Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

thecluckmeme posted:

When you say new village, do you mean the one on the surface?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Duly noted :devil:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh I should have specified. Those were two different things. The one in my spoiler tag is somewhere else.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am a garlic bro and garlic pays off when there are too many things on the screen.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

awesmoe posted:

E: someone should make a vampire survivors thread. idk if it would has the staying power but it’s certainly popular at the moment

I just did! :D

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'll probably make a Supraland thread when I'm done gawking over it in the next few days.

I'm just reporting that I solved an endgame puzzle backwards. It gave me the option, I didn't find the right entrance point to solving it, and ended up traversing almost the entire map through specific points to arrive at a certain door with a very specific flag to open it. I got it open, and realized that I am stuck at the bottom of an enemy gauntlet that I cannot kill because I didn't drop in from the top of the gauntlet. I feel infinitely clever, and simultaneously like a dumbass. I feel like that's the Supraland motto in a nutshell.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

thecluckmeme posted:

I'll probably make a Supraland thread when I'm done gawking over it in the next few days.

I'm just reporting that I solved an endgame puzzle backwards. It gave me the option, I didn't find the right entrance point to solving it, and ended up traversing almost the entire map through specific points to arrive at a certain door with a very specific flag to open it. I got it open, and realized that I am stuck at the bottom of an enemy gauntlet that I cannot kill because I didn't drop in from the top of the gauntlet. I feel infinitely clever, and simultaneously like a dumbass. I feel like that's the Supraland motto in a nutshell.

I know this is not the most appropriate thread to put a spoiler, but I think need to reply to this.

If this is the room with the giant beating heart, you did not go in the wrong way, you need to use the enemies themselves to get to the top. Note that some are made of wood or metal.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1432050/Nobody_Saves_the_World/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256867737/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1641411781

quote:

Transform from a featureless nobody into a SLUG, a GHOST and a DRAGON in this new take on Action RPGs from the creators of Guacamelee! Discover 15+ distinct Forms, mix-and-match their abilities, clear evolving dungeons and... SAVE THE WORLD!?

Not quite out but it unlocks in seven hours. Very interested in this one

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Wow the Supraland demo is pretty long. Think I’ve played for two hours or so. Gives a really good feel for the game.

Definitely going to pick it up.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

day 1 on gamepass as well!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
At 13.5 hours I'm up to 98% completion in Supraland SIU. Apparently I'm missing 2 chests, 1 upgrade, and 3 secrets? Not sure how that all adds up, but having a blast.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

thecluckmeme posted:

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox.

(...)
Thanks for this!

The entire Supraland series had gone completely under my radar. The original Supraland is on Game Pass, and while I know this isn't the thread for discussing older games, after reading your post I installed it and immediately fell in love with it.

I'll be picking up the new one soon!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I'm at ~14h playtime with 59% completion, just beat the questline but I'm a bit stumped where the postgame content stuff is? There's a nook in the lava area I haven't explored, with the minecraft steve, but I'm stumped on the 2/1 purple rings puzzle. the rings activate on a force cube, but it feels like I need a cool down upgrade to make it work or something. You can use the force beam on the wood, but I don't see how that helps.

Also I found a grey key on the outside of cagetown, but I don't remember where the lock is.

Anyone can push me in the right directions?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oenis posted:

I'm at ~14h playtime with 59% completion, just beat the questline but I'm a bit stumped where the postgame content stuff is? There's a nook in the lava area I haven't explored, with the minecraft steve, but I'm stumped on the 2/1 purple rings puzzle. the rings activate on a force cube, but it feels like I need a cool down upgrade to make it work or something. You can use the force beam on the wood, but I don't see how that helps.

Also I found a grey key on the outside of cagetown, but I don't remember where the lock is.

Anyone can push me in the right directions?

If you finished the boss, go back to cagetown and go to the third floor. There's a "maze" underneath the ramp up to it if you haven't been up there yet. There's one more sequence to get through before you reach the full postgame, and some postgame upgrades with things to hunt for across the whole game in a house up there.

For the first puzzle near Steve, there's a post-game area with a lot of puzzles in a row that test your knowledge with all the tools in your arsenal you will have without post-game upgrades. It's located in the area behind the fifth pipe, and to get to it you'll need to abuse the verticality you can get with the cube and the green gun to get over pretty short cliffs. It reintroduces a mechanic from the first game where things aren't the right color, and need to be recolored by putting a similarly colored item into the pipe. Look straight down at the ground, then look back at the pipe. You should be able to figure out how to get all three rings to go at once at that point. You cannot finish that room until you find scrap metal.

The grey key lock is just inside cagetown to your left. Poke around a little bit, it should be obvious but there's no reason to go there unless you're lighting candles.

If somebody else wants to make a Supraland thread that would be cool, otherwise I'll try to make one tonight because there really shouldn't be spoiler bars in this thread, and it is a secret-heavy game

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah I've been to the third floor, and I've introduced true trickle-down economy. But I have no idea where to go next. Thanks for the other hints though!

Edit: never mind, I'm stupid. There's a door that used to be closed.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I should clarify, when I said "that room" I meant the room behind that three ring puzzle, not the room with the pipe. I think you can get everything in that particular postgame puzzle sequence without any bonus upgrades, you just have to flex your brain a bit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I am vaguely interested in this game. Any impressions so far?
The steam page is a bit weird. There are mostly positive reviews but for some reason, Chinese people seem to really dislike it. 90 percent of the negativ reviews are in Chinese. According to my translator, they are mostly in agreement that it's a brush game? I am fairly sure that this is a direct translation of some term.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It’s on gamepass. I downloaded it with the intention of trying it out later, will post some impressions afterwards. Seems to have good critics reviews.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

The steam page is a bit weird. There are mostly positive reviews but for some reason, Chinese people seem to really dislike it. 90 percent of the negativ reviews are in Chinese. According to my translator, they are mostly in agreement that it's a brush game? I am fairly sure that this is a direct translation of some term.

Wouldn't be surprised if the bad reviews are some political thing? No idea what a brush game is.

Haven't had a chance to play but I should this evening

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

Play posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the bad reviews are some political thing? No idea what a brush game is.

Haven't had a chance to play but I should this evening

looking at the steam discussion a few folks have asked about that and the devs have responded to say there are bugs with some intel chips that cause crashes when the game loads up. It sounds like it's affecting folks generally

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it sounds like they're experiencing a lot of crashing/save corruption, not sure why

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Chinese reviews seem to mostly be saying it's simple and boring. Brush Game seems to be a term for repetitive equipment-based RPG style action games like Borderlands, Diablo, the Division etc. There is also a bunch of people reporting crashing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana? And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana?

:objection:

Control Volume posted:

And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

:hai:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

It’s on gamepass. I downloaded it with the intention of trying it out later, will post some impressions afterwards. Seems to have good critics reviews.

Played for about 45 minutes, seems pretty cool. Mix up of top down Zelda and Diablo (and honestly, mobile games) with a neat gimmick. You can turn into different creatures with different abilities -- the rat can poison and eat people, the archer can hit people in a line -- that come with with a constantly increasing quest list. As quests complete, you level up the individual abilities of the creature + overall stats and unlock new quests. There's the possibility of good character variety here. I unlocked the horse who can only kick behind him but does good damage and knocks people into walls. I figure the game wants you to switch for different occasions since some will be better aoe vs single target and for example you could switch to the knight if low on health since he does more damage at low %s.

I can see it getting repetitive, but I'll definitely go back to it. Good gamepass game anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana? And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

La Mulana 2?

Honestly, La Mulana is hard to top with all the bullshit that throws at you. I love exploration games like these.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ultrachrist posted:

Played for about 45 minutes, seems pretty cool. Mix up of top down Zelda and Diablo (and honestly, mobile games) with a neat gimmick. You can turn into different creatures with different abilities -- the rat can poison and eat people, the archer can hit people in a line -- that come with with a constantly increasing quest list. As quests complete, you level up the individual abilities of the creature + overall stats and unlock new quests. There's the possibility of good character variety here. I unlocked the horse who can only kick behind him but does good damage and knocks people into walls. I figure the game wants you to switch for different occasions since some will be better aoe vs single target and for example you could switch to the knight if low on health since he does more damage at low %s.

I just got to the point where builds massively open up as you can mix and match the creatures abilities for interesting synergies, and a few of the quests require exactly that.

Like with the horse I've found it's good to give it the rangers poison passive, and just gallop around at the start of the battle poisoning entire groups.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

La Mulana 2?

Honestly, La Mulana is hard to top with all the bullshit that throws at you. I love exploration games like these.

La Mulana 2 is the only thing Ive ever kickstarted haha

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Control Volume posted:

the Tower of Oannes dlc for la mulana 2 is coming out Soon™. i dunno if anybody else is doing anything remotely similar to la mulana though, it's almost totally unique in its style and ambition

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah thats my fear. There are games like Supraland or Toki Tori 2 that take a more physical approach to its exploration and puzzle solving but even those are rare, and I cant think of any other modern games that integrate their fictional history with puzzle design. :sweatdrop:

Oh well, puzzle games will have another day in the sun eventually

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Control Volume posted:

I cant think of any other modern games that integrate their fictional history with puzzle design. :sweatdrop:

Well, there's Riven but that not really a modern game nor is it an action game like La Mulana lo

It does do really well at doing what you described though!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Yeah thats my fear. There are games like Supraland or Toki Tori 2 that take a more physical approach to its exploration and puzzle solving but even those are rare, and I cant think of any other modern games that integrate their fictional history with puzzle design. :sweatdrop:

Oh well, puzzle games will have another day in the sun eventually

Actually, there is one game I can recommend. It's not an exact fit, but Full Bore is a sokobon puzzle game with an emphasis on open world exploration and digging for secrets that I very much enjoyed. It doesn't have any of the note taking of La Mulana, but the joy of wandering around and finding new things to do is a very close match.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

Actually, there is one game I can recommend. It's not an exact fit, but Full Bore is a sokobon puzzle game with an emphasis on open world exploration and digging for secrets that I very much enjoyed. It doesn't have any of the note taking of La Mulana, but the joy of wandering around and finding new things to do is a very close match.

Havent seen this one before, thanks! If this puzzle game kick doesnt end after Supraland Ill definitely give it a whirl

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Havent seen this one before, thanks! If this puzzle game kick doesnt end after Supraland Ill definitely give it a whirl

You might also like Treasure Adventure World which is a pretty heavy on exploration metroidvania that takes a lot of cues from windwaker. Not nearly as difficult but definitely a slower styled search action game with a bigger emphasis on puzzles.

There's also Recompile which I don't know as much about but I plan on jumping into after supraland because I hear it is yet another puzzle based metroidvania.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Believe me Im writing these all down

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong rec for Recompile. It's a very cool 3D metroidvania heavy on puzzles

However it does have enemies and bosses just FYI

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Does The Witness count as a metroidvania?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Plebian Parasite posted:

Does The Witness count as a metroidvania?

kinda, if you think the knowledge about how certain symbols work are "upgrades"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Broken Reality is "less" of a puzzle game as Supraland for the cross-world endgame puzzles but is still full of interesting movement options and puzzles with a neat aesthetic. Plus it's by the Hypnospace Outlaw devs.

Paradise Killer is a good exploration game with much easier puzzles and wildly weird story that tie into its core themes, but its ending is a bit meh. Fantastic aesthetic. I might have a bias toward vaporwave aesthetic.

I'm much more of an FPS exploration game kind of person so I'm not sure if either of those really hit the LA Mulana threshold, but they're good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I made a Supraland thread so we can stop posting pages of spoiler text in the new games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991263