Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving hell, didn't realize there was a taskmaster thread.

I want to watch the worst taskmaster possible. The US version. It ran on Comedy Central in about a month in 2018, probably in the middle of the night. I've only seen the clips on youtube. Paramount owns Comedy Central, but there is no US Taskmaster on Paramount+ service. I've already talked to their help bot about it, and filled out my inquiry email form, whenever they'll respond to that.

It's bad, and I want to see how bad besides the 8 minutes on youtube. I'd love any station that would run the uncut UK series here in the states, but no, we get to dick around with youtube and dailymotion if we want taskmaster here.

Alhazred posted:

I'm binging the first seasons of the UK Taskmaster (which, because of how UK telly works, have taken me an hour) and Rob Beckett just seems...wrong. Like an off brand muppet voiced by someone with plugs in their ears who only have a vague understanding about what language is.

One of my favorite moments from the entire run of series was Rob Beckett and Sara Pascoe sitting next to each other and Rob saying something like "mommy always did say we were special" with perfect timing.

Rob's fine, has good energy, generally positive. He's weird, but no weirder than many other contestants. But I'm american so what would I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I want to watch the worst taskmaster possible. The US version.

This is unlikely because they tried to make a German version of taskmaster, staffed it with 3 of the worst people in German comedy, an actor and a reality-tv dude, made Atze Schröder the taskmaster (imagine boring Ali G), and cancelled it, unaired, 2 episodes into producing a pilot season.

I need to see this and I probably never will.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been trying to figure out how to describe Atze Schröder specifically in this context but

Sereri posted:

(imagine boring Ali G)
yeah

I don't know German showbiz very well but I can't think of anyone who could do it, or rather I absolutely could but you can't really get 90s Harald Schmidt and Herbert Feuerstein back.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The cancelled spanish one can be found on YouTube. It's all a bit slow and verbose, and the studio feels to flashy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sereri posted:

This is unlikely because they tried to make a German version of taskmaster, staffed it with 3 of the worst people in German comedy, an actor and a reality-tv dude, made Atze Schröder the taskmaster (imagine boring Ali G), and cancelled it, unaired, 2 episodes into producing a pilot season.

I need to see this and I probably never will.

Imagine how miserable that shoot must have been if they cancelled it before they even finished filming.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Pablo Bluth posted:

The cancelled spanish one can be found on YouTube. It's all a bit slow and verbose, and the studio feels to flashy

From what I remember of a review of it at the time, apparently it was overlong and mostly involved the contestants arguing points in the studio.

I’m surprised that an Australian version hasn’t been made yet. Considering the number of UK formats they’ve tried to adapt this seems like the most obvious one to take a shot at.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd quite like to see that with the Katering Show ladies involved. Not sure whether as Taskmaster/Assistant or competitors but either way.

e: to be fair they're the only Australian comedians I know apart from Adam Hills and Tim Minchin and if anything TMUK would probably poach those two

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 18, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I presume that Australia and New Zealand share a comedy circuit to a certain degree? I figured that if TMNZ runs for long enough, they might supplement home grown talent with Aussies?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched the US version as it came out. It was just dull. And each episode was 20 minutes long.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I watched TMUS when it came out and I'd say I was surprised at how bad it was, but I've seen Payne so I know how bad the US can be at converting UK comedy.

I also have all eight episodes saved in 720p format and I'd be willing to share them somewhere, but, you know...:filez:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched the US version as it came out. It was just dull. And each episode was 20 minutes long.

yeah fitting it into half an hour killed any chances of it working

also i don't think lisa lampanelli's 'queen of mean' schtick really fit the tone

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 18, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

drunken officeparty posted:

That's just american tv in general, the average 30 minute show is actually 21 minutes once you include commercials. It's really loving annoying. Unless it's a premium channel show (HBO, showtime, etc), you get 8+ minutes of commercials per 30 minute show.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I watched TMUS when it came out and I'd say I was surprised at how bad it was, but I've seen Payne so I know how bad the US can be at converting UK comedy.

I also have all eight episodes saved in 720p format and I'd be willing to share them somewhere, but, you know...:filez:

See also: Call Me Kat. Not that I've seen Miranda, but I don't know how Kat got renewed.

I intend to badger Paramount into adding TMUS to +. No reason it shouldn't be on there.

And there was one attempt to run UKTM here, but it ran one night before being cancelled and was butchered down for time and content because the CW network sucks. We suck at tv game and comedian shows here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'll die on the hill that, for all the issues with the US version, Ron Funches was a great contestant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And there was one attempt to run UKTM here, but it ran one night before being cancelled and was butchered down for time and content because the CW network sucks. We suck at tv game and comedian shows here.
I still believe The CW thought they were buying a Marvel's Taskmaster series...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably. And I'm not a comics fan. Sick of seeing that poo poo everywhere. But they should know better, everything marvel is disney now.

I think it would run well on Comedy Central after the daily show, without having to edit for content or language. Putting it on CW was a complete waste of time. I think they tried running it during primetime on a sunday during March Madness (college basketball tournament), like it was going to get any eyes.

I love Ron Funches too, and that's part of why I want to see it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I just looked out of curiosity and all 8 episodes of TMUS were uploaded to YouTube 3 months ago. Unsurprisingly there's hardly any views on the videos.

Edit: Upon further investigation it appears that "This video contains content from ViacomCBS, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". if I try and access it from a US IP. Probably accessible using an Invidious instance though.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I just looked out of curiosity and all 8 episodes of TMUS were uploaded to YouTube 3 months ago. Unsurprisingly there's hardly any views on the videos.

Not that I'm finding. Are you in the US?

E: Yeah, can't find it on my lovely american youtube, just a few short clips and a couple videos by youtubers youtubesplaining its failure.

Reminds me of what happened with series 12, when the new episodes stopped showing up on Ozmartin's channel and I had to switch to DailyMotion and their godawful xbox app to watch the rest of the series.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 18, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not that I'm finding. Are you in the US?

Just checked and I get them in Canada but not the US.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yup, that's what I thought. Blocked in the US. Lol.

E:. Only got the automated email back from Paramount so far. "Due to high volume..." We'll see if I ever hear back about it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Have you heard of Invidious? Lets you watch YouTube using a different interface. Also sometimes lets you watch videos that are blocked in your country or are age restricted.

https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't. But I do most of my youtubin' on my xbox. I haven't touched my computer in months.

I will look into it though. Thanks!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That Taskmaster Minnesota thing that someone shared was better than Taskmaster US.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Something tells me 20 minutes of watching pigs play in poo poo would be better than the US Taskmaster.

But I still want to watch it. Mostly for the hatewatch feeling. Who the gently caress thought Reggie Watts was imposing enough to be the taskmaster? Dude couldn't scare off a kitten. And I'm convinced James Corden had something to do with Watts being given the job.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
lol to save time they only have one person do a prize task an episode it seems...

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yup, that's what I thought. Blocked in the US. Lol.

E:. Only got the automated email back from Paramount so far. "Due to high volume..." We'll see if I ever hear back about it.

It's still available on the comedy central site https://www.cc.com/episodes/3x4d8x/taskmaster-physics-season-1-ep-1

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Managed to watch the whole US series, it's not that great... only two filmed tasks an episode and even then it feels so rushed. There's like no studio banter either so you don't really get an idea of who the comedians are by the end. What's worse is that every single task is one from the UK version so the whole show is just abbreviated tasks that you've seen presented better before.
I'd say the only times I chuckled a bit were during the flag meals, because some of them were just so bad but other than that it was completely unmemorable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nice, I may break out the laptop for it.

And that's exactly what I'm going to throw back at Paramount+ when I get an email saying they won't add the show for (reasons).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm slightly concerned that they still haven't confirmed a NZ series 3.

Fo' real. How is this not a slam dunk decision.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Didn't NZ recently decide to say gently caress it on covid measures? I'd assume that might have something to do with it.

I love their taskmaster house though, it's the best of any I've seen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was at least partly funded by some scheme called NZ on air.
https://twitter.com/nzonair/status/1367645092152971265?lang=en

I'm guessing either it's a question of timing in winning more funding, or so far they've failed to get more (perhaps NZ On Air will only refund the same things so many times, viewing taking risks as more their remit). Whatever it is, there doesn't seem to be any official chatter that gives any hint.

I agree on the house. The OG house is starting to feel a bit underwhelming compared to the international series. While the fact it's a bungalow does allow for most of the floorplan to be explored (most of the other houses tend to be an exterior plus a few rooms located within undefined mystery locations within the building), an upstairs and larger garden would be attractive.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 18, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If they confirmed season 2 in March, there's still time.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
yeah, the second season got funding in march 21 and aired in july 21.

nz on air has funded another comedy panel show for more than a decade, and i'd guess that they'll continue supporting taskmaster if it keeps doing well.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.nzonair.govt.nz/search/?search_type=decisions&q=taskmaster

S1 got it's funding Sept 2019 and aired Oct-Dec 2020
S2 got it's funding March 2021 and aired Jul-Sep 2021

There were funding decisions announced in Sept and Dec. Hopefully it's just moving to predictable annual cycle of funding confirmation in March. The good sign is how quickly they managed to show S2 after it was confirmed.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

While NZS2 was airing I remember reading that the series was performing much better than expected, so I'd be shocked if it got dropped. Fingers are crossed though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

All citizens of New Zealand have either been on or are producing the show. They’ve just ran out of people.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is it too much of a stretch if I pump "I Literally Just Told You" here on the basis that it's a funny English gameshow and Alex Horne was on episode 3? (I don't see a better thread for it and thought other TM folks might appreciate it)

Episode 2 had me hurt myself from cry-laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwKmt4nZ1dc

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Who are some of the better Aussie comedians they could get?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it too much of a stretch if I pump "I Literally Just Told You" here on the basis that it's a funny English gameshow and Alex Horne was on episode 3? (I don't see a better thread for it and thought other TM folks might appreciate it)

Episode 2 had me hurt myself from cry-laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwKmt4nZ1dc

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it, but as someone with a garbage memory that constantly causes problems it makes me very tense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Who are some of the better Aussie comedians they could get?

There are probably enough members of The Chaser for at least two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Have you been paying attention' is a news quiz type thing with an Aus and NZ version and there's plenty of people on there they could use (and already have, for NZ)