Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AST is the healer I know the least about so I'm curious to hear what's cool about it from any AST mains. I'm making it a goal to finally level all jobs to max in Endwalker so I'll be playing a bunch of AST sooner or later.

I really like SCH and SGE because I love the feeling of my strongest healing tools being oGCDs with limited resources. It makes the whole thing feel really tactical, even if it isn't as hard or complicated as it first appears. Meanwhile I enjoyed WHM in Shadowbringers because it was fun to have buttons to press for Big Heal and then sometimes I could throw out an exploding flower for Big Hurt. How does AST compare to either of those styles?

(If nothing else I adore AST's spell effects so I'm very much looking forward to seeing a lot of those. Still the prettiest particle effects in the game.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kyrosiris posted:

*googles*

Holy loving :laffo:

Man, achievement chasing for fishing is some wild-rear end nonsense, my god.

Deathlove posted:

haha, I knew it was bad, but

ha ha

haaaaaaaa

Yeah. I enjoy fishing well enough, but I am by no metric a diehard or hardcore fisher in this game.
I spent close to two weeks chasing this loving thing, had a crack-ping moment when I triggered the Intuition buff, and when I tried to cast, began getting the "The fish are onto you, go somewhere else" message.

When the howling and gibbering screams faded and I was myself again, I decided I had had enough and just bought one off the marketboard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m a little sad that WHM doesn’t feel as good as it did in Shadowbringers since it’s my main. Suppose it’s time to start branching out to other healers :sigh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And true to how fishing should be - that fish is absolutely useless as anything other than a trophy. At least they made that one tradable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
AST is cool because it competes in the oGCD space with SCH and SGE, while dropping GCD bombs like WHM. They have various time-delay effects, like Earthly Star and Exaltation.

Some of their toolkit is completely unique - Macrocosmos adds up some damage your party takes and gives it back like a green wildfire. Synastry lets you GCD heal two targets, or bomb one target hard with bonuses. Light Speed makes 15s of your regular casts instant.

Cards keep you busy and still has a flavour of RNG. Big positive for me, but others are down on it.

If I had to give it some cons, it's arguably busier for less reward, and the opener still has a stupid number of weaves in it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

AST is the healer I know the least about so I'm curious to hear what's cool about it from any AST mains

All the oGCDs feel pretty strong, Lightspeed lets you be super mobile when you need to, and all the delay based abilities honestly feel fun to juggle. Having a Giant Star or Horoscope set up gives you some extra cushion for dealing with sudden or anticipated damage spikes and gives the class a fairly unique identity. I like the card matching stuff because it gives me something to think about and do between spamming 1, and hitting the party with Divination makes me feel important.

I can't really comment on the Endwalker changes since I fell into the Sage hole, other than I like the new lord/lady mechanic even if it's random. Seal changes are fine even if I miss Sleeve Draw. Macrocosmos looks like more of the fun prep stuff that makes Astro enjoyable to me though, so looking forward to that.

also yeah it's a real pretty class

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Astrologian is absurdly good. It's the same as it's always been in Shadowbringers but with more throughput, infinity mana, and Macrocosmos is straight up busted.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AST feels better than ever for actually healing (lookin at you 20y Earthly Star) but I'm honestly kind of hating the sheer amount of stuff you need to do in your opener. You basically can't use Lightspeed as a movement tool ever because you need to weave a ton of cooldowns into Divination. Astrodyne also just kind of sucks and I'm pretty sure you're better off not digging for more than a two-seal AD and having a three-seal AD just be a happy accident.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macrocosmos seems like it might be the coolest single healing button in the game. I'm a big fan of Haima/Panhaima but Macrocosmos seems even cooler.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Macrocosmos is really goddamn good yeah, both in raids/trials and in dungeons where it's basically just Benediction on the tank for a trash pull.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Macrocosmos is just the Best Healer Button (tm). Especially with how many multi-hit stacks that get thrown around with some of the latest content. It also works on at least one action that directly reduces your HP to 1.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Wait you can Macrocosmos superbolide?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Macrocosmos also just completely trivialises one mechanic in P3S that is a tough heal check otherwise.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm a little down on macrocosmos because I feel like I have to let it run its course to be useful but that means that I'm healing while it runs and it feels kind of wasted when it pops, usually. I much prefer the way haima/panhamia works but like sage less overall. This is a me thing, not a mechanic thing.

The real biggest complaints I have about new AST are a) astrodyne is very underwhelming and I kinda wish they'd just scrapped the seal mechanic entirely, and b) if they were going to keep the seal mechanic, I wish they'd let you use minor arcana to filter cards you don't want any more like in shb. Everything else is pretty great and I'm loving range: yes Earthly Star.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think the reason why Macro works on that P3S mechanic is because the boss directly damages you but doesn't actually kill you, Superbolide is a flat "set HP to 1" so you don't actually incur damage and Macrocosmos shouldn't interact with the HP loss from it the same way

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TGLT posted:

Wait you can Macrocosmos superbolide?

Not superbolide, but the Kokytos ability 83's extreme trial uses that sets everyone's hp to 1. I assume other hostile actions that do the same will also work.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not superbolide, but the Kokytos ability 83's extreme trial uses that sets everyone's hp to 1. I assume other hostile actions that do the same will also work.

Aw drat, was hoping I could counter-troll a friend. Still that's super nifty.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Leraika posted:

I'm a little down on macrocosmos because I feel like I have to let it run its course to be useful but that means that I'm healing while it runs and it feels kind of wasted when it pops, usually. I much prefer the way haima/panhamia works but like sage less overall. This is a me thing, not a mechanic thing.

The real biggest complaints I have about new AST are a) astrodyne is very underwhelming and I kinda wish they'd just scrapped the seal mechanic entirely, and b) if they were going to keep the seal mechanic, I wish they'd let you use minor arcana to filter cards you don't want any more like in shb. Everything else is pretty great and I'm loving range: yes Earthly Star.

Astrodyne is basically infinite mana. But I agree that minor arcana does not need to be two buttons.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for the SGE tips! I’m also very insetted in checking out AST, so I might get on that as well.

So right now my retainers are set to be a monk and miner. Miner feels right, I’m leveling them now but I love the extra resources. But for the other one, is there a better job for them then Monk? Should they be a botanist or something?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

This actually makes me wonder what exactly is happening under the hood with Superbolide then, since you don't see a damage number pop up when you use it.

Kurieg posted:

Astrodyne is basically infinite mana. But I agree that minor arcana does not need to be two buttons.

AST has so many goddamn weaves I might be happy if they just made Minor Arcana immediately pop the damage or the heal when you press it just to be down one less button to fit in

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

This actually makes me wonder what exactly is happening under the hood with Superbolide then, since you don't see a damage number pop up when you use it.
You summon an invisible mathbot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Thanks for the SGE tips! I’m also very insetted in checking out AST, so I might get on that as well.

So right now my retainers are set to be a monk and miner. Miner feels right, I’m leveling them now but I love the extra resources. But for the other one, is there a better job for them then Monk? Should they be a botanist or something?

Combat retainers are pretty useful, because their stuff is a bit harder to get in bulk. I could go out for an hour on my botanist and come back with over 1000 logs, but if I was farming mobs (or fates to get the bicolor gemstones) I might break 20 or 30 items. It's just easier to have a combat retainer go out and grab 15 or so of them an hour and be done with it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Before FFLogs changed it, the death mechanic in the last part of the fight completely warped the damage taken numbers for the fight because it just does 999999 damage to you up to 4 times depending on how many debuffs you need to cleanse.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Combat retainers are pretty useful, because their stuff is a bit harder to get in bulk. I could go out for an hour on my botanist and come back with over 1000 logs, but if I was farming mobs (or fates to get the bicolor gemstones) I might break 20 or 30 items. It's just easier to have a combat retainer go out and grab 15 or so of them an hour and be done with it.

Yeah, combat retainers are highly underrated. The main benefit of gatherer retainers is being able to get easy access to out-of-date legendary node drops for certain crafts, as well as being able to lazily accrue crystals without much effort. It's nice to have one around, but, especially with the advent of Gatherer's Boon, combat retainers are more highly prized for being able to save you money and effort in the long run.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

And true to how fishing should be - that fish is absolutely useless as anything other than a trophy. At least they made that one tradable.

actually false, warden of the seven hues is one of the few fish you can put in an aquarium tank, and it looks great

mine got blown up when my last house was demolished for inactivity, though :negative:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The best thing about AST is that it looks the flashiest. Only SGE comes close

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Combat retainer has been making me bank with hunting for monster mats.

Anyone know if NQ 90 gathering gear is enough for DoL retainer? I dont know if I want to go through the trouble of making an HQ set just for ventures. I used to have them doing fire crystals but those have dropped massively in value, so I assume I probably should move them to EW gathering since Im already sick of the crap quick ventures is filling my inventory with.

e: AST healing is weird to me, at least grinding out EW dungeons I felt like I ran into a lot of situations where I was spamming Benefic 2 desperately trying to keep the tank alive. Granted, I think I wasn't using Neutral Sect anywhere as much as I should have been.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 18, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kurieg posted:

It is but I don't generally find myself running out of mana.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

The best thing about AST is that it looks the flashiest. Only SGE comes close

Holos, Phlegma III, and Pneuma all look so crazy good

SGE has other great-looking abilities but those are my favorites. I especially love the jumping and punching you do when you cast Phlegma.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think a huge part of the reason why I love SGE so much is that its animation clearly had a lot of time and effort dumped into them to make them feel way more active than most other healer jobs. SCH kinda waving their hands to put down Sacred Soil is nothing compared to Kerachole's spin into ground slam, and Holos' animation feels so much goddamn cooler than Temperance, even if the effect is much milder in comparison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Venuz Patrol posted:

actually false, warden of the seven hues is one of the few fish you can put in an aquarium tank, and it looks great

mine got blown up when my last house was demolished for inactivity, though :negative:

I was meaning the fishtank when I said as a trophy - you gotta display your 3.5m gil fish.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

Combat retainer has been making me bank with hunting for monster mats.

Anyone know if NQ 90 gathering gear is enough for DoL retainer?

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Botany_Exploration

This has the gathering caps you need, as well as the perception thresholds you need for each return. You can check out the other types up top if botany isn't your thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

I think a huge part of the reason why I love SGE so much is that its animation clearly had a lot of time and effort dumped into them to make them feel way more active than most other healer jobs. SCH kinda waving their hands to put down Sacred Soil is nothing compared to Kerachole's spin into ground slam, and Holos' animation feels so much goddamn cooler than Temperance, even if the effect is much milder in comparison.

I do still like Scholar's animations, or at least most of them. Sacred Soil's a lot more understated than Kerachole but it looks like this really decisive, sharp gesture and it feels appropriate for the battle tactician healer.

I still wish Scholar weapons came with a cavalry saber in the off-hand, though, really complete the tactician-magician look. You could stab it into the ground to cast Art of War.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was meaning the fishtank when I said as a trophy - you gotta display your 3.5m gil fish.

ah fair point, when i said that, i was thinking of the other big fish that are at least as difficult to catch as the warden but don't even have a display option

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Have people started actually doing the story dungeons in Bozja yet, or is that still basically nothing but fate grinds?

At least in Aether I'm seeing like 3-5 parties a week for the various ones (the most for DR for the relic steps, but all of them) through the Bozja/Baldesion discord. I'd check around on your data center and if push comes to shove, make a PF for a weekend or primetime.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

e: AST healing is weird to me, at least grinding out EW dungeons I felt like I ran into a lot of situations where I was spamming Benefic 2 desperately trying to keep the tank alive. Granted, I think I wasn't using Neutral Sect anywhere as much as I should have been.

There's a tough stretch where you don't get anything new to work with until Exaltation at 86 and the game is designed around tanks pressing TBN/Holy Sheltron/BW/Heart of :thunk: so you have to break your back keeping a tank alive if they don't press it

Don't forget that if you completely run out of good buttons to press and have to resort to using Benefic 2, try to use Synastry on the tank first so that you get an extra 40% potency per gcd.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Oxyclean posted:

I've had the same issue in late ShB dungeons too, not just EW ones, I definitely don't feel like my healing has as much oomph as it used to. Bene2 is getting used the most I have ever used it and I've got the best gear available with a maxed out Resistance weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One small mercy is that White Mage hasn’t had any trouble keeping up in terms of healing in Endwalker. Its problems are based entirely around the the blood lily nerf and lilybell being inferior to the other anti-Akh Morn spells.

In XDR dungeons, I actually often end up hoarding lilies or just using them to build up blood lily anyway cuz we don’t take enough damage to justify using them ASAP.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know I should probably let Macrocosmos run a little bit before doing the heal but it's too funny to just instantly undo a raidwide to not do that.