Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
If she's feeding grain-free, which it seems like most of those Ziwi foods are, she should probably not do that. Or increase the pet fund/keep pet insurance for when her pets inevitably get dilated cardiomyopathy.

Maybe she should get just a good quality pet food and do 1/2 that and 1/2 her really expensive food, that would immediately cut her costs by a lot and give them less of a risk of getting heart disease. There's no cure for heart disease, there's just a long, slow decline.

Serephina posted:

edit: You could feed those cats fresh, raw meat, every day, for a fraction of the price. Kitty cat wants to go to town on a whole raw chicken? Let it! Cheaper than whatever the gently caress that food is.

Raw diets are gross, just spreading salmonella every drat where. I work in a specialty vet ER and we don't allow them in the building just because of that reason. But yes. You could feed a good quality pet food and then throw your pet some raw meat/organs/etc for less than the price of that food.

e: ugh, snipe. Look, I've seen lots of dogs and cats come in with sudden heart problems that are on grain-free diets and just loving sprinkle a good kibble in there if you want to feed them mostly grain-free, ok? They spent thousands of years running around with us, eating our trash and scraps and whatever they could catch. I think they'll be ok with some kibble ratio'd into your raw, organic diet.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I mean, I'm also the kind of idiot bougie cat owner that boards my cat at a "cat hotel" that allows you to order "room service" treats, and has the option of fuckin, themed suites and poo poo. It just makes me feel less guilty about leaving her.

Some people like spending stupid money on their pets? It's kinda dumb, and doesn't have any real benefit, but it makes some people happy?

E: empty sea, can you recommend good quality cat food/brands? Like, the vet always recommends that one absurdly expensive brand that's in every vet here, but if there's a step between that and "fussy cat grain free" or Purina/whiskas stuff I'd literally go buy some tomorrow, as it seems I'm going to the shops anyway to wean her off grain free food.

Yolo Swaggins Esq fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2022

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
When we first got our puppy I didn't want to feed her kibble, because "I wouldn't eat it, why should she?" After research and experimentation, I settled on oven roasted chicken thigh and 1/2 cup white rice cooked in chicken broth. The cost is low and cooking all the chicken at once for the week keeps the time down.

But... The vet discouraged this approach, pointing out that some nutrients are lacking from this diet, and suggested kibble anyway. I still give her chicken dinner as a sometimes food, maybe once every week or two, or in case she has tummy problems. If you try this, rinse the rise well, it bioaccumulates arsenic.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I mean, I'm also the kind of idiot bougie cat owner that boards my cat at a "cat hotel" that allows you to order "room service" treats, and has the option of fuckin, themed suites and poo poo. It just makes me feel less guilty about leaving her.

Some people like spending stupid money on their pets? It's kinda dumb, and doesn't have any real benefit, but it makes some people happy?

E: empty sea, can you recommend good quality cat food/brands? Like, the vet always recommends that one absurdly expensive brand that's in every vet here, but if there's a step between that and "fussy cat grain free" or Purina/whiskas stuff I'd literally go buy some tomorrow, as it seems I'm going to the shops anyway to wean her off grain free food.
If it has the option of loving for extra cash, it's more a cat brothel rather than a cat hotel right?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

erosion posted:

When we first got our puppy I didn't want to feed her kibble, because "I wouldn't eat it, why should she?" After research and experimentation, I settled on oven roasted chicken thigh and 1/2 cup white rice cooked in chicken broth. The cost is low and cooking all the chicken at once for the week keeps the time down.

But... The vet discouraged this approach, pointing out that some nutrients are lacking from this diet, and suggested kibble anyway. I still give her chicken dinner as a sometimes food, maybe once every week or two, or in case she has tummy problems. If you try this, rinse the rise well, it bioaccumulates arsenic.

Tired: buying into the 'pet food' scam
Wired: everyone in the household eats chicken and rice batch-cooked in the same bigass crock pot

Edit: also your cute dog looks a little skinny there. Needs more chicken, clearly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
pretty sure alot of nutrients are missing from my food habits as well

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

erosion posted:

When we first got our puppy I didn't want to feed her kibble, because "I wouldn't eat it, why should she?"

i feel like this is a bad criterion for dogs in particular unless you are going to eat poop and roadkill and literally anything small enough to fit in your mouth in solidarity

my brother's dog loved to eat acorns and they'd just come whole right out of her butt

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I've always thought it was weird how people get hung up on how they wouldn't eat dog food so their pets shouldn't either. You don't know what dog food tastes like to them. They might love that poo poo. It might taste like filet mignon to them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Man y'all are blind, the food was not the issue here, or even really the cost she says repeatedly that she can afford it easily on her own. The BF is just a douche who's going "beep boop, feeding animals cheap sawdust with no medical care will allow a house 0.0004% faster, this is most logical"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah he specifically used the line “you care more about your pets (that literally depend on you to keep them happy and fed) than you do about me (nominally an adult with the capacity to provide for themself),” which, rear end in a top hat. The fact that OP actually could achieve a more balanced pet budget with better nutritional value is kinda secondary.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I dunno $1600/month is pretty intense but also it's her money so?

Also I get this Blue Buffalo dry food that's like, mid-level luxury I guess? The regular kind, not the grain-free line they have. It's kibble but it's nicer kibble.

Yes they're carnivores but you have to remember they also get some nutrients and fiber/roughage from the stomachs of the things they eat. They eat a rabbit, they get the grass in its belly as well. This is why feeding them just chunks of meat and rice is not a balanced diet for them. You're thinking like a person, that you'd just want the best cuts and none of that offal. The offal is good for them!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tarkus posted:

May contain honey

This but the container is full of bees

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I make my cat food, and you can't just feed them meat, they need a certain amount of bone meal in their food and some other vitamins. There used to be cat food that just killed cats because it didn't have enough Lysine in it. That said, I like cooking food for my cats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Also I get this Blue Buffalo dry food that's like, mid-level luxury I guess? The regular kind, not the grain-free line they have. It's kibble but it's nicer kibble.

Yes they're carnivores but you have to remember they also get some nutrients and fiber/roughage from the stomachs of the things they eat. They eat a rabbit, they get the grass in its belly as well. This is why feeding them just chunks of meat and rice is not a balanced diet for them. You're thinking like a person, that you'd just want the best cuts and none of that offal. The offal is good for them!

It's a bit tricky since people aren't trained to have the same relationship with pet food as they do with their own. Also kinda funny since for much of history, pets would just be fed the same food as their owners in most of the world, I think the idea of 'pet food' is relatively new, though obviously varies by species. Even the cheapest animal food is formulated to be pretty comprehensive for their nutritional needs, and presumably tasty enough.

Does remind me of folks whose indoor dogs basically serve as living Roombas.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

There used to be cat food that just killed cats because it didn't have enough Lysine in it.

TIL cats were created for Jurassic Park

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

They're engaged, her and his money are going to be very different concepts for them soon. It's really hard to be long term partners without being able to come to a concensus on financial priorities, and it's damned near impossible if finances are combined.

I mean, yeah, she's not starving her children or risking homelessness with her budget. But nearly $20,000 a year to maintain a handful of animals? That's something they have to be on the same page on for the relationship to survive. She may choose the animals and that's her choice, and her fiance may leave her and that's his choice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

...Also ziwi makes their poo poo stink like orders of magnitude less. Which is invaluable, as cat bowels are full of evil stank demons.

This is absolutely a good reason. I buy non-fancy but name-brand wet food for my cat because the supermarket brands smell AWFUL (and seem to have gotten worse since Corona). I'll spend the extra 50p not to gag when I dish up his dinner.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I tried to get mine on this brand but he absolutely refused lol. It's kibbles and bits or nothing for him

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

kalel posted:

I tried to get mine on this brand but he absolutely refused lol. It's kibbles and bits or nothing for him

Our dog was kinda picky but he did really well with the salmon flavor taste of the wild which is about the same tier as blue buffalo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit tricky since people aren't trained to have the same relationship with pet food as they do with their own. Also kinda funny since for much of history, pets would just be fed the same food as their owners in most of the world, I think the idea of 'pet food' is relatively new, though obviously varies by species. Even the cheapest animal food is formulated to be pretty comprehensive for their nutritional needs, and presumably tasty enough.

If I fed my pet what I was eating then I'd have lost so many pets to "I'm sad this week" frozen pizza poisoning.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't all dogs, fed by dog food or not, essentially roombas? My friend's dog would lick their baby clean even

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Aren't all dogs, fed by dog food or not, essentially roombas? My friend's dog would lick their baby clean even

We may have different definitions of that word...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
As the parent of a toddler I guarantee that any child will be more sanitary after being licked by a dog than before. There is nothing in a dog's mouth that they haven't already smeared themselves with somehow.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I thought I spent a lot of money on dog food but lol not even close. It runs about $100/mo - Costco kibble supplemented with a high quality raw food.

Also grain free is poison.

If you’re buying kibble I can’t recommend Costco enough. They have a great track record with recalls and the ingredients don’t include any of the whacky alternative proteins you see from a lot of the boutique brands. And it’s $30 for 50lbs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

not the target but back when i had cats i fed them things like wellness:

https://www.petsmart.ca/featured-sh...al-5263724.html

there's a number of premium dry foods on the market now, and looking at the ingredients will give you an idea of their quality. i definitely spent more on their food than my own when i was single and living alone. my sister constantly complained that her cats were dry and scratchy and my cats were super silky with luxurious fur and i was always like stop feeding them loving meow mix

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Also grain free is poison.

?????

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Grain free foods cause cardiomyopathy in dogs. It happened to our dog and thankfully we caught it early enough to switch - her heart murmur went away, but yea it’s bad.

The conventional wisdom for bougie pet food right now is a high quality kibble (with grain) supplemented with low carbohydrate raw as a topper.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Grain free foods cause cardiomyopathy in dogs. It happened to our dog and thankfully we caught it early enough to switch - her heart murmur went away, but yea it’s bad.

The conventional wisdom for bougie pet food right now is a high quality kibble (with grain) supplemented with low carbohydrate raw as a topper.

ah yeah, there's a suspected link in dogs but none in cats (which i thought we were still talking about sorry). it's also possible that the grain-free diets are not actually problematic because they're grain free, but because they use a lot of another ingredient or something

edit: im no vet but i'm betting there's some either compound in the other ingredients they're using that's an issue, or some nutrient that is poorly understand and absent. it doesn't seem to be specifically a lack of grains that causes it. gotta be scary to think about tho for dog owners.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 18, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

mediaphage posted:

ah yeah, there's a suspected link in dogs but none in cats (which i thought we were still talking about sorry). it's also possible that the grain-free diets are not actually problematic because they're grain free, but because they use a lot of another ingredient, or potentially lack taurine (which is thought to have a hand to play in the development of canine dcm

Yea is it the exotic additives they put in? The lack of taurine? The lack of carbs? The general unregulated state of the pet food industry?

But if you’re looking for a good kibble I can’t recommend Kirkland enough.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i remember ages and ages ago reading that cats can't eat dog food exclusively because dog food doesn't have taurine in it and cats go blind if they don't get enough taurine

my next question: Monster has taurine in it, right? could you dump a can of Monster over a bowl of dog food and make it cat-approved? :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

i remember ages and ages ago reading that cats can't eat dog food exclusively because dog food doesn't have taurine in it and cats go blind if they don't get enough taurine

my next question: Monster has taurine in it, right? could you dump a can of Monster over a bowl of dog food and make it cat-approved? :v:

lol

i edited my post because i found this good blog entry, and she addresses taurine

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/dcm-update/

a vet posted:

It’s not just grain-free.
This does not appear to be just an issue with grain-free diets. I am calling the suspected diets, “BEG” diets – boutique companies, exotic ingredients, or grain-free diets. The apparent link between BEG diets and DCM may be due to ingredients used to replace grains in grain-free diets, such as lentils or chickpeas, but also may be due to other common ingredients commonly found in BEG diets, such as exotic meats, vegetables, and fruits. In addition, not all pet food manufacturers have the same level of nutritional expertise and quality control, and this variability could introduce potential issues with some products.

Most dogs being diagnosed with DCM do not have low taurine levels.
Some owners continue to feed a BEG diet but supplement taurine thinking that this will reduce their risk for heart disease. In our hospital, we currently measure taurine in all dogs with DCM, but more than 90% of our patients with DCM in which taurine has been measured have normal levels (and the majority are eating BEG diets). Yet some of these dogs with DCM and normal taurine levels improve when their diets are changed. This suggests that there’s something else playing a role in most cases – either a deficiency of a different nutrient or even a toxicity that may be associated with BEG diets. Giving taurine is unlikely to prevent DCM unless your dog has taurine deficiency. And given the lack of quality control for dietary supplements, you can introduce new risks to your dog if you give a supplement without evidence that she needs it.

Raw diets and homemade diets are not safe alternatives.
Out of concern, some owners are switching from BEG diets to a raw or home-cooked diet. However, we have diagnosed DCM in dogs eating these diets too. And raw and home-cooked diets increase your dog’s risk for many other health problems. So, forego the raw or home-cooked diets and stick with a commercial pet food made by a well-established manufacturer that contains common ingredients, including grains. If your dog requires a home-prepared diet for a medical condition or you feel strongly about feeding one, I strongly recommend you consult with a Board-Certified Veterinary Nutritionist® (acvn.org). However, because home-cooked diets are not tested for safety and nutritional adequacy like good quality commercial diets, deficiencies could still develop.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I serve my cats ground up mice and insects with a bit of grass as god intended.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah he specifically used the line “you care more about your pets (that literally depend on you to keep them happy and fed) than you do about me (nominally an adult with the capacity to provide for themself),” which, rear end in a top hat. The fact that OP actually could achieve a more balanced pet budget with better nutritional value is kinda secondary.

It sounds like only one dog came with her into the relationship and all the others were acquired together. And if you read between the lines, he likes pets but is maybe getting shut out on how to actually care for them. The OP has taken on the bulk of responsibility but also complains about his lack of involvement? Maybe you should have tested the waters with just a single animal before upgrading to a zoo. And if you did have an idea on how your partner would be, then you got into this mess yourself.

Pet food blows. I have to buy prescription diet because one boy gives himself crystals. And now he’s most likely having an allergic reaction so we have to find a different prescription diet.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My wife is a fad dieter and loves trying to feed our dog raw chicken thighs and hog feet.

I successfully kept her from changing the cat food to raw and the dog eats Purina pro plan.

They get wet food as a supplement because the little cat is a light eater but she'll cut a bitch for wetfood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My wife is a fad dieter and loves trying to feed our dog raw chicken thighs and hog feet.

I successfully kept her from changing the cat food to raw and the dog eats Purina pro plan.

They get wet food as a supplement because the little cat is a light eater but she'll cut a bitch for wetfood.

I mean as long as they also have the pet food, various animal bits seem entirely within natural and healthy dog diets.

I used to give the dogs my corn cobs as chew toys.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not cutting costs to be able to afford a house with my fiancé and 'choosing my pets over him'?
It's killing me that out of everything here they're cutting the health insurance. One of the pets is going to have a bad but fixable fall or eat something stupid and he's going to talk her into putting it down.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 18, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Years ago we fed our dogs a true raw diet and it was a huge pain - but they lived to 22, 18 and 17.

But you need s chest freezer for necks and backs and frozen whole fish etc

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what is the maximum amount you would spend to heal a pet and how much do you tip the vet?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean as long as they also have the pet food, various animal bits seem entirely within natural and healthy dog diets.

I used to give the dogs my corn cobs as chew toys.
Our dog loves carrots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

what is the maximum amount you would spend to heal a pet and how much do you tip the vet?
I have paid to have a chicken x-rayed and would do it again in a heartbeat so there's your upper bar I suppose.