Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I think I am benefiting from the fact that there is no in game text chat at all that comes up on ps5. I don't get to see people typing angry poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I get frustrated playing this game often, but one of my best decisions was deciding I would (as killer) leave every match that had 3-4 PC players pop up, especially if they were at the same time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Medullah posted:

I get frustrated playing this game often, but one of my best decisions was deciding I would (as killer) leave every match that had 3-4 PC players pop up, especially if they were at the same time.

That's seriously 90%+ of my games though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BitBasher posted:

That's seriously 90%+ of my games though!

The fun part about killer (at least at my MMR) is you get instant pops so you can just keep dodging if you want.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
Just had my first very obvious hacker game. I was playing killer and obviously was being framed. Gens exploded every 2 seconds, the one person I hooked insta-died after that people I hit healed back to full. Eventually I just left and everyone pointed fingers at everyone else. Hopefully reporting it does something, but I don't have high hopes.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Hag rules, don't let people convince you otherwise. The bizarre framework people build up in this game over whats honorable (survivors winning) and what is ~cheap~ is really silly. Play Hag, run NOED, do whatever you want.

getting kills and having fun is what matters

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

rydiafan posted:

All this may be true, but in common usage "lolita" = sexy children. It may not be fair, but it is what it is. At this point you're shouting into the wind, like somebody defending the etymology of "niggardly".

big cummers ONLY posted:

This. Its one of those situations where being *technically* right doesn't matter. When people say "loli" in public chat for various games it is never, ever a reference to fashion.

It is very weird to dig in your heels so hard instead of just not using that word in your costume idea submission

I literally said this and admitted I understood the problem and would change it, I was just explaining to someone who didn't know what lolita is. :psyduck:

Tiny Myers posted:

And like, it's clear from this thread that not everybody knows all of that and I'm fine with that and the fact that it was removed from the DBD forums now. I'll just make some changes to make it clear she's wearing something very conservative and nonsexual (bloomers, for instance) and term it Harajuku Claudette or something.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've had people all caps screaming at me about my perks when I was using nonsense like Spies from the Shadows and no regression perks at all. Survivors in this game are psychotic

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

DeathChicken posted:

I've had people all caps screaming at me about my perks when I was using nonsense like Spies from the Shadows and no regression perks at all. Survivors in this game are psychotic

I got told to get cancer with Insidious, Pop, Barbecue and loving Dragon's Grip.

With no addons.

On Legion.

They sent me to Haddonfield and I got a 4k and I guess they weren't happy about that one lmao

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Why in gods name were you running Insidious and Dragon's Grip?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

Why in gods name were you running Insidious and Dragon's Grip?

It's really funny to kick the gen, wait nearby, then jump out and slap them when they try to get back on it.

I'm not expecting it to get kills, it's more for fun and giggles. I wholly entered that game intending to chill, only for them to bring me to Haddonfield.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Most survivors stink up Haddenfield unless they get the 2 story house loop. Badham is the new Haddenfield.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor daily, I have no desire to raise his MMR so I decided to let the last two go. They were clearly newbies, I was wandering around letting them work on gens and they kept missing skill checks. I say eff it and go AFK for 5 minutes. Come back just in time for them to finally get the gates powered. I walk over and open one of the gates, the Feng leaves. Walk over to the other gate and see this.

Whaddya think, "Thank you for letting us go" or teabagging?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

When i teabag maliciously i give em the butt side not the front side.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Front side tea bagging means mad respect dawg.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or it means they want to look at you while they do it, or they're cowards who plan on doing it until you make a move so they can retreat immediately. I'm sure it's a show of respect in DBD though, absolutely lol.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I slow walk and teabag when I want the Killer to know they’ve been a big whiny baby

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Just like those ones Dead Harding to pallets and then pointing are only out to show what good sports they are

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they're trying to let you know there's a pallet there so you don't get hurt, it's a polite thing to do

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of, had a game as Freddy on Midwich. Best perk I even have on Freddy is Devour Hope, so I was running Devour/Sloppy Butcher/Whispers/Shadowborn. Team ends up being three super optimal meta goons and then one person running whatever. Immediately I get a Claudette Dead Harding to pallets and pointing...then she somehow runs right into me around the next corner and drops before Dead Hard can recharge. End up killing one person in the end before the gates power (shockingly the one person *not* using Dead Hard/DS/Unbreakable/Healboon), then I catch one of the others napping before the doors open. Claudette and her buddy David swarm in for a rescue, I play swap swap and put David on the hook instead. Briefly considered camping him, then went nah, it's Midwich and both gates are close. So I go to one, no one there. Go to the other, Claudette and friend are healing. I go after them, they both Dead Hard out and leave David to die

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Been playing a lot of huntress lately and been a lot more succesful with her than my previous adventures with bubba

that being said I went up against what I'm pretty sure was a TTV swf where everyone but the TTV was a super efficient, really stealthy and good at looping, with boons

literally the only hooks I got that game were on the TTV, just could not convert anything to a hook. Felt sorry for the TTV because clearly, no one was willing to actually take a down for them

e; did record it, giving vague thoughts to posting it for feedback

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is it too late to get into dead by daylight? I am interested in but it seems like the game is so old that the meta is super established and all the little odds and ends have been optimized and I'll be absolutely wrecked. Is there any kind of skill based matchmaking?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Is it too late to get into dead by daylight? I am interested in but it seems like the game is so old that the meta is super established and all the little odds and ends have been optimized and I'll be absolutely wrecked. Is there any kind of skill based matchmaking?

A whole bunch of new players just started because they gave it away on Epic. Hop on board.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kwolok posted:

I only got into the game 12 months ago, there's a "meta" but it's not all encompassing, and there's lots of room on both killer and survivor side to weave together different perks in order to operate effectively.

I mean sure, there's crap perks and builds, but a well skilled player can go perkless and still win

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Kwolok posted:

You're behind the 8-ball for sure to unlock stuff n thangs, and BPs but its expected and worth it if its your cup of tea.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I got into the game when it was free on epic a couple months ago, I've been having a fun time playing killer, mostly winning, and only having a few bad experiences, which are outweighed by the nice end game chats and goofy moments. If you can have a bit of a thick skin about getting teabagged and not take it too seriously, play to improve instead of to win, I think it can be a good fun time.

e: There is skill based matchmaking but the parameters it looks for aren't really the best measurements of skill and it sometimes feels like it doesn't exist at all

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is everyone using the multiplayer goon discord? Seems there's a fair amount of newish players, we might be able to do some SWFing with.

Edit - I set up a discord just for some friends to play DBD and GTA, if the multiplayer one is too big for everyone.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Anybody else noticing super hosed up SBMM and queues lately?

Killer MM may as well be random no matter how many people I let go or kill, and survivor MM may as well be the same as far as the killers I get.

Meanwhile, survivor queues are literally 5 minutes or more and killer queues are <20 seconds.

Also jesus christ it is annoying when I let survivors heal in the gate but when I walk forward to get a token hit they walk through the gate before I can. What is even the point of making me chase you out like that. They KNOW everyone is safe in the gate because they're all standing right there, so it's not that.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 18, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

Anybody else noticing super hosed up SBMM and queues lately?

Killer MM may as well be random no matter how many people I let go or kill, and survivor MM may as well be the same as far as the killers I get.

Meanwhile, survivor queues are literally 5 minutes or more and killer queues are <20 seconds.

Also jesus christ it is annoying when I let survivors heal in the gate but when I walk forward to get a token hit they walk through the gate before I can. What is even the point of making me chase you out like that. They KNOW everyone is safe in the gate because they're all standing right there, so it's not that.

I'm getting either seal team 6 or complete newbies, literally nothing in between. Currently in a Doctor match wehre I'm trying to let them all go and they can't finish the gens haha

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Medullah posted:

I'm getting either seal team 6 or complete newbies, literally nothing in between. Currently in a Doctor match wehre I'm trying to let them all go and they can't finish the gens haha

I just had a match like this as Huntress on Lerys. Someone DC'd after getting downed pretty quickly, so I just wanted to do some target practice on the other survs, 2 hook them and let them go. I was trying to do some goofy stuff to signal my intent to farm, but they kept running, and didn't even get any gens done when I AFK'd for a couple minutes. I ended up having to hunt them all down in stealth just to get to the next match.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, because BHVR made playing killer punishing and unfun, so a bunch of people stopped playing killer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I am trying this game after the rec, but I literally cannot find a game as a survivor. it just looks for a match indefinitely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm running through killer challenges right now and just letting everyone go. It's oddly cathartic.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, because BHVR made playing killer punishing and unfun, so a bunch of people stopped playing killer.

No argument here, I completely agree. I used to be a killer main and the changes to killer are a large part of why that changed. I just can't help but notice that the matchmaking is horrible on both sides, when you'd expect at least one side might have a better time. I was wondering if people in other timezones/servers are having the same experience.

You'd expect for survivor side at least with the amount of people queueing up you'd get consistent teammates if nothing else, even if the killers don't match you. But no.

One game I'm getting For The People gamers with flashlights and a killer who's obviously below that level. I escape.
NO games inbetween.
Then I'm getting teammates who have super baby perks and a better-than-average killer.

Whatever the gently caress they did, it is honestly deeply broken and made things worse than they were before. :psyduck:

edit: God survivors are so cute sometimes and I wish I always got cute survivors. Got a 3k then waited by hatch. Had this Ace cautiously approach, put down his medkit, then crouch over and boop me before hopping in the hatch. I was on Plague. I think that's the first time I've ever had a Plague boop. :kimchi:

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 18, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What changed?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kwolok posted:

What changed?

Death by a thousand cuts. Skill-based matchmaking being a joke was a big factor (it pushes killers up faster than survivors, so on average killers are playing against superior survivors a lot of the time), boon totems are a massive pain in the rear end, they "fixed some bugs" in hit detection and Dead Hard which means you miss hits and grabs quite frequently, completely baffling nerfs to addons that were practically mandatory on already underwhelming killers etc.

Playing killer has just become more and more punishing over these past six months or so. It's not fun, especially when you also have to get poo poo and BM from survivors all the time.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Kwolok posted:

What changed?

Most recently? The addition of boon totems and the lag-change to Dead Hard. Those might not seem like much at first, but then you account for the fact that the perks that were added to keep survivors busy seem to eat up more killer time snuffing them instead in practice, and that genuinely 75% or so of survivors seem to run Dead Hard, and it's pretty significant.

EDIT: For clarity, it's really just Circle of Healing more so than boon perks in general. It takes 32 seconds to heal yourself with Self-Care normally, or 16 seconds for another survivor to heal you (so still 32 seconds, split across two people). Blessing a totem takes 14 seconds, and Circle of Healing doubles base healing speed, so it actually takes LESS time to bless a totem and then heal yourself in 16 seconds than it would be to heal normally or use Self-Care, and then you've still got the totem up for the whole team to use again and again or to waste the killer's time snuffing it as a bonus on top. It's really just plainly busted, to match that effectiveness on killer you'd have to make Coulrophobia map-wide instead of limited to your terror radius.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 18, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

What changed?
Pretty much what everyone else said, but also, the game has been tipped in survivors' favor for a while. Someone put it well a while back that a team of 1000-hour survivors is much more dangerous than a single 4000-hour killer. Part of that, I think, is that survivors have identical kits and killers can be vastly different, so practice on Ace will transfer over to Jane but practice on Trapper won't really transfer over to Nurse, but survivors' mistakes are also less punishing because the entire team cushions the blow. Killer, on the other hand, it can be incredibly stressful to make a mistake because it's 4 times as punishing. Any remotely organized team can be curtains for a killer that doesn't get ahead of gens.

The game also is balanced around the idea that every survivor is playing solo. SWF (survive with friends, the term for being in a group with other survivors) throws that out of whack. Especially because most SWF groups are on voice chat. Even a 2-man has an advantage - if you're being chased by the killer, you can tell your team "okay, stick to gens, he's busy" and they never have to worry about the threat of the killer until you go down. Not only that, but your perks become your team's perks. If you can see everyone with Kindred, you can communicate that information to your team over voice even if they don't have Kindred on. Same with Empathy, Bond, Dark Sense, whatever other aura reading perk. You can call out what perks the killer is using, who the killer is, where they are, all on demand.

BHVR is only just now admitting this is a problem and starting to make plans to balance around it. Even when the matchmaking is doing its job, you can suddenly be put against a team that's way stronger because they have the benefit of voice chat, especially if you're playing a killer that's very weak against organized communication, like Legion or Myers. On top of the other things, it's just been a very frustrating time to play killer.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 18, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

The re is skill based matchmaking but the parameters it looks for aren't really the best measurements of skill and it sometimes feels like it doesn't exist at all

Medullah posted:

The fun part about killer (at least at my MMR) is you get instant pops so you can just keep dodging if you want.

This is correct, and I wouldn't have thought of it!

I have now adopted the strategy of shuffling a lobby back into the deck if 3 or more PC players pop simultaneously. It's honestly worked great for my enjoyment of the game, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I really don't get the blood web. So like the survivor I have has three shared perks but I only see one in the blood web?