Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Lone Badger posted:

You're confusing the CIA with the cops. They'd send the child to a third-world country to be tortured and executed there.

They might instal you as president of a SA country.

So it’s really 50/50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"I have Information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton" I say as the world's first six year old time traveler to be domed by a CIA operative

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1482849285658058756?t=D4SM24OfCEexxKkCGjkBgQ&s=19

This is the real version of this time travel hypothetical I wanna see.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

That TNG episode where Picard undoes that bar fight was real dumb. You're captain of the Federation's flagship and you have a cool bar fight story! What more do you want? Barclay or Geordie probably could have used that do over.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Jan 18, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you need to prevent 9/11 through time travel, just contact eleven-year-old Vífill Atlason in Akranes, Iceland, who inexplicably has the secret direct-to-president phone number. Make sure you know basic-rear end wikipedia level knowledge about the president of iceland (birthday, place of birth, parents names and date entering office), and you're past security, impersonating a world leader, and talking to Bush.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tunicate posted:

If you need to prevent 9/11 through time travel, just contact eleven-year-old Vífill Atlason in Akranes, Iceland, who inexplicably has the secret direct-to-president phone number. Make sure you know basic-rear end wikipedia level knowledge about the president of iceland (birthday, place of birth, parents names and date entering office), and you're past security, impersonating a world leader, and talking to Bush.

Why would you tell Bush? He'd already know

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Everyone's talking about defending against the 9/11 attacks. Just go kill Bin Laden.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
blow up the towers yourself in the name of capitalism, turn the US hegemony against itself and usher in communism by 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

blow up the towers yourself in the name of capitalism, turn the US hegemony against itself and usher in communism by 2020

What in tarnation makes you think that people would give a poo poo about capitalism killing thousands of people?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Forget 9/11. I'd stop the Lewinsky scandal (by sucking him off instead and exposing him as a pedophile).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
To prevent 9/11 you'd need to make sure the President got a specific warning beforehand. You'd have to make sure it was in writing, you'd have to mention something about hijacking planes, you'd have to make sure he had enough time to act on it--at least around 5 weeks--and you'd have to make sure to mention Bin Ladin by name.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The most realistic scenario is you manage to save the towers and Iraq get invaded anyway.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

To prevent 9/11 you'd need to make sure the President got a specific warning beforehand. You'd have to make sure it was in writing, you'd have to mention something about hijacking planes, you'd have to make sure he had enough time to act on it--at least around 5 weeks--and you'd have to make sure to mention Bin Ladin by name.

Maybe title your report "Al Qaeda determined to attack on US soil"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
go back in time to post "watch bush start a loving war" and be a forums legend

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

thecluckmeme posted:

"I have Information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton" I say as the world's first six year old time traveler to be domed by a CIA operative

That we know of! :tinfoil:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well, I’m back.

Inceltown posted:

Maybe title your report "Al Qaeda determined to attack on US soil"

gently caress

I used the title “Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US”.

It still worked, right?

Right?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/carlanotarobot/status/1483120015855529988?s=21

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is this the Tiger King people keep talking about?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

John Lee posted:

I mean, possibly? Look up details of declassified CIA or FBI documents before you go, then be a weird kid who walks into some government building and starts talking about currently-classified details until you get a very worried and suspicious meeting with someone, then work your way up the increasingly-alarmed chain.

I always thought no one would believe you, until you get something right and then point out that you're probably not the only one who went back. What would the Politburo do when they find out that the organization won't exist past '91 or so?

Me? I'm going back and starting a comedy web page and semi-attached web forum so I can get the lowest reg date. Maybe get a girl friend this time...well, I'm sure you can guess how that went.

See you in the next time line.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oh poo poo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Bruce_Cares/status/1482749225490432000?t=roSn6wUKKtMHs0R7iUm5tA&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: my bad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Beartaco posted:

Does anyone have any good fiction recommendations about the morality of time travel? Like folks here have pointed out, going back to when you were 6 would technically involve the genocide of billions of people even if nobody realised it's happened.
qntm's Ed stories touch pretty heavily on it by the end. 's the "Introductory Antimemetics" author.

Anyway, I'd invest everything in Google as soon as possible in 2004 then do everything I could to use bitcoin to ensure Musk wouldn't be a factor post-2015.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1483451538567835648?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/guydebort/status/1483200490796109826?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m confused are you going back in time with anything?

If it’s just you but six you all extremely overrate what you can actually do

I wasn't 6 in September 2001. If I made sure to look up the flight numbers of the hijacked planes and when they took off, I'm pretty sure I could make enough phone calls that those got grounded with the hijackers on board and then they would get arrested when it was discovered they snuck box cutters on the plane.

And then the twin towers would fall down because the thermite bombs Bush JR personally put in the basements still go off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure you can’t but this is a weird power fantasy so the make believe is part of the fun

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Encyclopedia Brown Outwits/Saves The Pentagon

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Some dumb motherfuckers in this thread.

I'd book a hotel with a great view of the twin towers and have a raging party with my buddies cheering on Hulk Hogan as he smashes the towers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m pretty sure you can’t but this is a weird power fantasy so the make believe is part of the fun

I don't think it'd be that hard to ground 4 different flights for at least long enough for airport security to figure out these guys snuck box cutters on a plane if you know about it before hand. Like, I don't know, but I bet I could figure out the individual seats they were at least assigned and their names are public knowledge. I'm not gonna try, because it would end up with me going to jail , but I'm pretty sure I could make a single phone call with minimal research and get a flight grounded for at least a couple hours.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I would use my timetraveler lottery winnings to buy up all the emergency/rescue supplies in the city the week before so I could sell them back for 10x the price

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it'd be that hard to ground 4 different flights for at least long enough for airport security to figure out these guys snuck box cutters on a plane if you know about it before hand. Like, I don't know, but I bet I could figure out the individual seats they were at least assigned and their names are public knowledge. I'm not gonna try, because it would end up with me going to jail , but I'm pretty sure I could make a single phone call with minimal research and get a flight grounded for at least a couple hours.

Do you know this info now or are we assuming this Would You Rather tweet comes with prep time like a Batman vs Goku discussion?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't 6 in September 2001. If I made sure to look up the flight numbers of the hijacked planes and when they took off, I'm pretty sure I could make enough phone calls that those got grounded with the hijackers on board and then they would get arrested when it was discovered they snuck box cutters on the plane.

And then the twin towers would fall down because the thermite bombs Bush JR personally put in the basements still go off.

I’m pretty sure you were allowed to bring box cutters on flights before 2001. There were tons of things you could do that you can’t do now.
You’d have a better chance calling in bomb threats, which is what people were worried about at the time.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

This game is called KingSpray and it rules

You have 5 or 6 different locations you can paint at, there is a multiplayer aspect that im afraid to try because of my skills but its lots of fun. I can put on a podcast and just paint a wall whenever.

yammer warning on this video but I do show you how it all kinda works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMONaEQFIUI

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Lobok posted:

Do you know this info now or are we assuming this Would You Rather tweet comes with prep time like a Batman vs Goku discussion?

can't we PLEASE just stick to what this thread does best: arguing over whether you could beat up 20 six year olds, or a six month old bear, or who would win in a fight--20 six year olds or a six month old bear, etc.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A major reason 3/4 hijackings were so successful is that the passengers and crew assumed the hijackers would fly the plane to one airport or another and negotiate for something and therefore didn't put up survival resistance and also the flight deck doors were unlockable from the outside. The real move (which would make a good time travel comedy) would be to fake a 9/11 to change the mindset about hijackings.

If you were a kid when 9/11 happened, you might be able to put in enough anonymous tips about the hijackers that gets their computers seized and uncovers the plan.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

theflyingexecutive posted:

A major reason 3/4 hijackings were so successful is that the passengers and crew assumed the hijackers would fly the plane to one airport or another and negotiate for something and therefore didn't put up survival resistance and also the flight deck doors were unlockable from the outside. The real move (which would make a good time travel comedy) would be to fake a 9/11 to change the mindset about hijackings.

If you were a kid when 9/11 happened, you might be able to put in enough anonymous tips about the hijackers that gets their computers seized and uncovers the plan.

ZIGGY, I HIJACKED THE PLANE BUT I HAVEN'T LEAPED YET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/bear_wrongdoer/status/1483040853937602561?s=20

https://twitter.com/egg_dog/status/1483354886603476995?s=20

https://twitter.com/The_Ada_Rhodes/status/1483174667829530626?s=20

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ZIGGY, I HIJACKED THE PLANE BUT I HAVEN'T LEAPED YET

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1482805586995687431?s=20