Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kastein posted:

nor in the temp range where everything hurts ten times as bad if you smack your hand with a wrench.

Or when it’s cold enough and you smack your hand and go “poo poo. That’s gonna hurt when it warms up”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

Based on that it would have happened last Saturday.

Good loving God it's been raining forever. At least I can now definitively state that the RV roof no longer leaks.

Wrenching in rain doesn't really bother me much, I can get an ez-up. I just never want to wrench in snow again, nor in the temp range where everything hurts ten times as bad if you smack your hand with a wrench.

well, in the 5 years I've been here, we've had 3 foot snows two of those years...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

kastein posted:

So I haven't posted this pic here yet and you're drat right I'm gonna toot my own horn about this rad piece of junk making it cross country without stranding me despite it having less than 300 miles on everything I installed (basically "all of it except for the front axle, springs, steering box, and brake booster") and having never been more than 25 miles from home before.

Now I just need to replace the rest of it and it'll be perfect.

Late to this news but this fuckin' rocks. Congrats on the successful work being done so far and the luck that it didn't catastrophically fail in an unexpected way.
How was the noise in the cab?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Between the 3" catless exhaust, complete lack of carpet, sound dampening, vapor barrier on the doors, or door cards or functional door seals, the brow on the cab, and, well, basically everything else, it was easily the loudest piece of poo poo I've ever driven aside from the 5 ton. I'd rate it somewhere between "bicycle at 50mph downhill" and "re-entering the atmosphere on the space shuttle". I'm fairly certain it hastened my already bad wide spectrum hearing loss, my tinnitus has been off the hook since then. Whoops. I wish I'd realized how harsh it was going to be, would have either packed earplugs or spent more time on reducing NVH before leaving. The downsides of only putting 150-200ish miles on a vehicle in 25 mile increments before taking it out on the highway for a 3000 mile hell march...

Doccers posted:

well, in the 5 years I've been here, we've had 3 foot snows two of those years...

Yeah but how long did they stick around? I don't mind the world ending for a few days and not having to go to work, but I'm loving tired of snow regularly being on the ground from anywhere in December through sometime in March or even April and having to get my rear end to work in it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Between the 3" catless exhaust, complete lack of carpet, sound dampening, vapor barrier on the doors, or door cards or functional door seals, the brow on the cab, and, well, basically everything else, it was easily the loudest piece of poo poo I've ever driven aside from the 5 ton. I'd rate it somewhere between "bicycle at 50mph downhill" and "re-entering the atmosphere on the space shuttle". I'm fairly certain it hastened my already bad wide spectrum hearing loss, my tinnitus has been off the hook since then. Whoops. I wish I'd realized how harsh it was going to be, would have either packed earplugs or spent more time on reducing NVH before leaving. The downsides of only putting 150-200ish miles on a vehicle in 25 mile increments before taking it out on the highway for a 3000 mile hell march...

yikes, dude. i cant handle the high pitched wind noise in my old vehicles that are mostly complete, i can imagine how bad that was. definitely get in the habit of keeping stashes of earplugs around if you're going to continue driving it on the freeway. does it still have an ashtray?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I've been considering taking it out to add charge ports though because I don't smoke and it's so gross I wouldn't want to put earplugs in it.

Honestly, I'm probably not going to go over 50 in it for more than half hour at a time for the rest of its life, so I'm not super worried about noise now. Once I've finished the build I'll probably put carpet and door cards back in and replace the door gaskets.

I just remembered another source of noise, too... There was a tarp wrapped around the front and top of the trailer. That poo poo was flapping in the wind at 70-85mph for 3.5 days straight. A few inches actually frayed off the trailing edges. I should have tied it down better.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Doccers posted:

To be fair, we had a stupid amount of snow this year in Texas.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

Yeah but how long did they stick around? I don't mind the world ending for a few days and not having to go to work, but I'm loving tired of snow regularly being on the ground from anywhere in December through sometime in March or even April and having to get my rear end to work in it.

True, only lasted for a week at max then back to rain.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I finally headed over to BJ's off-road in GH and picked up new door locks for the Honcho. It's weird having door keys for this thing and being able to lock the doors...

It was very obvious I'd arrived at the correct address.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I finally headed over to BJ's off-road in GH and picked up new door locks for the Honcho. It's weird having door keys for this thing and being able to lock the doors...

I need to take pictures next time I go to my Jeep guy. He had a loving awesome Forward Control there last time, in addition to all the other exotic stuff he always has kicking around.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Man FCs are just so drat expensive. They're made out of 100% NLA and $texas parts. I like them but they're so crazy cost wise that... I'll just admire them from afar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

Man FCs are just so drat expensive. They're made out of 100% NLA and $texas parts. I like them but they're so crazy cost wise that... I'll just admire them from afar.

I think it’s the second or maybe third FC I’ve actually seen in person. Jeeps down here trend towards the 24” wheeled mall-crawling variety, sadly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I can't stop laughing at that drop hitch.

MrYenko posted:

I think it’s the second or maybe third FC I’ve actually seen in person. Jeeps down here trend towards the 24” wheeled mall-crawling variety, sadly.

My next door neighbor for the first decade or so I lived at my current home had a fair number of old Jeeps, including several flat-fenders, a round-headlight Wagoneer (actually a Cherokee, I think) and, just before he moved out, a Forward Control pickup. First one I'd seen in person, I think. One of the flat-fenders had an artic cab on it, and a kerosene heater (I think - may have been gasoline), which was interesting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I can't stop laughing at that drop hitch.

Do my balls hang low: ✅

Do they waggle to and fro: ❎

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
:lol:

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

kastein posted:

. I wish I'd realized how harsh it was going to be, would have either packed earplugs or spent more time on reducing NVH before leaving. ...

I wear earplug if its over an hour in my JKU, I can't imagine the racket in this thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I am trying to find axleshaft donors for the fullfloat rear 60 in the Honcho that are the correct length (or can be cut down slightly and still have enough spline to not bottom out) and 35 spline so I can put my rear lunchbox locker in, but the Dana Spicer expert website has sadly been taken offline since last time I looked so it's an uphill struggle.

I need:
- 8 bolt full float pattern, not semi float
- flange has 3-31/32" 3.969" bolt circle (I don't make this poo poo up, yes they made it that instead of just making it 4")
- 35 spline inner end

Length for one shaft: ideally 34.24" but anywhere from 34" to 34.5" should be usable

Length for the other: ideally 37.64" but anywhere from like, 37.375" to 37.875" should be usable

Ideally, donors will be very common vehicles found in junkyards. Full size vans and pickups with factory equipment would be ideal.

I can buy aftermarket cut-to-length ones, yes, and eventually I will... But blowing 450 dollars on axleshafts is absolutely not in my budget right now. So I'm hoping to find them in the yard for $42 each instead.

I've found a few possible part numbers (36113-7, 36113-8, 36113-18, 36113-27, and 35091-4, plus a handful I forgot to write down) that fit a variety of donors I don't have access to locally, but nothing that's in stock.

Suggestions welcome.

E: I was wrong on the short side, Dana says it's 34.92"

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 29, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Your requirements are pretty specific, It seems to me, your best bet is going to be a mid 70s-mid80s Ford one ton truck/van, maybe even motorhome, and even then there's variance within the years.

Around here there are a couple guys that have fields of specific trucks. there's a first gen ram guy and an anything ford guy. I don't know if there is anybody like that around you.

Anything newer than ~1990 seems to use the dana 70u which is 32 spline.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, that's about what I came up with too. A few years of f350 and a few years of e350 and related cab and chassis vehicles. drat it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's really all I'm finding too.

Your best bet is to get some custom shafts cut.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Edit: Comprehension. You know about cut-to-fit shafts.

You might come out ahead to just find a common 35 spline axle and swap it.

Edit 2: How different is the pattern on 14 bolt and 10.25 axles?

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 23, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

14b and Sterling axles appear to use a 45 degree pressure angle involute spline instead of the 30 degree ones Dana Spicer prefers unfortunately. My info says 08ish f250 rear shafts are a perfect match other than that, which makes them not fit at all. :sigh:

This axle is considered rather desirable among one ton Jeep builders specifically because it's got the spindles bored large enough to clear 35spl shafts from the factory despite using 32 spline shafts normally. It has a Dana 60 heavy smooth center casting (slides over rocks easier but still strong) but it's otherwise all Dana 70 grade and has factory massive discs on it. If it weren't for these stupid loving 32 spline shafts it came with and my current cash strapped status it would be perfect. Eventually when I have the budget to properly build the axles it'll get a selectable locker and cut to length chromos but that's totally not in budget right now.

I'm kind of tempted to swipe the 30 spline auto locker out of the original rear 60 from it and see if I can find someone to EDM them out to 32 spline, assuming it's enough of a diameter change that the roots of the 30 spline hole pattern won't interfere with the crests of the 32 spline pattern.

I called several yards I found on car-part today. One wanted 85 dollars plus 75 shipping for one shaft I need, the other wanted 45 plus 75 shipping. Allegedly oversize ups shipping is insane right now though I feel like I'm being bullshitted on that because the shipping quote on the chromos is 36 for both and they're longer. Whatever the reason, those prices definitely aren't happening, I would just buy chromos for another 150 bucks and have a warranty if I wanted to spend that kind of cash.

I'm going to do a little more digging and see if I can find anyone with one of these old e350 donors rotting in their backyard. I'm sure there's a million of them around here providing moldy mossy semi-waterproof storage, it's just a matter of finding them and not getting shot by hillbillies while asking if I can buy parts off them for beer money. I literally drove by one in Belfair today on my way back from getting our booster shots but it looked like it was being driven regularly.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

What locker? I know some are capable of having the sides swapped out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not sure, some variety of lunchbox auto locker. I also have an Eaton e locker for it (don't buy those.). None of them have 32 spline side gears available, I've looked. Which is weird because Ford used a lot of 32 spline shafts in the 90s.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Is the Honcho auto or manual transmission?

If auto, I wouldn’t install a lunchbox. Involuntary lane changes on sweeping uphill curves suck - at least with a manual you can plan for it and let off briefly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Manual.

I actually have a lunchbox in both ends of my daily driver MJ, which is an auto, and haven't had any issues really. You need to know it's there before driving it but I've had lunchbox lockers in one end or another of several Jeeps since 2011.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Waking the axle shaft discussion back up because I've got more info now. I dug through the XGI catalog and all ten X510 catalogs, the northerndrivetrain online catalog, and Google and found some things out.

What I needed:
1.50" 35 spline 30 degree involute
Full float
8 bolt 3.96" flange pattern
34.92 and 37.64 lengths

Knowledge that may be useful to others eventually:
Any shaft part number starting with 43965, 35953, or 38378 is 30 spline and thus useless to me. There are other prefixes but I stopped writing them down.
Any shaft part number starting with 43811 is 32 spline, I have the -16 and -17 ones from the factory.
Any shaft part number starting with 36113, 35091, 36166, 46930, or 45553 is 35 spline full float and has the correct flange bolt circle.
Any shaft part number starting with 42442, 43286, 41100, 36453, 36625, 52033, 706746, 706846, 70867, 71017, 71667, or 84489 is either semi float or the wrong pattern, some may be the wrong spline count as well.

What I was left with after going through literally 1200 pages of PDFs:

36113-18 is 37.91", mostly 80-85 f350 drw with rear 70s. Right hand shaft.

35091-17 is 37.83", 78-84 Dodge 300 and 400 class vans and cutaways. Right hand shaft.

36118-8 is 37.47", mostly 74-86 e350s, motorhomes, buses, and package vans. Mostly right hand but it's the left hand shaft on a few of them. This is the ideal donor for my long side.

36113-5 is 37.42", '75 e350 dually motorhomes vans and package vans. Very little chance I'll find one of these.

36113-27 is 37.4", and fits a wild variety of e350 and related vehicles (motorhomes, delivery, dealer special order, blah blah blah) right from 87 through 08. Right hand shaft. This is probably a great option for my long side if I can't find the 74-86 ones.

35091-28 is 37.31", not a very good fit but I'm listing it anyways just because it's hilarious how short the donor list is: it is used on 2 different axle BOM numbers used exclusively in Dodge full-size vehicles special built for the Israeli airforce from 1985 through 1990.5.

And now the short side:

36113-1 is 35.05", 75.5 through 85 F350s (and U-Hauls built on them along with a few mid 82 through 83 E350s because why the gently caress not) with a few F250 custom cabs in the early years as well. I can use either side. This is probably the ideal short side donor.

36113-21 is 34.85", fits a few weird 83.5 to 85 F350s. Left hand side. Good fit but unlikely to find a donor.

35091-29 is 34.24", fits 87-90.5 Dodge D series 200-700 class. Both sides. It's quite a bit shorter than I need but might work if I can't find anything else.

None of these are exclusive - Ford really loved using a zillion axles with a zillion different BOMs and shaft sizes and changing what they did halfway through nearly every year because why the gently caress not. It's been a severe pain in my rear end. Most of the years seem to have come with anything from a 60 semi float to an 80 fullfloat DRW rear and anywhere from 30 to 32 or 35 spline shafts depending on the phase of the moon and who happened to have won Wheel of Fortune that night. So a vehicle appearing on my condensed list does not mean it has what I need. It does mean I'm interested in seeing the BOM tag however, because I have written down a full list of NINETY FIVE different families of BOM numbers that I can use as possible donors, so at this point it's easier to just look at the tag and check my notes spreadsheet and then the X510 catalogs before pulling the shaft and measuring it.

I guess I'm hitting the junkyards and asking around to find out if any of my townspeople have a rotten RV they're selling parts from as soon as this snow melts off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The town Facebook groups were completely loving useless, everyone ignored the question I asked ("I want to buy axle shafts from your busted trucks and vans meeting this description") and answered the question they thought I should have asked ("hey dude you should go to the junkyard or check car-part dot com") even though I said I was going to do that next in my post. I don't know why I expected any different.

The junkyards were also completely useless (every car-part yard either wanted triple shipping rates plus a crazy price, or said they didn't have it when the website said they did, or just straight up didn't answer the phone or email, or told me I had to buy the whole axle for $450 to get a $30 shaft out of it) so I guess that settles that, no one wants to/is mentally competent enough to sell what I need so I'm waiting till I've got the budget to buy the chromo shafts I should be buying anyways.

drat it, that was a complete waste of my time.

Anyways I've been daily driving it and I'm a little surprised how drama free it has been. I need to drive somewhere? I get in, turn the key, and drive it. It still has that misfire because I've been super lazy about actually troubleshooting and repairing it, but it runs and drives pretty well even so.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

If you can find a junkyard that is not absolute poo poo I will come visit every other weekend.

I see videos on the internet of all these awesome places with ‘all you can carry’ days, or that have coffee and donuts…Those have not been my experiences. The last time I had anything resembling a good experience in a legal junkyard was, oh, 2004.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm going to seriously miss my old haunts at Sam's pull-a-part (Worcester MA) and the pick n pull chain yards in Rhode Island. Those places were great.

The pick n pull chain yards out here are great too, just don't have what I need in this case. Let me know on your next Seattle trip and we can do a full Puget Sound junkyard crawl.

Full service yards blow rear end (as Sharky said years ago I think, the price list seems to depend on what they think you have in your pocket) and I'll always hate them. Their info is bad, organization is worse, their service is universally provided by surly filthy grizzled antivaxxers, their prices are nearly universally loving insane, and just in general I only go there if I have literally no other choice.

kastein fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I'm going to seriously miss my old haunts at Sam's pull-a-part (Worcester MA) and the pick n pull chain yards in Rhode Island. Those places were great.

The pick n pull chain yards out here are great too, just don't have what I need in this case. Let me know on your next Seattle trip and we can do a full Puget Sound junkyard crawl.

Full service yards blow rear end (as Sharky said years ago I think, the price list seems to depend on what they think you have in your pocket) and I'll always hate them. Their info is bad, organization is worse, their service is universally provided by surly filthy grizzled antivaxxers, their prices are nearly universally loving insane, and just in general I only go there if I have literally no other choice.

Yup. I miss the yards in Pennsylvania and upstate NY. An honest price list, $5 admission, and no bullshit. Of course, this was before LKQ had every drunk and meth head stripping everything for cores. Full service yards value their parts at 10%n of the value of the car +/- the number of Bud Lights they had the night before * however many teeth or are on their ratchet / by teeth in their heads.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

Careful, that kind of invitation already has me checking when the next $100 round-trip flights are.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love my pull a pet even though it is 80 miles away (hometown so I visit often anyways). I paid $10 for a vip membership at least 12 years ago and they haven’t charged me to get in since. I’m usually just getting trim or small pieces so half the time they charge me for one thing and just say you are good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sharky, yeah, the core buyers are screwing up my parts availability a bit but less than you'd expect. For some reason around Central mass they love Jeep factory axles, certain brake calipers, brake boosters, abs valve bodies, and GM 6.0s. only the last one bothers me at all. The rest haven't affected me even once.

Advent Horizon posted:

Careful, that kind of invitation already has me checking when the next $100 round-trip flights are.

My next round is likely to be:
Poulsbo Yank A Part
Almac auto wrecking
Skagit Farrell's auto wrecking
Arlington pick n pull
360 auto recycling
Snohomish All About Auto
Lynnwood pick n pull
Lakewood pick n pull
Tumwater pick n pull
Shelton auto parts
All West coast auto salvage
Horseshoe auto wrecking (they're the ones I described in my last post, though they did just sell me a Comanche tailgate for a quarter of market value, it's a real mixed bag...)

Don't know exactly which ones I'll hit but those are all on the list and I've only visited 3 of them within the last year.

I may hit a few in the next few days but otherwise it'll have to be after my next east coast trip since I'm headed back to rust land by weekend most likely.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 18, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

everdave posted:

Love my pull a pet

It's my favorite place to get a cat.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

StormDrain posted:

It's my favorite place to get a cat.

Junkyard dawg, obviously

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I haven't been to the local Pick N Pull since they computerized and decided every little part had to be paid for. Rather than an intake manifold for a second-gen RX-7, they wanted to charge me for the lower manifold, the upper manifold, and the plenum, tripling the price to $90 - 10 years ago. I told them they could keep it and never went back. I found other local yards that were more accomodating, like what everdave is talking about. They look over the pile, charge for the largest items, and tack on $5 for "misc".
I do miss every car being up on the two welded wheels jackstands so you can get under them without asking for the forklift, though.
I need to go hit up one of my favorite yards to see if I can get a new rear axle for the Crown Vic. I waited long enough that the FB Marketplace one was sold.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

And as a bonus they dont know poo poo about what they're selling. Theres a 4WD specific wrecker near me thats shocking for that. A good example is alternators for landcruisers. If you have the 105 series, it comes with the 1HZ diesel, which is worth about $2K on a good day. If you've got a 100, you've got the 1HD-FTE diesel, which is worth $20K with 300K on it. So If i go to the wreckers asking for an alternator for my 100 series, they'll ask $300 for one. If I go to them and ask for an alternator for a 1HZ 105 series, they'll want $140 for it.

They're the same loving part number from Toyota. Toyota just fitted the same 120A alternator to both the 100 and 105 diesels.

loving muppets.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Darchangel posted:

I haven't been to the local Pick N Pull since they computerized and decided every little part had to be paid for. Rather than an intake manifold for a second-gen RX-7, they wanted to charge me for the lower manifold, the upper manifold, and the plenum, tripling the price to $90 - 10 years ago. I told them they could keep it and never went back. I found other local yards that were more accomodating, like what everdave is talking about. They look over the pile, charge for the largest items, and tack on $5 for "misc".
I do miss every car being up on the two welded wheels jackstands so you can get under them without asking for the forklift, though.
I need to go hit up one of my favorite yards to see if I can get a new rear axle for the Crown Vic. I waited long enough that the FB Marketplace one was sold.

LKQ around here now makes you note the vehicle you got the part from and will ask you for the information before checking you out. Oh and now they offer a warranty on every part, that you have to tell them you DON'T want or they automatically tack it on when you check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Veeb0rg posted:

LKQ around here now makes you note the vehicle you got the part from and will ask you for the information before checking you out. Oh and now they offer a warranty on every part, that you have to tell them you DON'T want or they automatically tack it on when you check out.

Yankapart does all of that but the warranty, but they also quoted me 250 dollars for a rear axle assembly and said they wouldn't sell just shafts so I haven't actually gotten as far as buying anything there yet