Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Spill_Eviction/status/1482447264173989890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nice

koren
Sep 7, 2003

This is really exciting news, but why the gently caress would you dump all that blurry chromatic aberration poo poo over your launch trailer? Especially over all the interface shots!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

koren posted:

This is really exciting news, but why the gently caress would you dump all that blurry chromatic aberration poo poo over your launch trailer? Especially over all the interface shots!

Same reason it has dramatic orchestral music

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hell yeah

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Death Wish 2 when

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Death WIIsh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Played the Fallen Aces demo, and I gotta wonder what engine they're using for it. Felt like some weird mix between Doom and Duke3D.

Really enjoyed it, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Played the Fallen Aces demo, and I gotta wonder what engine they're using for it. Felt like some weird mix between Doom and Duke3D.

Really enjoyed it, though.
It's Unity, though the developers are using Ultimate Doom Builder to create the levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's Unity, though the developers are using Ultimate Doom Builder to create the levels.

Ah, that would explain the perfectly rectangular trolley car.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Oh, that's an interesting combo. Using their previous expertise on Doom mapping, I guess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
huh, so I'm watching the Serious Sam 4 gdq run and the croteam dev is talking about the new xpack and i guess it originally started as just a community mod, but it ended up being so big that croteam decided to hire the guys as well outside "studio" and release it as an official thing. that's kinda neat

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Angryhead posted:

<DOOM on a price scanner>

Add one more to the "it runs DOOM pile"

https://twitter.com/_JoeSullivan/status/1482553501108613125

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/sunset_city_rpg/status/1482862177316917249?s=20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

After playing through Dark Forces with TFE, and Jedi Knight with OpenJKDF2 in the last month or so. I decided to run through Jedi Outcast, just via the Gog release. OpenJK isn’t at a very mature stage in spite of Raven having released the source almost a decade ago.

Still a fun game though I don’t like how the ai makes enemies run all over the place during firefights. It’s too frantic and looks dumb. I was intending to finish the game legit but Tavion is just too much of a pain in the rear end. So I cheated myself into an AT-ST and shot her till she was dead.

OpenJKDF2 working really well is a miracle in itself, but it seems there’s another engine recreation called Smith in the works. These are strange times we live in.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cruelty Squad expax hwen

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

After playing through Dark Forces with TFE, and Jedi Knight with OpenJKDF2 in the last month or so. I decided to run through Jedi Outcast, just via the Gog release. OpenJK isn’t at a very mature stage in spite of Raven having released the source almost a decade ago.

Still a fun game though I don’t like how the ai makes enemies run all over the place during firefights. It’s too frantic and looks dumb. I was intending to finish the game legit but Tavion is just too much of a pain in the rear end. So I cheated myself into an AT-ST and shot her till she was dead.

OpenJKDF2 working really well is a miracle in itself, but it seems there’s another engine recreation called Smith in the works. These are strange times we live in.

There's a bit fairly early on in Jedi Outcast where you briefly fight the evil t-rex sithlord or whatever and no matter what you do he hands your rear end to you. It's supposed to be a sort of "this is what you're going to have to go up against, you need to train and learn a lot" sort of thing. The version of the character in that sequence is literally immortal, there's no actual way to kill him. You can, however, spawn in a few dozen Luke Skywalker AIs to kick the ever loving poo poo out of him until you get bored and load a save.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Does anybody else often read “shitlord” when somebody writes “sithlord” as one word?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does anybody else often read “shitlord” when somebody writes “sithlord” as one word?

I mean is there any difference between the two?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
sithposting here in the cool thread :coal:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwbaTXymK1U

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I do, thanks Nesticle

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

kirbysuperstar posted:

I do, thanks Nesticle

it owns that nesticle played such a huge role in the progression of console emulation, i'm pretty sure it was the very first comfortably playable emulator and it looked like this:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

blatman posted:

it owns that nesticle played such a huge role in the progression of console emulation, i'm pretty sure it was the very first comfortably playable emulator and it looked like this:

Pretty great look at the begin-the-scenes development and overall situation with early emulation here.

I remember hearing about how you could "play the original Legend of Zelda on your computer!" back in junior high ('97), and I can't remember if Nesticle was given to me on a floppy disk, or if I actually managed to find and download it on our lovely internet back then, but it wasn't long before I amassed a massive collection of NES roms.

Anyway, sorry for the continued derail.

Thanks, shitman!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
TimeSplitters 2-3 are on sale on Xbox Live now, about £2 each. Bargain of the loving century

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

TimeSplitters 2-3 are on sale on Xbox Live now, about £2 each. Bargain of the loving century
Prey 2006 also has a similar deal going on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Timesplitters 3 on series x runs at 4K60 and looks/feels incredible. Me and my brother have been going through it co-op and having a blast.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I checked my xbox360 digital purchases that can be played om current Series S|X and holy poo poo. I hate booting up my 360 because of how noisy and slow it is but I'd play the poo poo out of one of the newer ones.

I'm picking Timesplitters 2-3 right now from the store.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really wish I had a working 360 controller right now, or at least that it were still possible to find a third party* controller for the system that isn't a piece of poo poo with analog sticks that have dead zones the size of Wyoming(thus making them completely useless for any actual game playing), cause the lack of a functioning controller is literally the only reason I haven't used my 360 for any actual amount of time in like 5 years(well it also has a sticky disc drive that is a bit iffy reading discs these days but that is a bit easier to work around in comparison)

*and it's impossible to find new official controllers for the system that aren't being sold for prices that are insultingly high

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1480930567659077635

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish I had a working 360 controller right now, or at least that it were still possible to find a third party* controller for the system that isn't a piece of poo poo with analog sticks that have dead zones the size of Wyoming(thus making them completely useless for any actual game playing), cause the lack of a functioning controller is literally the only reason I haven't used my 360 for any actual amount of time in like 5 years(well it also has a sticky disc drive that is a bit iffy reading discs these days but that is a bit easier to work around in comparison)

*and it's impossible to find new official controllers for the system that aren't being sold for prices that are insultingly high
You can get brand new "XBOX controller assembled in China from parts of the original controller" on aliexpress for like $22 and bargain basement imitations for $10

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003590101593.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003795662840.html

Will the deadzones be bad? Who knows? Roll the aliexpress die!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is one of the weirder places to ask this, but is there a Civ megathread anywhere?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is one of the weirder places to ask this, but is there a Civ megathread anywhere?

Did you look in the stickied thread listing? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have never bought a controller on AliExpress that wasn’t absolutely poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bought a decent wired xbone controller to use with my PC about 6 months back for like $40, but I checked the listing and it's $120 now so welp

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have never bought a controller on AliExpress that wasn’t absolutely poo poo

8bitdo sell their stuff direct on AliExpress but IME it's rarely cheaper than Amazon

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
My birthday is coming up, and my partner decided to hand me my gift a few days early...

I nearly forgot how it looked since it's been decades, but lowres Quake on a CRT looks so loving good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

My birthday is coming up, and my partner decided to hand me my gift a few days early...

I nearly forgot how it looked since it's been decades, but lowres Quake on a CRT looks so loving good.

512x384 4 lyfe

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I'm an idiot and completely didn't notice that thread. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh God I just realized that with Microsoft now buying Activision-Blizzard, Raven Software is now a sister company to id Software again