Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For all the fun being made of Carlin and Musk did anyone listen to the episode?

Because it's actually as bad as you can imagine. Just a bunch of silly to insulting hypotheticals. There's like a few minutes of some interesting engineering stuff, that could've been any historian talking about it.

My question is how does Carlin have this sort of pull? Like just how famous is he? Musk isn't a nobody, but at the same time, I don't really know anything about anyone. It just seemed rather surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Musk is an attention-seeking dweeb, he probably asked to be on.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Musk is an attention-seeking dweeb, he probably asked to be on.

It very well could be this; I could very easily see Musk being a Common Sense listener.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musk desperately wants to be the cool nerd so going on the podcast for the history guy just makes sense

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember Dan has been mentioned by Colbert and Thomas Middleditch, he's gotten his name around in some circles. While i don't think I've seen a hint of a whiff of a letter of Mike Duncan's name, unfairly.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I remember Dan has been mentioned by Colbert and Thomas Middleditch, he's gotten his name around in some circles. While i don't think I've seen a hint of a whiff of a letter of Mike Duncan's name, unfairly.

Duncan had a CBS piece to promote his book. Though it’s less about Duncan and more about Lafayette which is a little disappointing.

https://youtu.be/91HmTmDmZo8

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Does Mike even say his name at the start of most episodes? Dan Carlin at least gets some name mention at the top and bottom.

Speaking of Carlin Content that no one listened to, did anyone listen to the Coda for Supernova in the East? iirc it's like two hours long and supposed to heap even more onto the pacific theater saga. I can't imagine it elevates the content at all, but there was that last episode where he comes to some truly unhinged conclusions about how genocides might be a good thing, maybe, I'm just asking questions

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Appoda posted:

Does Mike even say his name at the start of most episodes?

He doesn’t, he just says Hello, and welcome to Revolutions.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The Revolutions theme got my toddler interested in classical music. He doesn’t like most traditional shows or movies, but I can at least now put on a full 30min Haydn piece to keep his attention while I get stuff done around the house.

So thanks, Mike!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Any love in this thread for the SRB Podcast? I've been listening to a lot of the more historical episodes which are great, and now I have a whole new interest in the much more numerous Donbas conflict episodes now that people seem to think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thinking about throwing down $5 for the China History Podcast premium feed. Are there enough bonus episodes to justify the $5 though? I get part of this is a donation, and ive gotten plenty of hours of enjoyment from the podcast already, but i'm kinda hoping there's a little extra to it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PittTheElder posted:

Any love in this thread for the SRB Podcast? I've been listening to a lot of the more historical episodes which are great, and now I have a whole new interest in the much more numerous Donbas conflict episodes now that people seem to think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent.

Sean's great overall, been listening for a couple years now. It's a nice pod for picking and choosing specific episodes instead of just listening chronologically to me. You're not always in the mood for "Pushkin in academia" so maybe that day "the evolution of soviet ballads 1950-1975" is precisely what you needed

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I tried listening to SRB but couldn't get into it. Is there a rec for his greatest hits?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Casting out a broad (but still selective) net out.

I want something informational but not historical, political, or cynical. I have plenty of those already, I need something lighter hearted for sake of mental health. Topics can be about really anything - nuclear energy, nature, geology, bugs, rugs, mugs.

I’d prefer a podcast that sticks to an interest/topic rather than a survey of things. Ideally episode length runs beyond 30m too, so I don’t have to keep skipping intros on my phone every 10 minutes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

buglord posted:

I want something informational but not historical, political, or cynical. I have plenty of those already, I need something lighter hearted for sake of mental health. Topics can be about really anything - nuclear energy, nature, geology, bugs, rugs, mugs.

I’d prefer a podcast that sticks to an interest/topic rather than a survey of things. Ideally episode length runs beyond 30m too, so I don’t have to keep skipping intros on my phone every 10 minutes.

I've been hearing this one advertised lately, and it sounds like it fits your bill. I haven't listened to a single episode though so caveat emptor on the quality. https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/just-the-zoo-of-us/

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

buglord posted:

Decoder Ring, maybe? It traces the history of various pop culture phenomena (Showbiz vs. Chuck E. Cheese, gender reveal parties, Baby Shark, Truck Nutz, the laugh track). Obviously the roots of certain subjects do involve racism, classism, LGBTphobia, etc., but on the whole it’s done with a fairly light touch.

My further left field suggestion is Podcast: The Ride, which is hosted by three guys with occasional guests talking about the history of various theme park attractions. Mostly Disney/Universal with a smattering of other stuff, in case you have any interest around it. They’ve got a nice rapport and it’s genuinely funny while also being good-natured.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

buglord posted:

Other natural science podcasts I have suggested before:

Strange Animals- a woman with a charming Tennessee accent talks about animals and the occasional cryptid with the enthusiasm of a fourth grader describing their favorite animal for over 160 episodes and counting. She researches things very well, but I love the personal touches, from comments and groan-worthy jokes. It just adds a lot coziness to this show, compared to some others which is dudes riffing dumbly on what they don't know while they read wikipedia, or overly-earnest environmentalists pushing a sound message, but just a bit too intensely. Episodes are short between 10-20 minutes, but the intro and outro are seconds long and there are no ads.

The Wild Episode- has less episodes but it has much higher production values and Brian Ruckley's voice is perfect. The information is always excellent and perfectly editorialized. It updates less frequently but it's a on-going project. I love this podcast so so much. I seriously can't recommend this more highly. If you like zoology don't miss this one.

The Common Descent Podcast, which is generally on evolutionary history and a lot of prehistoric animals, is also really well-done and the two hosts are huge nerds but actual paleontologists so it doesn't detract from the show. I like their camaraderie. They have about 120 episodes and counting, and the episodes are usually a couple of hours long. Their format goes from current events, to the main show, so you may want to skip that first part, but it's generally interesting even if archived it's often less current.

Arrhythmia posted:

I've been hearing this one advertised lately, and it sounds like it fits your bill. I haven't listened to a single episode though so caveat emptor on the quality. https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/just-the-zoo-of-us/

OOOH Zoology podcasts. Just my thing. I will listen to this and report back!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

buglord posted:

The Prancing Pony is a pretty upbeat and jovial podcast on Tolkien that is pretty good. It's just the two hosts talking about the entire Tolkien work collection and while sometimes they get a little cringe with the nerd humor they are generally good fun and for some reason always put me in a good mood.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Wild Episode- has less episodes but it has much higher production values and Brian Ruckley's voice is perfect. The information is always excellent and perfectly editorialized. It updates less frequently but it's a on-going project. I love this podcast so so much. I seriously can't recommend this more highly. If you like zoology don't miss this one.

Yes this is so good.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

buglord posted:

Have you tried The Omnibus? It’s a sort of “time capsule” show where every week they pick a different topic and spend an hour talking about it and riffing about it. It’s hosted by Jeopardy champ Ken Jennings and indie musician John Roderick, who are both pretty chilled, funny, and good dudes.

Most recent episode was about the bicycle land speed record which is about as funny as it sounds!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

buglord posted:

Omega Tau fits some but not all of your requirements.
Plenty of scientific episodes but not that many natural history or general interest.
Quite a few nuclear/fusion/alternative energy eps also.
And a lot of avgeek eps that might not be to taste.

Huge back catalog, although if you find you want to go through it all you will have to add the archive as its own feed.
http://omegataupodcast.net/

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I've been listening to Sunday School Dropouts, a show where a former Christian and a non-believer read through the bible a book at a time. They're not experts, but they are perhaps the cutest couple in podcast history and their rapport is very charming.

They started the pod just as trump became a political figure, so occasionally they mention him. And of course, the bible itself is a huge part of how politics have developed in the west and modern American culture, and they talk about that when it is relevant. But it's also a lot of "gee wiz is Paul ever gonna shut up about foreskins" and otherwise treating the bible as a book club. I think it's fun but YMMV.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Appoda posted:

I've been listening to Sunday School Dropouts, a show where a former Christian and a non-believer read through the bible a book at a time. They're not experts, but they are perhaps the cutest couple in podcast history and their rapport is very charming.

They started the pod just as trump became a political figure, so occasionally they mention him. And of course, the bible itself is a huge part of how politics have developed in the west and modern American culture, and they talk about that when it is relevant. But it's also a lot of "gee wiz is Paul ever gonna shut up about foreskins" and otherwise treating the bible as a book club. I think it's fun but YMMV.

I remember those two! I sent in a couple of things to them and they read it out and I felt very validated.

I was so hoping they would read other holy books in the same way, but alas - it was not to be.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Any good history podcast about Eastern Europe?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Appoda posted:

Sunday school dropouts is pretty great and those two are very adorable together. It is too bad that they never got around to other religions, but oh well. Be warned though all that try it out, absolutely do not start in the middle, the end bits of the old testament have a lot of very short chapters. It's tough to turn three pages of bibble into an hour long show. They give it a valiant attempt, but it made for a pretty boring stretch there for a while.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll second Strange Animals. Very enjoyable podcast, informative and laid back.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

buglord posted:

Astronomy Cast is a great one, each week is about 20-30 minute episode on a specific astronomy topic, from exoplanets to scientific missions to stellar development etc

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

mrfart posted:

Depending on how expensive you want to be, the history of Byzantium follows the development about how all the different players got into place-as well several other players who just died out... And all the other stuff that happened after the western empire fell.

For a narrower focus, it's very short but the notes from Poland podcast had a nice sub series on the history of Poland. There is a history of Poland podcast but I didn't care for it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The host of When Diplomacy Fails is doing (did?) a Polish history podcast focused on the 18th century but it's paywalled and I haven't listened. I assume it's good and stylistically similar to WDF.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

mrfart posted:

The SRB Podcast covers Russia, Belarus and Ukraine extensively. Though you probably should be more specific in what you want to hear, and where exactly Eastern Europe is for you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

So, I've listened to the first 3-5 episodes and the last 3-5 episodes, which is what I do to judge a podcast.

It's better than I think. I don't like it, but I can't deny the show is ok.

The hosts, a blatantly married couple, talk about animals using a ranking system I don't much care for (Effectiveness, Ingenuity, and Aesthetics ie How good a creature is at what it does, How "intelligent" or creative it can be, and a wholly subjective take on its looks). It's a silly format, but the lack of professionalism in the ranking irks me. The first episodes were not great. The show really fell into "we read wikipedia, let's tell you about it!" with ok banter and couple jokes. The later episodes feature some genuine scientists as guests as well as actual research using a couple of popular sources (Nat Geo and the like), and the occassional research paper.

They aren't experts, something that they're very clear about, and that's fine. Kate Shaw (Strange Animals) and Brian Ruckley (The Wild Episode) aren't experts either, but they clearly do some very thorough research. Shaw talks about it at times, and she goes through some hoops for her stuff, plus she's just charming as all heck. Ruckley has some very impressive annotations, it explains the pacing of the show, but the man does his homework.

So, it's a very casual show. It's rather silly. You can learn things, but if you're like me, someone who's zoological passion has led to some more than amateurish knowledge of the subject, you'll feel like you're treading well-known facts.

I also feel this final judgement is just me, and unfair, but they're sometimes outrageously uncultured and it bugs me. They definitely correct their statements at the beginning of an episode, but there's a lot of errata, which just feels like maybe they should script themselves just a bit more.

You may like it, if you're not expecting much.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

PittTheElder posted:

The SRB Podcast covers Russia, Belarus and Ukraine extensively. Though you probably should be more specific in what you want to hear, and where exactly Eastern Europe is for you.

Thanks, that looks interesting.
I know I’m being too vague. I guess as a kid from the 80ties growing up in Western Europe, the countries behind the iron curtain always were something of a mystery.
I guess I’m mostly interested in Ukraine, and that region. I recently kinda learned by accident about the dark history of the city of Lviv for example. But maybe there’s also places that I’m too ignorant about to even realize how interesting they are. Like, through another podcast I also found out that Bulgaria used to be a very powerful country for a long time and I must admit I almost don’t know anything about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yea the SRB Podcast will be right up your alley then.

And seconding the History of Byzantium as a very good podcast in general, and one that covers a lot of early Bulgarian history for somewhat obvious reasons. I think there's also History of Bulgaria and History of the Balkans podcasts out there that I've heard advertised on Byzantium, though I have not listened to them so can't really speak to them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

History of Byzantium is fun but it gets bogged down sometimes. i feel like we've been hearing a lot of nothing about manoooeeeeeeeelllll for like a year now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s why it rules. There is only a couple hundred years left no reason to rush

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I like how slow and in the weeds it gets at times.

Also he didn't post any new eps for like nine months so we have been hearing about the same period for a year.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

History of Byzantium is fun but it gets bogged down sometimes. i feel like we've been hearing a lot of nothing about manoooeeeeeeeelllll for like a year now.

Yeah the bog is the place to be. If anything I'm disappointed we didn't spend longer with John II, but sources be what sources be I suppose. The post-Alexian pre-Fourth Crusade period is I think one of the least covered generally, I'm happy to spend as long as possible here.

But yeah nine months without updates hurts, though more for him than for us obviously.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there anything good out there on religion and its history? Something like the youtube show Religion for Breakfast, but maybe more in depth? Something with a non-sectarian approach to the subject?

Vinny Possum fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 27, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Yikes

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1487115094844530688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lmao

Dan Carlin, worst history podcaster? Also everybody in the comments of that are correct, despite it being over 2 hours long everybody should watch the recent Folding Ideas video on NFTs. It is both correct and hilarious. https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g