Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Chemist eventually get better? Seems weakish right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fadam posted:

Does Chemist eventually get better? Seems weakish right now.

chemist the class sucks but mix is the single best skill in th entire game and its not even close

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fungah! posted:

chemist the class sucks but mix is the single best skill in th entire game and its not even close

Oh cool, what can you do with it? My selection sucks rn

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fungah! posted:

this

fadam posted:

a lot of damage calculations/HP/etc. are done by how high your level is which is something Mix can change, for one

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fadam posted:

Chemist can solo every boss in the game, it is insanely powerful if you know how to use it.
This covers the most useful stuff

Maiden’s Kiss + Turtle Shell is very very good and is your Chemist bread and butter. The turtles near the library drop turtle shells so they are pretty easy to farm.

Boosting your level with Mix is also very handy at times, especially if you combine it with a level based skill like GilToss.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the only place in the game that I use mix is to cast reflect before you get the spell on the dragon that casts level 3 flare. I can't be bothered to learn what all the combos are for some reason

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fadam posted:

literally anything. huge cures, do tons of damage, insane buffs and debuffs. you can apply boss-only tags like Heavy to your characters and break scripting on bosses with bacchus wine including on the sfc version at least you cn skip the second phase of the last boss entirely. literally nything in game mechanics you can think of mix can do if youre willing to grind for the materials

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
mix owns but you will probably need a guide to find all the OP stuff... but its worth it. FFV owns so hard

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ty all.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I didn't use chemist 'cause I'm not going to open a spreadsheet to play final fantasy.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I didn't use chemist 'cause I'm not going to open a spreadsheet to play final fantasy.

you can still brutalize the game just fine with Sword Magic, X Fight and Two Weapons

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i never got far in ffv on an emaulator but i'll give it a good go when i get around to the pixel remasters. i want to do iv first though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Grinding up ABP in the Tainted Area

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
ff5s my favorite and any gamer who hasnt played it should

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Got dual wield on one of my guys and now he’s working on getting rapid fire. It’s all coming together.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fadam posted:

Got dual wield on one of my guys and now he’s working on getting rapid fire. It’s all coming together.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

holy poo poo the gil toss ability does like 3 times as much as my next best skill lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fadam posted:

holy poo poo the gil toss ability does like 3 times as much as my next best skill lol

The cost and damage of giltoss goes up based on your level. If I remember correctly the cost does not go up if you use chemist mixes to boost level but the damage does, so you can do 9999 pretty easy without grinding tons of levels.

Chemist + Samurai is insanely good. I speedrun FFV and once you’ve got chemist and samurai almost every boss is taken down with giltoss and/or mix.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

The cost and damage of giltoss goes up based on your level. If I remember correctly the cost does not go up if you use chemist mixes to boost level but the damage does, so you can do 9999 pretty easy without grinding tons of levels.

Chemist + Samurai is insanely good. I speedrun FFV and once you’ve got chemist and samurai almost every boss is taken down with giltoss and/or mix.

Neat, this game owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there are a million different ways to completely break final fantasy 5 and as long as you mostly don't run from combat, you don't even have to grind that much.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why does Samurai get that ability anyway, what’s the lore?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
its a pretty obscure reference to 1930s japanese detective novels apparently, where a detective named zenigata heiji would capture criminals by throwing coins at them. one of those super weird things that you could only do way back when and its stuck now cuz its iconic final fantasy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its a pretty obscure reference to 1930s japanese detective novels apparently, where a detective named zenigata heiji would capture criminals by throwing coins at them. one of those super weird things that you could only do way back when and its stuck now cuz its iconic final fantasy.

That rocks

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've seen like two episodes of Lupin III, but for some reason I recognized that name and Zenigata in that show is a descendent of that detective. That's badass

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This took me like fifteen minutes lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fadam posted:

This took me like fifteen minutes lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks for telling me about Mix lol, I needed it on 3 of my guys for almost every boss in the last dungeon.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Using the chemist to raise a enemy's level and the level 5 death is the only way to play ffv

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

played through III on NES last year for the second time. it's a slog at points and the sage and ninja jobs completely break the game once you have them but i really enjoyed it overall, it's super ambitious and long for a NES game. feels very much like the precursor to V in a lot of ways

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

dang its so dumb that the pixel remasters arent on switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Uhhh.... lol

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1485734404680925184?t=9iBqSu7_iKMHMaFCZG-JgQ&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
stranger of paradise is going to own

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol. badass

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this is gonna whoop so much rear end. what the gently caress is going on

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1485749436307361798?t=YtUy3mgB-TR6-2AAcEHvAQ&s=19

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Id prefer he didnt make a thread for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao