Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, thank you for all of the replies everyone! I was not expecting such a response. That is all incredibly useful info! I wont get to go through it in fine detail until later after work but I'm excited to have so much to work with.

Re: Greece and Anatolia also being mountainous - of course, but they received more focus and detail in the education I've received and the historical stuff I've read on those areas. Therefore I had a better idea about how to handle them when setting up their regions for the map I'm making. On the other hand, I knew pretty much nothing about Persia in comparison and I was having bad luck researching - like Tulip said the map I used as an example did a bad job showing me what I was looking for, while Tulip and Slim Jim Pickens' maps and info do a way better job showing me what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wow, thank you for all of the replies everyone! I was not expecting such a response. That is all incredibly useful info! I wont get to go through it in fine detail until later after work but I'm excited to have so much to work with.

Re: Greece and Anatolia also being mountainous - of course, but they received more focus and detail in the education I've received and the historical stuff I've read on those areas. Therefore I had a better idea about how to handle them when setting up their regions for the map I'm making. On the other hand, I knew pretty much nothing about Persia in comparison and I was having bad luck researching - like Tulip said the map I used as an example did a bad job showing me what I was looking for, while Tulip and Slim Jim Pickens' maps and info do a way better job showing me what I'm looking for.

Something else to note (if this might at all be useful for your board game) is that historically speaking plateaus were excellent seats of empire as they are much easier to project power out of than in to. Ancient Iranian dynasties' preoccupation with Mesopotamia has already been discussed; see also (what is today) Afghanistan and South Asia.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Another element to consider is that both the overall climate and the Mesopotamian regional environment have changed significantly since the ancient era. The rich resources of the Fertile Crescent have been heavily depleted - the soil, water, forests, and wildlife have been adversely impacted by the centuries of human habitation, and particularly in the last 200 years. The empire of Darius the Great was built on trade and well-irrigated agriculture (wine, cereal, and livestock), but much of the environment that made that possible has been diminished in the intervening time.

This is a great essay on Iran's cultural tradition of naturalism, particularly in poetry:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00210862.2016.1241563

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey I got a question about the Greek and non-greek populations of Ptolemaic Egypt were they they the only ones that could be under arms before they started letting native Egyptians get recruited or were there like other special snowflake ethnic groups that got similar status to the Greek settlers?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iraq was a lot greener 3000+ years ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can see Susa here is down out of the mountains a bit close to the gulf.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius posted:

You can see Susa here is down out of the mountains a bit close to the gulf.

I'm the A in Parthians

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also to elaborate on a point that was made earlier, that area is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. Here's modern day Iraq and Iran imposed over a map of Europe and the United States, for comparison. Obviously Persia didn't match the borders of those two countries exactly, but you can get an idea of how vast the area is for civilizations/empires to emerge from.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
God I love map writing

ALPS ALPS ALPS ALPS

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

skasion posted:

God I love map writing

ALPS ALPS ALPS ALPS

Please don't doxx my drunken street labeling when I'm doing my GIS practice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also to elaborate on a point that was made earlier, that area is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. Here's modern day Iraq and Iran imposed over a map of Europe and the United States, for comparison. Obviously Persia didn't match the borders of those two countries exactly, but you can get an idea of how vast the area is for civilizations/empires to emerge from.

This a fun overlay but we also need a version that just fills in to the land mass starting in a corner to see how many states it takes.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
One thing to note about the Achaemenid Persians is that they were the first empire to occupy a territory of that size and they pioneered a bunch of institutions in order to do that successfully. They didn't really have a single capital like previous empires: there was no Assur or Babylon they projected power from. Instead, the Shah's court was mobile, with basically a tent city they could move throughout the year. They could visit their satrapies and bring the state apparatus with them, allowing them to renew ties with local leaders and show them how powerful they were with their obscenely luxurious mobile tent-palaces and the thousands of people who came with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
big road guys as well

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

One thing to note about the Achaemenid Persians is that they were the first empire to occupy a territory of that size and they pioneered a bunch of institutions in order to do that successfully. They didn't really have a single capital like previous empires: there was no Assur or Babylon they projected power from. Instead, the Shah's court was mobile, with basically a tent city they could move throughout the year. They could visit their satrapies and bring the state apparatus with them, allowing them to renew ties with local leaders and show them how powerful they were with their obscenely luxurious mobile tent-palaces and the thousands of people who came with them.

Interestingly, a similar system shows up later again in the early Holy Roman Empire, where the Kings/Emperors adopted Charlemagne's system of simply moving around with their Hofstaat to where they were needed the most.

Charlemagne preferred Aachen, which is the most famous of the "Pfalzen", the places build and maintained to house the wandering emperors.

Here's a long list (in German) of the many, many Königspfalzen build over time.

The one in Goslar I even visited myself, it's up in the Harzer Mountains (Northern Germany). King/Emperor Heinrich IV, from the House of Salier was born in Goslar and spend a lot of time there. He lived from 1050 to 1106 and his reign was plagued with Saxon uprisings, multiple counter-kings cropping up and a lengthy fight with the pope. Which ended in tears for him.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's even present (to a lesser extend) in Tudor England. Elizabeth I made a habit of having a moving court, and obliging her unwilling noble hosts to take on the cost of hosting them - which was an effective way of both cementing her rule kingdom-wide and putting financial pressure on her opponents

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Somehow it was always Lord Edmund Blackadder who ended up paying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Itinerant kingship is a pretty common pattern from Rome on down. You can see it as an outgrowth of the proconsular system, once you got the big dignity you aren’t supposed to just sit around town, but go out and wreck someone else’s poo poo. Emperors who stayed in the city for too long like Nero or Commodus risked pissing off its elites and losing their connection with the frontier military, which predictably swooped in after both those guys got bumped off. Basically, in a certain kind of society, the highest authority HAS to be itinerant or it will lose its high authority to johnny on the spot. The tetrarchic government took a crack at this problem by making “frontier capitals” like Trier, Milan etc where the emperors can live permanently without needing to devolve military authority over the frontier armies, but both before and after this it’s pretty much all emperors wandering around trying to take charge of whatever is on fire at the moment, until the emperors eventually give up, go back to their cities, and let generalissimos take on the business of reeling from crisis to crisis in the provinces. Then theres a 50/50 chance of state collapse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, the Royal Progress of constantly moving the king and his court was a big part of medieval government. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerant_court

It had a whole bunch of uses:
1) You could park your court in an area where you suspected loyalties were a little thin to keep an eye on people
2) Moving the court around means you don't exhaust all the food and timber and game in a region
3) You get to dump the cost of maintaining your court onto your subjects (and it's a good way to pauperize a disloyal, ungrateful, or disliked noble)
4) You get to follow seasonal trends for maximum enjoyment and comfort (move south in the winter to avoid the cold, move north in the summer to avoid the heat, arrive at hunting forests at the exact right moment for hunting the prey that you want, etc.)
5) If there's a crisis (like an invasion or an uprising) you can move to near where the crisis is occurring to manage it more closely (or if something is really threatening, you can move away from it)
6) Every time you move to a new place, the locals have to put on a big ceremony welcoming you and you get to progress through the city or town in all your finery while crowds cheer. It's a good way to get out to see and be seen by your subjects.

And on and on.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Old Kingdom Egypt would send the king up and down the Nile during tax collection season, so it's about as old a tradition as it gets

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

It's also interesting that this was happening as late as the 1880s in Ethiopia. I haven't studied the imperial history of the country much, but Addis Ababa is basically the capital because it's the last place Emperor Menelik II's court settled down. The royal family enjoyed the hot springs there, and he expanded his empress's house into the imperial palace, which is still the seat of government to this day.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
What's interesting (IMHO) is the transition away from itinerant courts and towards permanent settled courts, most famously Louis XIV and Versailles (and all its imitators), because it turns all the virtues and characteristics of the traveling on their head. Instead of going out and keeping an eye on your magnates, you force them to come to your palace (where you can keep an eye on them), etc.

Eventually, all the big shots in Europe end up constructing multiple giant luxury palaces (often in the form of deluxe 'hunting lodges') and they'd travel between them on a seasonal basis, dragging their courts with them.

(I just finished reading Blanning's The Pursuit of Glory, which goes into this quite a bit).

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FMguru posted:

What's interesting (IMHO) is the transition away from itinerant courts and towards permanent settled courts, most famously Louis XIV and Versailles (and all its imitators), because it turns all the virtues and characteristics of the traveling on their head. Instead of going out and keeping an eye on your magnates, you force them to come to your palace (where you can keep an eye on them), etc.

The shogunate did this version of it too.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

The shogunate did this version of it too.

Honestly the Shogunate made alot of these tricks into a high artform.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I guess Beijing as Chinese capital is also a result of the emperors needing to keep an eye on the northern frontier?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Drakhoran posted:

I guess Beijing as Chinese capital is also a result of the emperors needing to keep an eye on the northern frontier?

It looks the first Ming emperor gave his sons large fiefs and when the inevitable succession crisis hit, the one based in Beijing won and just moved the capital there since all his stuff was already there. I hate moving so I can see that being a good reason to do it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There have been a lot of different Chinese capitals over China's history, a big hint should be that "Beijing" means "northern capital" and "Nanjing" means "southern capital." Nanjing was the main Chinese capital at several points in the 20th century. AFAIK Beijing first became nation-wide capital under Kublai Khan, for whom it was a midpoint to exert power over both the Mongol heartland and the north China plain.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yep. Itinerant courts are a pretty successful model. The Persians were the first to use it to project power over a big multi-ethnic empire and are kind of unique in that they don't even really have a nominal capital. The Achaemenid "capitals" at Persepolis and Pasargadae weren't really cities, more like giant estates that acted as ritual centers and had huge tracts of land you could park your tents at. The Greeks couldn't really comprehend the Persian system and so they wrote stuff about the Persians having multiple capitals that they moved from throughout the year, but it didn't really work like that, based on recent archaeology.

This system also makes some of the Greek accounts of Persian wealth make sense: Alexander and the earlier victors at Plataea were dumbstruck by the wealth on display in Persian camps, comparing them to palaces, but that's because they were palaces. The Shah would spend much of the year living in these things and they had to be swag; he's the wealthiest, most powerful man in the world and to not show that off would be stupid.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This does have the disadvantage of not having nice high walls to have your wealth behind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a city is basically just what happens when you leave ritual and administrative institutions in a single place for long enough, anyways

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Walls are just force multipliers for your bowmen. No bowmen, walls are useless. Alot of bowmen, walls aren't necessary.

The persian kings thought they had enough bowmen.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Phobophilia posted:

Walls are just force multipliers for your bowmen. No bowmen, walls are useless. Alot of bowmen, walls aren't necessary.

Where did you pick this up from?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tulip posted:

:ssh: I think he's being sarcastic :ssh:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Tulip posted:

Cyrus the Great :agesilaus:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was talking to someone the other day and they said Cicero correctly and I almost fainted I was so happy

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

euphronius posted:

I was talking to someone the other day and they said Cicero correctly and I almost fainted I was so happy

Church Latin supremacy. not Kurk Latin

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

euphronius posted:

"Cheechero"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Xixero

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

no one tell the romans that you can't both move around and have walls. it would make them very sad

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Walls are really just the friends you find along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Love how we've come full round to setting up quick standardized encampments in modern warfare in an very similar fashion to Roman card camps.