will to play it once I remember that it has no way to respec your character besides dumping another half-dozen hours into the game.

Chronicon.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Unless I completely overlooked a major part of the game when I beat it's campaign, it really doesn't do anything like what I described.

It doesn't, at least not in the way you are thinking. There are a ton of builds centered around abusing skills and gear that give a chance to proc abilities on hit. For example I have a build centered around firing self replicating missiles, and have enough bits of kit that give a chance for more missiles on hit that a single cast can keep on spamming missiles for a good 10 seconds. That's not really changing other abilities, just triggering them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

You've been able to link your IOI and EGS accounts to get access to H1/2 for ages now.

It doesn't let you download Hitman 3 without owning it, afaik.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grey Face posted:

Chronicon.

I was going to suggest Chronicon as well but OP has some strict standards and I assumed they'd hate it for some reason.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't let you download Hitman 3 without owning it, afaik.

I didn't think so either, but I guess they added that in at some point: Hitman 3 Starter Pack is a free download that lets you play through the training missions and any Hitman 1/2 content you own in the Hitman 3 platform.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I decided to try hyper Library with only duplicator (and orb grab radius) as upgrades. It was honestly more enjoyable than playing with all the various upgrades I used before.

Previously I said that with only long range weapons no enemies will get in bible range. This was indeed the case minute 15 to minute 28, but the last 2 minutes where a bit more close than expected (with passive upgrades they never get close). Either way, it was still enough without any close range weapons (garlic/bible/whip), just standing still.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

This is the probably the worst part of the port, that it doesn't have an FoV slider.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

I didn't think so either, but I guess they added that in at some point: Hitman 3 Starter Pack is a free download that lets you play through the training missions and any Hitman 1/2 content you own in the Hitman 3 platform.

Oh, I must've overlooked it. It's so weird to put it into the DLC section of the store.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

This is the probably the worst part of the port, that it doesn't have an FoV slider.

The devs mentioned that the game does a lot of shenanigans with characters teleporting around just off-screen, which they had to rework to support ultrawide, so increasing the FOV further would require even more work

I suppose they could at least allow 16:9 players to use the 21:9 FOV though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ZearothK posted:

The biggest upgrade from 2 to 3 is that the whole thing is at under 80 Gb instead of like 130.

If I do get Hitman 3 on Steam, will my progress be saved?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It should be yeah, H2 progess carried over to H3 on consoles and from Steam to Epic

Steam to Steam progress transfer seems like a no brainer

e: not sure if you'll be able to transfer epic progress back to steam though, if you're double dipping

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 17, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

The game uses FoV to hide a lot of tricks (enemies go into less aggressive states, characters not animated fully) which combined with the unbroken camera means that allowing the user to override it means inevitable complaints that poo poo us hosed up.

I guess they could have allowed people playing in 16x9 to widen FOV to the ultrawide equivalent? That leaves the top and bottom of the frame "unsafe" though.

E: oops beaten!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'd click on link because it looks like there is a better way than using cheat engine. Cheat engine effects cutscenes which fucks some stuff up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Goddamn, I'm about 17 hours into God of War and it's so good. It extracts everything that is good about (semi) open world, arpg combat and mechanics, story, pacing, graphics, and extracts it down to an extremely good package.

Edit - 19 hours actually, and it both seems like a long time and not long at all. The exact opposite of something like modern rear end Creed.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 17, 2022

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Completed the FF7 Remake over the weekend, greatly enjoyed it with a few caveats, but I have to say I love a good skybox.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The world serpent in GoW gives me the friggin jeebies.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Deakul posted:

Yeah, Kratos (me) definitely respects that dude.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

Don’t worry, he’s just an extremely and unreasonably large softie (unless you’re related to Odin).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Deakul posted:

Got some bad news about your future then...

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We're totally going to gently caress Thor UP

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RandomBlue posted:

Got some bad news about your future then...

Given Kratos's relationship with mythology in general, probably bad news about Jormungandr's future too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There really is such a well done slow drip progression of upgrades and new mechanics throughout God of War that has kept me wanting to see how crazy it gets.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1483191247036506112?s=21

Lmao at that rating summary

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought they wouldn't bring back the traitor punching scene.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

God of war rules. The first time I saw Atreus jump off my back to shoot something midair with an arrow I yelled 'holy poo poo' out loud at the tv. I appreciate how Atreus is never a liability really just exists to help set up sick combos.

Sometimes they grab him and a countdown timer starts. I assume that once it gets to zero he gets killed and you lose the fight as if you died, although I haven't let it happen yet.

not sure I'm down to use cheatengine but lack of FOV was probably the biggest thing I wad disappointed not so see. I always increase FOV because I play on a bigass TV and everything seems cluttered if I don't

repiv posted:

The devs mentioned that the game does a lot of shenanigans with characters teleporting around just off-screen, which they had to rework to support ultrawide, so increasing the FOV further would require even more work

I suppose they could at least allow 16:9 players to use the 21:9 FOV though

Yeah I've of course noticed that any time you turn your back they conveniently teleport Atreus right behind you. I've tried to catch the little bastard in the act but I never can even with quickturn

I think the slow turn speed is partially related to these tricks.

But god drat is it a beautiful game. I literally never take screenshots but two recent games, Guardians of the Galaxy and God of War, have inspired me to do so because they look so effing great. Sometime I'll post some

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Wow those D3 set bonus screenshots are outdated, now they all do approx. a thousand million bazillion damage haha.
I think there's one for demon hunter which gives a specific ability an 8000% damage bonus if you don't have a ranged weapon equipped.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
80x damage?! "Tell me you don't know how to balance things without telling me you don't know how to balance things..."

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Diablo 3 is a game where you can advance your damage by orders of magnitude but you increase the difficulty level to match so it pretty much balances itself.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Serephina posted:

80x damage?! "Tell me you don't know how to balance things without telling me you don't know how to balance things..."

It's not a balance thing. There are some set bonuses that completely change how a class in D3 works

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

they should keep the numbers small and simply write “billion” after all of them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The D3 set bonuses were cool but I wish they were easier to mix and match. Always felt like I had to conform to a pretty rigid build if I wanted to use a specific set. But I guess it’s probably a relief for folks who want a basic rubric they can follow.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's not a balance thing. There are some set bonuses that completely change how a class in D3 works

Oh for sure. I'm assuming the demon hunter was a bowman of some sort, and by giving up their bow they're doing some weird gimmick build by kiting enemies into snares, or whatever. My point was that if a skill is cool&good after being buffed by 80x, what the gently caress was it doing in its previous incarnation when running at 1.25% of that damage number popup is relevant in the slightest?

I suppose this could be more of a knock on ARPGs and crazy number inflations in general, which is why I kinda don't like the genre anymore.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

The D3 set bonuses were cool but I wish they were easier to mix and match. Always felt like I had to conform to a pretty rigid build if I wanted to use a specific set. But I guess it’s probably a relief for folks who want a basic rubric they can follow.

This is the issue with the massive numbers from the set bonuses, not balance. They can easily be balanced while providing 100x damage if there are lots of other things that do similar stuff, which there is. But what happens is that anything that does not have one of these bonuses is now completely irrelevant. They tried doing some sets that worked on more generic bonuses, but there's legendaries that provide similar massive power boosts and they compound the issue.

If your desired build isn't supported by the items in the game it will weaker by several orders of magnitude compared to one that is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serephina posted:

Oh for sure. I'm assuming the demon hunter was a bowman of some sort, and by giving up their bow they're doing some weird gimmick build by kiting enemies into snares, or whatever. My point was that if a skill is cool&good after being buffed by 80x, what the gently caress was it doing in its previous incarnation when running at 1.25% of that damage number popup is relevant in the slightest?

I suppose this could be more of a knock on ARPGs and crazy number inflations in general, which is why I kinda don't like the genre anymore.

It's good because it provides an immediate and noticeable power increase in a game with infinitely scaling dungeons, allowing you to feel the impact of annihilating your current difficulty level instead of being stuck in a rut of barely perceptible 1.25% power increases as you say. It's fun and everybody likes it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

they should keep the numbers small and simply write “billion” after all of them.

I mean...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
They're basically part of diablo 3's progression. First you level from 1 to 70, which is a gradual climb in power. Then you start putting together one of your class's set bonuses - each individual piece will be a pretty big spike in power, eventually culminating in getting 10,000% damage with a specific skill or something. Then you just use that skill over and over while climbing greater rifts for incremental gains in power until you get bored and/or the season ends.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Serephina posted:

Typically the attacks that are being changed are utility based. You don't use them for their damage, you use them because they slow/disable/silence/debuff enemies. Or because they provide a bonus to you like movement speed or a dash.

Good example is the Raiment of a Thousand Storms set. The whole gimmick is to turn your dash, a utility button, into your main source of damage by buffing its damage by 60,000 percent. ARPGs are silly

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Raiment_of_a_Thousand_Storms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cinara posted:

This is the issue with the massive numbers from the set bonuses, not balance. They can easily be balanced while providing 100x damage if there are lots of other things that do similar stuff, which there is. But what happens is that anything that does not have one of these bonuses is now completely irrelevant. They tried doing some sets that worked on more generic bonuses, but there's legendaries that provide similar massive power boosts and they compound the issue.

If your desired build isn't supported by the items in the game it will weaker by several orders of magnitude compared to one that is.

Totally agree, you said it in a way more succinct way than I ever could have. And hey, the sets are cool! But I'm a turbo-nerd who likes picking a totally random skill or legendary item and trying to figure out a way to make a build around it, which D3 is not great for.