Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Page 111 as written on the pages watermark, not the page of the PDF :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hub Cat posted:

How much of Raven is even left? It's been 12 years since they last developed an independent title.

It's not hard confirmed yet that statement amounts to "Unnamed Sources are saying X", it's likely true but not a done deal.

Investor Filings are public:
https://investor.activision.com/static-files/905f46c7-95af-4012-a238-6c3932c26594
Page 111
Hey, look at this, which I'm sure is unrelated to the mid 2023 transaction date:

p97 posted:

Mr. Kotick’s term of employment under the
Kotick Employment Agreement began on October 1,
2016 and continues through March 31, 2023.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Probably. They really want "Xbox" to be synonymous with "Games" and they're working hard on turning every desktop PC in the world into an Xbox, the best way to do that is by owning a large chunk of the market and making it primarily available through Xbox / the Windows Game Store. They want to do what Epic was doing with EGS but they have way more money to throw at it. I'm just hoping they don't start snatching up smaller/indie devs too once they realize how much of a market there is there :(

At least so far they've been releasing on Steam and I hope they'll keep doing that, but I think they're eventually going to go MS Store exclusive again and say "get game pass, stupid".

Which sucks because Microsoft's store is the worst of all the PC stores.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Microsoft doesn't really need to quit Steam, their strategy is to overprice their games on Steam and offer minimal discounts so users are encouraged to play on Game Pass instead

Like when Forza Horizon 4 came to Steam (over two years after its original launch) they priced it like a brand new full price AAA title... or you could play it on Game Pass

FH5 is out now and yet FH4 still hasn't even had any permanent price drops, it's still £55 to buy outside of sale events

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 18, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Halo is literally on Steam so I don’t think their gambit is to corner the market through exclusivity

their strat is to offer ridiculously good value via game pass, and buying up a massive older library of classic games is a pretty sure fire way to do that

gently caress Id sub to gamepass just to affordably play the older cod campaigns of the MW to Blops 2 era, or Infinite Warfare

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Steam is doing amazing numbers for Microsoft. If they aren’t the largest non-Valve publisher on the platform right now they will be. I can’t see any reason for them to leave it now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What in the entire loving world
https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1483432456548196358

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

lmao. just lmao

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This acquisition opens up an exciting new future where Microsoft pays me to play Heroes of the Storm for some reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's "play-to-earn", is it some NFT concept or something

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yep, imagine if when you paid for cosmetics in an mmo or whatever you actually were "paying" for a crypto token instead that you could then cash out for money later (lol)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cowcaster posted:

yep, imagine if when you paid for cosmetics in an mmo or whatever you actually were "paying" for a crypto token instead that you could then cash out for money later (lol)

drat...... imagine if i could sell all my vendor trash in Skyrim for hundreds of thousands of dollars of crypto. the game's price tag would pay for itself rapidly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this guy just posted an article on it just a few minutes ago https://ez.substack.com/p/on-the-value-of-time

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1483433973711781891

In short: *hand jerk motion*

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I can't even figure out what this person is even saying. Clicking into the conversation doesn't provide any clarity either. Sounds like he's upset that Blizz sold for $70b and the people who play their games isn't getting a cut? Was there something at some point that made this an expectation?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

drat...... imagine if i could sell all my vendor trash in Skyrim for hundreds of thousands of dollars of crypto. the game's price tag would pay for itself rapidly

no, no, you don't sell stuff for crypto, you purchase stuff using fiat currency and then the guys say "here's some dogecoin!"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This mans mind is broken.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So in theory the act of me playing counter strike is creating content for the people I'm playing against which contributes to the health and sales of the game. So I deserve a taste. I should be able to dip my beak so to speak

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

this guy just posted an article on it just a few minutes ago https://ez.substack.com/p/on-the-value-of-time

I scrolled to the end for the hell of it as I am not going to read a long article from this dude, but the last two paragraphs stood out:

quote:

When I quit MMORPGs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft, one of the main reasons was that I felt like it had become a job rather than something I enjoyed. Had I been paid - and been able to make money off of it - I would have kept playing, because the idea that I was being “productive” with my leisure time would have incentivized me to continue to do something I genuinely hated.

Our moments on this Earth are finite and fleeting, and our deaths are unpredictable. The world is challenging and painful, and the moments we reduce those pains and challenges and relax by enjoying something are wonderful, valid and valuable. We do many things that do not benefit our bank accounts or our career trajectories, and we should meet those who actively seek to turn our joy into labor with the disgust they deserve.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Was there something at some point that made this an expectation?

Crypto brainworms.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Hey, look at this, which I'm sure is unrelated to the mid 2023 transaction date:

Yeah, it's a fairly compelling (business) reason to keep him on till 2023 and oust him immediately after. Would have been nice to see the journalist well you know:shrug:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yes. If you want a picture of the future, imagine being a WoW gold seller – for ever

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 18, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I can't even figure out what this person is even saying. Clicking into the conversation doesn't provide any clarity either. Sounds like he's upset that Blizz sold for $70b and the people who play their games isn't getting a cut? Was there something at some point that made this an expectation?
It's not about the sale, that person is using this as an opportunity to shill their own NFT blockchain gaming platform.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Basically there's a certain brand of internet person that thinks every single little thing in life should be transactional. You know, sociopaths.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Microsoft is slowly turning into a cheese factory.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Play posted:

Apropos is one word.

A propos sounds like some kind of sea mammal

I was about to confidently tell you you were being confidently incorrect and a propos (french for "to the purpose") was right, but hey what do you know: Both are correct. So I guess we were both wrong! It's a lovely morning in the village and we are terrible goons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's about 50% grifting people who believe it when you tell them "earn money by playing games all day!" and about 50% grifting "always a bigger fool" grifters who're trying to get in on the top level of the pyramid scheme early and cash out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I made my first million on Skyrim Skooma futures :smugdog:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Basically there's a certain brand of internet person that thinks every single little thing in life should be transactional. You know, sociopaths.

Screaming at my son's 1st-grade flag football ref: "We do many things that do not benefit our bank accounts or our career trajectories, and we should meet those who actively seek to turn our joy into labor with the disgust they deserve!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sebmojo posted:

I was about to confidently tell you you were being confidently incorrect and a propos (french for "to the purpose") was right, but hey what do you know: Both are correct. So I guess we were both wrong! It's a lovely morning in the village and we are terrible goons.

I would say a propos would only be right if the words around it are in French, but I'll admit I didn't know that and the morning sunlight is indeed beautiful in this terrible goonvillage

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nova Drift's Enemies 2.0 update (or, 1/3 of it apparently) released today. I haven't tried it yet but the dev notes that while this one took a long time to come out this was a tough update that should make future ones easier so hopefully we get more soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ragequit posted:

Screaming at my son's 1st-grade flag football ref: "We do many things that do not benefit our bank accounts or our career trajectories, and we should meet those who actively seek to turn our joy into labor with the disgust they deserve!"
like if your point is that's some ornate purple prose then go nuts but if you aren't instinctually disgusted by crypto assholes attempting to monetize every aspect of your life that's a you problem not the writer's problem

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hub Cat posted:

Yes. If you want a picture of the future, imagine being a WoW gold seller – for ever

Oh my god. We're going to have to report to in-game jobs in order to earn in-game money in order to continue playing the loving game aren't we. This is Hell.

edit: And then eventually within the game will be a mini-game that we can play in order to make the drudgery of the in-game job more palatable. A sort of escapism, if you will

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cowcaster posted:

like if your point is that's some ornate purple prose then go nuts but if you aren't instinctually disgusted by crypto assholes attempting to monetize every aspect of your life that's a you problem not the writer's problem
I think Ragequit's point is that they didn't read the substck article posted and still haven't realized the article, and that quote, are coming from a writer criticizing the crypto scam rather than someone defending it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

The latter was exactly my point. I am inundated with crypto and betting ads everywhere saying I am an idiot for not making every aspect of my life generate value (like the satire quote), and it's a bit much. And the cherry on top is that all of that dumb poo poo is literally destroying the planet.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 18, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh my god. We're going to have to report to in-game jobs in order to earn in-game money in order to continue playing the loving game aren't we. This is Hell.

My corporation in X4 is worth two billion and employs thousands of employees.

Imagine if it was worth two billion in internet fun dollars and I had to rely on you, SolidSnakesBandana, to ship energy cells from my Mercury station to my Venus station forever

Also I didn't pay you except for the hiring fee, and you don't own anything, and I didn't have a corporation because I'd have to do the same thing for the guy who's been playing X since 1999

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's me, actually playing games that I like, instead of games that I hate

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TeaJay posted:

Here's me, actually playing games that I like, instead of games that I hate

Where's the earning potential in that?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How old is that guy? He's like some sort of Anti-Millennial. He's who the Millennial fights during the climax of the movie.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
From everything I've seen, if you want a game that's actually just a job and isn't fun you should play EVE Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looking forward to the dystopian future where I get to pay taxes on the money I earn from playing games 12 hours a day but don't have an employer so I can't get health insurance and don't have a job history so I can never get a real job.