Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is that an actual full episode because it looks like a web short the Hillary campaign paid them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunken officeparty posted:

Is that an actual full episode because it looks like a web short the Hillary campaign paid them to do.

It was in the actual show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I won't say the Hillary clip ruined the show but I will say the quality went down in the seasons after and it really sucked because the show started so strong

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I actively hated that a lot of people referred to it as Workaholics for girls because it was so sharply written compared to Workaholics (tho I do have a soft spot for like the first 3 seasons and a smattering of episodes to the end of that series) but just so much potential for a quality series run Broad City had and they flushed a lot of good will with that episode and it was like they kinda knew it too tbh so it makes sense the series kinda flagged into the end.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is your cat making too much noise all the time???

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Broad city was really funny. Y’all are insane people if you think one dumb scene ruined an entire show. The entire episode told through Instagram stories was waaaaaaay worse

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its not strictly that the one scene ruined the whole show, just that

ya know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Shut up! Shut up! Oh my GOD I don’t care.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
*Mac snatches away and eats the lawyer's contract*

"Ha ha! Fortunately, I made hundreds of copies of that!"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sunny jumped the shark when they introduced a zany new character in S2E1

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Natasha Leggero wasn’t that zany

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Tired: The Gang Goes to Ireland

Wired: The Gang Goes to the Mushroom Kingdom

Holiday 2022 :getin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Mario, can an rear end in a top hat rip in half?"
"Like-a tissue paper, yahoo!"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The podcast is so good! It is funny how similar their sense of humor / vibe is to their on screen characters, in some way. Is Glenn Dennis-ing it up, or is Dennis Glenn-ing it up? Where are the lines... good stuff!

Mac talking about willing to throw down for drive-thru honor in a parking lot, does seem fairly Mac.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heavy Metal posted:

The podcast is so good! It is funny how similar their sense of humor / vibe is to their on screen characters, in some way. Is Glenn Dennis-ing it up, or is Dennis Glenn-ing it up? Where are the lines... good stuff!

Mac talking about willing to throw down for drive-thru honor in a parking lot, does seem fairly Mac.

I love his,"Ahhhh this might have been the wrong moral lesson...." reaction when he asked his kids if they were scared and they said him being ready to fight a dude at a drive-thru was awesome :lol:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Natasha Leggero wasn’t that zany

lol googled that to remember it and found this

https://www.reddit.com/r/community/comments/1dleof/spoiler_the_stripper_that_jeff_represented_used/

Community and Sunny in the same universe

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

moist turtleneck posted:

I won't say the Hillary clip ruined the show but I will say the quality went down in the seasons after and it really sucked because the show started so strong

What season did that happen in, I recently started binge-watching the show from the beginning (in the evenings after work) and I don't remember that (and I just finished the finale for Season13 last night)?

Side note I know it's been done to death in articles/etc. about the show but I really like how the show handles Mac being gay without being too homophobic (at least so far).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Midway season 3 (in broad city not always sunny)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ah! Oops.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i agree that the hilary in broad city scene ruined its always sunny

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*turns off TV*

Welp, that was TV. Had a good run.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i agree that the hilary in broad city scene ruined its always sunny

Hates freedom.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mean a Hillary Clinton scene in Its Always Sunny would end up with the gang spitting on her somehow

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dorium posted:

Yep. I was a big fan of Broad City and then this happened and I just bailed on the show. Never even watched the final season. I was just out.

this is just so weird. the rest of the show was still great and hilarious. plus if youre not a nerd you dont even know who that gmilf is

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Sunny jumped the shark when they introduced a zany new character in S2E1

I got into Always Sunny when it was already 5 or so seasons in, and in my first watch I was definitely suss of Devito for the first episode or two, assuming that having to bring in a big name star would ruin the vibe of the show.

Never more happy to be wrong.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Senor Tron posted:

I got into Always Sunny when it was already 5 or so seasons in, and in my first watch I was definitely suss of Devito for the first episode or two, assuming that having to bring in a big name star would ruin the vibe of the show.

Never more happy to be wrong.

by far the greatest post-first season main character introduction of any show imo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pattonesque posted:

by far the greatest post-first season main character introduction of any show imo

Just wait for season 16 when Hilary joins the gang

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Frank Gets A New Whore Wife

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Brevity is not exactly my strong suit but bear with me because there's something I've been trying to put into words for a couple of days now regarding Sunny and edgy humour. Basically, I've been rewatching a lot of older episodes and finding it increasingly difficult to justify enjoying the jokes and storylines.

Maybe it's the evolution of the zeitgeist, or my own growth as a person (although I haven't exactly done much of that in the past year). But previously, I used to justify to others (and maybe also to myself) that The Gang largely 'gets a pass' for jokes based in reprehensible, regressive humour "because it's well-established from day one that they're all horrible, narcissistic people." And that's true, I mean you couldn't throw a Sunny plotline about homophobia into another sitcom mid-season and expect people not to protest it. And you kind of have to explain that to a first-time Sunny watcher, don't you?

But someone upthread pointed out to me that the idea that Charlie is 'the lovable harmless one' (the impetus for writing 'Charlie & Dee Find Love') is wrong from the get-go; the entire plot of the fourth episode of the entire series is him gaslighting his friends into thinking he has cancer so he can bang the Waitress (gently caress, half the episodes in season 1 are about Charlie being a sociopath). And I've been watching earlier seasons lately with that thought in mind. How did they get away with this stuff, was it because the show was so under-the-RADAR in the first little while that this understanding was firmed up without any calls from activists to cancel the show? Do you suppose this fed their egos as writers, leading us to such gems of dialog as "rape you until the room stinks" or "look out, human being"?

Even when the joke isn't on the characters being monstrous, there's some surprising stuff in the early seasons. In 'Mac & Dennis: Manhunters', when Charlie and Dee think they've been eating human, they wonder for a moment about where to go to get "weird meats." The camera cuts to a shot of Chinatown, at which presumably we're supposed to laugh.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here at all, I just find it very confusing. Maybe the most confusing recurring plot is that of Carmen, and Mac's relationship with her. Right off the bat, her presence is there as some sort of foil (is that the wrong word?) to Mac as a confused gay man. And her return in later episodes brings some genuinely thoughtful and surprisingly progressive commentary from the Gang. But they still throw around the word "tranny" like it's her name.

Again, I dunno. I'm not going to stop enjoying the show or anything crazy, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's just a thought.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

You should try going outside. It's just a drat tv show.

If you want a real answer, this generation doesn't understand nuance at all and spends every waking moment trying to flagellate themselves for any deemed impure thought. It's ok to laugh at a joke. That doesn't make you homophobic, or racist, or whatever other label you're desperately trying to attach to yourself. Life's too short to beat yourself up over a tv show.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 21, 2022

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Mister Speaker posted:

Brevity is not exactly my strong suit but bear with me because there's something I've been trying to put into words for a couple of days now regarding Sunny and edgy humour. Basically, I've been rewatching a lot of older episodes and finding it increasingly difficult to justify enjoying the jokes and storylines.

Maybe it's the evolution of the zeitgeist, or my own growth as a person (although I haven't exactly done much of that in the past year). But previously, I used to justify to others (and maybe also to myself) that The Gang largely 'gets a pass' for jokes based in reprehensible, regressive humour "because it's well-established from day one that they're all horrible, narcissistic people." And that's true, I mean you couldn't throw a Sunny plotline about homophobia into another sitcom mid-season and expect people not to protest it. And you kind of have to explain that to a first-time Sunny watcher, don't you?

But someone upthread pointed out to me that the idea that Charlie is 'the lovable harmless one' (the impetus for writing 'Charlie & Dee Find Love') is wrong from the get-go; the entire plot of the fourth episode of the entire series is him gaslighting his friends into thinking he has cancer so he can bang the Waitress (gently caress, half the episodes in season 1 are about Charlie being a sociopath). And I've been watching earlier seasons lately with that thought in mind. How did they get away with this stuff, was it because the show was so under-the-RADAR in the first little while that this understanding was firmed up without any calls from activists to cancel the show? Do you suppose this fed their egos as writers, leading us to such gems of dialog as "rape you until the room stinks" or "look out, human being"?

Even when the joke isn't on the characters being monstrous, there's some surprising stuff in the early seasons. In 'Mac & Dennis: Manhunters', when Charlie and Dee think they've been eating human, they wonder for a moment about where to go to get "weird meats." The camera cuts to a shot of Chinatown, at which presumably we're supposed to laugh.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here at all, I just find it very confusing. Maybe the most confusing recurring plot is that of Carmen, and Mac's relationship with her. Right off the bat, her presence is there as some sort of foil (is that the wrong word?) to Mac as a confused gay man. And her return in later episodes brings some genuinely thoughtful and surprisingly progressive commentary from the Gang. But they still throw around the word "tranny" like it's her name.

Again, I dunno. I'm not going to stop enjoying the show or anything crazy, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's just a thought.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I would like to respond but I don't have the time right now. The dismissive replies are dumb, though.

They're also 0/2 for responding in the perfect way if they wanted to be taints. (All genders have taints.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It is indeed rough to watch a lot of those older episodes. Charlie even drops a hard-R n-bomb and that one wasn't even that long ago. The podcast just glides over rough spots with "I think we addressed this already in the past", but it's tough to listen to Charlie Day talk about "a rape joke isn't funny" and then watch Charlie Kelly make a rape joke.

I dunno, it's weird and you're (Mister Speaker) not wrong to feel some level of discomfort with it. It's like going back and watching Ace Ventura after you learn about the concept of "trans panic".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Oh drat, how could I forget about the quintessential example of Ace Ventura? There is some validity to "it was just the style at the time," I think, like a sci-fi author from the 1960s writing antiquated tropes about gays into their book that takes place 10,000 years in the future.

ChesterJT posted:

You should try going outside.

No, that doesn't sound right.

quote:

If you want a real answer, this generation doesn't understand nuance at all and spends every waking moment trying to flagellate themselves for any deemed impure thought. It's ok to laugh at a joke. That doesn't make you homophobic, or racist, or whatever other label you're desperately trying to attach to yourself. Life's too short to beat yourself up over a tv show.

OK, I get that. Maybe a bit "kids these days" but I get it. IDK if 'nuanced' is the right term for some of the stuff on the show though. Like I mentioned about the Chinatown bit, the joke is literally "haha yeah Chinese people eat gross meats like dog and monkey and maybe human?" Using terms that you know are slurs isn't really something I'd call 'nuance' either. Nobody's beating themselves up, I just find it a bit confusing - actually, fascinating really, how the Gang has so successfully toed the line over fifteen years. Maybe it's that they don't 'double down' in the same way that some entertainers do. They move on, and maybe make another episode about it a few seasons later that's deeply self-referential - or they have a conversation about it and remove some content. Now that I think about it, I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting that resulted in pulling their 'blackface' episodes. Glad I still have those on my Plex server, in any case.

The best friend I've basically marathoned every season of Sunny with is POC and this stuff has never really come up. We've shown the show to gay and trans friends and they loved it. Hell, I grew up watching Apatow comedies with friends who are now extremely-militant transpeople, and they still love to sit down every couple of years and watch 'The 40-Year Old Virgin'. Like I said, still love the content and the humour, it's just new ground is all.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 21, 2022

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

To be serious, this is a show about terrible characters doing terrible things. Their actions aren't being endorsed or promoted as a positive thing and their racism/misogyny almost always ends with them much the worse for the wear. And sure, plenty of jokes from the early seasons have aged poorly, but other great shows also have early seasons that are really rocky nowadays (like the Venture Bros), because what's OK to use as a joke has changed over the decades. They talk about this a lot in the podcast, including how they think they got by avoiding all the Christian outrage of the 00's just by being so unknown.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the reason why it's so funny is because every human being has a lovely side to them somewhere. not saying everyone is racist and transphobic, but we've all done things we knew we shouldn't have, we all have regrets and things we wished we wouldn't say or do.

sunny is a show about people who are almost always like the way we are/can be at our worst, and we watch them suffer for it. it's cathartic and relatable and also a bit relieving to watch characters act freely in ways we sometimes wish we might be able to. again, in a "say whatever you want even if it's lovely" type of way, not a "throw around racial slurs" type of way."

something that eludes all of this new, and historic, "enlightenment" about how to be the perfect human and never say a bad word or offend anyone ever is the concept of forgiveness. at least with religion where you're born with original sin and are supposed to feel guilt about everything, you are absolved by a priest or whatever. with today's terminally on twitter crowd, there's no forgiveness for anything unless you just constantly screech about how pure you are. it's bullshit.

you can acknowledge that the early seasons had jokes that don't quite hold up because we as a society have moved on from those types of humor. the actors/show creators acknowledge this on the podcast and even in certain follow-up episodes. but you don't have to strike always sunny from your list of enjoyed shows bc it didn't always exist in whatever form of perfect purity standard you suddenly want to hold it to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

You should try going outside. It's just a drat tv show.

This isn't at all what's happening and that generation hasn't come after Sunny at all to begin with and most seem to really enjoy it.

People are finally reckoning with the fact that jokes aren't a license to do and say any awful loving thing you feel like and that's a good thing.

And if you don't agree? Go gently caress yourself, dipshit. Just kidding.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Didn't people used to appreciate when art held a mirror up to society?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the reason why it's so funny is because every human being has a lovely side to them somewhere. not saying everyone is racist and transphobic, but we've all done things we knew we shouldn't have, we all have regrets and things we wished we wouldn't say or do.

sunny is a show about people who are almost always like the way we are/can be at our worst, and we watch them suffer for it. it's cathartic and relatable and also a bit relieving to watch characters act freely in ways we sometimes wish we might be able to. again, in a "say whatever you want even if it's lovely" type of way, not a "throw around racial slurs" type of way."

something that eludes all of this new, and historic, "enlightenment" about how to be the perfect human and never say a bad word or offend anyone ever is the concept of forgiveness. at least with religion where you're born with original sin and are supposed to feel guilt about everything, you are absolved by a priest or whatever. with today's terminally on twitter crowd, there's no forgiveness for anything unless you just constantly screech about how pure you are. it's bullshit.

you can acknowledge that the early seasons had jokes that don't quite hold up because we as a society have moved on from those types of humor. the actors/show creators acknowledge this on the podcast and even in certain follow-up episodes. but you don't have to strike always sunny from your list of enjoyed shows bc it didn't always exist in whatever form of perfect purity standard you suddenly want to hold it to.

This hits the nail on the head, nothing really to add except I'm giving them my T-word pass because the jokes around Carmen were always at the gangs expense and she was just portrayed as a normal well adjusted woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, the show makes it pretty clear that you aren't supposed to root for the characters at all (if anything, you're supposed to look forward to karmic justice of any kind that occurs during the show).

They all have some pretty impressive ability to recover from physical injury though. The Gang should have long since been in prison or dead for the stuff they pull on a regular basis.