Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Polo-Rican posted:

I started playing through metroid dread and one thing specifically is really bugging me (I'm a little over 2 hours in): the way they'll plop rubble, debris, a weird plant, etc, in random hallways to actively prevent you from going back and exploring when you get a new item. I understand wanting to guide the player, and wanting the player to not waste hours backtracking before they should; but they went a little too far with it in this one imho

This really pissed me off and it didn’t occur to me until after I’d beaten it that I could have just marked those spots on my map manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You need a western studio to make Metroid these days. When was the last time an actual, honest to god GOOD japanese Metroid was made? Fusion? and even then Metroid nerds hate that one. This is why Prime and Dread are the goats

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

worms butthole guy posted:

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask ) I dont play gaijin developed Metroid games; I just don't think they understand Metroid. I was more looking towards Smash Brothers!

You mean the Best Action/Adventure Game of 2021 but go off, sport.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Yes I definitely want to be tied to the internet in order to play my portable Role Playing games thanks square

Yeah, not entirely sure why they’re doing it this way honestly. Maybe I could see it for the more graphically intensive titles like 0.2 and KH3 but I’m pretty sure the Switch could handle running a couple PS2 games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Larryb posted:

Yeah, not entirely sure why they’re doing it this way honestly. Maybe I could see it for the more graphically intensive titles like 0.2 and KH3 but I’m pretty sure the Switch could handle running a couple PS2 games.

The HD ports of Kingdom Hearts were made from the ground up since they lost the PS2 source code or some poo poo. So thats probably why they're streaming for switch since it would probably run like rear end there unless they like developed it for the switch specifically. Might as well go the cloud route to not have to spend all those resources porting the whole collection.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The HD ports of Kingdom Hearts were made from the ground up since they lost the PS2 source code or some poo poo. So thats probably why they're streaming for switch since it would probably run like rear end there unless they like developed it for the switch specifically. Might as well go the cloud route to not have to spend all those resources porting the whole collection.

Makes sense. Well according to the tweet there’s apparently a few demos available now if anyone wants to see how well the games are going to run.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

When this was first announced people were crying "lmao Nintendo! Switch is so underpowered!!" which was funny because Doom Eternal runs on the Switch. This is 100% just Square being super lazy and greedy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last time JP tried developing Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOefFfxBNJg

(we did get Fusion which was cool)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the Cyclops shield upgrade, just flashing it on/off will discourage the leeches and you'll have zero power concerns once you plug in that thermal reactor upgrade into the Cyclops because it's ALL hot water in the lava zone.

yeah i had that plugged in, I just left it unattended for a long time!

and I want to make the reactor but the materials I need require the one thing I haven't been able to locate, the prawn drill arm

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I started playing through metroid dread and one thing specifically is really bugging me (I'm a little over 2 hours in): the way they'll plop rubble, debris, a weird plant, etc, in random hallways to actively prevent you from going back and exploring when you get a new item. I understand wanting to guide the player, and wanting the player to not waste hours backtracking before they should; but they went a little too far with it in this one imho

This unfortunately never stops until literally the very end of the game and is a huge part of why I didn't find Dread to be that amazing and don't really get the hype. There's a pretty interesting video about it (that definitely has spoilers, so maybe watch it after you beat it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pop-cc9kmY

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

You need a western studio to make Metroid these days. When was the last time an actual, honest to god GOOD japanese Metroid was made? Fusion? and even then Metroid nerds hate that one. This is why Prime and Dread are the goats

Vintersorg posted:

Last time JP tried developing Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOefFfxBNJg

(we did get Fusion which was cool)

The problem with Other M isn't that white people didn't make them game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Willo567 posted:

The problem with Other M isn't that white people didn't make them game

yeah the problem is that sakamoto had no idea how to make a good metroid game or what makes one good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sakamoto to can’t write good dialog and should stick to producing Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

yeah the problem is that sakamoto had no idea how to make a good metroid game or what makes one good

Your post suggested that the problem isn't Sakamoto, but the fact that the studio making the game wasn't a Western one.

I want to make it clear that I'm in not way trying to defend Sakamoto or Other M in any way

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 18, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't mind getting guided a bit. Like yeah you cant initially go back in some places but you get ways around the blockages before long.

Like, the worst part of goty Hollow Knight was getting a power and having to wander the entire map to find out where you're supposed to go. Wasted so much time doing that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hatty posted:

Yes I definitely want to be tied to the internet in order to play my portable Role Playing games thanks square

I will definitely still buy them because I have not played any of the post-PS2 Sony ones and I want to finish up the series.

if cloud service sucks complete rear end or is only barely playable i will report back

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think the path blocking in Dread really bothers me because the map is so good. The functionality of the map made it so simple to suss out the path forward by just highlighting the objects your newest gizmo manipulates. Every time I got a new gizmo, I’d glance at the map, highlight some stuff, drop a marker or two and keep going. I never noticed all the blocked paths until I got frustrated with a boss fight (don’t remember which one), decided to take a break to do a mid-game item round up, and found the paths I wanted to take were blocked by rubble/flood/randomly sealed door (:jerkbag:).

A significant portion of the fun I have in Metroidvanias come from the one or two mid-game item hunts and Dread seems to have crippled that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had some playstation 5 games but I sold it to a friend.

To me every single game was basically the exact same in terms of pacing, skill trees, unlocks. It was just all the same game. The ones that weren't that were all souls-roguelikes I hate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I had some playstation 5 games but I sold it to a friend.

To me every single game was basically the exact same in terms of pacing, skill trees, unlocks. It was just all the same game. The ones that weren't that were all souls-roguelikes I hate.

This is really weird. There's gonna be a slew of content coming out based on old console releases. The plague has sorta hampered tons of development but things will get better. I guess you could just buy it again.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah, there's only like three ps5 games so that's probably why you feel that the variety is lacking

PS4 library however stays winning, my backlog of handcrafted meaty unique single player games is bigger than it has ever been in my entire life

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Yeah, there's only like three ps5 games so that's probably why you feel that the variety is lacking

PS4 library however stays winning, my backlog of handcrafted meaty unique single player games is bigger than it has ever been in my entire life

Well it was mostly PS4 games I was playing. I didn't really like them very much! I liked Ratchet and Clank, I liked FF7R, I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider. Didn't like Horizon, God of War, Uncharted 4, Dayz Gone, Sackboy 3D World, and a few others. They were meaty, they did not feel unique. They all felt derivative of each other except sackman which was just deivative of Mario if he moved like molasses

I also liked the Spider-Mans but they were so long that it really got the formula ingrained in me and probably made me like the other ones less.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 18, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the whole "last-of-us-ification" thing that really showed up with stuff like Tomb Raider/Uncharted PS4/Days Gone/God of War has been noted for quite a while and I'm definitely starting to see backlash to it. Especially with the idea that Sony doesn't really care about developing Japanese-style games anymore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the whole "last-of-us-ification" thing that really showed up with stuff like Tomb Raider/Uncharted PS4/Days Gone/God of War has been noted for quite a while and I'm definitely starting to see backlash to it. Especially with the idea that Sony doesn't really care about developing Japanese-style games anymore.

Tomb Raider is nothing like last of us. If anything its more like Uncharted. Also idk why you have uncharted there when its from the same studio who made Last of Us

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

We need more Patapon and fewer Days Gone.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I knew Sony stopped giving a poo poo about developing games in Japan as soon as they shut down Japan Studio and moved members to Team Asobi, and besides Astrobot, has only worked on The Playroom

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Willo567 posted:

I knew Sony stopped giving a poo poo about developing games in Japan as soon as they shut down Japan Studio and moved members to Team Asobi, and besides Astrobot, has only worked on The Playroom

Yeah that's what I mean, like the Sony corporate game style more or less turning into third person action games with cinematic production values, not so much that they all play like Last of Us

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The more mainstream gaming gets I feel like the less successful “japanese” games get, unless for some reason it is dark souls

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well it was mostly PS4 games I was playing. I didn't really like them very much! I liked Ratchet and Clank, I liked FF7R, I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider. Didn't like Horizon, God of War, Uncharted 4, Dayz Gone, Sackboy 3D World, and a few others. They were meaty, they did not feel unique. They all felt derivative of each other except sackman which was just deivative of Mario if he moved like molasses

I also liked the Spider-Mans but they were so long that it really got the formula ingrained in me and probably made me like the other ones less.

There's definitely lots of games with a formula to follow, skill trees etc but I've had luck finding big production big budget unique experiences too. Some of my current favorites right now include sekiro, nioh 2, the Yakuza games, dark souls 3 at glorious 60fps, persona 5, mh world, and tons of smaller budget Japanese RPGs. The resident evils are also great, as are a lot of Capcom games

Those are just the games that I have played myself. There's a ton I haven't got into yet!

For PS5, it is definitely a rogue lite but returnal was sublime and it felt like a true next gen experience to me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think Japanese games are doing worse just that their sales are just mostly stagnant while everyone else is increasingly more successful

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's better threads to talk about Sony games than the Nintendo Switch thread.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i can't imagine any.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh poo poo the hall monitor is back.

Nintendo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

b_d posted:

i can't imagine any.

I can, but I don't have an alternative because PS5 has no games

In other news I'm gonna get an LG c1 this month to match my OLED switch screen, so hyped. 55 inch model works fine as my current set is 55 but my friends keep saying to just get the 65 in version because it's like a $300 difference. And I'm nearsighted as hell

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I need to finish Mario Odyssey before Kirby comes out. :stonk:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Legends Arceus has leaked.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If your Pokemon Legend Arceus has leaked, please use a mop.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was excited when Horizon Zero Dawn came to PC and lol that it was ever mentioned in the same breath as BotW because its boring, derivative, repetitive, massive-open-world-with-gently caress-all-character, and has a million icons splurged onto your map for you to brainlessly follow. Made me feel very good about my decision to have a Switch for Nintendo exclusives and a new PC for everything else.

I guess I'll try God of War but I'm worried it'll be the same style of overblown cinematic 3D action game that takes itself too seriously with its Serious Adult Themes written by idiot manchildren.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

If BDSP needed a day one patch I can’t imagine what leaked Legends Arceus is like. That game has never looked like it’s ready for release in any of the trailers they’ve put out.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

If BDSP needed a day one patch I can’t imagine what leaked Legends Arceus is like. That game has never looked like it’s ready for release in any of the trailers they’ve put out.

I really want it to be good (or hell, I'll even take mediocre, I want an open-world Pokemon game that badly), but yeah. Even the latest trailer footage just seemed so...empty.

I wish they'd port the two Gamecube RPGs (Colosseum?), I feel like I remember those being okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Butterfly Valley posted:

the same style of overblown cinematic 3D action game that takes itself too seriously with its Serious Adult Themes written by idiot manchildren.

that is exactly what it is

the sony house-style really sucks right now, imo