Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Golden Goat posted:

God that dumb segment where you break into Rose tower because Leon missed your dinner appointment.

Huh, Leon never misses dinner at home...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
X and Y's story is also pretty weak and I'm not trying to hold it up as a pinnacle of pokemon writing or anything. But all the stuff with N and releasing pokemon was bad because it got a lot of screentime but they didn't go anywhere with it, it just got kind of forgotten about. If you're going to undermine the premise of the setting you need to go all in, otherwise it's better not to touch it at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You get cutscenes every few minutes in the first 3 hours of XY about how mysterious Mega Evolution is, and how everyone has to work together to research it.
Then you get to the third gym and a girl in rollerblades goes "yeah, the tower about mega evolution is right over there. Everybody uses megas."

BW's story is great. Like. I can understand not enjoying it, but they do go all in. Every aspect is about how you should actually think about what a pokemon journey is; adults keep talking about it as if it were summer camp, or like where they gave up. Cheren and Bianca are in opposite ends of the playerbase, one's a purist trying to just be the best and complete the pokedex while the other just wants to catch cute pokemon and explore the world. Plasma's takes are undermined almost immediately, but the gym leaders do immediately go "these guys are full of poo poo, but there is a point to be made about how we interact with pokemon." and work off of that. It's a pretty good story about coming together as a community and figuring out how to improve society, and how the 8 gyms and elite 4 stuff's silly.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I've played since RB first hit, and BW has my favorite story in a Pokémon game simply because it feels like the first time anyone in the games actually sat down and thought about the machinations that make the Pokémon world work.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Larryb posted:

Yeah, in BDSP you can get a free Jirachi if you have SwSh save data on your Switch and a Mew if you have Let’s Go save data.

There's a nonzero chance I'm going to buy let's go to get a mew

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Count me in on RBY first, BW best, with the addendum that BW will probably never be surpassed because Game Freak isn’t about that anymore

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh yeah, i'm also RBY first and BW best. I replayed the gen 5 games a couple years ago, and they're just terrific.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MorningMoon posted:

the gym leaders do immediately go "these guys are full of poo poo, but there is a point to be made about how we interact with pokemon." and work off of that

See that’s that thing: they say “Ah yes, you’ve really given me a lot to think about” but it doesn’t go anywhere. Presumably they conclude the status quo is fine, because the game doesn’t end with anything changing, but it’s not even really refuted so much as it is ignored.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

See that’s that thing: they say “Ah yes, you’ve really given me a lot to think about” but it doesn’t go anywhere. Presumably they conclude the status quo is fine, because the game doesn’t end with anything changing, but it’s not even really refuted so much as it is ignored.

On the other hand Gen 5 ends with you wrassling dragons with the new king of everything right before you beat up his dad and they’ve never done a cooler setpiece

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Been going since the glitchy beginnings, but BW remains my favorite. People have already spoken about the story and characters, so I won’t repeat that, but what it does that no other has yet is give a full DEX of all new Pokémon. We were in a new location with all the old tried and true left behind and just had to deal with it. It was a truly fresh new location because of that.

The only negative was that the starters were all pretty terrible. Snivy and Tepig specifically were inferior to easily found Grass (Liligant) and Fire (Darmanitan). Oshawott only escaped that because Water-types were so rare in Unova.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

It's a perennial problem with the series, really. It's been a decade since I played Black through but I assume they resolved that everything is fine if you treat your pokemon with love and kindness. And that's basically the theme of all the games, you're told you're a great trainer because of the bond of love and friendship with all your pokemon. But the games barely support that; while gen 6 onwards did start adding mechanics to actually do some amount of bonding with them it still mostly amounts to grinding a number up.

Huh, maybe this is part of why Nuzlocke is such a popular challenge run. It really does encourage you to bond with your team since they aren't replacable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

There's a nonzero chance I'm going to buy let's go to get a mew

Rent or borrow. It's only checking for save data...does that mean you can just put some on your SD card?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Rent or borrow. It's only checking for save data...does that mean you can just put some on your SD card?

Pretty sure that’s the case, yeah

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

For a children's story it felt like it was enough. The main point being to contrast that attitude with Cheren and Alder who dismissed the idea right away, and then we spend the story with Cheren realizing his worldview isn't perfect and needs to change, while Alder has to face reality and realize he's not as great as he pretends to be.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Geostomp posted:

Snivy and Tepig specifically were inferior to easily found Grass (Liligant) and Fire (Darmanitan). Oshawott only escaped that because Water-types were so rare in Unova.

Snivy is literally the reason why I never finished BW. I picked them and got to the point where it was around mid-30s in lvl and still losing consistently in fights to enemies that were mid-20s. Just not a fun starter to play with and completely turned me off from that gen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gen 5 is the best gen but it also has the worst starters. I've played through BW1 four times and the correct way is to ditch your starter ASAP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Heroine88 posted:

Snivy is literally the reason why I never finished BW. I picked them and got to the point where it was around mid-30s in lvl and still losing consistently in fights to enemies that were mid-20s. Just not a fun starter to play with and completely turned me off from that gen.

Maybe...use more Pokemon? You have six slots for a reason, you know. BW is the first game that actually wants you to have a full team, even, thanks to the significantly improved exp curve that gives more exp to lower level Pokemon.

Can't say much about Snivy though, it's the only starter I didn't use. I used Oshawott in my BW run and Tepig in my B2W2 run since I had a mono-Fire team there (first game that actually gave you enough Fire types to do one without repeating or trading! So nice...even had top-tier Fire types like Arcanine, Darmanitan and Victini!)

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I started in Gen1, but my favorite was gen 4 (gen 5 is a close second). The "level curve" problems never bothered me, getting blown out by a stronger opponent kicks rear end. I wish it happened more often, or at least that there was an option you could enable to make it happen. That is, without jumping through weird hoops or using self-imposed rules.

MorningMoon posted:

Gen 5 is the best gen but it also has the worst starters. I've played through BW1 four times and the correct way is to ditch your starter ASAP.

It's a shame. Every gen 4 starter is a pokemon I would catch and use if it was found in the wild, but I don't think I've used any gen 5 starter past the first half of the gyms. I don't know if gen 5 would overtake gen 4 as my favorite if it's starters were on the same level, but it'd definitely be a lot closer.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I was 7 when Gen 2 came out so I got Silver and Blue at the same time, but of course Gen 5 is the best, it has a great intro with BW and then my favourite in the series in B2W2. Sequels is where it's at for "third versions". And hey how about making the games good to begin with so you don't need third versions to fix all the stupid problems and bizarre decisions.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I played blue when I was too young to really read. My dad helped me through a lot of it, but then I got stuck at where you had to wake up snorlax so I just gave up there.

To this day I do not know how my dad knew how to get the cut HM.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Good news. I had to check how it was in BDSP first, but Legends will finally have Cyndaquil's fire on all the time in battle instead of just for attack animations. If it can't be on all the time, this is good enough I feel. The fire effect is also more high quality than BDSP.

https://twitter.com/poke_times/status/1483363753739624451

I dunno if I just hadn't seen longer clips from battle game play yet or what, but I'm honestly a little disappointed that it doesn't seem that different from traditional battles.

Pokémon still just kinda sit there idly until a command is issued.

I just expected something a little more dynamic?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Played gens 1-7 and 5 ended up my least favorite. I don't hate the idea of a region with nothing but new stuff in the campaign but BW's roster definitely felt bloated with direct translations of gen 1 monsters that just... weren't done well enough while all the actually interesting stuff doesn't start showing up until past the fifth gym. That and a load of legendaries that just do not hit for me at all

Gen 6 otoh has basically zero misses for me, and for all that kalos ended up lacking its still my most replayed pokemon game just for variety and megas

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pory_leeks/status/1483538466432380930

The flood gates are open for spoilers. Someone on Facebook doxxed themselves but it looks like one of the communities looking to leak the game got in contact.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, I've already stumbled upon early story screenshots. I had hoped to only see if the rumored starter forms were real, but maybe I should just cut out now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As of right now that's just where they are. The usual "hey pick a Pokemon" stuff. Without a dataminer having access to the game there won't be any fancy images of just the Pokedex, though I suspect it will be known well before launch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/pory_leeks/status/1483538466432380930

The flood gates are open for spoilers. Someone on Facebook doxxed themselves but it looks like one of the communities looking to leak the game got in contact.

First thing I see is a william dafoe quote. I am excited for Legends Arceus again.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Dehry posted:

As of right now that's just where they are. The usual "hey pick a Pokemon" stuff. Without a dataminer having access to the game there won't be any fancy images of just the Pokedex, though I suspect it will be known well before launch.

Yeah, that was my bad. I thought we were at the datamine stage, but we're at the "person taking photos on their phone" stage.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doing this on Twitter and putting your own watermark on every photo so you can't even dismiss it in court, Nintendo's going to sue this one into oblivion :laugh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can we have spoiler tags until the game is released, at least?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I dunno if I just hadn't seen longer clips from battle game play yet or what, but I'm honestly a little disappointed that it doesn't seem that different from traditional battles.

Pokémon still just kinda sit there idly until a command is issued.

I just expected something a little more dynamic?

I think it's fine since it revamps the battle system but it is still familiar. That said, I don't know how long the system will stick around or if it'll make it into the next gen main line games since the move queue would be difficult to implement for multiplayer battles.

Really, I'm more stoked that the battles take place in the overworld and that transitions into and out of battles appear to be faster since there are no transitions to and from the battle arena. Between all the animation and text between initiating a battle to finally making a selection can get pretty annoying and aggravating especially when constantly running into wild Pokemon that I never intended to run into and just want to run away from. Between an apparently larger and less confining overworld, not as dense Pokemon distribution, and not needing to initiate a battle when you run into a Pokemon, it looks like Legends will largely solve this issue. It'll also probably make the game feel more immersive by eliminating the battle transitions and the need to battle for every interaction.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh, Leon never misses dinner at home...

Leon never vomits at home...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hammerite posted:

Leon never vomits at home...

Leon never participates in poorly thought out villainous schemes at home...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saoshyant posted:

Doing this on Twitter and putting your own watermark on every photo so you can't even dismiss it in court, Nintendo's going to sue this one into oblivion :laugh:

If they're not breaking an NDA or anything I don't think there's anything Nintendo can sue them for. They can certainly threaten them with legal action though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah I too hope the multi billion dollar corporation really ruins this person for...playing the game a few days early and posting screenshots. It'll be so funny.

You freak.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RatHat posted:

If they're not breaking an NDA or anything I don't think there's anything Nintendo can sue them for. They can certainly threaten them with legal action though

Yeah, IIRC they went after some SwSh leaker that they were actually able to track down thanks to a reposter taking pictures that included discord icons or something. But what they went at the leaker with was something about the leaks doing irreparable damage to the IP or some bullshit like that.

Wait, I was dumb! That person just got their poo poo deleted because Nintendo told discord to. Some guys posted pages from the SwSh strategy guide and had to pai 150K each
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...gon%20reported.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

From the leaks it looks like the game goes immediately into time travel fuckery, so I suspect we're getting Home integration a couple months after launch. Which was expected, of course, but given how little we actually KNOW about the game, it's good to know they've built in a story mechanic that works since they seem to love that sort of stuff. Just so long as it's not tedious as gently caress like the BWB2W2 Poké Transfer system.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Leaks are badass

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Leaks are badass
:hai:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Post the cooler leak nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Not to speak for Saoshyant but I think they're looking forward to the schadenfreude of someone doing something without considering the consequences, doing nothing to protect themselves and in some cases makes their situation worse, and then inevitably getting hit with the consequences.

As for the leaker, I'm not sure if they're brazen, oblivious, or stupid. Probably some combination of.