Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

whiskey patrol posted:

Quick update: we all have COVID (probably). Kid caught it as his first day of preschool.

Confirmation that the majority of transmission happens in the household (3+), not school (only 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Yeah this is true 100%. I know someone who had 4 tests, rapid antigen and a PCR, all negative but they had COVID symptoms.

So they swabbed for a rapid test their throat, popped positive. So there are tons of cases out there not being caught because of that. Hell we all might had COVID and didn’t know it because were asymptomatic.

Went and got my daughter tested, 3-5 days for PCR results lmao. Absolutely worthless, wonder how fast China turns around PCR results for entire cities. Probably better than this poo poo country.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

idea: make every antigen test sent by USPS pop positive no matter what, everybody stays home, bing bong

no sorry you gotta come in to work anyway we're short on people

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

goons will unironically believe anything they think is funny and want to be true. whether it's remotely accurate is totally irrelevant

this is how i choose to live my life. wang commander has syrup blood and no force on this earth will sway my belief in that real and true fact.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
now let me tell you about purestrain gold and the iron laws of the universe

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Always don't not be boosting.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

omicron the throat goat

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

this is potentially upsetting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pillowpants posted:

Humanity is the fastest spreading virus of all time.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Looking forward to an endless(?) series of omicron micro-variations. Micromicrons.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

it's really important that people don't get too many covid tests. i hate liberals so loving much

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1482706799392268288

https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1482390056379695104

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1480747518866509824

PCR tests don't detect the BA.2 Omicron variant which will soon become dominant everywhere

Cool, cool

So that means all of the cases worldwide are going to show as dropping off when in fact they're not dropping off at all

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Do we get to call it Covid-22 now?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Finally the US is the one getting destroyed by a B2 stealth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mario leaving Yoshi behind

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Glumwheels posted:

Yeah this is true 100%. I know someone who had 4 tests, rapid antigen and a PCR, all negative but they had COVID symptoms.

So they swabbed for a rapid test their throat, popped positive. So there are tons of cases out there not being caught because of that. Hell we all might had COVID and didn’t know it because were asymptomatic.

Went and got my daughter tested, 3-5 days for PCR results lmao. Absolutely worthless, wonder how fast China turns around PCR results for entire cities. Probably better than this poo poo country.

Similar in our house. Father in law tested positive on throat swab once then pos on PCR, then no more positives on rapid test for a week before suddenly going pos for several days in a row with rapid tests but this time only on nose swabs. Seems to just bounce around randomly idk

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Koirhor posted:

got my aura 9210’s from ISP looks legit I would just appreciate shipping them in the original 3M boxes like Home Depot did for my 80 9205’s.

ISP is breaking down the huge 440 pack cases. 9210s were basically a commercial only product before 2020, so the supply is mostly in the form of large cases.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

BA 2 The Future

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

jetz0r posted:

ISP is breaking down the huge 440 pack cases. 9210s were basically a commercial only product before 2020, so the supply is mostly in the form of large cases.

that makes sense, thanks for the heads up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so covid is gonna get real boring for awhile now that the government has decided to cover the whole thing up huh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

McNugget Buddy posted:

PCR tests don't detect the BA.2 Omicron variant which will soon become dominant everywhere

Cool, cool

you gotta hand it to covid, it's pretty good at its job

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

McNugget Buddy posted:

Cool, cool

So that means all of the cases worldwide are going to show as dropping off when in fact they're not dropping off at all

Looking forward to the next wave in March lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
also if omicron creates wave oscillations that are barely a couple months apart then well 🤣

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Strep Vote posted:

Looking forward to the next wave in March lol

a new wave every 3 months!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stereotype posted:

so covid is gonna get real boring for awhile now that the government has decided to cover the whole thing up huh

Maybe, I think Covid thread will just become endemic in the climate and doomsday econ thread

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
“Very cool and smart of the US to hang all their hopes on vaccines and testing. You know assuming we don’t get an escape variant that evades both vaccines and testing, which is unlikely.” - a dumb person on November 23, 2021

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

omicron the throat goat

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Koirhor posted:

this is potentially upsetting

in the sense of underdog vs. favorite.....yeah

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Trixie Hardcore posted:

- a dumb person on November 23, 2021

You can just say his name

Nate Silver

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

also if omicron creates wave oscillations that are barely a couple months apart then well 🤣

lol it is assuredly what is going to happen because it is an epidemic disease that spreads rapidly once it finds susceptible populations and then mutates into a variant that creates new susceptible populations! it's never gonna end!!! lmao!!!!!!!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Stereotype posted:

I think that just makes it more mysterious and exciting

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

zegermans posted:

Finally the US is the one getting destroyed by a B2 stealth

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McNugget Buddy posted:

Cool, cool

I thought that just meant that you can’t detect whether it’s BA 2 with PCR, not whether you’re infected with some version of the virus

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CPU Abuser posted:

Seems to depend on exactly how you define "Zero Covid".

If you define "zero Covid" as "Covid is eliminated, totally expunged from the face of the Earth", then, yeah, that was never an option.

If you define "zero Covid" as "Covid's prevalence in the human population is crammed down to the point where you're not much more liable to get it than you are rabies, even absent any PPE or distancing or any other unusual precautions", that may be a different story.

Unless you're the in US, of course.

In that case, you're just simply screwed, because your ruling elites are so loving incompetent they can't manage to lace their own shoes without help.

In summer 2020 most of Europe was pretty close, we had about the same numbers as Australia and a bit of local effort got them to zero. Sure, not being an island and going into Fall makes this a bit more difficult, but not insurmountably so.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao at the D&D mod giving Wang Commander a ban for posting a very reasonable statement about mask wearing outside of a small number of liberal enclave cities. He wasn’t even posting with his gimmick there! He was just making a normal post!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
we’re all hosed lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

McNugget Buddy posted:

Cool, cool

PCR picks it up, it just can't be easily distinguished from wild type, Alpha, or Delta because it triggers every single gene target in the PCR test. Omicron mk.1 would trigger all but one of them, so it was easy to distinguish between it and delta.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

I thought that just meant that you can’t detect whether it’s BA 2 with PCR, not whether you’re infected with some version of the virus

ah, i think you're right. pcr was relying on sgtf to distinguish omicron from delta, but since the newly updated omicron is similar to delta in that particular location then that won't work

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

In summer 2020 most of Europe was pretty close, we had about the same numbers as Australia and a bit of local effort got them to zero. Sure, not being an island and going into Fall makes this a bit more difficult, but not insurmountably so.

incidentally, the flu is making a comeback in europe after we beat it down with pandemic controls.

https://twitter.com/medpagetoday/status/1483560834471243786

i really prefer "syndemic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think that just makes it more mysterious and exciting

Each Covid wave is like upping the difficulty in Diablo 2

Luckily I have my unique respirator which gives me 140 poison resistance