Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I am hoping, perhaps naively, that even the bravest of Are Boys might hesitate before machinegunning a refugee boat full of kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

Tell me more.

Seriously, I want to sort out mould on some seals before I move out.
I just got some of this with an open mind that it might be some as seen on tv bullshit, but it actually worked better than anything else I'd tried to date, just with two or three applications a few days apart.

It has an unfortunate weird bleach smell though :gonk:

I also got one of those things that Big Clive reviewed that makes hypochlorite bleach in situ from table salt, that's good for a quick surface spray and wipedown to keep it clean after using the gel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5kcER2Z4-8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I am hoping, perhaps naively, that even the bravest of Are Boys might hesitate before machinegunning a refugee boat full of kids

But remember, all it takes is one unhinged maniac for things to go wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SixYXWZtLmc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Why? Soldiers love following orders as if it's a defence we haven't ruled out about 70 years ago.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If there's one thing British soldiers love more than anything else, it's shooting unarmed civilians.

Which they do safe in the knowledge that they'll be protected from prosecution, and lauded as heroes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

Tell me more.

Seriously, I want to sort out mould on some seals before I move out.

I find the black mould sprays such as cillit bang work fine - after cleaning the bath/shower and drying the area, spray it and leave overnight. Scrub off in the morning. If it's heavily stained, repeat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Convex posted:

The maddest part about that film is how the main villain is defeated when he is tricked into letting his mask slip and says the quiet part outloud. And then the people turn on him because they were okay with the facisim when it was disguised.

Then you got Trump who you didn't have to employ any great subterfuge to get to admit to the bad stuff. And instead a bunch of Republicans would come on TV to say "actually shooting unarmed people is cool and good."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Much like Steve Bannon's unwashed degenerate gambler wearing multiple dress shirts look. Some people are just too smart and important to waste their time with petty human concerns like getting dressed and not looking like reheated shite.

I say this fully in the knowledge that I haven't washed my jeans for over a month now and have slept in my shirt.

I admire the self-awareness to go "I look like poo poo in anything I wear so why loving bother?"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Great mould chat! Thanks everyone, have some shopping to do.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Convex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VHtuqXZQeo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This makes me feel old but but I also enjoyed it. BBC's Ros Atkins used to be a raver/ d&b dj. He did a mix for 6 music.

*Air Horn*

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1483185091643944961

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/abi1005/status/1483170186702340097?t=m5Pg7kVJgUvhoxvMPTPGFA&s=19

And they wonder why they are hated.

Prole fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 18, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cummings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53j38iqPqYc

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

The maddest part about that film is how the main villain is defeated when he is tricked into letting his mask slip and says the quiet part outloud. And then the people turn on him because they were okay with the facisim when it was disguised.

Then you got Trump who you didn't have to employ any great subterfuge to get to admit to the bad stuff. And instead a bunch of Republicans would come on TV to say "actually shooting unarmed people is cool and good."

I don't know, i could see the show returning the next week with another host that hadn't just been smashed into a wall at 5000mph. The audience seemed to be happier to see a hero winning the show than anything it represented in the real world

Edit: I'll concede that anything feels uplifting if underscored with this, however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNnqaSkMz0

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 18, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

Why? Soldiers love following orders as if it's a defence we haven't ruled out about 70 years ago.

I think the culture of the army means squaddies are often reactionary pieces of poo poo but I don't think many of them are actual SS candidates.

Or perhaps naive optimism, lol

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

I use the Dettol Mold & Mildew spay, nothing fancy but it does the job for me.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I had some of that along a silicone seam in my kitchen, I ended up getting that hypochlorite gel that you leave on for 4 hours and it works much better than anything else that I tried

Why were you masturbating in the kitchen?

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1483321790168702978

OAP bus pass is an acceptable form of ID, student rail card or student pass isn't.

Feeling depressed today, its just one torrent of poo poo after another.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

1965917 posted:

OAP bus pass is an acceptable form of ID, student rail card or student pass isn't.

Having to pin your hopes on a bunch of unelected ‘lords’ to stop the UK becoming irredeemably fascist is loving grim.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1965917 posted:

drat, anarchists are going to have to get another line as they've invalidated "if voting changed anything they'd make it illegal"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the culture of the army means squaddies are often reactionary pieces of poo poo but I don't think many of them are actual SS candidates.

Or perhaps naive optimism, lol

It doesn't even have to go that far. The order just needs to come down from someone with sufficient rank to stop border crossings 'by any viable means' or some other vague bullshit that ONE officer interperts as 'it's okay to shoot' and I guarantee you that 99% of squaddies won't disobey a direct order to shoot a migrant boat. A load of them being reactionary shits might event think it's a laugh because shooting boats is much easier than a pleading person at close range and seeing the aftermath.

Anyway nothing I've seen of any army has convinced me so far that the majority of squaddies aren't reactionary idiots who will shoot at someone based on a vague order or worse, because of racism and some misguided notion that's how they protect their country.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just to make a final point from a few pages back: maybe Leninists and Anarchists can’t work together when the Glorious Revolution comes but on the stuff that’s actually happening like opposing the police and crime bill, defending refugee rights etc, they should be able to. People act as if the student Leninists you see at marches are going throw you in the gulag the second Priti Patel stops trying to drown migrants. Anyway don’t mean to continue this as thread’s moved on but didn’t want to just disappear mid-conversation.

I smoked a lot of weed last night for the first time in a month or so. It was good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Are they saying the army or the navy are going to be shooting the dinghies? Seems to me a navy person is less likely to be a broken nutter and prepared to machine gun children as they get fired back at and blown up less often than army grunts.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

1965917 posted:

quote:

In this rule a “specified document” means any of the following

documents (in whatever form issued to the holder and regardless
of any expiry date) that contain a photograph of the holder—
(a) a United Kingdom passport (see paragraph (1I));
(b) a passport issued by an EEA state or a Commonwealth
country;
(c) a licence to drive a motor vehicle granted under—
(i) Part 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, or
(ii) the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (SI
1981/154 (N.I. 1));
(d) a driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands,
the Isle of Man or an EEA state;
(e) a biometric immigration document issued in accordance
with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act
2007;
(f) an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards
Scheme hologram (a PASS card);
(g) a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card);
(h) any of the following concessionary travel passes—
(i) one funded by the Government of the United
Kingdom, the Scottish Government or the Welsh
Government;
(ii) an Oyster 60+ card;
(iii) a Freedom Pass;

(i) any of the following concessionary travel passes issued
under the Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme—
(i) a Senior SmartPass;
(ii) a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s
SmartPass;
(iii) a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled
SmartPass;
(iv) a 60+ SmartPass;
(v) a Half Fare SmartPass;
(j) a badge of a form prescribed under section 21 of the
Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 or section
14 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons (Northern
Ireland) Act 1978 (blue badge scheme);
(k) an electoral identity document issued under section 13BD
(electoral identity document: Great Britain);
(l) an anonymous elector’s document issued under section
13BE (anonymous elector’s document: Great Britain) the
holder of which has an anonymous entry at the time of
the application for a ballot paper;
(m) an electoral identity card issued under section 13C
(electoral identity card: Northern Ireland);
(n) a national identity card issued by an EEA state.

Relevant part bolded. Unless the student railcard/passes are governement funded?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are they saying the army or the navy are going to be shooting the dinghies? Seems to me a navy person is less likely to be a broken nutter and prepared to machine gun children as they get fired back at and blown up less often than army grunts.

I live near enough to one of the UK's main naval bases to say: oh yes they absolutely are just as broken as any given squaddie.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Just to make a final point from a few pages back: maybe Leninists and Anarchists can’t work together when the Glorious Revolution comes but on the stuff that’s actually happening like opposing the police and crime bill, defending refugee rights etc, they should be able to. People act as if the student Leninists you see at marches are going throw you in the gulag the second Priti Patel stops trying to drown migrants. Anyway don’t mean to continue this as thread’s moved on but didn’t want to just disappear mid-conversation.

I smoked a lot of weed last night for the first time in a month or so. It was good.

Anarchists and MLists routinely do work together at protests and on pickets.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Goes without saying maybe but make sure where you're spraying whatever you buy is well ventilated. That poo poo is no joke if you breathe too much in.

I have a problem in that my mold issue is in a box shower off the master bedroom with no ventilation except for a fan, so the bleach/toilet paper trick (which is incredibly effective) basically nearly kills us.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

What the gently caress is a "Freedom Pass"?

e: googled it

So over 60/66 can vote for free but literally everyone else has to pay to vote?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

Tories know their base.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yep, it's always been about disenfranchisement and putting a thumb on the scales. loving disgraceful, but hardly surprising.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

jiggerypokery posted:

Supposedly councils will make a free voter card available for those without a suitable form of ID. But given how quick councils are to shut down services as soon as there's limited staff/funding and how hard they are to contact? Yes, pay to vote basically.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

Goes without saying maybe but make sure where you're spraying whatever you buy is well ventilated. That poo poo is no joke if you breathe too much in.

I have a problem in that my mold issue is in a box shower off the master bedroom with no ventilation except for a fan, so the bleach/toilet paper trick (which is incredibly effective) basically nearly kills us.

Especially because the mould tends to grow in places precisely because they're not well ventilated. Ventilate your houses dudes, open a dang window

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Jippa posted:

This makes me feel old but but I also enjoyed it. BBC's Ros Atkins used to be a raver/ d&b dj. He did a mix for 6 music.

*Air Horn*

https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status/1483185091643944961

this owns

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Boris looking like a wounded stag in his pool interview. Looks like he knows it could be terminal

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Fingers crossed the lords will slap it down again. They dun good yesterday.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Also there's nothing to say leninists by definition have to end up gulaging anarchists. I think the historical problem has usually been the perception, sometimes justified, that anarchist elements in newly established communist countries have threatened to put the whole project at risk by playing directly into the hands of counter-revolutionaries. If you're at a crisis point, in the midst of a civil war and directly under siege by the forces of capital, nothing is going to get everyone killed faster than idealistic anti-authoritarianism. There's a reason there have been basically zero successful anarchist 'states' (I know, I know, but for lack of a better term). I see zero reason why a compromise wouldn't theoretically be possible once things settled down, but it would require good faith work from both sides and, most importantly, would require that anarchists accepted some form of central authority at least during the transitional phase.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

...but it would require good faith work from both sides...

Ah yes, that thing people are famously able to do.

And this is why i drink.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mebh posted:

Ah yes, that thing people are famously able to do.

And this is why i drink.

Oh hey I'm not saying it's likely, just theoretically not impossible

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Taking a trip down memory lane with this old Boris article from Jeremy Vine (full version here: https://web.archive.org/web/20211208073453/https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/my-boris-johnson-story)

quote:

'SHEEP,' he began. He started a story about his uncle’s farm and how OUTRAGEOUS it was that they couldn’t bury animals that had JUST died, as they used to do back in the sixties, seventies and eighties. No, he said, EU regulations meant an abattoir had to be involved. 'One died today. A SHEEP. And my uncle had to RING a fellow at an abattoir fifty MILES away. His name was Mick – no, it was Jim – no, sorry, MARGARET, that was it, MARGARET...”

People were now, not just roaring with laughter, but listening. He continued.

'Which is why my political hero is the Mayor from JAWS.'

Laughter.

'Yes. Because he KEPT THE BEACHES OPEN.'

More guffawing around me. He spoke as if every sentence had only just occurred to him, and each new thought came as a surprise.

'Yes, he REPUDIATED, he FORESWORE and he ABROGATED all these silly regulations on health and safety and declared that the people should SWIM! SWIM!'

More uproar.

'Now, I accept,' he went on in an uncertain tone, 'that as a result some small children were eaten by a shark. But how much more pleasure did the MAJORITY get from those beaches as a result of the boldness of the Mayor in Jaws?'

Brilliant. The whole room is hooting and cheering. It no longer matters that Boris has no script, no plan, no idea of what event he is attending, and that he seems to be taking the whole thing off the top of his head.

I realise that I am in the presence of genius.

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh, fun ADHD update. I finally got a share agreement with the NHS for continuity prescriptions last year, but went off the lisdexamfetamine from November as the crashes were utterly horrific.

I held off contacting my private doc as its 200 quid a pop for a 15 minute consult but caved right before Christmas and paid out of pocket to be put back on the lowest dose of methylphenidate at 10mg which does gently caress all, but at least doesn't make me want to literally kill myself.

Had another consult yesterday evening so I thought I'd ring up the NHS autism center during the day that I've been on the waiting list for 8 months for and see how they're doing. I found out that 8 months is the projected wait they had for a diagnosis, but for medication its 12 to 24 loving months. I skipped the diagnosis wait by paying for private, but I'm just stuck here for the next year in limbo.

In the private consult in the evening i got told the max they're legally allowed to increase my dosage by is 10mg per month and the max daily dosage is 100mg which based on my tolerance is likely what I'll need. So to get the med dosage to where it needs to be I'm going to have to pay for medication out of pocket each time AND for at least 9 more consults so... Yay near 3 grand.

I hate how lovely mental health care is here.