Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Karloff posted:

The writer's motivation for the article I suspect is left a bit ambiguous by design. Presumably when she sought interviews for it from either side she pitched that it would be "balanced" so she couldn't make it plainly apologia or condemnation. There were some moments in the writing that made me suspect she was trying to mount a defence of Whedon, early on she refers to his ex-wife's account as "sensational" which to my mind undermines the seriousness of that letter and implies the claims were fanciful. She also describes him with great empathy early on, describing his pain which leans into the tortured artist stereotype which is so often used to justify heinous acts.

However, the sheer amount of stones she uncovered and research she did - exposing Whedon as even more of a creep - and her choice to end the article with his quote about how he's too nice, which is clearly outrageous considering what we've just read says to me that she was very intentionally puncturing the artifice he's built around himself. Judging by the reaction on the internet: Mission Accomplished.

Yeah, that's my takeaway too. She's not overtly calling him a liar or condemning him but the structure and framing of the article IMO really leads you to one pretty clear conclusion by the end of it and that choice of quote just seals it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An attempt a rehabilitation wouldn’t have included any of the searing testimony from the women he wronged, or half the psycho stuff he says directly to her because he thinks it will somehow help him. Really, the trick is letting him speak for himself as much as possible.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
it's a hit piece (is that the right terminology when it's both accurate and deserved by the subject?) with a layer of plausible :decorum: deniability over it, yeah

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah it seems pretty obvious to me that she road the line because if she just wrote about what an rear end in a top hat he was outright he probably wasn't going to tell her anything.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also says he doesn’t particularly care how you interpret it as long as you pay which undercuts that a lot

Not in a good way

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

One very clear giveaway (apart from the uh everything) is that she includes Whedon saying he was advised to use an excuse to get up if he was uncomfortable with a subject. You don't put that in a profile if you're making them sympathetic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chloe Jessica posted:

it's a hit piece (is that the right terminology when it's both accurate and deserved by the subject?) with a layer of plausible :decorum: deniability over it, yeah

A rope-piece. As in giving him just enough.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

One very clear giveaway (apart from the uh everything) is that she includes Whedon saying he was advised to use an excuse to get up if he was uncomfortable with a subject. You don't put that in a profile if you're making them sympathetic.

Not only that, but pointing it out when he uses the excuse. I laughed (grimly, but still laughed) whenever he was asked a question and answered with "I have to use the loo." It was so clearly the act of someone buying time to think about how to position an answer in the best light. Reporter was definitely not lionizing him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Never trust an American who calls it "the loo", full stop

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A rope-piece. As in giving him just enough.

this is really good, congrats if you coined the term

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sir Lemming posted:

Never trust an American who calls it "the loo", full stop

Apparently he did spend time in jolly ol England in his academic youth, but yeah, it’s still obnoxious. And I’m one of those assholes who calls phones mobiles, so I know these sins.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Bluejeans posted:

this is really good, congrats if you coined the term

Great, now I can't use it in the real world without doxing myself. :smith:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I recently learned of an interview where Terence Stamp, who played the Chancelor in The Phantom Menace, says he was uninterested in the role but accepted it partly because he had a "terrible crush" on Natalie Portman and was extremely disappointed that he had to act against a prop stand-in instead of the actress. He was 60 at the time of filming, and Portman must have been like 16/17?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I recently learned of an interview where Terence Stamp, who played the Chancelor in The Phantom Menace, says he was uninterested in the role but accepted it partly because he had a "terrible crush" on Natalie Portman and was extremely disappointed that he had to act against a prop stand-in instead of the actress. He was 60 at the time of filming, and Portman must have been like 16/17?

He took away the wrong message from Leon

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Kevin DuBrow posted:

16, yep

Keira Knightley was 12, holy poo poo

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

He took away the wrong message from Leon

No Luc Besson absolutely intended for Leon to be pro pedophilia and married a teenager he started dating when she was 13.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The original script for Leon had the two bone but I guess someone decided "woah this is a bad plan" before it got filmed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea he 100% understood and agreed with Leon

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The original script for Leon had the two bone but I guess someone decided "woah this is a bad plan" before it got filmed.

the system works

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A lot of the credit for 'Leon' not being as paedophillic and creepy as Luc Besson wanted it to be goes to Jean Reno.

From what I have heard, he was the one fighting hard to get rid of the sex scenes, and any sexual stuff. All while doing his best to act in a "fatherly" way both on screen, and to protect young Natalie Portman on set.

But then again, this could all be third hand half remembered bullshit that I am misremembering and repeating just because I don't want Jean Reno to be as much of a hosed up pervert as Luc Besson.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nobody can mention predatory behavior of older men toward Natalie Portman without me being reminded of this timeless 1999 image of her screaming for help with her eyes while Moby, age 35, tries to seduce her with a birthday cake.

Of course it’s not an example of media that didn’t age well, because it was just as bad 20 years ago as it is now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wasn't there also a guy who became friends with Natalie Portman, and then left his wife because he wanted to be with Natalie Portman romantically, much to Natalie's surprise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

marshmallow creep posted:

Wasn't there also a guy who became friends with Natalie Portman, and then left his wife because he wanted to be with Natalie Portman romantically, much to Natalie's surprise.

Yeah, https://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_...e-no-thanks.php

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I AM GRANDO posted:

Nobody can mention predatory behavior of older men toward Natalie Portman without me being reminded of this timeless 1999 image of her screaming for help with her eyes while Moby, age 35, tries to seduce her with a birthday cake.

Of course it’s not an example of media that didn’t age well, because it was just as bad 20 years ago as it is now.

It gets worse. He claimed in one of his books that they dated. She said, "What? No we didn't," and he doubled down. Creepy loving rear end in a top hat.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/22/natalie-portman-criticises-moby-friendship-dating-memoir

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I guess you could say he had some extreme ways :yikes:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

rodbeard posted:

No Luc Besson absolutely intended for Leon to be pro pedophilia and married a teenager he started dating when she was 13.

Luv Besson can’t help it his pedophilic tendencies, he’s French

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It gets worse. He claimed in one of his books that they dated. She said, "What? No we didn't," and he doubled down. Creepy loving rear end in a top hat.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/22/natalie-portman-criticises-moby-friendship-dating-memoir

Not to change the subject, but didn't Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit try the same thing with Christina Aguilera, trying to get rumors going around that they were dating when literally nobody was thinking it?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Even worse you know that whole cake is vegan.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still maintain that for abusers, abuse is thoroughly enjoyable, a hobby and craft they practice at every opportunity. It's their escapism and stress relief. And a competitive sport. They can't stand to be outdone.

While I agree for Whedon, I object in the general sense. Some abusers genuinely don't think that what they're doing is wrong, or a power play, or anything but how people interact in an ideal or near-ideal environment, and that's just as, or more, scary IMO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I don’t think you can apply any one motive to a large group of people and people who abuse are sadly pretty large

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I don’t think you can apply any one motive to a large group of people and people who abuse are sadly pretty large

Yeah, abuse is far more complex and varied than these bite-sized takes here in this thread.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Not to change the subject, but didn't Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit try the same thing with Christina Aguilera, trying to get rumors going around that they were dating when literally nobody was thinking it?

Don't forget that Eminem used the fact that she mentioned the totally true thing about him killing his g/f on an album to spread a rumor he heard about her.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I didn't know how old Natalie Portman was off the top of my head, so I checked her Wikipedia to give the Moby picture more context and it's still quite terrible.

Speaking as an early-30's myself, the real simple rule is that if there's any question about age of consent, the answer doesn't loving matter because they're a decade too young either way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEfo080ryB4

This is all I know about Moby and I feel like I'm doing alright.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Don't forget that Eminem used the fact that she mentioned the totally true thing about him killing his g/f on an album to spread a rumor he heard about her.

Eminem's stuff in general hasn't aged terribly well. Half of the The Marshall Mathers LP is about how funny it is to kill gay people and women and then Eminem Show is about how terrible Eminem felt about people criticizing him about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

been watching some broadcast tv out in rural TX and there's a channel that only plays law and order: svu. it's literally a copaganda soap opera at this point. half the episodes forego the court scenes entirely for shootouts.

The heartbreak kid with Ben Stiller was on a different channel, and there's a whole montage dedicated to Stiller trying to cross the border from Mexico to the US and getting caught and speaking terrible Spanish. It did not age well. His Mexican frenemy at the resort is also painfully unfunny

Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon still holds up though

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

been watching some broadcast tv out in rural TX and there's a channel that only plays law and order: svu. it's literally a copaganda soap opera at this point. half the episodes forego the court scenes entirely for shootouts.

The heartbreak kid with Ben Stiller was on a different channel, and there's a whole montage dedicated to Stiller trying to cross the border from Mexico to the US and getting caught and speaking terrible Spanish. It did not age well. His Mexican frenemy at the resort is also painfully unfunny

Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon still holds up though

Seeing lineups for cable tv shows is just 95% copaganda these days. No wonder boomer parents react so harshly when a teen says ACAB, the only media they consume is pro-cop.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Seeing lineups for cable tv shows is just 95% copaganda these days. No wonder boomer parents react so harshly when a teen says ACAB, the only media they consume is pro-cop.

For real though. Just watching crime fiction, you’d think everyone who works in criminal justice are miracle workers who can magically solve every crime while protecting the innocent from the constant threat of common criminals, crime lords, and serial killers.

Which is funny, because boomers also love watching true crime. And those consistently show actual investigators to be incompetent, short sighted, and even corrupt even when trying to be copaganda.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Iv'e noticed it on my streaming platforms too, cop shows in full force, lionizing these entire cop families.
"In this family we don't talk about hard work, we just do it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I find it kinda weird that according to movies, tv show and books, Scandinavia is overrun by serial killers and the only detectives on the force are traumatized substance abusers.