Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hi thread, I'd like to get a security camera for my front and back door; I'd like to avoid complicated wiring as I might move in the spring anyways; so a wifi and battery powered/rechargable camera is fine.

This seems well in my budget but I kinda dislike that the SD cards go in the camera's themselves (so a thief only needs to just rip off the camera); is there something like this system where the recording goes in some Router like central device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hi thread, I'd like to get a security camera for my front and back door; I'd like to avoid complicated wiring as I might move in the spring anyways; so a wifi and battery powered/rechargable camera is fine.

This seems well in my budget but I kinda dislike that the SD cards go in the camera's themselves (so a thief only needs to just rip off the camera); is there something like this system where the recording goes in some Router like central device?

A few people I know have a Wyze system which has wifi/battery cams that connect to a Wyze hub and they seem to like it well enough.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

We use Ring Stick up cams. They have wifi and batteries, and store video in the cloud. There is a monthly subscription though, but it’s not very much. They work well and the app is very good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep, I use 4 Ring cameras (including doorbell) around my yard. $100/year or something, but it works well enough for me to not want to tinker with a more manual system. I don't really care if foreign governments watch the footage of my Amazon deliveries or the skunk digging up my back yard though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a pair of Eufy cameras and they don’t sell the footage to cops.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendations for a remote that can control lights and a ceiling fan in one? My current bedroom fan is a hunter with a non removable RF module, and for wife acceptance I need to either buy a new fan compatible with Caseta or rig something up with bond and home assistant.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IUG posted:

I have a pair of Eufy cameras and they don’t sell the footage to cops.

They (probably) willingly hand it to the CCP instead. Any cloud camera is insecure.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I finally got around to replacing all of my light switches with Lutron Caseta dimmers and am trying to figure out how to make them do two things. First, I'd like for them to automatically change their brightness depending on time of day, so that I can have bright light during the day that dims to a lower one at night. Second, I'd like to be able to use my bedroom light like one of those sunrise alarm clocks, turning on at 1% intensity and slowly brightening to 100% over an hour.

I"m having trouble figuring out where in either the Lutron app or Apple Home I would go about doing either of those things. I've found out how to do automations through Apple Home, but they all look to be very basic things like "at 8 PM, turn off my porch light". The Lutron app also has a schedules tab, but it, too, only seems to do single events, not gradual changes. I also can't figure out how to make the "on" button go to a position that isn't 100%, which means that this is instantly less useful than my "dumb" dimmer switch since I can't just set a slider on the side before flipping the switch.

Is what I'm looking for even possible? I really hope I didn't just drop a couple hundred bucks on a system that's not smart enough to do something that seems so basic.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

blastron posted:

I finally got around to replacing all of my light switches with Lutron Caseta dimmers and am trying to figure out how to make them do two things. First, I'd like for them to automatically change their brightness depending on time of day, so that I can have bright light during the day that dims to a lower one at night. Second, I'd like to be able to use my bedroom light like one of those sunrise alarm clocks, turning on at 1% intensity and slowly brightening to 100% over an hour.

I"m having trouble figuring out where in either the Lutron app or Apple Home I would go about doing either of those things. I've found out how to do automations through Apple Home, but they all look to be very basic things like "at 8 PM, turn off my porch light". The Lutron app also has a schedules tab, but it, too, only seems to do single events, not gradual changes. I also can't figure out how to make the "on" button go to a position that isn't 100%, which means that this is instantly less useful than my "dumb" dimmer switch since I can't just set a slider on the side before flipping the switch.

Is what I'm looking for even possible? I really hope I didn't just drop a couple hundred bucks on a system that's not smart enough to do something that seems so basic.

To my knowledge there is nothing built into either of those that can do what you want. I've wanted to do something similar to some of my Caseta lights, and I think I'll have to end up writing a script and using Homebridge / Home Assistant to execute on it.

Re: going to a preset setting, the nicer Caseta dimmers with the middle button (or a Pico remote) can do what you want.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If someone has a HomeAssistant automation that slowly, barely perceptibly changes brightness over long periods of time I’d love to see the YAML.

I tried and failed with the methods I attempted: on at 1% and raise 1% UNTIL precondition, two stages and take 3600 seconds to transition between. HA would get stuck and lights would be inoperable.

I ended up just time triggering the different brightness states and so far I haven’t been in the room to say “hey what happened”.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I didn't buy the switches with the button in the middle because I didn't know what it was for and thus did not want to spend literally twice as much money ($120 vs $60) to have a fancy button. I might have to go back for them, though, since the entire reason I'm doing this is to be able to hit the lights in my bathroom at 3 AM and have them come on at a minimal brightness. And then I'm also going to have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a Raspberry Pi so I can use Home Assistant to do the dimming I want it to. And my router is also out of Ethernet ports.

If it turns out that I need the pro bridge (which I didn't know existed until just now because I bought the starter bundle like a complete idiot) to set the favorite brightness on that central button I will lose my entire mind. I can't find any documentation for it on the Home Assistant page for the Caseta integration.

I'm glad that Home Assistant exists, though. It looks like it supports exactly the kind of complicated scripting I need. (I didn't know about it until just now.)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

blastron posted:

I didn't buy the switches with the button in the middle because I didn't know what it was for and thus did not want to spend literally twice as much money ($120 vs $60) to have a fancy button. I might have to go back for them, though, since the entire reason I'm doing this is to be able to hit the lights in my bathroom at 3 AM and have them come on at a minimal brightness. And then I'm also going to have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a Raspberry Pi so I can use Home Assistant to do the dimming I want it to. And my router is also out of Ethernet ports.

If it turns out that I need the pro bridge (which I didn't know existed until just now because I bought the starter bundle like a complete idiot) to set the favorite brightness on that central button I will lose my entire mind. I can't find any documentation for it on the Home Assistant page for the Caseta integration.

I'm glad that Home Assistant exists, though. It looks like it supports exactly the kind of complicated scripting I need. (I didn't know about it until just now.)

IIRC the Pro Bridge's only difference is that it exposes Telnet for scripting; it's the exact same hardware. I bet you could reflash your non-pro to it, but I haven't really looked into it. You don't need the Pro bridge to use that center button on the more advanced switches -- just need to pony up for it, and it does suck. But hey, an extra $40 to make my girlfriend happy that the bathroom doesn't blind her at night, worth it to me.

In general, the system is so stable / trouble-free in nominal operation for me that it's (currently) worth the somewhat lack of flexibility. HA is probably the escape hatch to do more advanced things -- I suspect that the RF traffic isn't encrypted (or if it is, it's very simple) so if you got _really_ into it, a RTL-SDR dongle would probably let you do whatever you wanted after reverse-engineering the protocol and you could effectively have your own hub.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I use Adaptive Lighting, which I think I downloaded through HACS in home assistant, to do exactly what you are asking for. During the day the brightness gradually rises and falls. At night things enter sleep mode. I have various sunrise +- setups per room depending. Each room has its own configuration as well that is very slightly unique based on what it needs. It’s a very nice system. Takes some time to get right and requires a pair of automations per day to make work ( enabling and disabling sleep mode in my case). Definitely recommended.

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 14, 2022

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah +1 for adaptive lighting. Much more reliable than automations and has a bunch more cool features as well.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hed posted:

If someone has a HomeAssistant automation that slowly, barely perceptibly changes brightness over long periods of time I’d love to see the YAML.

I tried and failed with the methods I attempted: on at 1% and raise 1% UNTIL precondition, two stages and take 3600 seconds to transition between. HA would get stuck and lights would be inoperable.

I ended up just time triggering the different brightness states and so far I haven’t been in the room to say “hey what happened”.

I think you're overthinking it:

code:
# Fade hallway lights to "stairs only" every night
- alias: Hallway Light Evening Fade
  trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: '19:30'
  action:
    service: scene.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: scene.hallway_stairs_only
      transition: 1800 # 30 minutes
Maybe it's not imperceptible, but it's pretty slow and works fine the vast majority of the time. That said, all my fades are 30 minutes or less, so I dunno how a longer transition would work.

For reference, all the lights in that scene are Hue lights.

edit: OK so that's our upstairs hallway and has 4 lights; 3 cans and a "chandelier" (for lack of a better term) in the staircase with 1 bulb in it. The normal case is brightness at 255 for all 4, and the above scene fades the cans to off and drops the chandelier down to 40. So it's a big transition, but still over 30 minutes it's pretty smooth.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 14, 2022

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

sharkytm posted:

They (probably) willingly hand it to the CCP instead. Any cloud camera is insecure.

Cool and good. (They don't do this lol and even if they did I hope footage of people's front yards helps the Xi caliphate violently overthrow the Biden administration)

Yes any cloud camera is inherently insecure but your handwringing about it doesn't make any sense. Setup a vlan if it bothers you I guess, cops in the USA are more of a fear for me than the CCP.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 14, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

Cool and good. (They don't do this lol and even if they did I hope footage of people's front yards helps the Xi caliphate violently overthrow the Biden administration)

Yes any cloud camera is inherently insecure but your handwringing about it doesn't make any sense. Setup a vlan if it bothers you I guess, cops in the USA are more of a fear for me than the CCP.

None of this stops it from participating in botnets. This kind of thing has been going on since 2016 or earlier.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Crunchy Black posted:

I was just commenting on your assertion that a minor player's cameras were any more secure than Ring. They all suck, and lord knows what data is being scraped, and by who. My PoE cameras at my shop are all behind a VLAN, but I've got wyze and Ring for wireless cameras at my house, with internet access. Again, my back yard and front door aren't national security targets either, and Ring at least claims to have end to end encryption now, and that law enforcement has to make pubic requests for footage. ACAB and all.

It's not like Eufy has had zero issues as well: https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/17/huge-eufy-privacy-breach/

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

None of this stops it from participating in botnets. This kind of thing has been going on since 2016 or earlier.

So naturally the only option is no cameras if they're such a risk, then.

sharkytm posted:

I was just commenting on your assertion that a minor player's cameras were any more secure than Ring. They all suck, and lord knows what data is being scraped, and by who. My PoE cameras at my shop are all behind a VLAN, but I've got wyze and Ring for wireless cameras at my house, with internet access. Again, my back yard and front door aren't national security targets either, and Ring at least claims to have end to end encryption now, and that law enforcement has to make pubic requests for footage. ACAB and all.

It's not like Eufy has had zero issues as well: https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/17/huge-eufy-privacy-breach/

It wasn't my assertion but I'll play--I honestly don't mind US cops being able to *subpoena* the footage as evidence--see Ahmad Arbury--I just don't want them to just have it willy-nilly.

I have a few cameras I'm playing with but I'm not going to implement them until I move ~summertime. That'll be a local BlueIris install though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

So naturally the only option is no cameras if they're such a risk, then.

You seem to be missing the point.

If you're putting cameras on a VLAN without internet access you can run all of the sketchiest garbage you can think of without a problem. The problem is when you're running cameras that are open to the internet which, by definition, any cloud based ones would need to be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

blastron posted:

Press the dimmer up button instead of the on button, the lights will turn on at the lowest brightness.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Just lol if you don't keep night-vision goggles next to bed for midnight bathroom runs

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

Just lol if you don't keep night-vision goggles next to bed for midnight bathroom runs

Home Assistant Piss Bottle Plugin

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Slash posted:

Here’s my latest version of HA. Ring, Nest, Hue, Shelly light switches, Smart cat flap, Xiaomi window and temperature sensors, Sonos a few custom sensors and other integrations. Happy to answer questions about it.

e: happy to answer questions about home automation and Lovelace config

How are your Xiaomi sensors connected to HA? Via their own hub, or direct to a Zigbee dongle?

I finally got round to setting up a managed network with dedicated IoT and NoT VLANS, so if they need a hub that's doable, but I also found a very long HA thread talking about direct integration of random Zigbee stuff.

NB I haven't actually got HA running yet, I'm shopping around for what I want in the long term

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

And double post to contribute some stuff regarding lighting: there was chat earlier about various approaches to switching. I've gone full remote with my Hue system - linked the live connection through in the backbox, and placed the Hue dimmer switches over the top, which communicate directly with the Hue Bridge via Zigbee. Now this does make the Hue Bridge itself a point of failure - though it doesn't rely on the internet or even the LAN, which is nice - but I'm comfortable with this. Worst case I can cycle the breaker and the bulbs will come on. Guess I could get a second bridge as a cold spare.

I love the flexibility of just sticking some extra switches on our bedside tables.

Using these newer buttons, where the "Hue" button can be set to do different things at different times, as discussed above re late-night bathrooms.

E.g. in the living room, pressing it after 18:00 brings on a nice warm white evening state. Minor complaint: I wish I could set an automation that goes to this state at that time automatically, but only if the lights are on already. I believe this is possible in HA though, if I integrate it in the future.

All Hue bulbs in most of the house, because I like the consistent fade and nice colour temp. Integrated a Tradfri driver for some shelf spots in my office, and a Paulmann-brand ceiling light (both of which occasionally misfire somehow and come on very dim - the Hue bulbs never do this). So a bit pricey but worth it overall.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm going a different direction than all of you and we'll see how it works out hahaha.

I'm going to be trying Legrand Radiant with Netatmo

So I bought the following:
- 1x Smart Gateway Surface Mount with Netatmo
- 3x Smart Switch with Netatmo

The product line is new-ish. Within the past year. But it is super confusing because they have an older line but it was entirely WiFi only and didn't work with HomeKit.

This will be more or less a test run. So I bought enough stuff to control some outside lights I want to automate.

If this works out well I'll be buying their dimmers and more switches. Mainly was interested in them because my existing sockets and switches were Legrand Radiant already. So I can add in the 'smart' versions and it will blend in with the non-smart ones. Same style, color, etc. Which is a huge perk in my opinion. Additionally, the marketing and documentation material for this stuff says it works with HomeKit out of the box which is something I really wanted.

Anyway, it probably won't be until March that I'll have any updates on this.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 14, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

I'm going a different direction than all of you and we'll see how it works out hahaha.

I'm going to be trying Legrand Radiant with Netatmo

So I bought the following:
- 1x Smart Gateway Surface Mount with Netatmo
- 3x Smart Switch with Netatmo

The product line is new-ish. Within the past year. But it is super confusing because they have an older line but it was entirely WiFi only and didn't work with HomeKit.

This will be more or less a test run. So I bought enough stuff to control some outside lights I want to automate.

If this works out well I'll be buying their dimmers and more switches. Mainly was interested in them because my existing sockets and switches were Legrand Radiant already. So I can add in the 'smart' versions and it will blend in with the non-smart ones. Same style, color, etc. Which is a huge perk in my opinion. Additionally, the marketing and documentation material for this stuff says it works with HomeKit out of the box which is something I really wanted.

Anyway, it probably won't be until March that I'll have any updates on this.

I have their Netatmo Weather Station and I'm pretty happy with it. Some minor Wi-Fi issues but that could easily be on Ubiquiti's side as well. Batteries last forever in their remote sensor units. They have IMO an artificial limit on the maximum sensors they support, but I made it work.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bobstar posted:

How are your Xiaomi sensors connected to HA? Via their own hub, or direct to a Zigbee dongle?

I finally got round to setting up a managed network with dedicated IoT and NoT VLANS, so if they need a hub that's doable, but I also found a very long HA thread talking about direct integration of random Zigbee stuff.

NB I haven't actually got HA running yet, I'm shopping around for what I want in the long term

Using the XiaoMi hub. But I had to dismantle it and do some soldering so that I could shell into it and change its firewall settings, which is a pretty complex/advanced process. I’ll probably convert them over to a Zigbee/Zwave usb dongle at some point but it works flawlessly at the moment.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Slash posted:

Using the XiaoMi hub. But I had to dismantle it and do some soldering so that I could shell into it and change its firewall settings, which is a pretty complex/advanced process. I’ll probably convert them over to a Zigbee/Zwave usb dongle at some point but it works flawlessly at the moment.

Ah I see, just googled around that, sounds annoying. I think I'll skip straight to Zigbee2MQTT then. Thanks!

General question, if I don't own anything suitable already, is a Raspberry Pi the best thing to run Home Assistant on? Annoyingly I cheaped out when I bought my NAS and it doesn't do that kind of thing :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Semi Networking question but it's related to HA so I'll try here. I have now setup HA on a RPi4 I had and it's all working pretty well. I've read that it is best to VLAN off HA and all IOT devices together. Is the guide below roughly what I need to follow to do that? Bit of a networking dummy but that guide seems straight forward enough.

https://xdeb.org/post/2020/unifi-edgerouter-guest-iot-vlan/

I'm running an ER-X and Unifi on my NAS. Will probably need to upgrade my AP to support 5Ghz networks soon as well.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can you reassign a device in SmartThings? Gotta replace an outdoor switch, but I don't want to redo all my automation settings.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

smoobles posted:

Can you reassign a device in SmartThings? Gotta replace an outdoor switch, but I don't want to redo all my automation settings.

Depends on the device. When I migrated from ST to HA, I had to outright replace two GE ZWave dimmers that wouldn’t de-pair from ST for love or money. The rest of them all had varying de-pair procedures, despite being the same model, from the same manufacturer. (Different batch numbers from different subcontractors.)

It’s doubly annoying since my master bathroom light fixture dimmed fine on the old dimmer, but the new one is apparently incapable of dimming an LED, which is inexcusable in 2022.

Home automation is still a hodgepodge of bullshit.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bobstar posted:

Ah I see, just googled around that, sounds annoying. I think I'll skip straight to Zigbee2MQTT then. Thanks!

General question, if I don't own anything suitable already, is a Raspberry Pi the best thing to run Home Assistant on? Annoyingly I cheaped out when I bought my NAS and it doesn't do that kind of thing :(

Normally I'd say that a pi is a good way to start getting into HA but if you don't already have one they're near impossible to find right now or are overpriced like a lot of electronics so I'd say to just pick up a used Optiplex/Think Center/ProDesk instead. They can be found for virtually the same price as rpi4's right now and have the benefit of being upgraded later if for some reason you need more power and can be found in USFF if you don't have a closet to stick a tower in or if you want to use it like a smart home hub.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Normally I'd say that a pi is a good way to start getting into HA but if you don't already have one they're near impossible to find right now or are overpriced like a lot of electronics so I'd say to just pick up a used Optiplex/Think Center/ProDesk instead. They can be found for virtually the same price as rpi4's right now and have the benefit of being upgraded later if for some reason you need more power and can be found in USFF if you don't have a closet to stick a tower in or if you want to use it like a smart home hub.

That's a good point. I have no idea how much a pi should cost. A random shop here sells a "Raspberry Pi 4B starter kit 8GB" with all the bits for €127, but it's on backorder anyway.

I have an old Windows laptop I can use, I'll get that set up for now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bobstar posted:

That's a good point. I have no idea how much a pi should cost. A random shop here sells a "Raspberry Pi 4B starter kit 8GB" with all the bits for €127, but it's on backorder anyway.

I have an old Windows laptop I can use, I'll get that set up for now.

I paid $120 for this starter kit in 2020. Not sure what 4B means though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Minor interest to some.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/s60fok/i_see_your_atmospheric_pressure_graphs_showing/

On the homeassistant subreddit theres a lot of folks posting their barometer data as far away as Europe showing a pressure spike after the Tonga volcano eruption on the other side of the globe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh yeah. Even these Aqara sensors with the mediocre reactivity noticed it, inside with closed windows of all this.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm trying to find the exact time it happened to look for a spike, what timestamps / timezones did you guys see it at?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Both of my pressure sensors caught it as well..

Pressure sensor on a ESP8266 in my garage, graph via Home Assistant

Pressure sensor on an Accurite 5n1 weather station, graph via WeeWX

It was just a little after 9:30AM local time on January 15th. This lines up with the graphic I saw on Twitter showing the wave propagating across the entire US. Located in south-eastern Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean this in all seriousness as I am a weather nerd, but what do you guys use your weather stations for? Are there smart home automations I'm missing?