Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
there's the lady that spends her time screaming at people in central dublin for sinning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

PowerBeard posted:

1 Our Father, 8 Hail Marys and that other weird prayer I forget the name of each time and just mumble along to it when it comes up during burials. Rosary Beads have 8 coloured beads and a black bead either side to help you count along.

Oh they rock up to somewhere and do a Rosary?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, apparently it's a weekly thing but they moved to get in and gently caress up the vigil today.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Truly a face that needs a good smack.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Holy gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got very confused for a minute why dara o briain was writing opinion pieces and why they had used a photo of eddie hitler.

Also wouldn't... wouldn't quite a lot of the people moving to Ireland in 2019 be... brits? Who are presumably leaving the other horrible north atlantic island where nothing works and you can't afford a house?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Too many foreigners bringing their 100,000's of euros over and stealing our houses by buying them outright!
Down with this sort of thing.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

OwlFancier posted:

Also wouldn't... wouldn't quite a lot of the people moving to Ireland in 2019 be... brits? Who are presumably leaving the other horrible north atlantic island where nothing works and you can't afford a house?

can confirm. also planning on buying here, sorry.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

This was posted in the thread on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Settingrecords1/status/1482508926713270281

They did it, they somehow found a way to come off as even bigger bastards...

They keep going, it gets even worse.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently that's some known shitlord who is stalking Elisa O'Donovan.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

OwlFancier posted:

Got very confused for a minute why dara o briain was writing opinion pieces and why they had used a photo of eddie hitler.

No. Of the 240,000~ immigrants who've moved to Ireland since 2019 only 17,000 have been British.

7,500 of 89,000 in 2019 specifically, if you want to get more granular. No major proportional increase vs other years.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blut posted:

No. Of the 240,000~ immigrants who've moved to Ireland since 2019 only 17,000 have been British.

7,500 of 89,000 in 2019 specifically, if you want to get more granular. No major proportional increase vs other years.

Irish nationals represent a huge proportion of that. 34% (29k) in the year you referenced.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2020/

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Why do Malta, Cyprus, Luxomborg and Ireland have the highest immigration in Europe. Only related factor I can see is they are also the major tax havens in Europe.

Wonder how much of the immigration is relocation for tax purposes or rich non-eu citizens immigrating there for residency purposes.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Irish nationals represent a huge proportion of that. 34% (29k) in the year you referenced.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2020/

Yeah a large number of the millions of Irish emigrants are since the Celtic Tiger so called "boomerang emigrants". They go abroad during their 20s and 30s to places like Sydney, Toronto or London but come home when their visa expires, they get homesick, or they decide its time to raise a family. Or when they retire at the end of their careers. So in most years when theres no economic recession in Ireland the numbers of Irish national emigrants and immigrants are roughly equal. 29k for both in the year to April 2020 from that link for example.

Marenghi posted:

Why do Malta, Cyprus, Luxomborg and Ireland have the highest immigration in Europe. Only related factor I can see is they are also the major tax havens in Europe.

Wonder how much of the immigration is relocation for tax purposes or rich non-eu citizens immigrating there for residency purposes.

Approx 70% of the workers in some of the larger tech MNCs in Ireland are non-Irish. A huge number of graduate roles require fluency in English and another language, which means almost no Irish people qualify. Thats a big driver of 25-35 year old EU inwards professional class migration. Lots of these young EU workers also only come here for a few years and then return home (in the same way Irish people go to Sydney etc), which inflates their inwards immigration statistics figures due to the constant churn.

Then you also get the working class EU migration - Eastern Europeans doing construction etc - because of the comparatively very high wages in Ireland.

And just general economic migration from poorer countries like Nigeria Pakistan etc.

The other countries do get relocation for tax purposes due to their more favourable personal tax regimes, but no individual is moving to Ireland for that reason. Individuals here face punitive income tax levels, its only corporations that the government loves and gives sweetheart deals to. Thats why a lot of our local, wildly wealthy, morally bankrupt, types like Dennis O'Brien are actually tax resident in Malta and not Ireland.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Guess our tax regime is more for corps than people. Given all our rich people are only here for few months of the year to stay outside the tax system.

But we do have one of the cheapest residency through investments in Europe.

A non-eu millionaire can become a citizen by investing a million into Irish real estate. You'd easily spend that much on a few BTLs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

Guess our tax regime is more for corps than people. Given all our rich people are only here for few months of the year to stay outside the tax system.

A non-eu millionaire can become a citizen by investing a million into Irish real estate. You'd easily spend that much on a few BTLs

Some pre-63 houses on the NCR that are subdivided into like 6 flats probably already go for 900k+ each

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That threshold for rich people to buy an Irish passport does have the vibe of Dr Evil picking a big number for ransom.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Investment visas are much cheaper in most of the rest of the EU than in Ireland. Its €350k in Belgium and Malta, €250k in Greece and Italy, €500k in Spain and Portugal etc. Ireland is nowhere near the cheapest at €1million.

Ireland also isn't remotely attractive for the mega rich for quality of life. It has awful weather and none of the cultural activities of world cities like London, Paris or Madrid or lifestyle cachet of plays like Mikonos or Cannes. Its not a common location for the financial elite to move to at all.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Edit: gently caress it

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 18, 2022

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Blut posted:

Investment visas are much cheaper in most of the rest of the EU than in Ireland. Its €350k in Belgium and Malta, €250k in Greece and Italy, €500k in Spain and Portugal etc. Ireland is nowhere near the cheapest at €1million.

Ireland also isn't remotely attractive for the mega rich for quality of life. It has awful weather and none of the cultural activities of world cities like London, Paris or Madrid or lifestyle cachet of plays like Mikonos or Cannes. Its not a common location for the financial elite to move to at all.

They don't have to live here to want our passport. Literally yesterday was an article about Irelands rich list. The richest Irish citizen is an Indian billionaire who lives in India.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Marenghi posted:

Blut posted:

Approx 70% of the workers in some of the larger tech MNCs in Ireland are non-Irish. A huge number of graduate roles require fluency in English and another language, which means almost no Irish people qualify. Thats a big driver of 25-35 year old EU inwards professional class migration. Lots of these young EU workers also only come here for a few years and then return home (in the same way Irish people go to Sydney etc), which inflates their inwards immigration statistics figures due to the constant churn.

Call Centers play a part in the higher immigration.
Due to tax cuts a lot of call centers are in Ireland. And as education on languages is backward here and in the UK, you have to bring in people who speak german, french, spanish, etc.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

They don't have to live here to want our passport. Literally yesterday was an article about Irelands rich list. The richest Irish citizen is an Indian billionaire who lives in India.

Its an EU passport, the vast majority of the world would love to have one obviously. But its still completely factually incorrect to say Ireland has "one of the cheapest residency through investments in Europe" or that its attractive to relocate to for global ultra high net worth individuals.

happyhippy posted:

Call Centers play a part in the higher immigration.
Due to tax cuts a lot of call centers are in Ireland. And as education on languages is backward here and in the UK, you have to bring in people who speak german, french, spanish, etc.

The lack of second language skills, still, in Ireland is absolutely horrendous. Google, Facebook and all the rest have been in Ireland for decades at this point and have been screaming about it being a major recruitment problem for all of that time. Its really not that hard to teach/learn other languages, the Irish education system is just piss poor at it.

Blut fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 18, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Irish education system cant produce graduates who speak Irish to a reasonable degree. How will it ever manage other less important (to the Irish) languages? Education needs to be fully overhauled in this country. All vestiges of the church need to be done away with.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Southpaugh posted:

The Irish education system cant produce graduates who speak Irish to a reasonable degree. How will it ever manage other less important (to the Irish) languages? Education needs to be fully overhauled in this country. All vestiges of the church need to be done away with.

You start them in primary school like most other countries do with english.
There's not many Irish degrees as its as valuable as phrenology or chicken bone divination.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's not a fair comparison. There's plenty of tories over in england who think that the latter two are real.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

There's not many Irish degrees as its as valuable as phrenology or chicken bone divination.

It's useful in that it's an EU language and there will always be translation jobs, though obviously there's circular logic at play there. Also, it's the only means by which we can engage with our rich and extensive written history,mythology, musical traditions, etc.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

happyhippy posted:

Well yes, no poo poo. I know how language education works. And Irish is important still for many state jobs teachers, civil servants etc.

We only teach Irish and English for historical and cultural reasons. If we could only teach one or the other we would do that. Why? Because of under investment in education in Ireland, and the domination of the education system by The Roman Catholic Church. My previous post being essentially "The Irish Education system is not fit for purpose, currently and historically." Ergo, there will never be any ability for irish society to produce graduates who have the international language skills to fill international language roles currently open in Ireland based multinationals.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also, it's the only means by which we can engage with our rich and extensive written history,mythology, musical traditions, etc.
That's just not true. It may be the best means of doing so, but we can always engage through any language we happen to be speaking.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

That's just not true. It may be the best means of doing so, but we can always engage through any language we happen to be speaking.

Ah cmon you know what I mean, engaging with as a primary source. Not trying to be exclusionary here, Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom showed us that anyone can be a trad scholar

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry, knee jerk reaction after talking down the tedious pub gaeilgeoirs too often. My fault.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Sorry, knee jerk reaction after talking down the tedious pub gaeilgeoirs too often. My fault.

Yeah we've all been that soldier in our time, ní maith liom do thrioblóid

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Theres a fairly easy solution: take away the 3-5~ mandatory hours a week dedicated to religion in primary and early secondary. And take away the 3-5~ mandatory hours a week dedicated to Irish in primary and secondary. Let anyone who has a passion for either esoteric subject choose to study them in their own time.

Then devote that 6-10 hours a week, for 12 years of education, to an actually useful (but still easily learnt for native English speakers) world language like Spanish or French.

Even with the problematic teaching methodology/underfunding of the Irish education system as it stands currently that would do absolute wonders for increasing language proficiency in Irish people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not doing religion in primary didn't do poo poo for my ability to speak any other language.

Also you are short by two years.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Not doing religion is only half the battle, you'd obviously also need to actually be using those saved hours for language education.

Most countries don't do formal foreign language education in the equivalent of junior/senior infants as far as I'm aware, its only from 6 years old, ie in Ireland 1st class on-wards.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The bigger issue with Gaelige isn't that it's taught in schools as opposed to Spanish, Mandarin or whatever; it's how it's taught. There's no effort at all put into learning it to speak it and until that changes it's completely wasted on kids. We absolutely should be given the opportunity to use it daily even if it's not part of the curriculums. My wife can speak four languages because she grew up speaking four languages and until we have that same kind of infrastructure and method of teaching replacing Irish with French, German or whatever will do gently caress all for multilingualism because the way they teach foreign languages here is just shite.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I attended an English speaking school, like I imagine most people here do, but what do the Gaelscoils do differently? Do they teach other subjects in Irish, day to day stuff in Irish or is there another approach to Irish in the classroom that they take?

I have to say, spending a few weeks in the Gaeltacht did a whole heap for my comprehension of spoken Irish, but I've also no idea how universal that is because anything was better than my Secondary school's approach to it, which is how I ended up with 7 Irish teachers over my time in the one school. I did the irregular verbs something like 9 times since primary school, so perhaps the Gealtacht helped me out as an almost absolute beginner and would be less useful for people with a higher level of Irish

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I attended an English speaking school, like I imagine most people here do, but what do the Gaelscoils do differently? Do they teach other subjects in Irish, day to day stuff in Irish or is there another approach to Irish in the classroom that they take?

I have to say, spending a few weeks in the Gaeltacht did a whole heap for my comprehension of spoken Irish, but I've also no idea how universal that is because anything was better than my Secondary school's approach to it, which is how I ended up with 7 Irish teachers over my time in the one school. I did the irregular verbs something like 9 times since primary school, so perhaps the Gealtacht helped me out as an almost absolute beginner and would be less useful for people with a higher level of Irish

Gaelscoil teach through Irish, I don't think you're allowed to speak English at all except in English. They are horrendously elitist though and getting your child into them is a struggle. Especially if you don't start from playschool.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Gaelscoil teach through Irish, I don't think you're allowed to speak English at all except in English. They are horrendously elitist though and getting your child into them is a struggle. Especially if you don't start from playschool.

Teachers at gaelscoils and their children are also the kind of people who have a conniption if you use the phrase "how its taught" cos it worked for them. Hint: It did not work for them and they spoke irish at home. I genuinely think its a strain of elitism within irish society and amongst teachers themselves. Perversely preferring that the broken irish language system stays in place and the rest of us get to slum it speaking english, like a bunch of saxons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Teachers at gaelscoils and their children are also the kind of people who have a conniption if you use the phrase "how its taught" cos it worked for them. Hint: It did not work for them and they spoke irish at home. I genuinely think its a strain of elitism within irish society and amongst teachers themselves. Perversely preferring that the broken irish language system stays in place and the rest of us get to slum it speaking english, like a bunch of saxons.

That's honestly been a problem since the Gaelic League was formed.