Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive got the 568B down, but cant think of a good mnemonic for 568A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you know B, you just swap orange and green

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss forwards me the daily US-CERT email

"Do you think Qualys is detecting these?"

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

The Fool posted:

If you know B, you just swap orange and green

When your colour-blind like me its 'well thats green to me' and as long as the continuity cable tester is happy thats good enough for me ! Usually took me 2 or 3 crimps to get one that worked.

No I don't make cables anymore. I was only doing this for wiring up my own house and never again !

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Had a member of the sales team test positive for Omicron over the weekend. 2 more tested positive yesterday.

The remaining 5 all received positive results at some point yesterday evening. Our entire sales department is now one old lady at a remote site running off a 4G connection.

No problem, I managed to order 10 laptops back in 2020 before the first lockdown. They are all secured with only VPN access and a VoIP phone. I boxed them back up and stored them in the stationery cupboard.

Oh...you had a big cleanout of the stationery cupboard? Thats fine - where did you put the laptops? Oh...it was cleared out by the builders and they cannot remember where they put them?

Hope you enjoy treasure hunting!

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 18, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

"Oh man, 10 new laptops!" - builders

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I was supposed to go to Seattle this week for a work trip. It got canceled at the last minute.

I was going to watch playoff football on the flight there. Bought a book to read.

Then on Monday morning my co-worker 'had covid symptoms' so she didn't come in. She got a negative test around noon, but she can't come back in until she takes a second negative test within 4 days. So she can't come back until Thursday.

So in a way it works out that I'm not gone because she can't be here. But it sucks because we're moving a couple workstations, we have a couple new people starting this week, along with all the regular poo poo. I might have the MSP send over one of the guys that was here on-site every day before we hired our own helpdesk person.

Although, we are getting lunch catered from my favorite deli this week and I would have missed it if I was gone. Pastrami cures all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why are you kicking people of color?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would kick people too if they scheduled a meeting when it's clearly pastrami time.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

your fault for not reserving that time in your calendar every day for the rest of forever

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

your fault for not reserving that time in your calendar every day for the rest of forever

This is the way.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Pastrami On Cornbread sounds like a really weird sandwich but don't let me get in the way of your lunch

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Got my work cell phone. The last person to use it clearly used it for very personal purposes. Not just Facebook and CVS prescription-ready texts either, I got a "We never talk anymore 🥺"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Got my work cell phone. The last person to use it clearly used it for very personal purposes. Not just Facebook and CVS prescription-ready texts either, I got a "We never talk anymore 🥺"

From a mistress perhaps? lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Internet Explorer posted:

This is the way.

CIO did it for us. Also the entirety of Thursday afternoon for focus time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cage-free egghead posted:

From a mistress perhaps? lol

See if you can take over the relationship as well as the phone. Finders keepers, right?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

klosterdev posted:

At a previous company I got the phone that was used by the guy I replaced. Within a day I get a text: "u need sumthin? 🌿"

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MustardFacial posted:

At a previous company I got the phone that was used by the guy I replaced. Within a day I get a text: "u need sumthin? 🌿"

that’s just networking man

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

AND THAT'S HOW I MET MY WEED GUY

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I am really struggling with not caring at this job. As in, I know I need to not care but I'm struggling with disengaging enough to put in the minimum amount of effort and spend the rest of my time applying for jobs. I see a problem and I hear "well it's this way because the other way we can do it is too expensive" and my initial reaction is to try to figure out a way to make it cheaper rather than to realize that this level of penny-pinching will never stop sucking to deal with. I spend the majority of my time trying to fix broken incomplete software where they outright state basic features like "automatically runs on startup" are unsupported, and we're sticking with it because moving off of it would mean having to stand up VMs for the new solution (that we already use elsewhere) which would cost money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds about right. Those types of places are soul-crushing to work for. Although I will say, I have that same struggle these days at pretty much every job. That may just be the burnout / state of the world talking.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
:btroll:: *goes to software vendor's website, submits contact request* Hey software vendor, I need to buy an upgrade license and three new licenses for this software you sell. I know you have an order page in the website, but we are government and therefore need a quote on order to make this purchase. Here is my serial number for the upgrade license.

:patriot: :You can order the software on our website at this link *links to website I used to submit the request*
:btroll: : Yes, I know, but as part of our purchasing process, we need a quote.
:patriot: Here is the quote for an upgrade license you requested.
:btroll: : I actually need a quote for one upgrade license and three new licenses.
:patriot: : You only have one serial number, so you can only upgrade one copy. If you want three total copies, you will need to order one upgrade copy and two new copies. Upgrade copies are :20bux:, new copies are :20bux: :20bux:.
:btroll: : I get that upgrade copies are :20bux: and new copies are :20bux::20bux:. I need a quote for three new copies and one upgrade copy.

How the gently caress can it be this difficult? All this company does is sell software! How can they be this bad at it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most people just can't read. I realised today that a large part of my job consists of reading things that make perfect sense and then dumbing them down for people who earn more than me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

This is the way.

First thing I do is set my active hours in Outlook, then book an hour lunch at Noon as busy forever. gently caress your off hours meetings and unless you are catering me food, no lunchtime meetings.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't do that because 90% of the time I don't take a lunch. I have never really been able to switch off for lunch and then back on, so it's just another hour of thinking about work when I could be done an hour earlier and stop thinking about it for the night.

I ended up taking lunch today and going out and reminding myself of why I do this job, so I can keep living in this idyllic little town and make enough money to be in a good financial situation while I find the next job that puts me in a better financial situation.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That's a fair point and if you're more productive powering through 8 hours straight more power to ya. Just make sure you're blocking that last hour where you're not in.

I wish I could stop thinking about my job at 5 :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Take your lunch! It's a mini vacation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Take your lunch! It's a mini vacation.

I can relax on vacation, I can't mentally relax on lunch. Maybe I should be able to, but I can't. Taking lunch means it feels like I have been working 9 hours at the end of the day instead of 8.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I would rather skip lunch every single day just so I can spend one less hour being even remotely connected to work things.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I'm the same way. Lunch for me is time wasted that could be better spent leaving work 5 hours early on Friday.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lunch breaks are cool because i can vape in my car

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I wish I could stop thinking about my job at 5 :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY

Edited with correct link

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh my god. I could've used that peace of mind SO MUCH at my previous job. Is it bad that that sounds perfect to me?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

Was going to post this, but what I got was the the opposite.

Lots of “I need something! 🌿”.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Not pissing me off today - :yotj: I :yotj: GOT :yotj: A :yotj: NEW :yotj: JOB :yotj: !!!

Small State university, doing the parts of the job I actually liked from <PreviousJob>

Almost a 40% pay raise

Gonna miss my current WFH situation, but maybe I'll be able to shed some of my Covid bulk walking around campus

Not gonna miss the current crop of users I have to deal with

Definitely not gonna miss the Metrics-Centered culture that has grown lately at current job, nor will I miss the outsourced call center "analysts" they've started bringing in

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CollegeCop posted:

Not pissing me off today - :yotj: I :yotj: GOT :yotj: A :yotj: NEW :yotj: JOB :yotj: !!!

Congratulations! Thats a huge raise.

I try and do little things working from home to avoid that bulk but its amazing how few steps you get in even missing out on things like walking from the parking lot or around the hallways.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CollegeCop posted:

Hell yeah, that's a great thing to start off the new year!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Had a fun BOFH moment yesterday. One of my projects is vaulting privileged accounts into our PAM and then progressively setting them to rotate based on role. We started with highest privileged people like ourselves, are currently working on server and network equipment admins and service accounts, and will hit up individual application owners and helpdesk/call center folks at the end. EVERYONE with a privileged account gets periodic notifications about this, and we've sent out instructions multiple times.

Call Center: Takes call for access to a specific system. Escalated ticket (correctly) to that system's admin.

Application Admin: Two paragraphs of snark that's visible to the end user about how she hasn't been able to login to her application since last week because of "cyber-arc" and since she noone has worked her request for access to the PAM, she kicks the ticket back to the call center with "you guys figure out how to grant the user access"

Call Center: Routes ticket to deskside for some reason

Deskside: Puts "Please advice" (misspelling and all) in ticket and routes to our team.

I get the ticket, check the user in the PAM, see that she's vaulted but not protected and that her standard account login to CyberArk has access to manage her privileged account. Checked net user, her privileged account password is ~30 days old and still has the same on the clock before it expires. She's in the lowest tier for password rotation since the only permission assigned to her privileged account is an admin logon to her application for user management. We don't have a PAM access request, and it would be useless to submit one anyways because it's automatic for anyone with a privileged account, whether they're being rotated or not. So what's with the snark? If you need a password reset, login to CyberArk and use the tool to reset it, or just ask for one.

BOFH: "The password for privileged account <username> was last changed on <date> and is good until <date>. All privileged accounts have been loaded into the CyberArk vault but this account was not set to be rotated,. We have enabled password rotation for this account. The CyberArk service account will begin setting the password to a random string every 72 hours at 1am, beginning at 1am overnight tonight. Please see the attached instructions on logging in to CyberArk with your CAC card, and using the tool to force a reset on your password if needed. Also see the link below for creating a virtual smart card for your privileged account."

There have been endless complaints about how this is impeding people from doing their jobs and blah blah blah. Create a Virtual Smart Card for your privileged account and you'll almost never have to login to the PAM to pull your password. Lesson: Do not complain that the PAM is impeding you from doing your work, when the PAM is not touching your account. Else we will jump you to the front of the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I go home for lunch, let my dogs out and get to eat whatever I have in the house. If I stayed at work during my lunch I'd just wind up working so it's nice to completely disconnect for that hour.