Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It just comes down to routines I'd guess. Before, I'd put my socks on in the hallway standing up, but now that I'm tucking my shirt and have stairs in the hallway, I'm likely to sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How many consumer grade 1500W space heaters can you run in a house before you get into questionable safety? My heat is out and I'm not sure it will be fixed by tonight. I'd at least like to run some space heaters in various rooms to try and get the temp up before sundown. Mostly for the sake of my plumbing.

Edit: Probably less stupid to just use a single space heater and move it from room to room and let it run for an hour or so under supervision, huh?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 17, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

How many consumer grade 1500W space heaters can you run in a house before you get into questionable safety? My heat is out and I'm not sure it will be fixed by tonight. I'd at least like to run some space heaters in various rooms to try and get the temp up before sundown. Mostly for the sake of my plumbing.

Depends on the circuit. Most household circuits are like 15 amps, with 40 amp circuits for appliances. You’ll have a different circuit for different parts of the house and the whole house tops out at 200a iirc.

A 1500w heater in North America is drawing 12.5 amps (current=wattage/voltage). So assuming you have two appliance circuits equaling 80 amps, you can run ten of those heaters and nothing else. Just try not to plug them into the same circuit or you’ll blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool, good to know. Running two in rooms with different circuit breakers doesn't sound too nightmarish then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One other thing to remember - they are expensive. If you’re stuck with them for an extended period expect your power bill to go up considerably.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McCracAttack posted:

Edit: Probably less stupid to just use a single space heater and move it from room to room and let it run for an hour or so under supervision, huh?

Maybe four.

The limiting factor is probably going to be how many separate circuits there are in useful places. Like, if two adjacent bedrooms are on one circuit, only one of them is getting a space heater.

If all the bathrooms are on one circuit, common practice because then they can use one GFCI for protection from hairdryers in sinks, only one bathroom gets a space heater.

You can involve extensions cords to get some flexibility, but extension cords and space heaters are a dangerous combination. If you need to do this, use a 12‐gauge cord, don’t run it under anything, like a rug or furniture, and don’t let it coil on itself.

No matter how you do this, even just moving one space heater around, you are stressing circuits of your house that have never been stressed so much before. Your microwave isn’t as powerful as a space heater, and it’s on for only minutes at a time.

I recommend oil‐filled radiators as generally the safest and nicest space heaters, but they’re expensive and if you only need it for a day, the models that use fans to force air over hot coils are a quarter the cost. They are, however, inherently more dangerous, because parts of them get “melt stuff” hot, unlike the radiators that only get “uncomfortably warm ”on the outside. Keep them well away from anything flammable, and don’t let them tip over.

It sounds like you’ll be around to keep an eye on things. This is good. Do not leave a space heater unattended.

tuyop posted:

Depends on the circuit. Most household circuits are like 15 amps, with 40 amp circuits for appliances. You’ll have a different circuit for different parts of the house and the whole house tops out at 200a iirc.

A 1500w heater in North America is drawing 12.5 amps (current=wattage/voltage). So assuming you have two appliance circuits equaling 80 amps, you can run ten of those heaters and nothing else. Just try not to plug them into the same circuit or you’ll blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

New construction may have two hundred amp service, but most homes don’t. They could have one hundred, even sixty amp service.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

alnilam posted:

I agree that it seems like a great exercise in balance to put your socks on standing up, but i think the person's question was more about how their mom talked about it like it's unusual to put your socks on sitting down. I am with the OP that it it seems more typical to put them on sitting down but am equally curious now if maybe I'm the weird one. Like it's not something that comes up a lot so i have no idea and I never really thought much about it before.

*:pray:pleasedon'trevivetheasswipingdebate:pray:pleasedon'trevivetheasswipingdebate:pray:pleasedon'trevivetheasswipingdebate:pray:*

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The debate ends when bidet enters the chat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

On the off-chance your house is mostly brick or stone, the residual heat will take a day or so to bleed off once you've got it up to temperature.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LuckyCat posted:

The debate ends when bidet enters the chat.
do people who say this even have bidets? you still have to wipe unless you want to walk around with a wet rear end

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My heat has been fixed but I appreciate everyone in here helping me make sure my "plan B" wasn't a complete death trap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

do people who say this even have bidets? you still have to wipe unless you want to walk around with a wet rear end

Just sit there until it dries, weirdo

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

Just sit there until it dries, weirdo
what? that would take ages. i've got things to do

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

butt dickus posted:

what? that would take ages. i've got things to do

Your bidet enabled toilet is already ergonomic and, unless you're a barbarian, connected to power for seat and water warming. Just install your posting station.

As a new bidet owner (it owns), is there a thread for rectal cleanliness?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my house was built in the '70s, my bidets are bolt-on ones i installed myself and there's no power nearby. i don't need a warm water or a seat anyway. if i spend extra time in the bathroom it's going to be a hot shower after a long day, not waiting for water to evaporate from my rear end

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
How do performers eat glass safely? I know sometimes it's trick glass or ice but I've seen a man eat real rear end glass in front of me and I'm shook.

e: Watched a nasty youtube video and it seems to be chewing and grinding the glass very finely

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 18, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

butt dickus posted:

If you have a bidet you don’t wipe, you pat.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Your bidet enabled toilet is already ergonomic and, unless you're a barbarian, connected to power for seat and water warming. Just install your posting station.

How much water are you spraying on your rear end that cold water matters?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having ice cold water laser beam into your rear end in a top hat can be a good way to wake up in the morning but it’s not always the most comfortable.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are Goth kids still a thing in American High Schools?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Kevin DuBrow posted:

How do performers eat glass safely? I know sometimes it's trick glass or ice but I've seen a man eat real rear end glass in front of me and I'm shook.

e: Watched a nasty youtube video and it seems to be chewing and grinding the glass very finely

That seems like a very bad idea considering that teeth have a Mohs hardness of 5 and normal glass has a hardness of 7. Is it a special glass made of something else?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the best way to clean up a really greasy stovetop? Any brands of cleaner that is particularly good for those things?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

What is the best way to clean up a really greasy stovetop? Any brands of cleaner that is particularly good for those things?

What kind of stove is it? The answer is gonna be a lot of hard work either way, but ceramic glass or whatever it's called of different from cast iron, which is different from a gas contraption.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BonHair posted:

What kind of stove is it? The answer is gonna be a lot of hard work either way, but ceramic glass or whatever it's called of different from cast iron, which is different from a gas contraption.

It's one of those built in gas stove tops with large cast iron grates. My FIL was able to get one for free for his place, but it needs some cleaning before use.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oven cleaner makes it really easy. (The strong stuff, which contains lye.) Wear gloves and watch out for the fumes though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I find that L.A.'s Totally Awesome Concentrated Cleaner is great on greasy stovetops or counters, non-abrasive so works for any type of stovetop (provided you use it with a soft rag or sponge and not, like, steel wool):
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/shop/all-purpose/awesome-all-purpose-concentrated-cleaner-24oz/

You should also be able to remove the grates and soak them in a diluted solution in the sink if those are particularly nasty.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I just got contacts for the first time in my life and this is my first day wearing them. Is it normal for my vision to go in and out of focus while I'm getting used to them?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just got contacts for the first time in my life and this is my first day wearing them. Is it normal for my vision to go in and out of focus while I'm getting used to them?

Yes. Also prepare for headaches for a couple of days.

Just in my experience. Not an optometrist or a doctor or any kind.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

that happened to me a lot at first but became more rare. i have astigmatism so i think the lenses were just rotated slightly, blinking a few times usually fixed it for me

also they spent time showing me how to put them in my eyes but not how to take them out, ended up taking me 20 minutes the first night. i never got any headaches

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

This can also happen if they are put in backwards / "inside out". That also used to cause a ton of pain but nowadays they're thin enough that it's not painful, they just never sit right. If they still are blinking out of focus after 5-10 minutes, take them out and make sure they're inserted correctly (you can find images online that show how to determine if the lens is inside out

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes, that's normal. If you can constantly feel them in your eyes today, that sensation will go away after a few days, too. (Your eyelids will develop a slight callus that will deaden the sensation.)

It's also normal for everyone to experience blurriness for the first 10-15 minutes of wearing contacts each day, because that's about how long they take to properly align and settle on your eyes.

And just for the record, you cannot permanently lose your lenses behind your eyeballs, due to the way your eyes are anatomically constructed. (This is most likely to happen if you rub your eyes while wearing contacts, so try to avoid doing that.) The lenses can indeed appear to slide behind your eyeballs (they're actually just getting stuck behind your upper eyelid), but they will eventually work their way out. You can usually help them along by using eyedrops and gently massaging your eyelids.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I used to wear contacts all the time but rarely bother now that I work from home. Now I find when I do put them in, my depth perception is strange for a bit until I get used to it again.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Bunch of contacts experts in here

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

This can also happen if they are put in backwards / "inside out". That also used to cause a ton of pain but nowadays they're thin enough that it's not painful, they just never sit right. If they still are blinking out of focus after 5-10 minutes, take them out and make sure they're inserted correctly (you can find images online that show how to determine if the lens is inside out

Yeah check this, it can be surprisingly subtle when they're inside out. But i think it's most likely acclimation time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yes, that's normal. If you can constantly feel them in your eyes today, that sensation will go away after a few days, too. (Your eyelids will develop a slight callus that will deaden the sensation.)

It's also normal for everyone to experience blurriness for the first 10-15 minutes of wearing contacts each day, because that's about how long they take to properly align and settle on your eyes.

And just for the record, you cannot permanently lose your lenses behind your eyeballs, due to the way your eyes are anatomically constructed. (This is most likely to happen if you rub your eyes while wearing contacts, so try to avoid doing that.) The lenses can indeed appear to slide behind your eyeballs (they're actually just getting stuck behind your upper eyelid), but they will eventually work their way out. You can usually help them along by using eyedrops and gently massaging your eyelids.

This sounds absolutely horrifying and I have no idea why people would rather go through this than wear glasses.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khizan posted:

This sounds absolutely horrifying and I have no idea why people would rather go through this than wear glasses.

I have pretty severe astigmatism which can only partially be corrected by regular glasses so I got contacts marked as "medically necessary" and 100% covered by insurance.

Normal contacts just have to be centered around the pupil, but for astigmatism the eye is slightly misshapen and off-from-spherical so the lenses to correct it aren't rotationally symmetric -- they only have one rotation that works, and the expensive ones are custom-made so the bottom is a bit heavier and they'll naturally align to the right rotation. Anyways I think the doc kept measuring the curvature of my eye wrong because the special $300 astigmatism contacts never quite fit my eyes right and would always go out of focus unless I manually poked my eyeball to rotate them a few degrees clockwise or counterclockwise or something. After a few cycles of going in, getting remeasured, getting new ones, and having the same problem, I kinda gave up.

I probably should have looked for a separate optometrist but I'm fine with wearing glasses and also super lazy

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Khizan posted:

It's really not that bad when it happens, and it's very rare

I choose contacts over glasses because my vision is bad enough that there is significant aberration (warping at the edges of my vision) when I wear glasses, not there with contacts. Apparently my brain would eventually adjust but it still is not a nice feeling. Also the fear that my glasses could slip off my face or get knocked off and i could be completely incapacitated, like can't even safely walk across the street. Contacts work way way better for me.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Khizan posted:

Honestly it was getting a vr headset that made me want contacts. Not to see the VR stuff better (I have inserts for that), but rather the narrow FOV made me hyper-aware of the area in my periphery I can't see when I'm wearing glasses and the appearance of the frames in my vision. I've been wearing glasses for ten years and never thought about it but now it's like when someone tells you your tongue is lying in your mouth wrong or you are now breathing manually. It messed with my brain in a way that isn't going away.

Now I beat my eyes all to poo poo taking the contacts out and my sclera look like a murder scene

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
How are glasses wearers dealing with masks? I don't normally need mine (just for driving) but when I do wear them with the mask they fog up like crazy. Different masks? Fancy hydrophobic film? "Cope"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I got a cloth mask with a bendable metal wire insert thing in the nose.
I usually have to gently caress with it for a while before getting it right but once it's settled right and in the right shape it won't fog my glasses up.

The old-fashioned surgeon's trick to stop your glasses from fogging up with a facemask on, from way before covid, is to just buy a roll of skin-safe medical tape and tape the region around your nose

Doesn't work so well if you plan on taking it off to eat and stuff though.

e: you can also buy anti-fog lens spray and spritz it on your glasses before you go out. I think my mom uses that.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 19, 2022