Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am surprised that after all of this, Microsoft will still be behind Sony tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looking forward to the dystopian future where I get to pay taxes on the money I earn from playing games 12 hours a day but don't have an employer so I can't get health insurance and don't have a job history so I can never get a real job.

“Eradicate your maladies with Assassin’s Creed health insurance!*”

*Unlocked at 10 hrs/day playtime

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm sorry, you only played 36 hours last week. Your claim has been denied.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

repiv posted:

Microsoft doesn't really need to quit Steam, their strategy is to overprice their games on Steam and offer minimal discounts so users are encouraged to play on Game Pass instead

Like when Forza Horizon 4 came to Steam (over two years after its original launch) they priced it like a brand new full price AAA title... or you could play it on Game Pass

FH5 is out now and yet FH4 still hasn't even had any permanent price drops, it's still £55 to buy outside of sale events

I'm wondering on what they'll do with the Battle.net launcher. Are they going to keep up and just have all the titles also be on Gamepass and Steam? Close it to nudge people toward Gamepass or the Windows Store?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

I am surprised that after all of this, Microsoft will still be behind Sony tho.

Lol. At this rate, Sony will need to buy Nintendo to compete. Or Nintendo buy the PlayStation division, which I don't think is feasible, despite Nintendos fabled mountain of liquid cash.

Or perhaps Sony buying EA, which would be even bigger than this deal.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 18, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I'm wondering on what they'll do with the Battle.net launcher. Are they going to keep up and just have all the titles also be on Gamepass and Steam? Close it to nudge people toward Gamepass or the Windows Store?

A slow death, I imagine. Can't be easy to rip out all the integration & dependencies into the existing games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

They have the Bethesda Launcher too, and newer games like Doom Eternal still require a Bethesda account even if you get them on another store

Long term this stuff will probably get consolidated but it'll take a while to merge all the infrastructure and migrate licences to other stores

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cowcaster posted:

this guy just posted an article on it just a few minutes ago https://ez.substack.com/p/on-the-value-of-time

Good read, thanks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

repiv posted:

They have the Bethesda Launcher too, and newer games like Doom Eternal still require a Bethesda account even if you get them on another store

Long term this stuff will probably get consolidated but it'll take a while to merge all the infrastructure and migrate licences to other stores

Does Doom require Bethesda launcher still? Last I knew, only ESO did.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think it requires the launcher, but you do have to log into a bethesda account in game

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Right, it's really a Zenimax launcher I guess.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Kaddish posted:

Does Doom require Bethesda launcher still? Last I knew, only ESO did.

The ESO has its own stand alone launcher that is different from the Bethesda launcher last I checked.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think it requires the launcher, but you do have to log into a bethesda account in game

This is correct. There are all sorts of tie-in portals with that account like the Slayer’s Club for skins, content, etc.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I guess the end-game will be that you launch StarCraft 3 from Steam and get asked to log in with your Xbox Live account like how Halo Infinite works. They're not gonna use Steamworks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'd rather MS buy EA to be honest. I literally play zero Acivision/Blizzard games currently. But that would be way more expensive.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I would love to sink 100 hours into Diablo 4 and then bitch about how terrible it is in the future, but I've actively avoided Blizz since the whole Blitzchung thing - and rteally then their games largely lost my interest years before then.

But if Bobby's gone I'll probably it :ohdear:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm absolutely playing Diablo 4 on Gamepass, lol.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

TeaJay posted:

Here's me, actually playing games that I like, instead of games that I hate

*points* haha hey everybody get a load of this idiot! what a moron

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kaddish posted:

I'd rather MS buy EA to be honest. I literally play zero Acivision/Blizzard games currently. But that would be way more expensive.
EA would be less expensive than Acti/Blizzard. They're both public companies, so the valuations are pretty clear. By stock price EA is valued at 37.8 Billion. Even with a healthy premium it would still be cheaper, in theory. But the situations are different so I don't know if that kind of takeover would be feasible.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OhFunny posted:

The ESO has its own stand alone launcher that is different from the Bethesda launcher last I checked.

Yeah, the launcher is basically just a loading bar that shows an advertisement for whatever patch or dlc was most recently released. It's pretty harmless as those things go.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

:lol: As an update, I love that game journos are now uncritically passing around the "Robert Kotick is definitely getting a big payout" thing with no confirmation because they can only read part of investor documents apparently:dumbgun:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 19, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

repiv posted:

I guess the end-game will be that you launch StarCraft 3 from Steam and get asked to log in with your Xbox Live account like how Halo Infinite works. They're not gonna use Steamworks.

games for windows live is ready to make a big comeback

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

:lol: As an update, I love that game journos are now uncritically passing around the "Robert Kotick is definetly getting a big payout" thing with no confirmation because they can only read part of investor documents apparently:dumbgun:

He has a shitton activision stock, he's getting a huge payout no matter what

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

EA would be less expensive than Acti/Blizzard. They're both public companies, so the valuations are pretty clear. By stock price EA is valued at 37.8 Billion. Even with a healthy premium it would still be cheaper, in theory. But the situations are different so I don't know if that kind of takeover would be feasible.

My understanding is that EA didn't recently see a 30% devaluation and so wouldn't be amenable to a buyout.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's probably nowhere near the top earner (I presume FIFA is up there), but The Sims would be a hell of a property to get their hands on.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

We don't know for sure. We know that if he is released based on buyout, he gets $300 million.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how wow will work now, not that I play it anymore. Will they still have a monthly sub.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Whatever fantasy we have for Bobby Kotik eating poo poo is a fantasy. He is a billionaire.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What's interesting to me is the future between Steam and Microsoft.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Blizzard's RTS team is gone and the most of the developers of said team are no longer with the company, so I guess Starcraft 3 and Warcraft 4 are in Relic's hands now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kaddish posted:

My guess is they continue bringing everything to Steam, because they’re massively successful on the platform, and maybe add a Gamepass-lite style subscription like EA Play.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Microsoft have 3 of the top 10 selling games on steam at one point. Doubt they'll mess with that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Andrast posted:

True, there was never any (realistic) outcome where Kotick left without a big payout. I'm just grumpy about a pet peeve.

Kaddish posted:

Probably nothing short-term. Gamepass has always been a long-term disruption on the games market but there is no reason for them to interfere with their currently very successful business on Steam. They can do both:shrug:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
*Opens Skyrim, furiously consoles trillions of cheese wheels into my inventory to sell to vendors for them sweet sweet Play To Earn Bux*

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

*Opens Skyrim, furiously consoles trillions of cheese wheels into my inventory to sell to vendors for them sweet sweet Play To Earn Bux*

Chase that money!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I can't see much of a reason in the short term for Microsoft to leave Steam. Their games sell a ton on Steam and if they want people on their ecosystem then they have Gamepass for that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommendations for good kids games on Steam? Edutainment or otherwise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all videogames are for children

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cowcaster posted:

all videogames are for children

Fair.

Any recommendations for Steam games specifically for younger (7 years and under) kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommendations for good kids games on Steam? Edutainment or otherwise.

Tribloos!

..my little niece loves Slime Rancher.