Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

well this is weird. I didn't even google it and I browse on incognito.

:tinfoilhat:

Do you post on any other social media? I've always thought about how it'd be possible to link "anonymous" accounts to each other by comparing what content is posted when and comparing writing styles. I don't know if that's actually feasible though. Might or probably is too computationally intensive. I always think about the times that I'll comment on something here, then send the link to someone else with a similar comment, how easy it would be to link the two together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Wisest Moron posted:

Do you post on any other social media? I've always thought about how it'd be possible to link "anonymous" accounts to each other by comparing what content is posted when and comparing writing styles. I don't know if that's actually feasible though. Might or probably is too computationally intensive. I always think about the times that I'll comment on something here, then send the link to someone else with a similar comment, how easy it would be to link the two together.

I dont post much of anything these days outside of SA and making fun of morons on twitter. I have an insta and facebook account that exist but mostly just for browsing and rolling my eyes or looking at cool art.

I was just surprised at the yaupon because other than asking about it in this thread, there was no other posting or connection to it. I am googling to buy some just to see if I like the flavor before I go hog wild buying some seeds and container growing it just now that, that I know the panopticon is watching my interest in it >.>

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Wisest Moron posted:

it is absolutely feasible. in the future sociologists will literally link every one of your posts because probably everyones posts and ip records are stored somewhere and they'll all be correlated lol. people are already doing this with reddit accounts (tons of academics use reddit for research)

mostly it's just all correlated via cookies tho, you'll notice on those cookie disclaimers that one of the mandatory cookies is always "link online activities with offline content"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I dont post much of anything these days outside of SA and making fun of morons on twitter. I have an insta and facebook account that exist but mostly just for browsing and rolling my eyes or looking at cool art.

I was just surprised at the yaupon because other than asking about it in this thread, there was no other posting or connection to it. I am googling to buy some just to see if I like the flavor before I go hog wild buying some seeds and container growing it just now that, that I know the panopticon is watching my interest in it >.>

i think lots of people are just talking about it. white people "discover" it every few years.

also be sure to check out yerba mate which is more widely available; it's from south american and is also an ilex sp

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Wisest Moron posted:

You'll be remembered endlessmonotony, you beautiful doom posting cyborg.

But nobody will miss me as much as they'll miss their cup of coffee.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

mediaphage posted:

it is absolutely feasible. in the future sociologists will literally link every one of your posts because probably everyones posts and ip records are stored somewhere and they'll all be correlated lol. people are already doing this with reddit accounts (tons of academics use reddit for research)

mostly it's just all correlated via cookies tho, you'll notice on those cookie disclaimers that one of the mandatory cookies is always "link online activities with offline content"

in the future? there is already an AI that does this poo poo and determines if you're a terrorist or not.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mediaphage posted:

coffee doesn't poison people??

this guy doesn’t drink enough caffeine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

God Hole posted:

i have friends who had manageable weed habits for years that became full-blown dependencies when a dispensary opened near them and they no longer had to arrange a meetup with their creepy and/or unreliable dealer. when there's a starbucks next to another starbucks in every strip mall in america, dropping a minimally addictive substance like coffee can become a herculean task for some people.

caffeine is like oil in that when it finally becomes a scarcity for americans, they're going to find out the hard way that a pretty significant portion of their society is unsustainably propped up on it. has anyone ever done a study on how much of the average worker's productivity is attributable to their daily caffeine high, and what kind of effect that would have at the macro scale if it was just dropped one day? lol

I have a really stupid Jared Diamond level theory that things really changed when Europeans started drinking coffee instead of beer

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i think that's a real existing theory held by some academics

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mediaphage posted:

That piece of web tech was absolutely named correctly because I can never turn down a cookie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pissinthewind posted:

in the future? there is already an AI that does this poo poo and determines if you're a terrorist or not.

sort of. i mean obviously some organizations can do a lot of this now. i'm just thinking about the near medium future when a bunch of these companies all go bankrupt and their servers are absorbed or sold off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk about the europeans and coffee thing, i mean they'd been drinking tea for a hundred years at that point

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

I have a really stupid Jared Diamond level theory that things really changed when Europeans started drinking coffee instead of beer

Doesnt seem all that stupid honestly, given how hosed up poo poo got with capitalism and all that jazz soon after tea and coffee arrived.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

this guy doesn’t drink enough caffeine

lol i drink a lot of coffee, though i'm probably still somewhere along the median

coffee is generally just good for you, though it doesn't have to be caffeinated; a lot of the good stuff is in the decaf, too, mostly as plant phenols.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Doesnt seem all that stupid honestly, given how hosed up poo poo got with capitalism and all that jazz soon after tea and coffee arrived.

meh the dutch east india company was already coming together around this time and they were pretty terrible. it's not like we didn't already have a minimum of people with a maximum of power at the time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

extremely on brand that XR is funded by some hedge fund guy, no wonder they are so adamant about not criticizing capitalism

Also :lmao: at calling his one of the "world's top-performing hedge funds" when his fund gained 23.3% in a year where the S&P gained 28%

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hedge funds aren't really for outperforming the market (or at least not always), they're for growing money while minimizing exposure to market crashes. hence the term hedge fund

if they underperform the S&P on good years but still outperform the S&P on bad years, then they've done their job

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

hedge funds aren't really for outperforming the market (or at least not always), they're for growing money while minimizing exposure to market crashes. hence the term hedge fund

if they underperform the S&P on good years but still outperform the S&P on bad years, then they've done their job

This is working on the assumption that the stock market can have an entirely bad year, something that pretty much everyone now refuses to admit is even a remote possibility. The market will always go up and the federal government will immolate itself before allowing it to go down for more than a brief moment.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

edit - wrong thread

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Jan 18, 2022

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

smoobles posted:

I would think if capitalism demanded low coffee prices, we'd eventually see it produced in giant indoor farms

I know coffee plants are delicate and will die if you even look at them wrong, but if there's money involved titans of industry will prob figure it out, they'll knock down a few thousand acres of rainforest and put up some Bean Factories

tell that to the carolina parakeet, silphium, or Dhaka muslin

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

God Hole posted:

one time a few months back i was feeling hungry so i hopped on my bicycle to ride over a nearby sandwich shop (which has about 3 or 4 branches locally but isn't a big chain by any definition). i decided to do this, internally in my head, and said nothing out loud to indicate i was doing this because i was alone. i did not bring my phone with me and when i got there, i paid for my sandwich in cash.

when i got back home, i sat at the kitchen table and started eating. in the middle of my meal, i got a message from a friend on instagram so i picked up my phone to answer it. after i answered the message, i started absentmindedly scrolling my feed before being accosted by an advertisement for the tiny sandwich shop i was just at. my jaw dropped, i couldn't believe it. i started wracking my brain as to how the algorithm could possibly know i was just there before it finally hit me: i was holding my phone's front-facing camera over the sandwich wrapper which was plastered with tiny logos of the sandwich shop.

i double-checked my settings and no, instagram was not "allowed" to "access" my cameras lol

why do you think you were feeling hungry to go to that sub shop

you're just a simple easily suggestible ape my dude, i'm sorry

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Wisest Moron posted:

this is why i write like a idiot and spend a lot of time browsing online shops for random garbage, adding a bunch of weird poo poo to my cart then closing the tab

u get what u pay for and my info is cheap as heck

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

mediaphage posted:

idk about the europeans and coffee thing, i mean they'd been drinking tea for a hundred years at that point

The European lust for tea (and silk and spices and other Asian stuff) caused them to run out of silver which in turn caused the run on South American silver mines, the colonisation of the Americas and brutal treatment of American locals in general, and of course the crimes of the East India Company and other things of that nature. So while tea may or may not be responsible for climate change, it's certainly to blame for its share of crimes against humanity.

E: also responsible for Brits pushing Opium and hence indirectly all drug wars

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

every time I see or hear about animals caught in an oil spill or chemical spill it completely bums me the gently caress out. I think seeing footage of the Exxon Valdez spill back in the day has really traumatised me :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

i think lots of people are just talking about it. white people "discover" it every few years.

also be sure to check out yerba mate which is more widely available; it's from south american and is also an ilex sp

There’s also guayusa. It’s the third caffeinated holly in cultivation. It’s frost tender, so no competition to yaupon holly there. It makes a brew with a bit of a fruit flavor. The cost of the leaves falls somewhere between yaupon holly and yerba mate.

For yaupon, roasted leaves are traditional. It’s less common with yerba mate, but try it sometime if you haven’t. I like it better that way.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CAugustenborg/status/1483349886208774147?s=20

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life!

#blessed.

:suicide:

I woke up thinking about this today, thanks Rime

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Car Hater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5h0qHwNrHk

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Longtime doomthread posters may recall my before-times hobby of harassing local politicians and my congresscritters about what exactly they were going to do to prepare Michigan/the Great Lakes region for the collapse of industrial civilization. It is primary season once more, and though I stand no chance of beating Rashida, I am in the mood to run for congress.

My platform will be both primitivist and futurist - as a representative, my goal is to ensure that the maximum amount of federal dollars are diverted from dead places like Phoenix and Miami to be spent on the future capitol (and final containment zone) of humanity: Detroit. As a politician, my goal is to become president and utilize the unpatched day 0 exploit to launch the nukes and free all Americans from the shackles of wanting.

I need volunteers to help me collect signatures.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Car Hater posted:

Longtime doomthread posters may recall my before-times hobby of harassing local politicians and my congresscritters about what exactly they were going to do to prepare Michigan/the Great Lakes region for the collapse of industrial civilization. It is primary season once more, and though I stand no chance of beating Rashida, I am in the mood to run for congress.

My platform will be both primitivist and futurist - as a representative, my goal is to ensure that the maximum amount of federal dollars are diverted from dead places like Phoenix and Miami to be spent on the future capitol (and final containment zone) of humanity: Detroit. As a politician, my goal is to become president and utilize the unpatched day 0 exploit to launch the nukes and free all Americans from the shackles of wanting.

i'd vote for you if i was american

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Car Hater posted:

Yeah I think about this sometimes too, even more so because of that post. So many things are made of plastic.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

blatman posted:

i'd vote for you if i was american

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
we don't need empty promises

we need to die!!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
typical leftist doomers not understanding how politics works

first you need to do some grassroots nuking of your city/county then you can move on to nuking the state and eventually aspire to advocating for nuking the nation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Yeah I think about this sometimes too, even more so because of that post. So many things are made of plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1wB9uLG_Y

Try not to think so much about
The truly staggering amount
Of Oil
That it takes to make a record
All the shipping, the vinyl
The cellophane lining, the high gloss
The tape and the gear

Try not to become too consumed
With what's a criminal volume
Of Oil
That it takes to paint a portrait
The acrylic, the varnish
Aluminum tubes filled with latex
The solvents and dye

Let's just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose

Try not to dwell so much upon
How it won't be so very long
From now that they laugh at us for selling
A bunch of fifteen-year-olds made from dinosaur bones singing,
"Oh yeah"
Again and again
Right up to the end

Let's just call this what it is
The jealous side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose

I'll just call this what it is
My vanity gone wild with my crisis
One day this all will repeat
I sure hope they make something useful out of me

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Car Hater posted:

Hell yeah

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Car Hater posted:

Chemical pollution has passed safe limit for humanity, say scientists

quote:

She noted that “the total mass of plastics now exceeds the total mass of all living mammals.” “That to me is a pretty clear indication that we’ve crossed a boundary,” she said.

Outside the Safe Operating Space of the Planetary Boundary for Novel Entities

quote:

We conclude that humanity is currently operating outside the planetary boundary based on the weight-of-evidence for several of these control variables. The increasing rate of production and releases of larger volumes and higher numbers of novel entities with diverse risk potentials exceed societies’ ability to conduct safety related assessments and monitoring.

We recommend taking urgent action to reduce the harm associated with exceeding the boundary by reducing the production and releases of novel entities, noting that even so, the persistence of many novel entities and/or their associated effects will continue to pose a threat.

Rime has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Jan 18, 2022

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Car Hater posted:

i like this plan because as a detroiter it requires me to do nothing but keep posting

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/krvast/status/1483502589908074502

seems bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Please don't post the science misunderstanding alarmist in here. For reals, we've called this guy out as an idiot for like two years running.