Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Handwritten letter:

quote:

Memorandum

Except for the two of (redacted since this seems personal) and his wife, I will not disclose everything that happened, and I will not discuss the mistakes of the past. I will not harass you with the debt relationship between the two of you , and I will accept it if I mention it again . In the future , no punishment or responsibility for money matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa! That's awesome; thank you guys for translating that. Although after living in the house for a few years I had two thoughts

1. It's no surprise these people had no money for repairs & maintenance
2. The translation with every other word as "Screaming" seems most accurate

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

House Ownership Thread: screaming screaming screaming screaming

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Live translation AR tech is loving fascinating to me. Using it is probably as close as I've ever felt to being in the future I thought we'd have by 2022.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
PO left a lot of stuff, which we got extra from the escrow to dispose of. Ditched most (jars of used nails and screws) kept the good stuff. Found a cool old typewriter, some beakers(think the son was into chemistry), cool looking old liquor bottles and behind a wall a ziplock of bicentennial quarters.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Our place had some of the standard basement stuff, old paint, brushes, lightbulbs, a beat to hell kitchen table that’s seen duty as a workbench.

The tenants that the PO was renting to left a couple of snow shovels when they moved out.

The most notable find was this receipt that I found in a hole in the chimney brickwork in the basement. The address is a couple blocks away, and is now a convenience store. No date, but I’m sure I could get a rough idea based on prices.

When the tenants moved out they pointed me to a “box of paint,” when I opened it I thought that “Mashed Potatoes” was a weird name for a paint color. Turns out it wasn’t paint, but a stock of Patriot’s Pantry food. The receipt in the box was from 2018, and was ordered by a previous tenant.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Those translated letters were fascinating, thanks for translating Tunicate screaming screaming screaming.

Our analysis is probably pretty close, sounds like they cashed loan checks they could not pay back. And maybe got them forgiven somehow?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TerminalSaint posted:

So I'm in my basement utility room looking up in the main floor joists to see how much of a pain in the rear end it'll be to run new romex and replace the fluorescents with LEDs, when I see a mysterious brown paper bag. I pull it out and, my hopes for it being a wad of cash dashed, I discover a 35 year old bottle of Royal Reserve.

Anyone else have interesting gifts from POs?
No pix, sorry, but when we bought our house, a summer home, the previous owner asked our realtor if he could leave the furniture. We said hot drat, yes, because we were having mover difficulties and this would let us move in immediately.

The treasures include a turn-of-the-20th century brass bed, a big generous (formica-topped) kitchen table with the only comfortable kitchen-table chairs I've ever sat in, a vintage Philco console radio/photograph that I hope to refurbish some day, and Prudence Penny's American Woman's Cookbook. There was also a lot of junk that we're slowly getting rid of.

Oh, and two lopsided cocktail glasses imprinted "Mistake".

e: Home Ownership Thread: There was no news, so I listened to the fans.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 17, 2022

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Our PO's left us a half way decent TV in the garage (which the old guy who died had been using as his get away). It's mounted above a work bench so it's staying there.

Also in the garage they left us a working fridge, a decent 10-15 airplane bottles of Crown Royal, a motor cycle helmet, some PGA tour flags, a random U2 poster that is so embedded in the wall it's basically permanent now, the afore mentioned work bench, and a loving barber chair.

Yes, barber chair. Old enough that it has an ash tray in the armrest. Pretty comfortable, the PO obviously knew how to kick back and have a good time drinking whisky and presumably watching golf on that TV.

Oh, and like five cans of Billy Beer in the fridge. Yes, the beer made by Jimmy Carter's bother. Yes, the beer that was only made in the 70s. No, we haven't tried it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is there an appliance thread, or is this the best place? I looked in DIY, but didn't see it. I'm worried that my washer is slowly dying as it's over 10 years old, and the spin cycle is doing a worse and worse job of getting the water out. I have a gas dryer, but thinking of switching to a heat pump dryer. I'm in a long term process of moving all my gas appliances to electric for various reasons.

Does anyone have recommendations on top loading washers and heat pump dryers? Even just brands to stay away from. I know Samsung has had a bad rep in the past.

I'm looking at this Maytag washer https://www.abt.com/Maytag-4.8-Cu.-Ft.-White-Top-Load-Washer-With-Deep-Fill-MVW6200KW/p/153825.html
And this Whirpool dryer https://www.abt.com/Whirlpool-7.4-C...W/p/129591.html

I'm open to just about anything though, I just started looking and I don't really have any brand loyalty.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I’ve had good luck with a top loading he Maytag. Also my wife doesn’t understand that just because she can smash it in the washer didn’t mean she should. Poor thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bird in a Blender posted:

Is there an appliance thread, or is this the best place? I looked in DIY, but didn't see it. I'm worried that my washer is slowly dying as it's over 10 years old, and the spin cycle is doing a worse and worse job of getting the water out. I have a gas dryer, but thinking of switching to a heat pump dryer. I'm in a long term process of moving all my gas appliances to electric for various reasons.

Does anyone have recommendations on top loading washers and heat pump dryers? Even just brands to stay away from. I know Samsung has had a bad rep in the past.

I'm looking at this Maytag washer https://www.abt.com/Maytag-4.8-Cu.-Ft.-White-Top-Load-Washer-With-Deep-Fill-MVW6200KW/p/153825.html
And this Whirpool dryer https://www.abt.com/Whirlpool-7.4-C...W/p/129591.html

I'm open to just about anything though, I just started looking and I don't really have any brand loyalty.

No valuable input on your questions from me, but good on you for looking through Abt. Heard nothing but positives, it's really nice when you can support a smaller non-giant business where the experience and even price can be legitimately better than a big box store. Not a lot of those around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It helps that I’m like 5 miles away. It’s pretty much my go to appliance place. The store is humongous and very nice. Lots of sales people on the floor, but they’re not too bad.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

No valuable input on your questions from me, but good on you for looking through Abt. Heard nothing but positives, it's really nice when you can support a smaller non-giant business where the experience and even price can be legitimately better than a big box store. Not a lot of those around.

After 15 years on this website I can finally say truthfully, my uncle works there. Really good customer service and they usually try to make it right instead of being weenies about everything, even if they don’t usually have the absolute lowest price.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just got a call from the appliance place saying that Bosch thought my dishwasher might be available in mid-February? Maybe? This is substantial progress, because we ordered the thing in August and this is the first time the store was able to get an actual date from Bosch. :toot:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Am I right in thinking it's better to disassemble a 9ft slate pool table with a hammer than let some Craigslist rando try to remove it from my house if no shops are interested in taking it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Am I right in thinking it's better to disassemble a 9ft slate pool table with a hammer than let some Craigslist rando try to remove it from my house if no shops are interested in taking it?

Yes. Pool tables are largely worthless/worth less than the cost of properly moving them. Put it in the bin unless someone who wants it is willing to have it moved from your home by professional and insured movers.

I had only a few major items detailed in the contract for the purchase of my last house, and one of the very first ones was "that loving pool table better not be here".

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My PO just left me a ton of cat PP and rat BMs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an appliance recommendation thread?

Bought a 100 year old house most recently used as a rental, and would like to replace a dying fridge. As well as maybe the stove, and washer/dryer.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If it's dying you might have to take whatever is in stock.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My POs were racecar drivers, and used half the 4 car garage as a workshop for rebuilding cars. So there's quite a few old racing posters hung up (they took a few when they sold but left others). When I close my garage door there's a huge jolly green giant poster on the ceiling. Also a poster for the racecar driver "Dick Trickle" which I can't not laugh at.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

freeasinbeer posted:

Is there an appliance recommendation thread?

Bought a 100 year old house most recently used as a rental, and would like to replace a dying fridge. As well as maybe the stove, and washer/dryer.
Sometimes it happens here, sometimes in the tools thread.

Top tip: Do NOT buy Samsung. They break, and when they break you can't get parts, because Samsung isn't interested in exporting them when they could be exporting whole appliances instead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In general Ive heard nothing but bad things about the longevity/repairability of samsung and to some degree LG but thats mostly anecdotes from friends and family.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Verman posted:

In general Ive heard nothing but bad things about the longevity/repairability of samsung and to some degree LG but thats mostly anecdotes from friends and family.

FWIW We've had LG washer/dryer sets in this house and the last house, and been happy with them. I wish we'd been able to do another front loader at the new house, but the washer/dryer being in a purpose-built closet upstairs would have mad that a bigger hassle. But We've been happy with both, with no issues on either set (5 years at the last house, 3 and a half at the current)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My new place came with all brand new Samsung stuff, I expect much anger as soon as the warranty is up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Consumer Reports likes and recommends LG washers and dryers.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Consumer Reports likes and recommends LG washers and dryers.

That’s what we bought based on their recommendations and my wife wanting a top loading washer.

We’ve used consumer reports as a general guide for that and for other things like TVs and now a stove (delivery hopefully at end of month) and been happy with it.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If it helps I have a GE fridge made by LG and it’s a piece of poo poo.

We have a GE dishwasher and it’s fine but when it dies I’m buying a Bosch with a silverware rack.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Upgrade posted:

If it helps I have a GE fridge made by LG and it’s a piece of poo poo.

We have a GE dishwasher and it’s fine but when it dies I’m buying a Bosch with a silverware rack.

Order it now lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

Order it now lol

I ordered a Bosch dishwasher in August. Yesterday I got a call saying it might be here in mid-February, and that's the first time Bosch has given any hint of when it will be shipped.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Elephanthead posted:

Order it now lol

Sadly our current one works great snd is only a few years old so I will using the silverware box like a loving moron for years to come

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Do people generally find google ratings reliable for plumbers/electricians/etc? I need to find a plumber to diagnose and fix a slow leak in a toilet, and this is my time needing to hire someone to fix something as a homeowner.

My guess is it’s an issue with the O-ring, but what do I know? What’s a reasonable estimate to get something like that replaced in the Boston area?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We pay our delivery drivers 20 bucks to get a five or four star review and one guy gets like 20 a week cause he is a total sweet talker and they feel bad he is dying of cancer for 10 years or whatever he says.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

Do people generally find google ratings reliable for plumbers/electricians/etc? I need to find a plumber to diagnose and fix a slow leak in a toilet, and this is my time needing to hire someone to fix something as a homeowner.

My guess is it’s an issue with the O-ring, but what do I know? What’s a reasonable estimate to get something like that replaced in the Boston area?

Toilets are pretty simple - if you're up for it you can almost certainly fix it yourself. This will give you every single part you need to rebuild the inside of the toilet.

A slow leak is almost certainly the flapper, which requires no tools and is $5 (and is included with the first kit).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Smoke alarm is malfunctioning, beeps every 30s which according to the back of the alarm means "its malfunctioning".

Here's the rub. It's hardwired, and it's the only one. Located on the second floor. With a black, white and red wire all connected. I'm excited to find out where that red one goes.

What a glow up

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

StormDrain posted:

What a glow up

“While I’m in here” escalated to whole ceiling replacement?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Follow-up question: what's the best way to demolish 800lbs of slate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Not sure if I mentioned it but all three of the samples of the random vinyl flooring in my 1950s death house somehow came back negative for asbestos, even the extremely old one below, which was apparently the best selling vinyl floor of all time.

Our painting contractor is almost done, he absolutely killed it and it was 100% the right thing to do to just hire him.

Basically all that's left is to get the doors in, blinds installed, enamel the bathtub and lay the flooring. Honestly I probably should have hired out contractors sooner, but I saved a ton of money doing most of the demolition and cleaning myself. It's still a really nice feeling to be done with the destruction phase and be onto the 'rebuilding' phase.