Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo invented the perfect dpad decades ago and no longer has anything to prove and that is why they now make bad dpads now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If I own a game digitally and then buy a cart version will the switch track them as separate games?
There might be rare exceptions, but the majority of the time they're treated as the exact same game, even using the same save file.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Tetris Effect. 99 only offers 150 or 999 lines or something to that effect. Effect lets you choose speed, endless or not, and a whole bunch of other variables.

I would argue that the themes are slightly more fun in 99 since it’s franchises you know, and since it has a classic game boy one, but Effects themes are a loving trip and worth experiencing always with the sound on.

That said it’s 3 times the price of 99 so up to you. I think 99 has nothing on Effect which is the single best way to Tetris.

Thank you my little deku scrub. you will be protected here from now on. do not be anxious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Subnautica Update

I finally took my newly built Cyclops to the lava area, but I left it parked to explore around in the prawn suit and those little leeches sucked out most of the power. I probably should have made a few extra power cells before heading down there. I took out the remaining cells and stored them in the prawn so I could swap them out and get home, and went further into the lava area. Can't build a thermal plant until I get crystals that apparently only exist in the hot zone! Saw a sea dragon and nearly poo poo my pants. Got two crystals and made it back to my base just as I was about to die (glad I can eat gel sacs from the lost river for water)

Now I just have to figure out where the gently caress the plans for the digger/drill arm are

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hzj868Xivw

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mdemone posted:

Nobody told me that Katamari Damacy, in addition to being fun and stupid and addictive, is also frustrating as all hell

The controls are definitely not the easiest to figure out at first. Still, I only failed 3 levels once or twice. It helps the music is so amazing. Makes replaying a piece of cake.

Cavauro posted:

Thank you my little deku scrub. you will be protected here from now on. do not be anxious.

Anxious about all the good games on the Nintendo Switch.

Hope you enjoy Tetris however you want to go about it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't mean turning off the hard drop by pressing up altogether. In T99 they added a sensitivity option so that the up direction needs to be held for a couple of milliseconds to register. The lag is imperceptible even in high level play but it completely got rid of accidental hard drops for me with a cross d-pad, and when it was patched in I went from never winning because of misdrops in high pressure situations to consistently getting first place.

Unfortunately using joycons with the separated buttons isn't an option because they destroy my tendons when playing Tetris.

Does it have that option in there? T99 upped my game substantially and when I went back to PPT it was insane how many misdrops were happening despite ostensibly playing the same game. I have a hunch that the Pro Controller's reputation for having a bad d-pad is mainly due to the PPT demo not having any kind of debounce filtering with the inputs since I've never had those kinds of issues with wrong inputs in other games.

It doesn't seem to have that option looking at it now, but it does let you fully customize your controls so take your Tetris to the next level by assigning hard drop to a trigger! That would require some retraining but holy cow I bet that'd be some fast gameplay.

Great, but this is hardly an album. It's barely an EP.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 17, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Bloop posted:

Subnautica Update

Yeah I finally reached my good-enough point when I had me a big ol' Cyclops and recipes for a bunch of attachments for, but not the base version of, the Prawn Suit.

But I had me a grand ol' time and felt like I got to see at least 80% of what the game had to offer, so it gets top marks from me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It doesn't seem to have that option looking at it now, but it does let you fully customize your controls so take your Tetris to the next level by assigning hard drop to a trigger! That would require some retraining but holy cow I bet that'd be some fast gameplay.

Tried that already and my hand goes numb after a few games unfortunately. Thanks for checking though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah I finally reached my good-enough point when I had me a big ol' Cyclops and recipes for a bunch of attachments for, but not the base version of, the Prawn Suit.

But I had me a grand ol' time and felt like I got to see at least 80% of what the game had to offer, so it gets top marks from me.

You can get an entire Prawn suit in the Prawn suit bay of the Aurora

I don't really like piloting the cyclops but you basically need it to get deep enough I guess. Weird that the Seamoth gets crushed but you are just fine chilling at the deepest places lol

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Going through Quake remastered from the original 1996 campaign to the expansion released just last year was a fascinating trip through time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plenbo/g-case-the-ultimate-gaming-case-for-nintendo-switch-and-oled

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of cases, what's a good one? I'm thinking this looks decent for $20 but is there a better option for an inexpensive case?

https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-iVo...ps%2C107&sr=8-6

Edit: don't tell me to support the g-case. That thing is... silly.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 18, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of cases, what's a good one? I'm thinking this looks decent for $20 but is there a better option for an inexpensive case?

That looks decent and similar to the one I got. I got one that's a tad wider to support the Split Pad Pro but the design looks nearly identical otherwise.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nintendo invented the perfect dpad decades ago and no longer has anything to prove and that is why they now make bad dpads now

The pokken controller is secretly amazing in terms of dpads if you need it for retro games or whatever on switch. I got one on clearance at like, $7 ages ago. And then a few years later, the *twitch streamer community* found out from one guy that they were good for Mario Maker 2. And everyone bought them all. And they skyrocketed in price. I don't know what they cost now. But they're very good for $7.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Skull & Co Grip Case, still the best

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EvilJoven posted:

But the g-case does everything

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Literally all they have to do is recolor the case with the RX-78 scheme, and the Gundam fandom will go all in.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I got some 15% off code from Nintendo for my birthday. Does anyone know if this discount stacks with already discounted games? Not a big discount but looking around to see what I might as well get.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Bloop posted:

You can get an entire Prawn suit in the Prawn suit bay of the Aurora

So the internet said but I couldn't find all of it. Almost gave up on the game trying to get into the Aurora in the first place.

I'm notoriously bad at directions and something about the layout of those areas made them extremely difficult for me to locate, even when I'd been there before.

Strangely no trouble navigating the great blue sea. But I already loaned the game to a friend; I had my fun.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That G-Case thing looks pretty cool tbh.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It looks like part of a spaceship

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The controls are definitely not the easiest to figure out at first. Still, I only failed 3 levels once or twice. It helps the music is so amazing. Makes replaying a piece of cake.

It helps once you realize that the thumbsticks each control a single arm. I don't think they really point that out in the tutorial, but once that clicks you can go back to those early levels and just destroy your previous scores.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I finished Picross S7 last night minus the mega puzzles because I don’t like those as much and they’re the same shapes so doing them immediately loses a little impact if I remember a puzzle. I think the puzzle design in this one was the best yet, I feel like there were a lot of really devious smaller puzzles and the first two massive puzzles might be the hardest ones they’ve designed, but not in a really frustrating way.

And now I’m back to knockoffs. I discovered that Depixion had a Halloween pack. That game has a lot of really weird quirks (it’s three puzzles in a group that each have two color options that stack on each other to make a wide variety of color options, and all of the puzzles are based off of 4x4 chunks instead of 5x5) but the reward of watching the game put little gifs of how you solved the puzzles on top of each other to reveal the image is always fun. I also started a phone Picross which is fun but is so far piss-easy. No one can beat Jupiter.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Takoluka posted:

Literally all they have to do is recolor the case with the RX-78 scheme, and the Gundam fandom will go all in.

Once the G-Case is mass produced, we'll put an end to the console war in no time

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Tetrisphere on switch online when

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Shadow Man is now available on Switch, 20 bux
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadow-man-remastered-switch/

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

drat that goon who superglued cartidges to his 3DS was ahead of the curve

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at reverse engineering a shittier version of simply downloading the game and keeping the files safe on the inside of the computer’s brain. Why yes, let me tape the yolk to the outside of the egg’s shell, surely that will keep it safe!

Just buy a memory card, LOL!!!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Buying physical games.is cool cos I can sell them or lend them when I'm done.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“This game will be easy to get rid of later!” has never seemed like a selling point to me. I like accumulating a library of games, I don’t wanna be the goon sitting in my cave with a completely empty switch that has no games because I sold them all off “for value” to recoup the costs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When I die and am buried with all my games, a lucky tomb raider will be able to find my stash of games (and almost certainly be cursed by my vengeful spirit but that's unrelated). That's why I buy physical.

Or, you know, did buy physical before this loving pandemic made going outside a trial.

Though on PlayStation I share my digital library with a friend so it's easier to share games that way.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chas McGill posted:

Buying physical games.is cool cos I can sell them or lend them when I'm done.

This is what I do too. It's kind of weird to be telling a friend about some amazing game I want them to try, and then be like, "So yeah, go spend $60 of your money to see if you like it enough to buy it. Or wait until next holiday to get it for $49.99."

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm going to buy whatever version happens to be the cheapest at the moment. After that it depends on what kind of game it is, typically things I know I'm going to love are going to be digital.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hrist posted:

This is what I do too. It's kind of weird to be telling a friend about some amazing game I want them to try, and then be like, "So yeah, go spend $60 of your money to see if you like it enough to buy it. Or wait until next holiday to get it for $49.99."

All the best Switch games are $15-$20, nobody who owns a Switch needs someone to sell them on Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Me, watching Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft remove games from their digital stores, and then not offer them on their next consoles at all: "man, buying physical media is so dumb"

Me, unable to watch the original cuts of films because Disney+ and Prime and Netflix only offer censored or recut versions: "man, I sure am glad I don't have the blu ray with the boobs and swearing and the good ending. Wouldn't want to have my brain not calcified by end stage capitalism where I pay full price to not own something."

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I dunno if I would've played BotW if my coworker hadn't lent it to me. I'm going to eBay Metroid Dread when I'm finished with it and get Odyssey next.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Fortunately, since I bought physical I can simply insert my Wii U disks into the switch, unlike those fools who bought their Wii U games digitally.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snake Maze posted:

Fortunately, since I bought physical I can simply insert my Wii U disks into the switch, unlike those fools who bought their Wii U games digitally.

Hey man, my Wii U broke and I bought a used one. Let me borrow your digital copy of the game that's not on the eShop anymore.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Tetrisphere on switch online when

When the original DS came out it had local wireless multiplayer and an upgraded port of Mario 64.

All they had to do was make direct ports of N64 Smash Bros and Tetrisphere with wireless multiplayer and they would've had a successful handheld. Instead we have the doomed company you see today.

This may be their last chance for redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hey man, my Wii U broke and I bought a used one. Let me borrow your digital copy of the game that's not on the eShop anymore.

Oh, I can lend you the physical copy. Oh wait, sorry I lost the disc in the last move. Here's the box though.