Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL why would I lend my physical games to someone clumsy enough to break their Wii U?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

Oh, I can lend you the physical copy. Oh wait, sorry I lost the disc in the last move. Here's the box though.

Okay, yeah, if you're brain damaged you can have a company babysit your games for you and decide when you can play them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They didn’t remove peoples games from their memory cards, lol, who are these people who own games but didn’t download them for like 5 years and then one day are upset they can’t play the game that they bought and never downloaded!!! It’s an army entirely of straw men!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Okay, yeah, if you're brain damaged you can have a company babysit your games for you and decide when you can play them.

You're the one who broke your Wii u

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's bad to be able to buy something and not have it available to you later. hth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Here’s $60”
“Here is your game.”
“Ok here is the game back”
“Ok here is $20”
“May I please have a new game for $60?”
“Sure!”

Sustainable! That’s great value! You’d be crazy not to lose money on every purchase you make! You’re just leaving money on the table!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL why would I lend my physical games to someone clumsy enough to break their Wii U?!

It's a shoddy product! Those disc drives don't last forever!

Morpheus posted:

You're the one who broke your Wii u

Consumer electronics, famous for only failing due to user error

This post brought to you by Pay Corporations To Not Own Things Gang

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bust Rodd posted:

“Here’s $60”
“Here is your game.”
“Ok here is $20”
“Sure!”

Sustainable! That’s great value! You’d be crazy not to lose money on every purchase you make! You’re just leaving money on the table!!!

:chloe:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Your digital games will not be taken away from you.

There will, at some point, come a time when you are no longer able to redownload them from the company's servers. But that's not really very different from physical games - by the time the digital storefronts are shut down they will have long since stopped printing new physical copies of the game, so you need to keep your copy intact either way. Or just pirate and homebrew, because that's the inevitable answer to games preservation decades after release

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, the "physical vs digital" stage of the cycle of the Switch Thread. Where we all engage in the practice of telling one another that the other party is full of dumb stupid doo-doo heads because they bought the right game the wrong way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish I never got rid of my old consoles and games. Lost. Forever.

Buying physical rules and I'll just store things up for later if I want to bust em out again. gently caress digital for the most part.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

“Here’s $60”
“Here is your game.”
“Ok here is $20”
“Sure!”

This is also true.

These people need to learn about libraries.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like physical because i can physically feel the gaming experience move through my body like a thin sheet of satin twisted into a rope being pulled out of me . . . the true ”nintendo good time guarantee”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Your digital games will not be taken away from you.

There will, at some point, come a time when you are no longer able to redownload them from the company's servers. But that's not really very different from physical games - by the time the digital storefronts are shut down they will have long since stopped printing new physical copies of the game, so you need to keep your copy intact either way. Or just pirate and homebrew, because that's the inevitable answer to games preservation decades after release
the issue is this, assuming a situation when the digital store goes down:

if you own five wii u games and your wii u gets destroyed, you can find a wii u online and play your games.
if you own five wii u games and one gets destroyed, you sitll have four wii u games.

if you own five wii u games digitally on a single sd card and the sd card gets destroyed, the games are gone.
if you own five wii u games digitally and the wii u gets destroyed, the games are gone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you own a ps5 you have no games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i believe you should pirate all video games whenever possible so the only purpose purchasing a video game has is sentimental value, in which case a physical copy is worth much more than a digital one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Since digital purchases are so awesome, let's all go play Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Oh you can't because you're not on Team Physical or Team Piracy.

Like a fool.

A clown.

A bozo clowndick with a honky horn where his peepee should be.

You disgust me and your games library will not survive the winter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Foul Fowl posted:

i like physical because i can physically feel the gaming experience move through my body like a thin sheet of satin twisted into a rope being pulled out of me . . . the true ”nintendo good time guarantee”

i like them because the switch boxes look cool, like the old PSP cases

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Feels Villeneuve posted:

soon tho!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i got like 10 ps5 games dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

i got like 10 ps5 games dude
demons souls doesnt count

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

demons souls doesnt count

it does count actually. its a ps5 game

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it's loving great. It's insane what Bluepoint pulled off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i usually get stuff that seems like something i'd really like physically or otherwise stuff that seems like it'd be harder to get physically later because of resellers, aka "weeb rear end poo poo", which is why i have a copy of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters in the mail today

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The REAL Goobusters posted:

it does count actually. its a ps5 game

Okay, then there's 1 (one) PS5 game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the console which actually had the coolest game boxes is the vita, unfortunately that also had no games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Commander Keene posted:

Ah, the "physical vs digital" stage of the cycle of the Switch Thread. Where we all engage in the practice of telling one another that the other party is full of dumb stupid doo-doo heads because they bought the right game the wrong way.

Honestly people that think one way is inherently better than another are the only dummies here, both have benefits and downsides. I had GBA games that were rendered unplayable because of failing batteries causing saves to never work, for example. Buying digitally doesn't contribute as much to the production of plastic and non-decomposables. It also means being beholden to storsge devices or whims of digital storefronts. Buying physically means having a copy that you can use later. Buying physically also means potentially losing or breaking the thing - my copy of FF Theatrythm 2 flew out of my DS when it fell out of my pocket while running for the bus and there went my saves and my money - went on sale digitally later though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Subnautica Update

I finally took my newly built Cyclops to the lava area, but I left it parked to explore around in the prawn suit and those little leeches sucked out most of the power. I probably should have made a few extra power cells before heading down there. I took out the remaining cells and stored them in the prawn so I could swap them out and get home, and went further into the lava area. Can't build a thermal plant until I get crystals that apparently only exist in the hot zone! Saw a sea dragon and nearly poo poo my pants. Got two crystals and made it back to my base just as I was about to die (glad I can eat gel sacs from the lost river for water)

Now I just have to figure out where the gently caress the plans for the digger/drill arm are

Get the Cyclops shield upgrade, just flashing it on/off will discourage the leeches and you'll have zero power concerns once you plug in that thermal reactor upgrade into the Cyclops because it's ALL hot water in the lava zone.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Hello goons I have just enterred the Nintendo Switch ecosystem and I love it! I've been playing a large amount of Kirby on Switch (i know, i know...) but I was wondering if any other of the classic Nintendo franchises have transitioned over well? Particularly that yarn Yoshi game and any game that has Samus in it :D

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If I have a physical copy of say burnout paradise, then they lose or fail to renew the music license, do I still have gnr's paradise city on my copy or does it get patched out or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

worms butthole guy posted:

Hello goons I have just enterred the Nintendo Switch ecosystem and I love it! I've been playing a large amount of Kirby on Switch (i know, i know...) but I was wondering if any other of the classic Nintendo franchises have transitioned over well? Particularly that yarn Yoshi game and any game that has Samus in it :D

good news, gamer. the 2021 release of Metroid: Dread saw Samus return to the big time in an action-packed "Metroidvania" romp, using her arsenal against an array of terrifying enemies and bosses.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Since digital purchases are so awesome, let's all go play Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Oh you can't because you're not on Team Physical or Team Piracy.

Like a fool.

A clown.

A bozo clowndick with a honky horn where his peepee should be.

You disgust me and your games library will not survive the winter.

sometimes I worry I'm not very funny but then I read poo poo like this and realise it could be worse

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

good news, gamer. the 2021 release of Metroid: Dread saw Samus return to the big time in an action-packed "Metroidvania" romp, using her arsenal against an array of terrifying enemies and bosses.

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask ) I dont play gaijin developed Metroid games; I just don't think they understand Metroid. I was more looking towards Smash Brothers!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

worms butthole guy posted:

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask ) I dont play gaijin developed Metroid games; I just don't think they understand Metroid. I was more looking towards Smash Brothers!

:lol:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The rest of the Kingdom Hearts series is coming to Switch on February 10th (though only via streaming unfortunately):

https://twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/1483318234082250752

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yes I definitely want to be tied to the internet in order to play my portable Role Playing games thanks square

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sudden Javelin posted:

sometimes I worry I'm not very funny but then I read poo poo like this and realise it could be worse

Turn on your monitor

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I started playing through metroid dread and one thing specifically is really bugging me (I'm a little over 2 hours in): the way they'll plop rubble, debris, a weird plant, etc, in random hallways to actively prevent you from going back and exploring when you get a new item. I understand wanting to guide the player, and wanting the player to not waste hours backtracking before they should; but they went a little too far with it in this one imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
metroid is sonic now sorry