Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

mod organizer 2 is a minor hassle at first to avoid massive headaches later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
People keep saying that but like..you install MO2, you put in your nexus stuff, download and install the mod, click it on and you are done. Click and drag to reorder stuff or hit launch game. I guess you have to add skse but..it's the exact same process as any other mod manager. Sure there's also more advanced features you can use but the only extra step MO really adds to basic users is having to launch the game through it.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Yeah, I just followed the Viva New Vegas guide and I've never had any serious problems with MO2 that I can recall.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If anything it's more user friendly than old FOMM, if only because it is laid out better.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mod Organizer chat reminds me that I found some old desktop screenshots recently and geez lol I was using MO as far back as 2013, what an absolute unit of a program

Yes I also used Norton for some reason back then, I am ashamed

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 16, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wrye BASH has infinitely better package management than Vortex even today, years after it's actively updated, if you like your files to be in Data or want to launch directly from the folder. It tracks file ownerships properly, resolves conflicts on uninstall, supports BASH tags and a bunch of other neat stuff.

I think BASH is great and still switched to MO immediately it became usable in the games I play, it's such a big step forward in modding.

But all these tools are to make our lives easier, so whatever works for each person is good.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I'm following VNV guide for bugfixes and all that. But when it comes to the overhauls, I just want to use regular JSawyer, not the JSUE it calls for. Does that mess up some of the other mods in the VNV guide?

(Obviously I'm not installing the JSUE compat patches either)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Holybat posted:

I'm following VNV guide for bugfixes and all that. But when it comes to the overhauls, I just want to use regular JSawyer, not the JSUE it calls for. Does that mess up some of the other mods in the VNV guide?

(Obviously I'm not installing the JSUE compat patches either)

Good news!

Viva New Vegas posted:

Unlike other modding guides, it is built with customization in mind. Mods are subjective, so every mod listed in the guide is 100% optional. Custom patches and a hand-made load order and will be provided for the guide, and they will still work if you skipped any mods.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Update: Followed the VNV guide, but with nothing but YUP, the weapon mesh fix, and jsawyer for gameplay mods. Worked perfectly for 4-5 hours until I went to quit the game, whereupon it locked up so hard the only thing I could do was restart my computer.

And this is why there’s more than just YUP in the fix section.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Thanks, I missed that bit in the guide!

Nothing against JSUE's modder, it seems like they did put a lot of work into that mod but I guess I was just turned off at the humongous amount of "fixes" in the changelog. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary stuff to me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also it seems a bit much to call your mod the ultimate version of an actual dev’s mod.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Esp when said dev doesn't agree with the changes or name.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Additional update: Looking good so far, inasmuch as there's been just the one crash, and for an entire weekend of New Vegas, that's drat good. I just hit Novac though, and one thing I found odd was that Cliff Briscoe is selling a whole bunch of armor sets that he didn't in vanilla - there's several renamed/buffed raider armors, "reinforced" versions of the mercenary costumes, and the Ranger Battle Armor from Fallout 3. I'm curious what mod puts these in, because it doesn't seem to be in the ordinary remit of any of them. Here's my load order:

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think most of the "ultimate" edition (which should probably be named something like "extended" instead yeah) are controlled by an INI file so you can fiddle with them if you want. Or even turn it back to the original mod except for one or two things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
JSawyer adds those armours to Cliff

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Oh cool, thanks. This is actually my first time playing with Jsawyer, so I haven't seen everything that it does yet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/75013

quote:

Detaches laser beams from weapons.

This along with all the Hitman knvse anims are great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think it does anything else much that's overt, lots of little changes to stats and hardcore needs and such. The fallout wiki has patch notes for it, though if you're using JSUE from the nexus it might be different:

https://fallout-archive.fandom.com/wiki/JSawyer

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Zereth posted:

I think most of the "ultimate" edition (which should probably be named something like "extended" instead yeah) are controlled by an INI file so you can fiddle with them if you want. Or even turn it back to the original mod except for one or two things.

Yeah you can use it to lower common exp in case you have any modded additional combat or lockpicking and you can adjust base weight if you're not into self-harm and want to do a playthrough without strong back/pack rat/hoarder every now and then

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2house2fly posted:

I'm taking this as an official soft confirmation that Cliff is the best merchant in the game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I do have a question about dragbody's power armor mod, if folks have experience with it, though: where does it put PA frames? It sounds like the current version puts it in more places than just the one when the mod started out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm taking this as an official soft confirmation that Cliff is the best merchant in the game.

He sells the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha, Paciencia, and That Gun. this was always known.

SpaceDrake posted:

I do have a question about dragbody's power armor mod, if folks have experience with it, though: where does it put PA frames? It sounds like the current version puts it in more places than just the one when the mod started out.

You can get most of the Brotherhood frames from the Hidden Valley Bunker after they let you access their stock. NCR Heavy armours spawn on heavy troopers. However unless you're running TTW most of the armours will only be available via killing the owners or through console commands.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 18, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He sells sweet rockets and epic dinosaurs as well. But it is nice to have it enshrined in Canon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Improved Sexuality Perks
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/74789

quote:

Description
This mod improves on sexuality perks by making them Charisma perks to match their description and their in-game function, making the perks less like determinants of a character's sexuality and more like actual perks that correspond to a charismatic character's sexual orientation. It also includes new perks for bisexual and asexual/aromantic characters, Horatian Honeypot/Gillette and Ace of Spades. In addition, players playing bisexual characters no longer have to pick 2 perks, taking up the space of another perk, since the bisexual perks give the player both the vanilla sexuality perks.

Brilliant.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Why is it that all my problems with this game end up being with merchant inventories? I figured when I had more money I'd buy the Ranger Battle Armor off Cliff, because it was my favorite back in FO3, but now that enough time has passed for his inventory to re-roll, he doesn't have it anymore. Nothing else changed - I didn't screw around with any other mods or anything.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You can add it to his inventory by going into the console, clicking on Cliff and then typing in
code:
additem 00023030
I can't remember if this means it'll show up for sale - no harm in trying.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The streamlined Viva New Vegas no longer includes any texture or special effects mods, but I'd really like to have some better lasers and flames. I got too used to playing with EVE to ever go back. The VNV guy didn't like EVE as I recall, is there a better special effects mod that's sprung up in the past few years? Anyone use EVE with the current VNV setup and have any tips for making sure it plays nice?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My setup for new vegas uses the old FOMM stuff. How hard is it to swap all that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MonsieurChoc posted:

My setup for new vegas uses the old FOMM stuff. How hard is it to swap all that?

Just follow the first couple sections of VNV to get Mod Organizer set up and then add whatever mods you want to add to it, it will take about an hour but long run it's the easiest way to handle it.

Caveat, if your game is in Program Files then Mod Organizer won't work full stop, I learned this the hard way!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The streamlined Viva New Vegas no longer includes any texture or special effects mods, but I'd really like to have some better lasers and flames. I got too used to playing with EVE to ever go back. The VNV guy didn't like EVE as I recall, is there a better special effects mod that's sprung up in the past few years? Anyone use EVE with the current VNV setup and have any tips for making sure it plays nice?

EVE is still the only real game in town for energy weapons, sadly. At least as of a few months back. It'll play well with VNV, insofar as it can play well. Meaning you'll still have to merge it in and deal with conflicts yourself.

I skipped EVE in my energy weapons run since I didn't want the more over-the-top hit effects it has, but then you're mostly SOL for iron sights on most energy weapon though there's this one mod that adds them to some weapons which plays pretty well: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70790

I have the LNV guide saved locally and can upload it somewhere temporarily if you want to look at it. I cherry picked mods from both VNV and LNV and liked the result.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

v1ld posted:

EVE is still the only real game in town for energy weapons, sadly. At least as of a few months back. It'll play well with VNV, insofar as it can play well. Meaning you'll still have to merge it in and deal with conflicts yourself.

I skipped EVE in my energy weapons run since I didn't want the more over-the-top hit effects it has, but then you're mostly SOL for iron sights on most energy weapon though there's this one mod that adds them to some weapons which plays pretty well: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70790

I have the LNV guide saved locally and can upload it somewhere temporarily if you want to look at it. I cherry picked mods from both VNV and LNV and liked the result.

How about EXE - Effect teXtures Enhanced?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I have to commend the New Vegas modding community for stabilizing the game so much that after 44 hours of playtime I've only had 6 crashes in spite of running 220+ plugins and 300+ installed archives. If I had to run a similar sized setup in say Oblivion, it would crash every 5-10 minutes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

v1ld posted:

You can add it to his inventory by going into the console, clicking on Cliff and then typing in
code:
additem 00023030
I can't remember if this means it'll show up for sale - no harm in trying.
Aren't shop inventories stored in a chest somewhere, frequently hiding undeground?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

At this point you might as well just add it into your inventory and throw a corresponding amount of caps away or something.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pickpocket the caps into his inventory. i think it would be a 5% chance so keep trying!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I was pretty happy when I found this one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cross-Section posted:

Yes I also used Norton for some reason back then, I am ashamed

Is Norten the one that started installing cryptomining software on your computer without telling you or was that McAffee?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Is Norten the one that started installing cryptomining software on your computer without telling you or was that McAffee?

That was McAffe I think, Norton at least asks

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tried to warn him but he said "gently caress off".

https://i.imgur.com/wZmVY91.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Sorry for the possible dumb question that might also be more suited to the general thread, but since I'm also asking about DR which I believe only jsawyer adds, I decided to ask here. Does the 5mm rounds effect of -10 DT mean that a 5mm gun with 18 Damage effectively hits harder than say a 5.56 gun with 26 Damage? If it's true, is this still the case with DR in effect?