Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

getting closer and closer to admitting that omicron is winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

could be sleep apnea issues i've heard that starting for some people post-covid

one weird trick to help with sleep apnea that i learned from my sleep apnea doctor that might work for you: fill a fanny pack with a line of tennis balls from end to end. put this on backwards (so the pack is on your back facing out) before you go to sleep. this prevents you from sleeping on your back if you're having trouble breathing while lying on your back. ymmv depending upon whether you have sleep apnea and if so what kind.

Hey thanks.

Yeah it seems a bit like sleep apnea but the issue so far is I don't even really get to sleep which people with obstructive sleep apnea can usually do. As soon as I begin to drift off it's just instant no breathing and I'm awake a few seconds later taking deeper breaths. I'm guessing it's most likely an anxiety thing and will assume as much until I get to speak with a doctor.

On that note should probably stop reading this thread for the evening/week.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 17, 2022

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bi crimes posted:

Do N95 auras feel suspiciously breathable to anyone else? I wore one on a walk this morning and it felt like I didn't have anything on my face. The seal seemed fine. I think a little more labor required to breathe normally gives me a sense of security

I have cup style 1860's and Aura 1870+'s at work (hospital) and I feel like it's easier to breathe with the Aura. I think the design of the Aura may result in more...internal volume? Maybe with an increase in actual filter surface area. That's the only thing I can think of. They both seal extremely well to my face and I'll probably continue my daily Aura use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mystes posted:

At this rate he's going to be the world's no. 2

nadal is at the AUS open and could break the majors total tie first if irony is really gonna play ball

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

grocery anecdote moment: 100% mask-wearing in bougie-mart which is a new record. some of the employees are also wearing n95s now, which they were prevented from doing previously based on talking to them at checkout. one lady was giving my respirator the bedroom eyes; sorry comrade, cloth masking is disqualifying :lofty:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Gio posted:

how long can someone theoretically be contagious for? a colleague of mine is 3 weeks out from infection but still testing positive, and HR is telling her she has to come in.

rapid antigen or PCR?

cause I thought the antigens were good at catching it while infectious, whereas PCRs can find it in your system months later

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

but surface transmission is impossible no hand washing is necessary make me my popcorn chicken

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mediaphage posted:

ehh i'm not sold on that.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Rah! posted:

but surface transmission is impossible no hand washing is necessary make me my popcorn chicken

I’ll keep eating that garbage.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hashy posted:

Insisting fomite transmission is a complete nonfactor is undiluted, aerosolized prime copium coming from inside the thread

Platystemon posted:

If China says “it was a package of cocaine”, then I can believe that it was the source of the outbreak.

We know that SARS‐CoV‐2 has a half‐life of days on some materials at room temperature. It’s not a great stretch to believe that the virus is detectible on the package—intact, infectious virus, not just RNA.

I just think that the recipient had to go out of their way to actually get infected by its contents.

so like, touch the package and then scratch their eye? Seems like it would be pretty easy to infect yourself if you had just touched an infected surface

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chard posted:

create a bunker of corsi cubes around your desk

new Batman villain dropped

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Hey thanks.

Yeah it seems a bit like sleep apnea but the issue so far is I don't even really get to sleep which people with obstructive sleep apnea can usually do. As soon as I begin to drift off it's just instant no breathing and I'm awake a few seconds later taking deeper breaths. I'm guessing it's most likely an anxiety thing and will assume as much until I get to sleep with a doctor.

On that note should probably stop reading this thread for the evening/week.

sometimes my sleep apnea does feel like i'm unable to sleep at all but i also had a major anxiety disorder even before covid so who fuckin knows

but yeah, listen to your doctor if you trust them (normally i would say trust your doctor but it's the covid thread :rubby:)

just posted about the tennis balls + fanny pack thing because it's plausible someone's gonna have them around the house and won't have to risk going out or ordering them while you wait for healthcare in the collapsed system and it literally can't hurt you/isn't unsafe in anyway

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Durf posted:

rapid antigen or PCR?

cause I thought the antigens were good at catching it while infectious, whereas PCRs can find it in your system months later

not sure unfortunately. she was insistent on burning through her sick time, but theyre really putting her in a corner right now. she’s good with masking, wears a pretty snug-fitting kn95, sometimes surgical, but…yeah.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I bet the number of people in food service that didn’t wash their hands pre-pandemic but started washing them out of concern of spreading disease once covid showed up is zero.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chard posted:

grocery anecdote moment: 100% mask-wearing in bougie-mart which is a new record. some of the employees are also wearing n95s now, which they were prevented from doing previously based on talking to them at checkout. one lady was giving my respirator the bedroom eyes; sorry comrade, cloth masking is disqualifying :lofty:

I have seen more masks when grocery shopping here in Florida, but plenty of maskless faces as well.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Loucks posted:

I’ll keep eating that garbage.

:patriot:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
absolutely any number of new cases per day is fine as long as it's perceived to be "going down" in some way and I find that really annoying

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I have seen more masks when grocery shopping here in Florida, but plenty of maskless faces as well.

yeah same. more masked people, but still plenty raw doggin it. more kn95s, havent really noticed n95s yet.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Why can't I find a gif of Nicolas Cage, driving and screaming from Leaving Las Vegas?

Because that's how this thread has felt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

it just took around 2 years of light-speed transmission to reach this point.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gio posted:

yeah same. more masked people, but still plenty raw doggin it. more kn95s, havent really noticed n95s yet.

it's mostly a sea of surgicals and cloth down here, but i did see a couple kn95s. no headstrap maskers besides me rocking my secure click

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ECDOH/status/1483084712335880194

52% in hospital fully vaccinated
43% in ICU fully vaccinated
46% on ventilators fully vaccinated

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

over

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Failson posted:

Why can't I find a gif of Nicolas Cage, driving and screaming from Leaving Las Vegas?

Because that's how this thread has felt.

i think u mean

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Chard posted:

i think u mean

keep forgetting i need to watch this

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WampaLord posted:

it's mostly a sea of surgicals and cloth down here, but i did see a couple kn95s. no headstrap maskers besides me rocking my secure click

secureclick sounds so funny though

evokes some kind of imagery of velcro shoes but for your face to me

just hearing a racheting sound and a click like a seatbelt to soothily secure you

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

empty whippet box posted:

Australia just set a national daily record for deaths after a single state reported. Going mildly well

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

kaxman posted:

Yeah when you flush a toilet some of the contents get aerosolized. Just poo poo floating through the air, ready to be inhaled.

I bet farting is actually an aerosol generating procedure.

IIRC there was a study done on this and supposedly your standard cotton underpants are enough to filter any contaminating particulates. At least in so far that you don't need to worry about your farts contaminating your petri dishes in a lab.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I've been respirator crew since August.
I've had a large and a medium secure click, a medium 6000 series, and I ordered a small 3m QL to see how it looks before finding a face to give it to. I have the master vlad skull and the exhale valve filter.

I had 3 Pfizer doses and a small Moderna shot, the latter in late December.

I've ordered about 200 n95 masks, mostly auras, and distributed them over the last month as a sort of fire-wall strategy. I make sure there's one on every coworker's purse and pocket, hand them to the cashier at the liquor store and convenience shop around the corner.

Last week, I noticed the wait staff were suddenly wearing the aura masks, and looked like deer in headlights. After 3 days off, when we came back one server was out sick. The other wait staff used their masks the whole week, and the one that popped pos wore his since the moment he was exposed and stayed home since... and somehow that worked (so far). I fully expected the restaurant to close before week's end. We did not have to, and nobody else popped pos this week.

Hypothesis: mask mandates don't matter nearly as much as having good masks handy and readily available when the fear grips.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Lastgirl posted:

secureclick sounds so funny though

evokes some kind of imagery of velcro shoes but for your face to me

just hearing a racheting sound and a click like a seatbelt to soothily secure you

It’s an extremely focus grouped name.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Everytime I pick my kids up from school I find the person coughing and choking the hardest, stand about 10 feet downwind of them, and take off my mask for 10 seconds. I figure if I can pick my time and place of catching Omicron and minimize the viral load (and I'm recently boostered) it will hopefully not be too bad.

It's pretty loving sad that we are basically back to the days of variolation.

I'll let you guys know if I die.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I’m going to make the rebook pumps of respirators

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Anyone use the Envo Mask N95s? They look amazingly comfortable. This review seemed pretty good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpfoMdXG28

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

The Wisest Moron posted:

IIRC there was a study done on this and supposedly your standard cotton underpants are enough to filter any contaminating particulates. At least in so far that you don't need to worry about your farts contaminating your petri dishes in a lab.

I had no idea, I have my rear end out 24/7 and I feel like a real jerk now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/ECDOH/status/1483084712335880194

52% in hospital fully vaccinated
43% in ICU fully vaccinated
46% on ventilators fully vaccinated

Seems bad???

zone
Dec 6, 2016

SchrodingersCat posted:

Everytime I pick my kids up from school I find the person coughing and choking the hardest, stand about 10 feet downwind of them, and take off my mask for 10 seconds. I figure if I can pick my time and place of catching Omicron and minimize the viral load (and I'm recently boostered) it will hopefully not be too bad.

:catstare:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SchrodingersCat posted:

This should be a helpful experiment since no one has gotten covid yet, we really gotta see this thing in action.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Loucks posted:

It’s an extremely focus grouped name.

securecucks with their plastic binky

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This should be a helpful experiment since no one has gotten covid yet, we really gotta see this thing in action.

Viral load at infection directly correlates to severity of infection. I am going to get Omicron anyway so I may as well control the parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SchrodingersCat posted:

Viral load at infection directly correlates to severity of infection.
Is this actually known for sure? I thought it was just one theory.