Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrikk posted:

Protip:

When in a meeting with a whole bunch of semi informed people all of whom have an opinion about how it ought to be, sit back and let them all pontificate. They will go around and around and ideas will be flying off the walls and everyone will be excitedly offering up their opinions on this, that and the other.

Then, when the energy winds down and people panic as they begin to realize that they are no closer to a solution than when they started, simply lean forward and say, "Why can't we just use this empty left hand for backup jobs?"

Since your voice is new and hasn't blended into the background din, and people are tired and panicky, yours will be the solution offered simply because yours is the voice of reason at the end of a pointless and fruitless discussion.

I am well versed in this methodology. Unfortunately my CIO is also the type that likes to be the one with all the great ideas so it usually means you have to plant the seed early and water it a few times throughout the discussion to ensure that he "comes up with it on his own" and gets to look like the hero.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, but why would you want your backups going to an out of support, way past end of life, outrageously lovely even during its heyday, storage device.

We just need a place to dump them before they get sync'd to the cloud really. But like, right the gently caress NOW.
We need an actual additional SAN in the short term, and to redo our current storage and be better data stewards long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was having a really hard time understanding what my new boss has been trying to say in emails and chat/Slack. Today I found out that he dictates almost all of his responses using text-to-speech and doesn't do any correction, which is why most of them don't make any sense. :eng99:

Also found out that not only does my 'design' job involve monitoring servers/infrastructure, but I also have to update certs and api keys/credentials and that kind of thing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So you're a DesignOps engineer? :haw:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It ended with him tasking our 2 newest techs with "figuring out how to send everything to an S3 bucket." :supaburn:

Veeam sending immediate copies of immutable backups to an S3 bucket is a gamechanger for the anti-"why tape backup doe" mindset.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got out of an interview:

"Is there an on call rotation I would have to participate in?"
"Not unless you want to"

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Sprechensiesexy posted:

"Not unless you want to"

My best friend does on call and he has no life outside of work.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sprechensiesexy posted:

"Not unless you want to"

We've got some people at my company who are more than willing to do on-call and will take shifts from other people. Mostly because it's fairly quiet and you get a decent chunk of change just for the week alone. They will also happily answer their phone call after hours or on vacation because "that's what a team is for".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Goons, I am not on interview 3/3 today which will now be the 10th interview for this potential new gig. If they told me before we started this journey that it would be 10 interviews, I would have laughed at them and told me no. They have strung me a long, bit by bit, to now I am fully invested. The sunk cost is hilarious at this point.

One interview turned into 2 more. "Just 2 more and we are done." "Can we schedule 3 interviews back to back to back today, last ones I promise". I have been suckered every step of the way. No homework, all pleasant interviews, but just 7+ hours of investment at this point. Their recruiter even texted me after 11pm to confirm a last minute interview for the next morning.

I have been told I am the only candidate and they are just being thorough. I am getting a bag for it though so there is that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

No homework, all pleasant interviews, but just 7+ hours of investment at this point.

I mean, look at it this way. You weren't working anyway. What were you going to do for those 7 hours? Actually do work for your other 3 jobs? :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

I plan starting the update on 1/21 @ 3:30pm.

Thanks,
MSP
Systems Engineer

WHY NOT

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

I have been told I am the only candidate and they are just being thorough. I am getting a bag for it though so there is that.

Post the bag.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I mean you're making 150K at the side gig, so if you're replacing the main gig you have to be looking for over 200K I'd think.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Are you just getting jobs at this point to see how many paychecks a week you can get before people notice and start firing you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Defenestrategy posted:

Are you just getting jobs at this point to see how many paychecks a week you can get before people notice and start firing you?

No, I am looking to replace one with a CISO that won't care how many snacks I have at my desk. I also want to stay far away from management roles from now on.

And I want to also point out that its very unlikely anyone is going to notice. You are either going to do your work at your job or you aren't.

Dick Trauma posted:

Post the bag.

This is how the kids say "getting paid" these days.

skipdogg posted:

I mean you're making 150K at the side gig, so if you're replacing the main gig you have to be looking for over 200K I'd think.

With stock its right around 200k.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 18, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I can not wait to be overemployed once I move and get settled. Going to pay off my wifes student loans, build up the savings, and pay off the house early.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening posted:

Oh gently caress he's right, I googled it. I'm adding this to the list that reminds me the world is passing me by with 'no cap', "on god', 'on fleek', and 'drip'.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sickening posted:

:rip::hf::corsair:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Inner Light posted:

'no cap', "on god', 'on fleek', and 'drip'

stop it, you made these up

I've heard "drip" before, like twice maybe

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ya'll just wait for fashion to come full circle, then you'll really feel old.

I went to 5 different stores last weekend to find my tween daughter a pair of all white Nike Air Force 1's that she just had to have. I was like... the Nelly shoes from 2002? and she said Who's Nelly? Then I muttered F these kids. Oh, also all the older music she hears that came out in the 90's and early 2000's are "that song from TikTok". F

I swear to god if JNCO's and wallet chains come back I might just move to the mountains and become a hermit.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

'No cap' confused me for a long while because I've played multiplayer shooting games since I was a kid and thought it meant something related to spawn camping.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I went to 5 different stores last weekend to find my tween daughter a pair of all white Nike Air Force 1's that she just had to have. I was like... the Nelly shoes from 2002? and she said Who's Nelly? Then I muttered F these kids. Oh, also all the older music she hears that came out in the 90's and early 2000's are "that song from TikTok". F

I swear to god if JNCO's and wallet chains come back I might just move to the mountains and become a hermit.

JNCOs are already making a comeback. The wallet chains, not so munch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jugglos are just playing the long game

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t understand assignment

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1483457917869338626?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lol, this doesn't happen.

Recruiters never look at your background.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm certain that they didn't pass on the message but I responded to one recruiter spam with "tell your clients they're paying less than they pay people to stock shelves at the grocery store."\

I applied to another 20-30 jobs today, eventually it has to pay off.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm certain that they didn't pass on the message but I responded to one recruiter spam with "tell your clients they're paying less than they pay people to stock shelves at the grocery store."\

I applied to another 20-30 jobs today, eventually it has to pay off.

I don't understand how you're applying to so many jobs with nothing panning out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm spamming my resume to anything that I have any remote chance of getting, basically. The "you miss every shot you don't take" approach taking advantage of Linkedin's easy apply taking like 10 seconds per application. I'll be happy with a 3% reply rate.

Also I might need to do more studying on Terraform and Ansible and CI/CD pipelines to get where I want to be going. It just takes far less thought and effort to apply to jobs than to actually learn something new and i have very little energy lately. I should really see a doctor about that, I shouldn't be needing a nap at 4PM after sleeping 10 hours the night before.

I'm also only applying for full remote jobs which means they have their choice of applicants, so it's probably harder to get than local jobs, but I live in an idyllic little town in the mountains where I can get actual silence and go hiking whenever I want.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sickening posted:

I had a recruiter reach out to me last Thursday. Had my first interview on weds. The recruiter called back and said they wanted to do 5 interviews, all back2back with groups of 2. 3 1/2 hour commitment. I told the person “if I am the only candidate they are talking to and the job is mine to lose, maybe.”

She hit me back 2 hours later and said “finding cloud security engineers is impossible right now and the hiring manager likes you, your the only candidate. I took the afternoon off sick and now the gauntlet is done. Just got the text from my recruiter that I will have an offer in my hand by Tuesday , after the holiday.

My reports might murder me , but my days in middle management are soon over. gently caress backwards Ciso.

It seems to me that maybe the other C-levels need to know why all their Infosec folks are leaving - though it may be that they sincerely don't care, depending on the company culture. That may be a bridge to burn if you are comfortable doing so. I know I'd really want to, but it would depend a lot on if I thought there would be any impact made by my saying "the reason we're all leaving is that the CISO is insane."

Defenestrategy posted:

lol, this doesn't happen.

Recruiters never look at your background.

Also, it's always insurance jobs for me, occasionally "work from home opportunities" - the kind from before everything was WFH.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

skipdogg posted:

There was a tweet or something the other day about a mother letting her kid watch The Ring and was preparing for them to be scared. Instead she spent most of movie explaining VCRs and landlines to them.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Darchangel posted:

It seems to me that maybe the other C-levels need to know why all their Infosec folks are leaving - though it may be that they sincerely don't care, depending on the company culture. That may be a bridge to burn if you are comfortable doing so. I know I'd really want to, but it would depend a lot on if I thought there would be any impact made by my saying "the reason we're all leaving is that the CISO is insane."

Also, it's always insurance jobs for me, occasionally "work from home opportunities" - the kind from before everything was WFH.

Insurance is going to be a big user of 'Recruiter Inc.' recruiters because the opportunities are garbage. Usually they're the 100% commission roles so it costs the company nothing to 'hire', and they are always happy to find suckers. I would be so much happier working at Target or whatever but diff'rent strokes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I should really see a doctor about that, I shouldn't be needing a nap at 4PM after sleeping 10 hours the night before.

This has been me for most of my life. I absolutely loved unemployment for naps. Really though the best thing for me was exercising and finding a hobby. Disc golf was the big one. For winter time I picked up an indoor bike and Ring Fit Adventure which have done me wonders.

I'm having some really bad mood swings lately so it's probably time yo reevaluate my meds and maybe check if I've got chronic fatigue.

Edit: also add me to the low % of replies. I modified my LinkedIn profile to only list the skills I actually want to do because the few recruiters I was getting were for the same roles I'm already working.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 19, 2022

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Inner Light posted:

'No cap' confused me for a long while because I've played multiplayer shooting games since I was a kid and thought it meant something related to spawn camping.

Stop the capture of the flag.

I.e. enemy in our base, killin r d00dz

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thought the current place you were at promoted you recently? No dice?

Just do Cloud Security. Its easy and in demand.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jesus Microsoft once again did a patch that broke a bunch of stuff and is now pushing the fix as an out of band "optional" update meaning I have to actually make patch actions instead of letting automation handle it. Why

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I thought the current place you were at promoted you recently? No dice?

Just do Cloud Security. Its easy and in demand.

They did, but it's a poo poo job that I hate and they're underpaying me and my manager said that he didn't think that I could get any of the jobs that I showed him as a counterpoint to their insultingly low offer so I feel an obligation to give him a learning experience in management skills.

E: today it was so bad I was tempted to pick up a pack of cigarettes when I haven't even vaped since October 1st, I realized that's an unhealthy level of giving a gently caress to have but it's a bad sign.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 19, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Reading my actual resume you'd see I'm not a developer and I haven't touched azure beyond setting up IAM and some compute stuff, and am basically a security engineer of some level looking for security jobs.

My recruiter emails look like the following:
75% [senior/junior/entry] Java Dev.
20% Senior Azure Architect.
3% Actual security jobs.
2% Scam/Insurance/Money mule

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Seems legit.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
How do you all handle MFA requirements on client-based VPN connections, specifically for 3rd party vendors supporting specific pieces of software in your environment? I've recently started implementing Fortigate's SSLVPN with SAML through either Okta or Azure and so far it's been a mix of requiring MFA for one client and putting them in an MFA bypass group for another client (using a realm in FGT speak). I suppose it really comes down to the people in charge, I'd prefer enforcing MFA for all connections but it looks like we're having issues with some vendors connecting from various locations in Asia, according to the support desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Contractors have to be authenticated into Okta for the VPN to authenticate. We don't have any exceptions as far as I'm aware.