Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rocket Bomb + Cluster Bomb hammers + Zeus Attack boon is Hades on easy mode

Loved watching everything just disintegrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Just cross-posting this from the GBS Hades thread in case anyone is interested.

Bad Purchase posted:

PSA: Tomorrow (Friday) around 10:30 PM Eastern the AGDQ speedrun marathon on twitch.tv will have two people doing a live Hades race. The name of the speedrun category is "All weapons". I don't know for sure what that means, but I assume each player will be beating the game with all 6 weapon as fast as possible. Should be fun to watch.

You can check the schedule tomorrow evening if you're interested -- sometimes start times shift around a bit since it's a live event that runs 24/7 all week.
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I’m not involved in the speed running community but I’m pretty sure that just means any weapon as opposed to a specific weapon

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

I’m not involved in the speed running community but I’m pretty sure that just means any weapon as opposed to a specific weapon

The estimated time is 2 hours, so they're definitely beating it more than once. Even that seems too long for 6 runs (I'm not a speedrunner, and even I can pretty consistently hit 15 min or less with any weapon, although that's the in game time, not wall time). But yeah, no idea what the actual rules are.

Edit: Found this https://www.speedrun.com/hades#All_Weapons

quote:

ALL WEAPONS RULES

Achieve a series of 6 victories, with each victory using a different weapon. Weapons can be used in any order.

Must be a single and continuous series of runs. No quit-outs (Alt-F4s, give-ups, quits or crashes) mid-run.

Show the previous run's death (or a run completion with the death) at the start of the video.

Time starts as soon as you can move after falling out of the window, and ends the instant the final boss of the last weapon run dies.

Any Mirror, Weapon/Aspect or starting Keepsake can be used. You are encouraged to unlock all of these, but it is not necessary.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 14, 2022

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
According to speedrun.com, it's six consecutive victories, each with a different weapon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would have to be, otherwise a race would be pure RNG and whoever gets the easier seed will win. This way you even the odds.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

In game time is a lot shorter than real time in Hades and also the time difference between just beating the game with the max time limit Heat and a speedrun isn't actually that different anyways. A lot of speedrunning this game is just getting good luck with fast rooms/non combat rooms.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bust Rodd posted:

It would have to be, otherwise a race would be pure RNG and whoever gets the easier seed will win. This way you even the odds.

Could just do pre generated seeds if it’s on computer. I’d be more interested in an all weapons speed run if it was from a new game start

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's a link to the vod, they did use mods for the races to even the RNG and the players are already at the pact of punishment level so they'll already have defences and raised difficulties. By the end of the run they're at EM4 and wailing on Hades at ridiculous strength but that's an effect of the game not the adjustments IMO. The fact that both runners were doing all this with controllers was very impressive to me.

edit: also there appears to be a "penalty box" mod to death defiance so instead of ultimate death, a racer has to wait for a time-out which is counted-down in front of everybody. Oh and they nerfed the Saytr Sack to always be behind the 2nd door :rolleyes:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ewe2 posted:

Oh and they nerfed the Saytr Sack to always be behind the 2nd door :rolleyes:
This is the single biggest RNG element in the speedrun, so it makes a lot of sense that if you're going to make a racing mod, you fix the RNG for it in some way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ewe2 posted:

Here's a link to the vod, they did use mods for the races to even the RNG and the players are already at the pact of punishment level so they'll already have defences and raised difficulties. By the end of the run they're at EM4 and wailing on Hades at ridiculous strength but that's an effect of the game not the adjustments IMO. The fact that both runners were doing all this with controllers was very impressive to me.

edit: also there appears to be a "penalty box" mod to death defiance so instead of ultimate death, a racer has to wait for a time-out which is counted-down in front of everybody. Oh and they nerfed the Saytr Sack to always be behind the 2nd door :rolleyes:

A speed run of a mod that alters the RNG kind of defeats the whole purpose of the event in the first place, IMO. I understand its a different category, but this feels way less like something I want to watch now

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

A speed run of a mod that alters the RNG kind of defeats the whole purpose of the event in the first place, IMO. I understand its a different category, but this feels way less like something I want to watch now

It was still a good run. And, it's a race, not an exhibition. Doing some RNG control is hardly defeats the purpose.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

AlternateNu posted:

It was still a good run. And, it's a race, not an exhibition. Doing some RNG control is hardly defeats the purpose.

I checked out the speedrunning modpack they use, its an opt-in modular configurable thing that clearly says "modded game" in the top right corner. It does make sense for regularizing runs and races, speedrunning is not the same as casual gaming.

It would have been better however if the commentators had explained the modpack for the race clearly at the beginning instead of throwing in clues during the race, that just confused me and de-legitimized the idea.

But still, go watch the race keeping in mind that it's within speedrunning parameters. The game hasn't been nerfed except to present the same options to both players but I believe the doors and shops are still under their own RNG. Dialog cutscenes and Thanatos are kept out and other annoyances like hellmode can be toggled off. There is also a separate colourblind mod which was actually necessary for one of the racers in the run, and pretty cool, that's an accessibility improvement that should be in a lot of games.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ewe2 posted:

There is also a separate colourblind mod which was actually necessary for one of the racers in the run, and pretty cool, that's an accessibility improvement that should be in a lot of games.

I'm kinda curious to check that out now. I'm colorblind and a lot of game UIs give me problems. I never noticed an issue with Hades, but maybe there are some status effect and enemy cues I've been missing out on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

I'm kinda curious to check that out now. I'm colorblind and a lot of game UIs give me problems. I never noticed an issue with Hades, but maybe there are some status effect and enemy cues I've been missing out on.

Here's the guide to installation of the mod, I hope that works for you!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This whole time i had no idea what a DUO meant or how to even get one. Lol

I sold all my keys for nectar and didn't realize i needed keys for more mirror abilities. And i avoid Hermes pretty much every chance i get.

Still managed to beat a run with the sword and leech ability. I just never stopped smashin

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

i avoid Hermes pretty much every chance i get.

The +dash boon from Hermes is basically the most powerful boon in the game, even if it’s only +1. Just sayin.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
So Ive heard. But im a man of morals. I am committed to only doing chain lighting attacks and hangover

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So Ive heard. But im a man of morals. I am committed to only doing chain lighting attacks and hangover

:hai:

I'm always falling for crit and reflect.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I like pairing Artemis and Aphrodite’s boons on most weapons/aspects. used to be Ares/Athena and I still use that for shield. Dio’s call almost always. I do like to get Athena’s dash most runs if I can swing it

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm always falling for crit and reflect.

Why should I care about +1 dash if my dashes don't knock away shots (Athena) or enemies (Poseidon)?

On a related note, are any of the other dash boons worth using? Artemis seems like she'd be ok with most weapons, but the rail dash-strike is just the rail normal attack with less mobility after the dash.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

Why should I care about +1 dash if my dashes don't knock away shots (Athena) or enemies (Poseidon)?

dodging attacks

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Walker posted:

On a related note, are any of the other dash boons worth using? Artemis seems like she'd be ok with most weapons, but the rail dash-strike is just the rail normal attack with less mobility after the dash.

If you use the mirror talent that grants you +40% damage against targets that are under two status effects, and you have only one status effect on your attack/special/cast, it can be very worth it to take Demeter's or Dionysus' dashes.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

indigi posted:

dodging attacks

Dash strike +DMG bonuses too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how long until the sleepy styx watcher person decides I can give them ambrosia?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bowmore posted:

Hypno? Kind of depends, have you gotten an autograph yet?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hypno? Kind of depends, have you gotten an autograph yet?
yes and yes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bowmore posted:

They need to have a certain number of conversations with their brother, who will praise them for their improving work ethic. So it might take a while.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

bowmore posted:

Take damage early in your run (Thanatos won't show up until you take damage), then best Thanatos in his challenge, in order to make him show up at home post-run so he can talk to Hypnos enough.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's crazy how addictive this game is. I have all achievements but one, max ranked all my keepsakes and companions, maxed out all relations, and I'm in the process of maxing all the weapons. But there's still so much to do, like decorating the House, catching more fish to complete the Codex, caving in the face of the so called Champion of Elysium a few... dozen more times, unlocking all songs, etc. It really helps that the sessions are so short, about 40 minutes if you count talking with everybody after a run. And I can only redecorate the House of Hades when dad is in attendance, otherwise I would miss a sarcastic quip! But I'm doing one or two runs each day, and it really ads up. It's also as engaging and exciting as the first few runs, it's an amazing game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
You know you're having a poo poo run when you get to the pool of purging after tartarus and you only have 2 boons you can purge because you only have 2 boons.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is frame rate ever an issue with this game? I've got a 4-year old PC running 1440p, so I wouldn't think think there would be a problem, but controls seem a little sluggish when there's multiple blade rifts and lightning bolts going at once.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Baby Proof posted:

Is frame rate ever an issue with this game? I've got a 4-year old PC running 1440p, so I wouldn't think think there would be a problem, but controls seem a little sluggish when there's multiple blade rifts and lightning bolts going at once.

That's a bit odd. I'm running a 1050 and I'm a ok.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
What a game. I put 100 hours into this and could play 100 more.

I know I'm way late to the party, but everyone should give this a go.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Krime posted:

What a game. I put 100 hours into this and could play 100 more.

I know I'm way late to the party, but everyone should give this a go.

I just did my 80th run.

Feels like I've played more than that, but man, agreed.

What a game.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I just did my 80th run.

Feels like I've played more than that, but man, agreed.

What a game.

I bought it for Playstation and then got it a bit cheaper on a Steam sale... I missed the return window for Amazon and I ain't even mad in the slightest. Supergiant earned my double purchase haha

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I wish there was a story only new game plus or something. I want to revisit it all but gently caress earning everything again

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
There’s a cheat mod on the nexus that will let you add anything you want. Darkness, gems, even boons during a run. It’s fun to screw around with.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

CFox posted:

There’s a cheat mod on the nexus that will let you add anything you want. Darkness, gems, even boons during a run. It’s fun to screw around with.

Can you add a gimp mask for Bouldy?

I'm a man of refined tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Switch, as is proper :colbert:

I may one day get it on PC, not anytime soon thougb