Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just became aware of this because of an article about the LOGI manifesto.

I like logi and making numbers go up. Are we "striking" on this deal, or do we grab poo poo to make other poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The logi strike is by people who do philanthropic logi for the entire Wardens side. People who do selfish logi for just their own clans are going brrrrr.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

GruntyThrst posted:

Vehicles that you make by hand in a garage are ONLY reservable if they have no weapon (except buses, buses are never reservable).

Just to illustrate even more how hosed up this system is be aware that the Warden motorcycle is NOT reserveable as an individual vehicle. Why ? The Colonials have one with a MG on it so all motorcycles are apparently classified as armed vehicles (or its the fact someone in the side car can shoot out with the pistol, take your pick). BUT apparently (can't confirm because I don't play Colonial) the Colonial standard truck with roof MG IS reserveable as an individual vehicle :downsgun:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, we fired a record breaking amount of 120MM shells that night.

We blew that record out of the loving water tonight. Well over 3k shells fired today at brine glen.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RocketRaygun posted:

We blew that record out of the loving water tonight. Well over 3k shells fired today at brine glen.

I guess I know what I'm building today. :dance:

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Showed up with one gun and countered one enemy gun. Collies didnt like this so they put up two guns to fire on us. Schlampa brought down something like 1000 rounds but only one gun and our 3 man crew just couldnt keep it alive.

I sent my complaints to roy and the legend rolls up with three trucks full of dudes and more cannons.

Three pits were dug, and later expanded to five and one stolen collie push gun (lmao)

Big ups to all the randos who showed up and filled in the gaps for loading, driving, and even blast'n.

They pushed us back to the bridge by the time I burned out but the damage we did was enough to justify that push. So much was glassed.

After everybody left I went back to the pits to see how the two guns we left were doing. Three randos were randomly yeeting out rounds with no spotter while three enemy howies shelled our front lines. They said they knew what they were doing and that I should gently caress off from THEIR arty pits. After a little back and forth of name calling I think I got through to them that they werent helping anyone and just wasting ammo. Luckily there were still a couple goooooooooooooooooooons on that hopped onto one of the guns and relayed to the other crew of two. We silenced the three guns and shattered a rather large infantry attack. Things were starting to look good with us pushing them out of friendly trenches and back into the fields when they started pushing with tankets, rpg half tracks and three more guns. Sadly we were pushed back to the bridge and forced to blow it.

Pretty fun night.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I think the logi strike could be seen by many as an over-reaction by entitled players, "play another game if its not fun", etc. The game is fun, those players don't want to leave, they want to improve a section of the game that is perhaps one of its most unique aspects and is full of awkward, baffling, pitfall-strewn and time-wasting mechanics. The dev team isn't big and the game so massively successful that it would be reasonable to ask that every thing is fixed to the player's wishes immediately but that wasn't a demand. I believe the logi strike wouldn't have happened if there was an acknowledgement, even if vague and in the far-future, or added to whatever backlog that they have. But the devs, replied with silence so we have this weird event happening.

To provide context from my own experience, the game interface is full of pitfalls where you can easily lose or misplace your last hour(s) of endeavour. Learning to be an efficient logistics player means learning how to avoid all the figurative and literal mines that the game puts in front of you. Materials stack in strange ratios, anything put into public (i.e, its been given for any player to take/use) take agonisingly long to use, there are one-way conversions that prevent materials from being stored, and many more little irritating things that made it on the logi list. Is it worth all the fuss and a strike? Probably not but where another game dev might have added it to a backlog or at least have a community response of some kind, the players felt ignored to the degree that this was their recourse.

Give it a go if you are interested in a eurotruck game masquerading as a combat game, with dynamic deliveries and other players who occasionally shoot at you. Play with goons though!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kore_Fero posted:

To provide context from my own experience, the game interface is full of pitfalls where you can easily lose or misplace your last hour(s) of endeavour.

first time playing this game i was insanely glad i noticed the seaport resets to public tab practically every time i open it, despite it opening to my private tab the first 5 or so times while familiarizing with the UI, and before i dumped all my poo poo in a minute later lmao

this was after i figured out that no, you can't just dump your mats in, you have to get them packaged from the refinery to be able to do that

great game but goddamn can one misclick be brutal when your smallest unit is a full container lol

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some logistics players do have a point, though honestly they should have unleashed their powers at the tail end of this war when even winning becomes painful to do as for the millionth time the developer placed the logistical facilities in the most awkward out of the way places.

The developers are certainly at a fault to a degree, I honestly think the hex expansion should have happened with logistical improvements for certain now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Truga posted:

great game but goddamn can one misclick be brutal when your smallest unit is a full container lol

My favourite is how "unpack all material crates" is right below "submit all to stockpile" in the right click menu. So when you're running materials to the depot, you're always about 5-10 pixels away from accidentally unpacking them all and contaminating them forever.

After screwing it up a few times, you train yourself to click extra carefully when doing that particular thing. But you kinda need to rack up a few hundred hours of logi to get to that point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Never blindly left click doing logistics.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The overall problem is this logi stuff has been building up for a long, long time with nothing said about it being worked on or even acknowledged as existing. The only change over time is ever more and more fiddly crap being bolted on to the system time after time. For enough people this was the frustration breaking point that something got organized. Lots of people just burn out and quit.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Yeah except the last two wars most logi went on break, so this strike hasn't done much at all, and it won't.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It got widespread coverage across gaming magazines, and that is something. It's probably the best they'll get, but it's significant IMHO.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Yes more press for the game to sell more copies, devs gonna give us trains and not fix anything

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I had a cool interface mishap happen today. The button for package artillery is right next to the Submit Large item button (i.e. load a shell into the gun) on the interface. Had just spent 4 mins as a two person team ranging the gun and now get to sit through a 8s uncancellable action as I slowly put the gun back into a shippable box :mad:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'd be happy to do logi if the rewards were commensurate to effort.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Kore_Fero posted:

I had a cool interface mishap happen today. The button for package artillery is right next to the Submit Large item button (i.e. load a shell into the gun) on the interface. Had just spent 4 mins as a two person team ranging the gun and now get to sit through a 8s uncancellable action as I slowly put the gun back into a shippable box :mad:

press V to submit quickly

Sometimes you drop it on the ground, so pick it back up, move slightly around to get into the submit spot, and then try again. You eventually get the hang of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Do logistics for us then, you at least a)know goons will use your stuff and b)effort is worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

skooma512 posted:

The reward is hours-long artillery bombardments. The other reward is commend farming. Drop off a full truck at a storage depot in a battle zone, watch the commends roll in.

Me, I find logi soothing, but I'm weird.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FYI, since this has not been mentioned too much here as it is a Discord focused thing but we are now working with a indie group of Warden clans who left WUH for being crusty/weird and seems to be working out great. Along with some goons from EVE who enjoy planning/diplomacy and the return to a decent amount of activity for us amusingly despite the LOGI thing in the background we've not been booming this well since September.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I played last night and it was pretty fun. Helped a handful of wardens defend a broken bridge near the pits from infantry sneaking across, then eventually with just one other dude. Also helped build a bunch of bunkers and poo poo nearer the bridge.

No idea if I was helpful, but I killed a lot of dudes. I also died a lot of times. How do I find goons?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Join either of the Goon discords and ask for an in-game invite.

https://discord.gg/8KapFpB - Goons in Foxholes. Join if you want to play Foxhole specifically. Wardens.
https://discord.gg/CC98Se4 - General war-games thread. Colonials, I think?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They stopped playing Foxhole in November I believe.

Some goons are Colonial but they are some in SPUD or 82DK, doing their own thing.

Also, tonight I heard a Captain player who was around in the early alpha days state he's never done logistics.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Ive done logi since the game came out. I was born in the jank, when trucks could kill you by looking at them. If you hopped out while the vehicle was still moving it would kill you. Fences would trap you on them, then bounce you into the air where you would explode, trapping all your cargo in the air. Bridges were near impossible to cross. TREES would suck you into their core and keep your truck for ever.

The game has improved a lot since then. Could it use improvement? Sure. Enough to bandwagon and try to force the devs hands by telling them all these people refuse to play until its fixed? eeeeeehhhh.

Games just like any jank game. Try not to take it too seriously, you might toil for 12 hours and have all that gone over night or in an instant. If thats something that could break you, try something else. There's lots of fun things to do in foxhole like : Being a medic, an elite sniper, a scout, builder, front line driver, trash truck recovery, quartermaster, navy, counter navy, arty, push arty, push at, at soldier, and more! For anything revolving around vehicles I would suggest getting two of your mates so you can squad lock ( AND LOCK ) them so they not only are locked for your little team but they become completely useless for anyone that steals them.

Did you have fun with the people you were playing with while doing it? Thats why I keep coming back every war.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Deadlands is now blue for the first time in what may feel like forever and the goonbase was the anvil on which the last Colonial grip in the region was shattered. We held the south deadlands flank, the initial days of the base were tenuous but our builders quickly made it stronger and we ferociously attacked, partisaned and generally destroyed anything that the enemy built near us to the point where they just stopped trying. The base was well maintained and other Warden ops were using it stage their own operations. Then the arty op above set off a chain of Warden gains as other groups in the region rolled through the Collie northern bases to the point where the only region still left for them was the one right next to goonbase which put us right into the sights of a Collie breakout attack. Artillery fell on our bunkers and the goonbase replied with its own AI 120mm guns. The base was well supplied and maintained, enough for local defence to hold until EU prime and early US to get on. The collie attack amounted to nothing and goonbase stood firm. Today the Wardens launched a huge attack on Brine Glen and we swept that town. We can honestly trace our little group's direct influence on what transpired in Deadlands in the last two days. Foxhole is pretty fun :)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If you are on the fence about getting involved I picked the game up two days ago and even only being able to play for about an hour at a time I have had a blast. My timezone doesn't really link up with goon ops so I haven't actually played with anyone here yet but I have found that the average pubbie is way better than I have found in other games.

Even if you just deploy to an active frontline, run to the front and make yourself useful you can have a lot of fun. I ended up manning a machine-gun at a chokepoint for about an hour last night while working with a pub squad and had a blast. They even ended up all commending me at the end which was really surprising. Motto for the game seems to be 'don't be a dick, don't get treated like a dick'. I was shocked they let a new, unranked player, jump on the big gun but it was a blast. I had a spotter, I pulped lots of greens and even at one point ended up holding this chokepoint alone while the rest of the squad were respawning and it felt super intense and exciting.

The emergent experiences here are pretty awesome. I am really excited for the next war and getting involved from the start.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MaxPowers posted:

Ive done logi since the game came out. I was born in the jank, when trucks could kill you by looking at them. If you hopped out while the vehicle was still moving it would kill you. Fences would trap you on them, then bounce you into the air where you would explode, trapping all your cargo in the air. Bridges were near impossible to cross. TREES would suck you into their core and keep your truck for ever.

The game has improved a lot since then. Could it use improvement? Sure. Enough to bandwagon and try to force the devs hands by telling them all these people refuse to play until its fixed? eeeeeehhhh.

Games just like any jank game. Try not to take it too seriously, you might toil for 12 hours and have all that gone over night or in an instant. If thats something that could break you, try something else. There's lots of fun things to do in foxhole like : Being a medic, an elite sniper, a scout, builder, front line driver, trash truck recovery, quartermaster, navy, counter navy, arty, push arty, push at, at soldier, and more! For anything revolving around vehicles I would suggest getting two of your mates so you can squad lock ( AND LOCK ) them so they not only are locked for your little team but they become completely useless for anyone that steals them.

Did you have fun with the people you were playing with while doing it? Thats why I keep coming back every war.

"I had to suffer so you should too" isn't quite the argument you think it is.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

yeah i just quit doing logi, i spend all my time boating crates from backline seaports closer to seaports closer to the front lines. First off they need to revamp everything related to sea ports and storage depos. I should be-able to internally fill a crate and have it pop out when its done. Add double the amount of pads to seaports. I had to wait like 15mins to unload my ironship at The Baths all i wanted was to go to bed.

tldr: try public pulling and filling a entire storage crate

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phrosphor posted:

If you are on the fence about getting involved I picked the game up two days ago and even only being able to play for about an hour at a time I have had a blast. My timezone doesn't really link up with goon ops so I haven't actually played with anyone here yet but I have found that the average pubbie is way better than I have found in other games.

Even if you just deploy to an active frontline, run to the front and make yourself useful you can have a lot of fun. I ended up manning a machine-gun at a chokepoint for about an hour last night while working with a pub squad and had a blast. They even ended up all commending me at the end which was really surprising. Motto for the game seems to be 'don't be a dick, don't get treated like a dick'. I was shocked they let a new, unranked player, jump on the big gun but it was a blast. I had a spotter, I pulped lots of greens and even at one point ended up holding this chokepoint alone while the rest of the squad were respawning and it felt super intense and exciting.

The emergent experiences here are pretty awesome. I am really excited for the next war and getting involved from the start.

Definitely get on the Discord and in Goon squad if you can. Even if you're way out of the timezone, you can still contribute by building/scrapping/QRF if people are jumping our base/etc.

Popy posted:

yeah i just quit doing logi, i spend all my time boating crates from backline seaports closer to seaports closer to the front lines. First off they need to revamp everything related to sea ports and storage depos. I should be-able to internally fill a crate and have it pop out when its done. Add double the amount of pads to seaports. I had to wait like 15mins to unload my ironship at The Baths all i wanted was to go to bed.

tldr: try public pulling and filling a entire storage crate

Ouch. Yeah trying to fill crates from public is a huge pain, and I would never try to fill a whole freighter that way. But my understanding of why public takes so long is to cut back on griefer alts, which unfortunately are a thing. And unfortunately the solution is to keep everything in private until the last mile delivery.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Alts can't grief supplies if making the supplies is such a pain no one want to do it!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Congratulations to GOON, V and CL working together to finally push the Colonials out of the war blasted Deadlands.

Now our next target for area operations is...Drowned Vale.

gently caress.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I mean, there's no rewards in this game. There's no XP, there's no points, there's no unlocks... at least when you're driving a truck to put things places you get to go "yeah, those things are now in the places I put them" while when fighting you honestly don't even know if you killed the guy you're shooting at.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I kind of like the fog of war stuff. I was driving in the far back fields the other day and a single tracer passed in front of my truck. I floored it andngot away, but wondered where the partisan was. How many were there? They must have been just outside of tower range, so it was probably a rifle? I enjoy the mystery.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2022

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I mean, there's no rewards in this game. There's no XP, there's no points, there's no unlocks... at least when you're driving a truck to put things places you get to go "yeah, those things are now in the places I put them" while when fighting you honestly don't even know if you killed the guy you're shooting at.

Well you can tell if you killed the guy certainly if you can at least see their pack drop in day fog of war or by checking activity log and rounding up the 100 damage you did to confirm this.

But murdering one random soldier is a mild inconvinience to the enemy war machine. So much more must be done.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

Volmarias posted:

"I had to suffer so you should too" isn't quite the argument you think it is.

That isnt the argument I was aiming for at all. I was aiming for that it was incredibly shittier than it is now. Nearly unplayable.

The requests on the logi union site may all look reasonable but are all things that would create crazy gameplay imbalances.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is there a good stream? I really like the narratives from this but am not in a position to commit time to playing cohesively

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
This guy has been doing a lot of Foxhole recently: https://twitch.tv/moidawg

This one does Foxhole + other stuff and is in with the devs (they give him early access to game updates so he can make THIS IS THE NEW & EXCITING THING! vids): https://twitch.tv/i_saw_a_bear

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

simplefish posted:

Is there a good stream? I really like the narratives from this but am not in a position to commit time to playing cohesively

moidawg isn't a terrible streamer, and he's on our faction. One of his clanmates is a goon (Barent). We worked with them a bit last war but they're in queue hell right now so while they're next door, we haven't seen 'em much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thanks