Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

*sigh* Clarret will never be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tifa's relationship with Cloud is way more unique because it turns out they weren't actually close at all and the big promise they both value so much was their first real conversation and ultimately something pretty meaningless that still ended up greatly influencing both of then.

The whole lifestream flashback thing is so great. One of the best scenes in all of Final Fantasy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It does seem like the Cloud/Tifa "Childhood friends become lovers" thing is pretty common in anime or manga at least? Of course there's Ron and Hermione in HP but it feels like the way your standard anime or manga goes about childhood friend romance is very distinct.

Now, FFVII was the first time I ever saw it. I think that's part of why I have gravitated more to Aerith over the years. Originally I was all for Team Tifa but these days I prefer Aerith because she's just more interesting and her relationship with Cloud is more unique.

It is extremely common in young adult fiction. It's worth remembering that most almost all JRPGs are young adult fiction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got the Mithuna & Mud Shot in FFXII:TZA and I seem to remember getting it much earlier in the original version of the game. I recall having them for a good portion of the game without needing to grind, am I remembering correctly? Like they were way too easy to get.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Tseng is a weird rear end creep in a way I didn't really pay attention to in the original and I really wanna kick his butt in a fight rather them him getting ganked but apparently not dying and just like being offscreen for the rest of game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He was better in Crisis Core

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the turks kill thousands of people dropping the sector 7 plate, kidnap and torture innocent people, stalk and kidnap aerith, and do nothing but bad poo poo for the entire game but at the same time the game also wants you to view them as quirky and loveable people and that somehow owns lol. ff7 ftw

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game is right they are quirky and loveable

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The game is right they are quirky and loveable

:hai:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Remember that time Reno gives Corneo a dialogue choice? So sweet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The real question is, do you fight them at the end or let them go?

You've forged this bond with them over the course of the game. I think the enmity is long gone between Cloud and friends and the Turks by the end of Disk 2. But while the hatred is gone, there is a rivalry of sorts, a matter of pride and honor to settle. But at the same time....Shinra is finished. The Turks just wanna chill out and our heroes have real evil to fight in the form of Hojo.

I wonder if FFVIIR will do anything with this. It's a tough choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I forgot about Lightning Returns is that there are multiple ways to complete quests. My personal favorite involves having to find a McGuffin so a guard lets you past. Unless you just attack the Guard, beat him up, and go right past him.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got the Mithuna & Mud Shot in FFXII:TZA and I seem to remember getting it much earlier in the original version of the game. I recall having them for a good portion of the game without needing to grind, am I remembering correctly? Like they were way too easy to get.

The Mithuna was added in the Zodiac version and wasn;t in the original game. You might be thinking of the Aldebaran?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

You've forged this bond with them over the course of the game. I think the enmity is long gone between Cloud and friends and the Turks by the end of Disk 2. But while the hatred is gone, there is a rivalry of sorts, a matter of pride and honor to settle. But at the same time....Shinra is finished. The Turks just wanna chill out and our heroes have real evil to fight in the form of Hojo.

i always fight them because they have valuable items to steal...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I let them go. They're my guys.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Draga posted:

The Mithuna was added in the Zodiac version and wasn;t in the original game. You might be thinking of the Aldebaran?

I guess that must be it. Why’d they have to gate Mud Shot behind a super difficult to obtain gun in the Zodiac version?!

Also I just got the Zodiac Spear & Escutcheon from the Hunt Club and I had no idea that shield was so good, holy poo poo.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I hope you get to make a truce with the Turks eventually and at the end Rude gives you a pair of sunglasses to remember him by.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I fight them because I wanna find out how Elena actually fights. Then reload because I like them and I am above consequence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I beat the poo poo out of them because they murdered an absolutely absurd amount of people.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i thhhinkkk i let em go cause they're not really into fighting by that point anyways?? its been like a While tho

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope they keep the bit where you can either let Elena lay Cloud out with one punch at Icicle Inn or have him dodge and she just falls down the hill until she's outta town.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i always fight them because they have valuable items to steal...

Exactly. Let them go and you're leaving money on the table. Plus there's the whole killing a ton of people thing, but honestly it's mostly the items.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If you're not prioritizing loot above all else, maybe RPGs aren't for you. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Role Playing? In MY Role Playing Games?!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII gave me unrealistic expectations by having somebody actually call me out for coming into their house and stealing their stuff.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
In the FF12 Struggle for Freedom mod, are you supposed to skip a bunch of hunts for way later? Even the beginning ones are tanky as hell. I skipped the wraith and cockatrice. I managed to kill the serpent by immobilizing it and shooting it. I'm guessing I probably need to recruit the other characters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

They killed so so many people. They can be as quirky as they want but they're still going in the ground.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

They killed so so many people. They can be as quirky as they want but they're still going in the ground.

But our heroes clearly don't want them in the ground and I think that's important. It's not talked about much since it's not a central theme like it is in say FFXII but FFVII is also about getting over vengeance. Barret is the most obvious about this but part of Cloud's major shift in personality is his leaving behind his quest for revenge. His obsession with settling the score with Sephiroth helped Sephiroth and once he has gotten himself together, he shows absolutely none of this bloodlust.

His final words to Sephiroth in FFVII are not "drat YOU TO HELL!!!!!" It's more like a toast, to two men settling their differences once and for all.

Our heroes don't want to just murder the Turks or even Sephiroth. There is no gain from fighting the Turks since they're not actively hurting anyone or planning on hurting anyone, and you don't even kill them if you do fight them. And our heroes don't confront Sephiroth because he killed Aerith but simply because they want to save lives.

I guess it comes down to that important distinction between doing good and fighting evil since they aren't the same thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

poe meater posted:

In the FF12 Struggle for Freedom mod, are you supposed to skip a bunch of hunts for way later? Even the beginning ones are tanky as hell. I skipped the wraith and cockatrice. I managed to kill the serpent by immobilizing it and shooting it. I'm guessing I probably need to recruit the other characters.

The original idea behind the hunts was that you’d try them and come back later if they were too difficult. TZA makes you a lot stronger than you would be originally, especially when you get your second job, and so hunts are able to be beaten a lot earlier. SFF rebalances everything and moves the needle back toward the original idea of trying a hunt, likely failing, and coming back.

IMO, TZA isn’t difficult by any stretch and is very very easy to trivialize.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

But our heroes clearly don't want them in the ground and I think that's important. It's not talked about much since it's not a central theme like it is in say FFXII but FFVII is also about getting over vengeance. Barret is the most obvious about this but part of Cloud's major shift in personality is his leaving behind his quest for revenge. His obsession with settling the score with Sephiroth helped Sephiroth and once he has gotten himself together, he shows absolutely none of this bloodlust.

His final words to Sephiroth in FFVII are not "drat YOU TO HELL!!!!!" It's more like a toast, to two men settling their differences once and for all.

Our heroes don't want to just murder the Turks or even Sephiroth. There is no gain from fighting the Turks since they're not actively hurting anyone or planning on hurting anyone, and you don't even kill them if you do fight them. And our heroes don't confront Sephiroth because he killed Aerith but simply because they want to save lives.

I guess it comes down to that important distinction between doing good and fighting evil since they aren't the same thing.

Honestly liked this read. Still gonna kill the Turks but I like this.

I really like FFVII

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Don't they just run away again when you lower their HP to 0 in the end of disc 2 fight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483191247036506112/photo/1

Deep pixel cleavage confirmed.

Spoiler it's Kefka.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume they are referring to the monsters/espers that are showing all the skin

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Chardanook, Siren, Goddess etc.

I fell off my FFV fiesta (BLU-SUM-BST-TIM) in the pixel remaster right before fork tower, I should go back and finish that. I was attempting to get every blue magic and lost interest after trying to find a sting ray for something like a half hour.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shabadu posted:

Chardanook, Siren, Goddess etc.

I fell off my FFV fiesta (BLU-SUM-BST-TIM) in the pixel remaster right before fork tower, I should go back and finish that. I was attempting to get every blue magic and lost interest after trying to find a sting ray for something like a half hour.

Yeah but once you get it hoo boy

Don’t be like me. I farmed the sting ray for a super long time and then did the time magic thing so I could steal a rune blade for some reason

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah for some reason I farmed 4 Dragon Whiskers from Sting Rays from my beastmasters. Don't do that.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

It's Sabin's side-boob

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ragequit posted:

It's Sabin's side-boob

All this talk about bears….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I can't believe they oiled up Sabin's boobs for the remaster.