Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of my favorite little things in games is how Linkle's story is handled. On the surface she seems like a goofy joke character who is just randomly wandering around because the magic compass told her to, but gradually it becomes clear that it is in fact leading her to exactly where she needs to go to be a hero and she ends up stopping a lot of things that would have hosed the main plot over hard if she hadn't done so, culminating with her actually showing up to rescue folks at the final battle.

It's a nice way to both have the character be silly while not having her be an entire joke because it turns out that, yes, she is in fact a legendary hero with a magic item guiding her to where she is needed, just not in the way Link does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Linkle needs her own game.

:hai:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Philippe posted:

I'm playing Dying Light, and I'm having a whale of a time! Yesterday I stood on a stone outcropping and watched as a zombie repeatedly ate poo poo as it was trying to climb up to me. I even kicked it down once when it managed to get up to my level.

5/5, no notes.

yeah it's a blast once you get past the slightly clunky start.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

During God of War 3 the light on the controller changes colors to match which weapon you are using. Plus the soundtrack is really good. Plus you get to bang a chick.

God of War 3 is really good is what I’m saying here.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Just one chick?

More like oldgameless

Though I did like the fact that the portal goes directly from Hephaestus’s lovely forge to Aphrodite’s room so after you murder the hell out of him you can twist the knife even more by immediately sleeping with his wife

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Jan 16, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm starting to think this Kratos fellow is kind of a jerk!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

moosecow333 posted:

Just one chick?

More like oldgameless

Though I did like the fact that the portal goes directly from Hephaestus’s lovely forge to Aphrodite’s room so after you murder the hell out of him you can twist the knife even more by immediately sleeping with his wife

Mind you, by the mythology Aphrodite was married off to Hephaestus basically as a joke, and openly cheated on him with Ares and anyone else who took her fancy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Linkle needs her own game.

And pray god someone other than Nintendo makes it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nintendo's attitude to their IP goes in the other thread, I'm afraid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

And pray god someone other than Nintendo makes it.

Nintendo's outsourcing has... a mixed record as it is.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mind you, by the mythology Aphrodite was married off to Hephaestus basically as a joke, and openly cheated on him with Ares and anyone else who took her fancy.

“Would I not, though, Apollo of great distances!
Wrap me in chains three times the weight of these,
come goddesses and gods to see the fun;
only let me lie beside the pale-golden one!”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

One of my favorite little things in games is how Linkle's story is handled. On the surface she seems like a goofy joke character who is just randomly wandering around because the magic compass told her to, but gradually it becomes clear that it is in fact leading her to exactly where she needs to go to be a hero and she ends up stopping a lot of things that would have hosed the main plot over hard if she hadn't done so, culminating with her actually showing up to rescue folks at the final battle.

It's a nice way to both have the character be silly while not having her be an entire joke because it turns out that, yes, she is in fact a legendary hero with a magic item guiding her to where she is needed, just not in the way Link does.

Which arguably opens the door that, if there was a good approach to Linkle games, it would be to give her Master Quest-style remixes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

moosecow333 posted:

Just one chick?

More like oldgameless

Immediately sleep with his wife again. He tries to kill you in the first place because you found his wife's room by another path and took the portal back to meet him after

haveblue has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 16, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Which arguably opens the door that, if there was a good approach to Linkle games, it would be to give her Master Quest-style remixes.

That would be rad as hell, she's great but I don't actually like the game she's in very much.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Astalon: Tears of the Earth feels like Legacy of the Wizard 2 and I love it. It’s not perfect but man, it just nails that NES and exploration vibe

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

Astalon: Tears of the Earth feels like Legacy of the Wizard 2 and I love it. It’s not perfect but man, it just nails that NES and exploration vibe

it's really good and a real diamond in the rough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

It is a delightful little game and I'm sad it gets overlooked so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo's outsourcing has... a mixed record as it is.

It's a terrible catch-22: Nintendo doesn't want to make games about female protagonists, so they outsource them to studios like Team Ninja who then make garbage games like Other M, which then reinforces to Nintendo that they shouldn't make games about female protagonists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a terrible catch-22: Nintendo doesn't want to make games about female protagonists, so they outsource them to studios like Team Ninja who then make garbage games like Other M, which then reinforces to Nintendo that they shouldn't make games about female protagonists.

On the other hand the guys who made two of the shittiest Castlevanias ever (and one okay to mediocre one) made Dread and to a lesser extent Samus Returns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

iirc, Other M was entirely Yoshio Sakamoto's fault. Team Ninja wanted to do silly things like use the Nunchuk controller instead of swapping between holding the Wiimote sideways and pointing it at the screen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Foxhole

all of it

ahghh but to elaborate its a massive map multiplayer persistent war game that is played from an RTS perspective but you play yourself. all those ther assholes are other players

so when you and six dudes are mortaring a base and a tank comes rolling up and you retreat as the guys in the trenches then grenade rush them well its awesome

especially if you have local voice on so as you run away you just hear "AHHHhhhfuck" get quieter and quieter

also mortars kick rear end cuz there are three different kinds so i can shell infantry, vehicles, or light up the night sky with flares which is such a game changer just doing that for hours is a blast

verbal enema has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Jan 17, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a terrible catch-22: Nintendo doesn't want to make games about female protagonists

...so, not like all the other Metroids? And Splatoon? (Yes, you can choose between male or female Inklings but the female one is always up front and centre)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...so, not like all the other Metroids? And Splatoon? (Yes, you can choose between male or female Inklings but the female one is always up front and centre)

I'd argue the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook being front-and-center talking to the player every time you boot up the game counts as well in this instance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd argue the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook being front-and-center talking to the player every time you boot up the game counts as well in this instance.

And they're the ones who actually get to have lines and personalities as well, especially in the single-player campaigns. It's very much a female-led franchise.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Mafia III has a lot of cool little moments, and its pretty awesome that all the dlc is now available for free in the definitive edition. Anyway, I want to talk about the culmination of a story mission.

In the game, you have to take out various capos as part of the story. For this area, it's this obnoxious Boss Hog type character who's responsible for all the sex trade and drugs in late 60s not-New Orleans. In the mission, you board his paddle steamer after an explosion, taking out hundreds of his guys, then a cutscene explosion lands you and him in a scripted scene in the bayou.

This is the cool bit - he's stumbling away firing his pistol randomly. You're started off in the crouched stealth pose, and lots of waist high scenery is dotted around to take cover behind. I reckon you could do it this way, but it's pretty hard and I kept getting shot as you move too slowly to catch up to him.

Instead, after reloading the game after dying a couple of times, I just stood and strode full speed towards him as he's shooting. It makes you feel like a real bad rear end on this revenge mission, an unstoppable terminator character ignoring his wild shots and catching up to him just as he's complaining he needs a break. A fantastic set piece to end this story section.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's very charming. I like that the title screen tries to trick the player the same way the hotel tricks the characters, by making it seem like the hotel is a nice shining tower of luxury before the trap is sprung and resuming the game reveals the real title screen as the spooky version of the hotel, it's a cute thing.

I also like that it goes for the fully-explorable environment like in the first game (never played the first two but saw an LP of the first and heard the second one was more mission-based) and collecting the elevator buttons is a cool way to unlock new floors. The gems on each floor are also kind of fun secrets, as are the secret rooms that only contain money.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The detail in Policenauts is ridiculous. You can click on basically everything and get a full rundown of why it exists in a futuristic space city. Also slowbeef's translation is excellent.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Metroid is historically the lowest-selling 'main' Nintendo series, and does especially poorly in Japan - it's popular in the West but not at home. It's the same trajectory that the Fire Emblem series has been on lately.

Part of Other M's hosed up development was Yoshio Sakamoto promising that he could make a Metroid game that would be popular in the Eastern market.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's very charming. I like that the title screen tries to trick the player the same way the hotel tricks the characters, by making it seem like the hotel is a nice shining tower of luxury before the trap is sprung and resuming the game reveals the real title screen as the spooky version of the hotel, it's a cute thing.

I also like that it goes for the fully-explorable environment like in the first game (never played the first two but saw an LP of the first and heard the second one was more mission-based) and collecting the elevator buttons is a cool way to unlock new floors. The gems on each floor are also kind of fun secrets, as are the secret rooms that only contain money.

The best part of the game is the dedicated button to call for Mario.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's very charming.

The dial above the elevator has a unique shape on each floor, like it’s a dumbbell on the gym floor and a bone on the museum floor. The attention to detail in that game is fantastic, pretty much every room has some small thing that could belong in this thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The dial above the elevator has a unique shape on each floor, like it’s a dumbbell on the gym floor and a bone on the museum floor. The attention to detail in that game is fantastic, pretty much every room has some small thing that could belong in this thread

The hotel setting despite its many obvious absurdities feels like a surprisingly real place, with all the maintenance and service areas.

Another very easily missed thing is that apparently, the HD rumble when you detect a Boo in a room is actually Morse code. It spells B O O

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At the end of Metro 2033, you go out with your cool squad of tier one operators who are the best to go storm their way through the nuclear wasteland of Moscow, get to the top of a ruined tower, and put down a laser designator to guide some sick-rear end missiles into the hive of the new mutant threat that will almost certainly doom humanity. What's the cool badass song to get you going that plays on your way to doing that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mmMAukry0

While at the end you get to make a moral choice (if you tried to be moral), I've always enjoyed just how hard the game tries to scream at you that you're about to gently caress up big time and (canonically) there is nothing you can do about it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've said it before, but every time I play Breath of the Wild I get angry that every other open world exploration game doesn't have a paraglider you can pop out at will. It just feels so natural and fundamental to getting around, it's the best thing in the game :kiss:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MDK of all games with its weird rear end cut-up ribbon paraglider was the first time I encountered a game with a dedicated 'you're gliding now' button unless you count Sonic & Knuckles and I'm with you, more games ought to have that kind of soft-fall stuff. A minor disappointment of the Arkham games for me was that Batman's cape only kinda sorta works that way, the man is very heavy.

edit: Except for when you grapple launch from a building into the air, then you get the full effect and Really Feel Like The Batman

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've said it before, but every time I play Breath of the Wild I get angry that every other open world exploration game doesn't have a paraglider you can pop out at will. It just feels so natural and fundamental to getting around, it's the best thing in the game :kiss:

Sounds like you need to play just cause.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Far Cry 6 is excellent for its wingsuit and magical self-packing parachute. You can't get the wingsuit until you're off the tutorial island, but once you have it unlocked you not only have a mountain base in El Este that you can exit via wingsuit in any direction, you also just... get the option to appear above any fast travel point high up in the air to wingsuit in any direction. The only catch is you have to destroy the anti-air radar for that area, which I am quickly approaching from midair while holding an RPG :hellyeah:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Breetai posted:

Sounds like you need to play just cause.

That reminds me: in Just Cause 4 (the only one I've played as of yet) it's really easy to accidentally wingsuit into a building and when you do your guy goes "argh!" and you ragdoll painfully to the ground. It's funny every time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, the Just Cause wingsuit is great, and I've bought FC6 but haven't played it yet. But there's still an awful lot of gliderless games out there

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, the Just Cause wingsuit is great, and I've bought FC6 but haven't played it yet. But there's still an awful lot of gliderless games out there
For FC6, blast through the story missions until you reach the main island, the game will try to get you to go to the northwest part first as it's recommendation. Head straight for the southeastern mountains and meet El Tigre, then build the guerilla outpost. You are now on a tall mountain with a wingsuit. El Tigre isn't required, I just think he's neat :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Pianist boss in Luigi's Mansion 3 is super fun (floor 4). I just love the flow of that fight.