Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I was at Hollywood Video or some such rental place of the past, and saw the ambiguous brown cover and read the back of the box and spent the weekend just completely lost in the game. both in trying to figure out how to play the game and it's wild world.
Renting Morrowind is such an odd thought, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I had just started posting on forums (GameFAQs lol) and the same guy posted on both the Baldur's Gate 2 and Wind Waker boards with a signature saying to play Morrowind so I figured I would probably like a game if he liked it too. I looked it up and found out about mods and went insane with excitement at the concept

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

There's nothing approaching a main quest in TR right? Are all the factions planned to be equal in scope?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mbt posted:

this

peasents

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

There's nothing approaching a main quest in TR right? Are all the factions planned to be equal in scope?

If you kill vivec you can get muatra spear, theres a post main quest quest planned for necrom next release. All the factions will have massive quest hubs in every city which is why releases take forever. The next release has the balmora clone and it's got every faction, plus two new vampire clans

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

I got a box of games one day from my uncle (RIP) and found Morrowind and Deus Ex among them. I bounced off both, and came back to them a year or two later, and they're my favorite games of all time.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

I got a box of games one day from my uncle (RIP) and found Morrowind and Deus Ex among them. I bounced off both, and came back to them a year or two later, and they're my favorite games of all time.

Rip Enrico's uncle sounds like a cool guy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7cmpBdXYA

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I loving love this game.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I too wish to be a goon revisiting his early adolescence with a return to Morrowind.

What are the current thoughts on OpenMW vs MGE XE? I was googling some modlists and whatnot and am under the impression that MGE XE looks better, but that the engine OpenMW uses is in general much stabler and better for running a ton of mods. I imagine there's a lot more nuance than this but what are other goons using?

EDIT: OpenMW looks like the solid choice upon reading a little more, looks like I'll be heading in that direction.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I generally prefer the Morrowind Code Patch and MGE XE over OpenMW, but this is an opinion largely formed based on how they compared to each other four years ago. (I've been expressing a preference about this for a while and only just now stopped to recognize how out of date it was.)

Maybe I'm just incredibly salty about how OpenMW implemented my birthsign of choice (The Lady).

I'm unsure if "much stabler" or "better for running a ton of mods" are true, though. After applying the MCP, I found Morrowind to be incredibly stable and never really had any kind of problems with it. As for mods, same deal, but I don't really know which one has better tools for managing mod installs. Mod Organizer 2 supports Morrowind, and is great. I've never learned the OpenMW mod management tools.

Performance might be better with OpenMW? I imagine it might also handle an expanded ingame map (to support TR, etc.) better than patched vanilla does, as well.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lady is extremely powerful & was my go to for a long time

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

My mother came home from the mall having impulse-bought Morrowind GOTY edition for me and my brother because she thought it looked cool, thus absolving herself of all past crimes of the cartoon Win98 edutainment we'd had to play as younger children

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Lady is extremely powerful & was my go to for a long time

It's fifty attribute points. It's nuts. Even if half of them are in Personality. (fake edit: I thought it was forty, but checked UESP for the math in the next line.)

So, to explain. If you play a Dunmer, you start with either 40 Endurance, 30 Personality or 30 Endurance, 40 Personality, depending on if you pick Male or Female. If an attribute is Favored by your class, you get an extra 10 points, so a Male Dunmer Acrobat would have 50 Endurance before birthsign.

The Lady gives +25 to Endurance and Personality. In regular Morrowind, this shows up in your spell effects bar as an ongoing effect, but it's one that can never go away. And, this is key, your attributes just show up as being (for our Male Dunmer Acrobat) 75 Endurance, 55 Personality. In OpenMW, The Lady gives an ongoing permanent Fortify Attribute effect, +25 Endurance and Personality, but it renders it out as a fortified attribute, same as if you'd used a Fortify Attribute scroll.

I forget what, if any, negative consequences this has compared to the vanilla interpretation other than it being Different and therefore Wrong and Bad and me not liking it. It probably has an important role in health gains on levelup that you should mod out anyway because they're terrible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tosk posted:

EDIT: OpenMW looks like the solid choice upon reading a little more, looks like I'll be heading in that direction.

You have chosen...poorly

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

mbt posted:

You have chosen...poorly

Could you elaborate

This link seems to expound nicely upon why it seems like OpenMW is a better choice, but I haven't touched Morrowind in over 10 years easily.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 17, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tosk posted:

Could you elaborate

This link seems to expound nicely upon why it seems like OpenMW is a better choice, but I haven't touched Morrowind in over 10 years easily.

OpenMW has the potential to surpass vanilla Morrowind, but it hasn't progressed to that point yet. It only had support for LUA added recently. It still hasn't even quite reached parity with vanilla Morrowind, and Morrowind has had 20 years of modders working on it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tosk posted:

Could you elaborate

this guy sounds like an openmw team member lol

this

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh, the ability to load 256^256 mods, this is a feature i need

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

mbt posted:

oh, the ability to load 256^256 mods, this is a feature i need

holy poo poo.

Is that an actual number? I don't think it's the actual number in question because that's very large, but I so want it to be. It's like 128 bit IP addresses.

"But why?"
"SO WE NEVER HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN."

edit: I think that's seven orders of magnitude above "number of atoms in the known universe".
edit 2: I'm hungry and sleep deprived and at work so the idea of this is far too amusing.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 17, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

holy poo poo.

Is that an actual number? I don't think it's the actual number in question because that's very large, but I so want it to be. It's like 128 bit IP addresses.

"But why?"
"SO WE NEVER HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN."

edit: I think that's seven orders of magnitude above "number of atoms in the known universe".
edit 2: I'm hungry and sleep deprived and at work so the idea of this is far too amusing.

no its just 'max 32 bit int' number of mods

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tosk posted:

I too wish to be a goon revisiting his early adolescence with a return to Morrowind.

What are the current thoughts on OpenMW vs MGE XE? I was googling some modlists and whatnot and am under the impression that MGE XE looks better, but that the engine OpenMW uses is in general much stabler and better for running a ton of mods. I imagine there's a lot more nuance than this but what are other goons using?

OpenMW is great, but you can do either one. OpenMW runs better (FPS, debatably stability) but you miss out on some newer mods (some of the cooler ones support both MWSE and OpenMW); tbh you're not going to miss anything. You could play vanilla MW and it would still own because its MW.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a good rundown of all the cool LUA mods somewhere?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there a good rundown of all the cool LUA mods somewhere?

Ashfall is the biggest one, complete needs and survival mod done better than skyrims

Heres a list
https://github.com/Lucevar/mw-immersion-mods/blob/master/mwse.md

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mbt posted:

Ashfall is the biggest one, complete needs and survival mod done better than skyrims

Heres a list
https://github.com/Lucevar/mw-immersion-mods/blob/master/mwse.md

quote:

Seph's Guar Petting by Sephumbra
A tiny MWSE lua mod that makes guars play sounds and optionally display messages when 'activated'.

Holy poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Has anyone done a mod that just replaces all instances of "corpus" with "COVID" in the game's text?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Has anyone done a mod that just replaces all instances of "corpus" with "COVID" in the game's text?

this is demonstrably incorrect, divayth fyr can give you durable corprus immunity but COVID vaccines are temporary

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

mbt posted:

no its just 'max 32 bit int' number of mods

drat.

Arivia posted:

this is demonstrably incorrect, divayth fyr can give you durable corprus immunity but COVID vaccines are temporary

Technically, the Nerevarine is still COVID positive, but permanently asymptomatic.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Is there an upper limit the amount of LUA mods one can safely run? My game has been pretty unstable lately, and I think it's all these MWSE mods I've collected.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anything coming up in the logs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There is a memory limit I managed to hit by having many tens of gigabytes of active data files and gigabytes of mods, but otherwise probably not if your fps is otherwise okay (if it's not it could indicate a script load problem, but probably still more due to a bug than actual processing load, especially with a modern cpu).

e: the memory limit involved merging in a large majority of all landscape mods ever released, among other things - the starting point was abbots megamod install which itself merges several hundred mods, my save files were well in the hundreds of megabytes each

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 18, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

Is there an upper limit the amount of LUA mods one can safely run? My game has been pretty unstable lately, and I think it's all these MWSE mods I've collected.

No, check your mwse.log and see if something is erroring out

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Private Speech posted:

There is a memory limit I managed to hit by having many tens of gigabytes of active data files and gigabytes of mods, but otherwise probably not if your fps is otherwise okay (if it's not it could indicate a script load problem, but probably still more due to a bug than actual processing load, especially with a modern cpu).

e: the memory limit involved merging in a large majority of all landscape mods ever released, among other things - the starting point was abbots megamod install which itself merges several hundred mods, my save files were well in the hundreds of megabytes each

My data files folder has about 30 gigs in it lol - not all of which is being actively used, mind you.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

Nerevarine aka "Max Titers" is the only one to survive such a cure

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Private Speech posted:

This guy CHIMs

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, I'm having a total old-person brain failure: What is the good Telvanni mod combo? Rise of House Telvanni, Uvirith's Legacy, and... ?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Okay, I'm having a total old-person brain failure: What is the good Telvanni mod combo? Rise of House Telvanni, Uvirith's Legacy, and... ?

building up uvirith's legacy and LGNPC telvanni

legacy puts a city around it which to me is over the top

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Any advice on how to play a sneaky stealy charatcer in Morrowind? This is only my third playthrough and I'm still pretty clueless at this game, and I'm also used to Skyrim where sneaking is the meta and the crouch button makes you invisible. I've got the Morrowind Code Patch with all the bugfixes enabled and the pickpocket overhaul, otherwise everything is vanilla besides a mod for higher draw distance.

Character is going to be a sneaky Nord girl, chosen as Nerevarine by Azura specifically to humiliate the Tribunal as much as possible. The Dark Elves hosed up so now one of their most hated enemies gets to be the hero instead.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spellmake a high level chameleon for three seconds spell, and a high level boost security for three seconds spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A goon has some really amazing stealth overhaul mods I'd strongly recommend unless you just really want to experience the vanilla version. In which case, I'd recommend you read the wiki article because there's some useful details about what boots you can wear, cones of vision, etc etc

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Sneak

Are you using AshFall, Beware the Sixth House, and More Deadly Morrowind Denizens? I just always want to champion them.

Edit: ah you mentioned everything is otherwise vanilla.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 18, 2022