Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Elephant Ambush posted:

What happened with Mel? I don't read sports forums but I remember him being a pretty good poster in LF all those years ago.

When WWE started running shows in Saudi Arabia, he started making posts defending the house of Saud and saying that any criticism of their policies was just over-exaggerated racism

It then came out that he was actually working either directly or indirectly (I forget the exact details) for the Saudi government in some fashion, I think as part of their PR/propaganda wing to shine up their image in Western media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CommonShore posted:

He got really defensive of the Kingdom of Saudia Arabia

Welp

Edit: lol wow

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's been a while but I think he was teaching English

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

When WWE started running shows in Saudi Arabia, he started making posts defending the house of Saud and saying that any criticism of their policies was just over-exaggerated racism

It then came out that he was actually working either directly or indirectly (I forget the exact details) for the Saudi government in some fashion, I think as part of their PR/propaganda wing to shine up their image in Western media

Indirectly. I believe either taught at the embassy or a school that was primarily kids of members of government overseas. His role gets exaggerated in retelling. But it's still really funny that people were being really careful in being explicit they were mad at the government, he called the criticism racist and then lol turns out he might be a little biased.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3902822&pagenumber=12&perpage=40&highlight=vision#post499670125

here's the original post

this was while mel was posting that jim cornette, who has a history of bigotry towards islam, was a funny and interesting person

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Gumball Gumption posted:

Indirectly. I believe either taught at the embassy or a school that was primarily kids of members of government overseas. His role gets exaggerated in retelling. But it's still really funny that people were being really careful in being explicit they were mad at the government, he called the criticism racist and then lol turns out he might be a little biased.

I can't believe he was part of the squad that chopped up a Washington Post journalist.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A crown prince who loves mudkip diapers on our very forum!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
From that thread:

quote:

You've got people digging into the financials on the F4 board and the was a weird line item on the July Q2 financials where profit predictions were based on "if" the 2nd Saudi show took place which is odd if they had a 10 year deal with KSA.

However if internally WWE found out the Saudis were likely to stiff them on the next set of shows the following reaction makes sense.

WWE honchos unloading stock in July and August 2019:
Executive Vice President, Television Production, Kevin Dunn: 305,226 shares for $18 million
Co-President, Michelle Wilson: 261,181 shares for $22.1 million
Co-President, George Barros: 158,252 shares for $13.2 million
Chief Brand Officer, Stephanie McMahon Levesque: 17,373 shares for $1,440,569.16
Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events & Creative, Paul Levesque (Triple H): 17,272 shares for $1,432194.24
President, WWE Studios, Michael Luisi: 16,579 shares for $1,374,730,68
Corporate Controller, Mark Kowal: 4,913 shares for $407,385.96

Remember everyone going "That's weird, surely they would sell just prior to October"

If those two events can be linked, that's a massive insider trading scandal with serious criminal implications.

Was this ever looked into properly?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm sure Vince loves the money and doesn't want to stop running shows there, but also, I wouldn't put it past them to threaten him if he ever did stop.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
They were sued over Saudi a few times and I believe one of the suits mentioned suspicious insider trading but they were all settled before discovery

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE settling and settling for 39 million is super telling as they like to fight all law suits. And they just folded before discovery

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Some old friends of the thread:

https://twitter.com/RealBShannon3/status/1483171495463600141

https://twitter.com/MCLev76/status/1483133768315842561

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

The worst treatment anyone got on the north Korea trip was being kept awake by Akira hokuto being an extremely noisy sex haver.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

The worst treatment anyone got on the north Korea trip was being kept awake by Akira hokuto being an extremely noisy sex haver.

Scott Norton allegedly got taken away by the military and locked in an interrogation cell for calling North Korea a "shithole" on a phone call with his wife. But he came out of it all right.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Scott Norton allegedly got taken away by the military and locked in an interrogation cell for calling North Korea a "shithole" on a phone call with his wife. But he came out of it all right.

well, until someone activates him at least

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

say, aren’t they still a couple? I remember that story ending in an oddly cute way but I may be wrong

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SatansOnion posted:

say, aren’t they still a couple? I remember that story ending in an oddly cute way but I may be wrong

the other half of the incredibly loud sex was Kensuke Sasaki and they were married later that year and remain married to this day, yes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I always thought the story was they were introduced to each, and then got married that very day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I always thought the story was they were introduced to each, and then got married that very day.

the story is that Sasaki proposed on the spot but they were married in October

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Alaois posted:

the other half of the incredibly loud sex was Kensuke Sasaki and they were married later that year and remain married to this day, yes

The first day I lived in Japan I went to a Takayama Empire show at Korakuen and I got in what I thought was the queue to the bathroom and at the end of it was Kensuke Sasaki and Akira Hokuto who took my program for the show and signed it so now I have a program for a show completely unrelated to them signed by Sasaki and Hokuto

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The first day I lived in Japan I went to a Takayama Empire show at Korakuen and I got in what I thought was the queue to the bathroom and at the end of it was Kensuke Sasaki and Akira Hokuto who took my program for the show and signed it so now I have a program for a show completely unrelated to them signed by Sasaki and Hokuto

This is a fantastic story, I love it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/JohnKromer2/status/1483240993088585729?t=8VPdP7FUJvx-f1cPlcpaMg&s=19

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Alaois posted:

love to hear it (the happy marriage of Kensuke Sasaki and Akira Hokuto, not so much the sleep-ruining noise)

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Hokuto's Instagram is great. She and Sasaki have a bunch of cats.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Who's going to tell the Dangerous Queen that she fucks too loud?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Power Windows posted:

Hokuto's Instagram is great. She and Sasaki have a bunch of cats.

Which Instagram are you looking at? The Hokuto one I follow has them owning a bunch of bulldogs. No cats

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/AidenJamous/status/1483278296779481093?t=cNZk5vaAIvoDVbW9Z8gvOw&s=19

Yeah, the fans hated something WWE booked terribly. We're such jerks!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Nikki Ash got over" seems insane to me but "fans did hater poo poo" is the best. We're all just too jealous of that Nikki Ash swag.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

THEY ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE INTERNET WRESTLING COMMUNITY WHILE POSTING ONLINE! AAAAHHHHH

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I don't think Nikki got that gimmick over with a single soul on the planet, not even Vince.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Better believe in the Internet Wrestling Community, Aiden Jamous. You're in it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nikki AGOASH, Almost Got Over As Super Hero.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Nikki pitched "I wanna do the Mighty Molly gimmick" and got "we'll give you a stupid name and beat you over and over and make you look like a complete dork at every opportunity" and nobody can figure out why some people didn't like the result.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

On the reveal of the cover/back cover of 2K22, the mythic casual fan who drops $70 on a video game makes an appearance:

https://twitter.com/WGames_News/status/1483459102131077120
https://twitter.com/_LuckyDavinci/status/1483465260807995397

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm pretty sure casuals think cool poo poo rules. They don't care if it's Becky bleeding or Asuka with her murder stare and smile. Does she even still do that? I haven't watched WWE in so long and even then I never watched Main Roster.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm pretty sure casuals think cool poo poo rules. They don't care if it's Becky bleeding or Asuka with her murder stare and smile. Does she even still do that? I haven't watched WWE in so long and even then I never watched Main Roster.

Asuka does nothing Because she’s been off tv for months

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Casual space

Also it's kind of amazing that they have fans using the word "superstar" now. They finally made it happen after like 40 years. It's still dumb as gently caress after all this time too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WWE about to move from the casual space into dead space.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Not a single "casual" knows who Becky Lynch is. Either use people your fanbase like or use poo poo that looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

People who didn't even like wrestling used to play wrestling video games, and Rey is probably one of the very few left that is recognizable to lapsed fans or looks cool enough to non-fans to get a look. Plus the cover looks cool.

Not sure why people are opposed to Becky on the back, isn't she very popular? Or did the Bianca squash kill her popularity? I don't think any of the three would appeal to a 'casual' though.