Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Also not helping the catacombs situation for new players is that skeletons are low level trash enemies in nearly every video game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Blaziken386 posted:

the catacombs being a mid-late game area that you can access early is simply a funny prank that dark souls plays on you, as a joke

other jokes include "the resistance stat" and "faith spells"

when you think about it, dark souls is really just a comedy game

Faith owns in DS1.Tranquil Walk of Peace and Wrath of the Gods is one of the most OP combos in the game. Karmic Justice is dank too, infuse a high stability shield with any element to get the physical absorption under 100% (but still above 95%). Then of course Lightning bolts for PVE.

Its still alright in DS2 and in DS3 it's situational but definitely underrated: The Sunlight Straight Sword has Oath of Sunlight for a WA which is a 11.5% damage buff and stacks with Lightning Blade. Combine with the OP DS3 SS moveset and your damage is ridiculous. Another option is using the Sunlight Talisman L2, which casts your miracles but with full DS1 style poise, with Lightning Stake, for a devastating AOE.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the biggest issue with the aqueduct is just that it doesn't look, physically, like the main path. It's narrow and seems a bit off to the side. I recall that it felt like I was skirting around the side the first time I played it. I think I was already luxuriating over the fantastic thread OP before I was out of the undead asylum and it had a banner warning about which way to go.

Seriously tho, SA OPs have replaced instruction booklets for "things I read before playing to build excitement."

Edit: assuming you can heal and buff your Summons I'm ER I plan to go summon and faith and play a d&D cleric.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: assuming you can heal and buff your Summons I'm ER I plan to go summon and faith and play a d&D cleric.

This is my plan too. Heavy armour, with a focus on summoning.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think the biggest issue with the aqueduct is just that it doesn't look, physically, like the main path. It's narrow and seems a bit off to the side. I recall that it felt like I was skirting around the side the first time I played it. I think I was already luxuriating over the fantastic thread OP before I was out of the undead asylum and it had a banner warning about which way to go.

Seriously tho, SA OPs have replaced instruction booklets for "things I read before playing to build excitement."

I missed that route multiple times as I was exploring and getting crushed in the catacombs.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AlternateNu posted:

Any known differences between PS4 vs PS5 version of Elden Ring outside of resolution/frame rate? My chances of snagging a 5 within the next month are practically nil, but if they're some clear reason I should be playing on a 5, I'm willing to wait.
lance mcdonald did a video running the game on a base PS4, not even a PS4 pro, and it seems to run okay? 30fps instead of 60, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEypd23I0pQ

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are network tests usually indicative of release performance? I wouldn’t think so

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

hatty posted:

Are network tests usually indicative of release performance? I wouldn’t think so

iirc DS2 network test ran with the lighting engine that got gutted before final release

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
DS2's Network Test had almost exactly the same lightmap for the area it was in compared to the final release, it also had some additional dynamic shadows and some rather strong ambient occlusion, both of which were toned down for release (the shadows presumably for performance reasons, AO might be for the same reason but kinda looked like an eyesore either way).

There were legitimately playable builds of the game with vastly different lighting put together for Gamescom in places like Drangleic Castle, so they obviously managed to get it working for some locations, at least in builds where they could just pluck you in a single area with no regards for interconnectivity.

Anyway, considering how close we are to the release of Elden Ring and the fact that the graphics profile of the game has been consistent in more or less all showings so far (it doesn't look far removed from Sekiro visually), I really don't think we will see dramatic changes at release. Possibly some tweaking in settings on some console platforms to squeeze in better performance and some code optimization. I might be completely wrong, but I feel like almost all of the Network Tests have been very consistent with the final game in terms of visual profile, and performance usually only got a bit better but wasn't hugely different. Even Dark Souls 2 I feel fits that pattern.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There were legitimately playable builds of the game with vastly different lighting put together for Gamescom in places like Drangleic Castle, so they obviously managed to get it working for some locations, at least in builds where they could just pluck you in a single area with no regards for interconnectivity.

I feel like the original lighting either wasn't running on a stock PS3, or was pure trickery for very specific scenes. It didn't matter much to me, and I'm glad they dropped the dumb torch thing in the end, but I remember the usual silly rumblings of fraud when the actual game didn't look like that. I didn't notice any difference between the network test and the same area in the full game but I wasn't really looking for subtle lighting changes.

Nothing is going to look technically amazing when every dev has to account for four different consoles. We're stuck in limbo until the old generation can die.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wish they'd have done more with the lighting for SotFS. Not re-implemented the original torch mechanics or anything, but it seems like when they dropped that system, they just kind of raised the ambient light level of all the interior spaces so that everything is just kind of at a dull half-light all the time, which makes it look super flat, rather than going through and relighting all the individual areas with dynamic or baked lighting. Moving exclusively to the PS4 generation would have been a good opportunity to give it another pass.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
They'll have plenty of opportunities to fix the lighting and more when they release DS2 remastered

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
According to Zullie the Witch, at least, DS2 was originally intended for PS4/Xbox One, with no PS3/360 version at all, and Bandai Namco changed the release plans. I honestly don't know if I believe that- it would certainly explain a lot, but it's also completely consistent with DS2's development to come up with a graphical/lighting system that was never going to work on its target platforms.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I honestly find that surprising because even the best looking areas of DS2 don't even hold a candle to Bloodborne.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bad textures and stuff would be hidden by all the darkness. Dark is the mother of all. All things were born from it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Phobophilia posted:

I honestly find that surprising because even the best looking areas of DS2 don't even hold a candle to Bloodborne.

Shaders and lighting are a utterly massive part of things looking good. It’s also really easy to down res textures if you’re in a rush and looking for just “good enough”

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 also got around their crappy textures with copious bloom.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

I'm very curious to see how these summons go, and the aesthetic of heavy armor is always nice.

Oh, hurmn, do we know if heavy armor, uh, works? In ER?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm very curious to see how these summons go, and the aesthetic of heavy armor is always nice.

There was a heavy set with magic resists in the test, so there will presumably be some heavy rear end plate somewhere. Your horse ignores movement restrictions and you have infinite stamina outside of combat so really it's just whether you want to blow a ton of points in Strength to carry the heavy stuff. I'd imagine this cuts out casters, predictably enough. Summons are items, so I guess if you stacked Strength/Endurance/Mind you'd have lots of resists and plenty of FP to summon.

Now whether or not heavy armor lets you facetank to avoid dodging... I wouldn't bet on it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Don't recall where or who or whatever but I understand er does things to make heavy armour and high weight useful to tower shield and big gear player.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

codo27 posted:

If you want to get your combat reflexes sharp for ER, theres a game I just discovered coming out in a few weeks called Sifu on PS & PC (epic store). its a roguelike beat em up with the craziest looking combat I've ever seen, basically lets you fight like John Wick or some poo poo. Its a power trip akin to Doom but with hand to hand combat. Check it out

Trailer reminds me of the Oldboy corridor fight scene.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are we going to be able to play co-op from start to finish with a friend (or two friends?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bardeh posted:

Are we going to be able to play co-op from start to finish with a friend (or two friends?)

I think they've simplified co-op quite a bit this go round so it should be possible!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CottonWolf posted:

Heads up that there are areas, and bosses, you can't use summons in.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I guess I'll just blindly struggle through those then, wildly swinging a sword. The classic first souls playthrough experience.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I’m going to miss the old lady that giggles and sells you items from ashes.

ASHEN ONE … (mashes button through dialogue) HEH HEH HEH…

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Ichabod Tane posted:

I’m going to miss the old lady that giggles and sells you items from ashes.

ASHEN ONE … (mashes button through dialogue) HEH HEH HEH…

Ashen one...
I...
I...
Ashen one...

Fire keeper was secretly the ashen one all along

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm same but dark souls 2 belongs in the dark souls 3 tier imho

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:thejoke: is that that's just the release order, yeah?

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.

Cavauro posted:

the bad textures and stuff would be hidden by all the darkness. Dark is the mother of all. All things were born from it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jack B Nimble posted:

:unsmigghh:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

where's deracine?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Almost got me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

where's deracine?

Begins with a de, therefore it is Demon’s Souls

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
currently playing DS1 for the first time (first FromSoft game for me). my only regret is that i slept on these brilliant games for far too long

probably won't be getting this at launch, hopefully by the time i'm ready for it PS5s will be available at some kind of reasonable price

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

do you think sekiro doesn't belong in the sekiro tier? i mean respect your opinion but i just don't agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do you really need this explained for you