Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's all sorts of concerns I know I should have about consolidation, but I can't help but be incredibly excited about the possibilities for all the Blizzard IPs that they've neglected and poo poo on for the past however many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Official Post

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if BLOPS2 goes to gamepass… it’s over

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1483431175041347584?s=21

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

quote:

Welcoming the Incredible Teams and Legendary Franchises of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming
by Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming • Jan 18, 2022 @ 5:25am
Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Click to share on Email (Opens in new window)
Creators of Call of Duty, Warcraft, Candy Crush, Tony Hawk, Diablo, Overwatch, Spyro, Hearthstone, Guitar Hero, Crash Bandicoot, StarCraft and more join Team Xbox
As a team, we are on a mission to extend the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. We all know that gaming is the most vibrant and dynamic form of entertainment worldwide and we’ve experienced the power of social connection and friendship that gaming makes possible.

As we pursue that mission, it is incredibly exciting to announce that Microsoft has agreed to acquire Activision Blizzard.

Over many decades, the studios and teams that make up Activision Blizzard have earned vast wellsprings of joy and respect from billions of people all over the world. We are incredibly excited to have the chance to work with the amazing, talented, dedicated people across Activision Publishing, Blizzard Entertainment, Beenox, Demonware, Digital Legends, High Moon Studios, Infinity Ward, King, Major League Gaming, Radical Entertainment, Raven Software, Sledgehammer Games, Toys for Bob, Treyarch and every team across Activision Blizzard.

Until this transaction closes, Activision Blizzard and Microsoft Gaming will continue to operate independently. Once the deal is complete, the Activision Blizzard business will report to me as CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard’s incredible catalog. We also announced today that Game Pass now has more than 25 million subscribers. As always, we look forward to continuing to add more value and more great games to Game Pass.

The fantastic franchises across Activision Blizzard will also accelerate our plans for Cloud Gaming, allowing more people in more places around the world to participate in the Xbox community using phones, tablets, laptops and other devices you already own. Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward.

As a company, Microsoft is committed to our journey for inclusion in every aspect of gaming, among both employees and players. We deeply value individual studio cultures. We also believe that creative success and autonomy go hand-in-hand with treating every person with dignity and respect. We hold all teams, and all leaders, to this commitment. We’re looking forward to extending our culture of proactive inclusion to the great teams across Activision Blizzard.

Around the world, there is no more exciting venue for fun and connection than video games. And there has never been a better time to play than right now. As we extend the joy and community of gaming to everyone, we look forward to welcoming all of our friends at Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming.

So no more Bobby according to that chart

kri kri fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 18, 2022

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I love Xbox

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A 70 billion loving deal. I wonder if this gets 10Cent out of the decision making at the company or if there's some sort of continuance clause for current board members.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Please buy Nintendo

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
MS Solitaire AND Candy Crush on my phone via GamePass?? A gamer can dream

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Who was the person who wanted a COD MCC? lol

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hayaaaaa??????

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

HAHAHA gently caress YOU BOBBY KOTICK, YOU PIECE OF poo poo.

I don't love industry consolidation but gently caress THAT DUDE, go get him Phil.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

What in the absolute blazing gently caress.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phew. Sega is safe.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

COD on gamepass, incredible

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I know there was already work done to get controller support in WoW a few years back, so it wouldn't be too surprising if they finally bring it to the Xbox. Even if the game is in a long decline an all-in-one console release would probably do very well.

EDIT: They could even boost the PC version's popularity by making your Game Pass subscription count as a WoW subscription because why the hell not.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 18, 2022

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sony is absolutely going to buy someone big like Square at this point, if they don't it's gunna the 360 generation alllll over again.

edit: ^^^^^ They'll launch it on gamepass either free + sub-fee or just straight free for gamepass ultimate players, it'll be a loving monster reinfusion into the game

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

"Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward."

But being on Game Pass is still going to be a huge advantage

Imagine if I was able to play the Vanguard campaign without paying $60 like a dumbass

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

lol wtf @ the activision thing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
My boys at MS saving my soul for enjoying Spyro and Tony Hawk

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Philthy Phil out here big dicking the whole industry

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Holy gently caress buckets that's a big deal.

They splashed out like $26 billion for LinkedIn I think that might be their biggest acquisition to date?

This is totally going to to end up in some anti trust hearing but wow if they pull it off. On the other hand you look at TV/movies and Disney etc owning half of entertainment and no one stops them.

I guess when you are a trillion plus company waving around so much cash isn't that much percentage wise but it's still feels like madness.

Is this the deal where you say 'we're still going to publish this on Playstation'? Is this the one that's there's just to much money to be made to not make these exclusive? Or do you say gently caress it they're ours. Otherwise why buy them right?

Edit: they do say 'across every device' but still jeez.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Zat posted:

lol wtf @ the activision thing

Feels like it came right the gently caress outta nowhere. Shame that the sexpests are probably going to escape punishment or scrutiny.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy your Take Two stock now folks

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Holy gently caress buckets that's a big deal.

They splashed out like $26 billion for LinkedIn I think that might be their biggest acquisition to date?

This is totally going to to end up in some anti trust hearing but wow if they pull it off. On the other hand you look at TV/movies and Disney etc owning half of entertainment and no one stops them.

I guess when you are a trillion plus company waving around so much cash isn't that much percentage wise but it's still feels like madness.

Is this the deal where you say 'we're still going to publish this on Playstation'? Is this the one that's there's just to much money to be made to not make these exclusive? Or do you say gently caress it they're ours. Otherwise why buy them right?

This is the one where it probably gets to the point where they could publish COD for full price on PS, but it doesn't matter. The whole endgame here is to make the value proposition: "sure, you can buy this for $70 on PS IF YOU WANT TO, but you could also just pay $15-20 per month and play it on Xbox, along with every other loving big game you want to play".

It's the exact same gamble that Netflix made that ultimately paid off - you make it so that the value proposition is essentially mandatory - you'd be insane right now now to have a Gamepass subscription. Then they'll increase rates in like 5 years and watch money roll in. Netflix eventually got big-hitting competitors that evened that out a bit...but the real question is whether Sony even has the ability to do this kind of thing themselves, now.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does this mean a WoW subscription gets rolled into Game Pass? That would be cool - sometimes I feel like playing it for a bit, but having to sub for a whole month when I've had my fix after a week is annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nearly ten times what they paid for Bethesda. loving crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nearly ten times what they paid for Bethesda. loving crazy.

Activision's catalog also loving sucks lol

The only games they released they actually own in the last 5 years are CoD, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawk. Maybe the Sekiro franchise, but not FromSoftware.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wow yeah that small series CoD

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Roman posted:

"Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward."

Imagine paying seventy billion dollars for a company still supporting your competitor.

That's a solid entry for smartest use of money this week, along with that crypto group that paid $3 million for a Dune picture book, thinking it gave them the IP rights to Dune.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Activision's catalog also loving sucks lol

The only games they released they actually own in the last 5 years are CoD, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawk. Maybe the Sekiro franchise, but not FromSoftware.

CoD and all the Blizzard IPs are what they've paid for here. The others are icing on the cake but CoD, Warcraft and Diablo are three of the biggest IPs out there and will drive a monstrous number of new Game Pass subs.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Edit: they do say 'across every device' but still jeez.

Whatever is currently in development will probably still end up on Sony platforms, but after that? I'm not so sure.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/12/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2021/

CoD is a huge piece of the Sony pie, as illustrated in the charts above. Warzone is the second most downloaded F2P game in the US, third in EU markets - across PS4 and PS5. Vanguard, Modern Warfare and Black Ops: Cold War all charted as the most downloaded games of 2021.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wow yeah that small series CoD

I didn't say they're small I said they suck.

ErrEff posted:

Whatever is currently in development will probably still end up on Sony platforms, but after that? I'm not so sure.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/12/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2021/

CoD is a huge piece of the Sony pie, as illustrated in the charts above. Warzone is the second most downloaded F2P game in the US, third in EU markets - across PS4 and PS5. Vanguard, Modern Warfare and Black Ops: Cold War all charted as the most downloaded games of 2021.

Too much of CoD's money comes from Playstation. They can afford to stop that because they're Microsoft and they'll bury it in all the other money Xbox loses every year, but they probably shouldn't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disagree

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Microsoft could really ratfuck Sony by making COD console exclusive to the xbone. That's a shitload of money on the table though so I can't see it happening, at most it'll be optimized for the xbox.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483436918092173312?t=hyTQcASwO6IeuDekUTzJBg&s=19

Well that was a nice hopeful few minutes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

You don’t spend $70B and not make CoD an exclusive. It might take a couple years or be weird based on any existing contracts but it 100% will be before long.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

elf help book posted:

My boys at MS saving my soul for enjoying Spyro and Tony Hawk
You have to imagine this means Toys For Bob and VV get to work on other projects now instead of texturing rocks for COD.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

univbee posted:

Imagine paying seventy billion dollars for a company still supporting your competitor.

That's a solid entry for smartest use of money this week, along with that crypto group that paid $3 million for a Dune picture book, thinking it gave them the IP rights to Dune.

They will do what they did with Bethesda - honor all announcements/commitments made by the publisher but going forward stuff will be Xbox (PC/console) exclusive except for mobile games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo