Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Welcome back to the Frasier Crane show. Before the break, Mr Hairpiece was telling us how he can't take anything seriously because of stress and drinking problems, which has led to shitposting. In the last minute of our show, caller, I'm happy to say that we've found a place where you'll fit right in, so grab a drink, get ready for shitposts, because... Now it's time for Bob Bulldog Brisco!

ps You can stay :) thanks for starting the thread.

I just want to say I used to be lovely to you in the Seattle thread(s) and I'm sorry about that.

Frasier is the salve we need, but don't feel the need to accept my apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just want to say I used to be lovely to you in the Seattle thread(s) and I'm sorry about that.
(Meh he who pays attention to poster's names is fairly lovely anyway. Being a Seattlite myself, therefore...)

Sherry, dfk? :cheers:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/kathyfromsales/status/1182430309503197184?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're the Crane brothers though, they're obv gonna get Scarecrowfied

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"I said my therapy would take you places. I never said they were places you wanted to go."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

someone email this to the DC execs quick

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Now that I'm up to speed on David Angell's backstory, the Cam Winston episode with the gigantic US flag makes way more sense as to why it was written.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Explain

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My read is his wife died in 9/11 and he was fed up with the ultra patriotic climate that arose after it. The whole episode is a send-up of lame patriotic sentiments.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sure you don't want to double check that backstory

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm dumb as hell so no.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh they both died lol.

It still tracks then. Point stands.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
January 8, 2002, I believe: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0582460/

Obviously written a bit before that. Arguably Frasier is pro-America in his speech, albeit with ulterior motive:

Frasier posted:

Mrs. Moon: Oh, what's left for me there? An empty house full of memories? No, I'd rather stay right here, in the company of my babies. Thank goodness I have my children to lean upon.

Simon: Oh, don't cry, Mum. I really thought this junket to America would cheer you up.

Niles: Oh, well, it still can. Go away! The others looked shocked.

Niles: I mean, get out there and see the country.

Frasier: Yes, that is a splendid idea! This land is rich with snow- covered mountains, sun-kissed beaches, wild untamed rivers and a, a warm loving people ready to embrace you. Immerse yourself in the spectacle and the grandeur that are these United States, this America! Behind him, a massive American flag unfurls past the balcony.

Niles: How did you do that? Confused, Frasier turns to follow Niles' gaze. Seeing his balcony completely blocked in, he starts. Trembling, he puts his drink down.

Frasier: Cam Winston!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Little known fact: the production of Frasier was initially sponsored by the Tourism Board of Palau, who planned a concomitant series of television spots highlighting Palau as the farthest place on Earth you could get from the main characters of Frasier

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

a concomitant series of television spots highlighting Palau
Was it a cooking show about Indian chicken rice pilaf?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The host had a very special earring... uh... donated by Butros Butros Gali

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sorry for posting my fanfiction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sorry for posting my fanfiction.
But Frasier... how can we entice the reader??

I've got it, Niles.

A crane Guide to Netizenry.

Chapter one, A Fan's Fiction Need Not Fan Fictions!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Little known fact: the production of Frasier was initially sponsored by the Tourism Board of Palau, who planned a concomitant series of television spots highlighting Palau as the farthest place on Earth you could get from the main characters of Frasier

The whole point of an ad campaign is to make me want to buy your product.

This makes me not want to go to Palau.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

“I am wooooounded”: A jaunty stroll through the official Frasier cookbook

Here's my favorite part of this article

quote:

And man, for us fully grown anxious dinguses, Frasier hits as true now as it ever has. Seinfeld remains good, but fairly fixed in a moment. Friends is, was, and will always be a stupid trash fire. But Frasier, especially in present day, is 20-some-odd minutes of hilarious Xanax for a troubled mind. It’s just a good-rear end show written by hilarious people and acted by the best ensemble of its era.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Friends is pretty good though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you can't sit down to a good 6 minutes or so of David Hyde Pierce trying and failing to make the perfect dinner, with Eddie in tow, I just don't know what to tell you :colbert:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

For how much gay panic Frasier had, Friends is on another level (along with the fat phobia).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Completely forgot about this, despite this being the episode where "that dingo has your baby".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJjkuQQF9M

I'm gonna choose to believe this Nguy who shined the car is Guy from the cabin and Niles had a little secret thing going on. :yaycloud:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

For how much gay panic Frasier had, Friends is on another level (along with the fat phobia).

Sure, those parts suck. But it's also a show that I remember fondly and makes me think of the good time of my life when it was on the air. So I forgive the mean jokes and enjoy the nostalgia trip and good laughs. Plus I have an incredible crush on 90s Lisa Kudrow.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Why would you say this

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Friends is mean spirited poo poo that reflects all the bad stuff of the 1990's which were the 50's part two, and also it had a lot of lazy writing and bad acting. It's loving garbage. Or, like that article said, "a stupid trash fire".

I don't want to be too horribly mean I watched it all too, I used to watch a block of Friends reruns with my early high school crush on the phone. I enjoyed those times. I enjoy the nostalgia feelings. But the show loving sucks. I want Friends to never live in the canon. It was hateful, it was stupid, it deserves to be put in the culture incinerator. Frasier should live, though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's just like, your opinion man

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That said, there is a lot of bad Friends eps, i agree. Whenever it got into Ross and Rachel melodrama it was horribly uninteresting, and the show ran out of steam and made caricatures of its characters long before the last season. But it was also nominated for (and won) a boatload of awards (including one from GLAAD somehow) and became a cultural touchstone for a reason. It isn't getting memoryholed anytime soon.

Anyway, this is a dumb thing to get into an argument over. Sherry, Niles?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think the best part of binging Frasier is that it doesn't break itself up. The theme song is at the very end (it owns) and always has something to watch while it's happening and then it just launches into the next episode with a little visual glyph of the Seattle skyline. Just perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think the best part of binging Frasier is that it doesn't break itself up. The theme song is at the very end (it owns) and always has something to watch while it's happening and then it just launches into the next episode with a little visual glyph of the Seattle skyline. Just perfect.

There's something almost relaxed and even dignified about the presentation, which is probably meant to be ironic, but still. It's not a show that's desperately trying to blast things in your face and remind you who the characters are every five minutes in case you forgot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Frasier intro is perfect, just a classy as hell jazzy piece and the skyline and on to the Crane boys' latest scheme. Like imagine if it had a big overpowering theme song with a montage of Frasier prat falling and Niles mooning over Daphne and Martin farting on things

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Back when it was on Netflix there used to be a skip intro button but like, why? It was less than five seconds and just nice as hell, perfect for setting up the mood of the episode

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Personally I always liked the alternate theme song for the show.

https://youtu.be/E0uWfRYNPNs

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Calaveron posted:

The Frasier intro is perfect, just a classy as hell jazzy piece and the skyline and on to the Crane boys' latest scheme. Like imagine if it had a big overpowering theme song with a montage of Frasier prat falling and Niles mooning over Daphne and Martin farting on things

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/Gr-BijU4feM

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Back when it was on Netflix there used to be a skip intro button but like, why? It was less than five seconds and just nice as hell, perfect for setting up the mood of the episode

Netflix is such loving absolute trash

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

codo27 posted:

Netflix is such loving absolute trash
"Now Codo, remember that unmitigated anger can lead to real problems. What you suggest is your reality (which happens to be everyone else's) that Netflix has fires in each of their proverbial dumpsters (and it's dumpsters all the way down) but we can set the example by looking for that glimmer of light and hope... (the day when the entire corporate headquarters is ablaze). Roz will give you some numbers to help manage your anger. Thank you for your call."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Was watching the fencing instructor episode last night ("An Affair To Forget") and it just has so many layers of brilliance. What I appreciated this time around was how the building of the model ship is used to tie together so many seemingly unrelated gags in that one scene.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Sir Lemming posted:

Was watching the fencing instructor episode last night ("An Affair To Forget") and it just has so many layers of brilliance. What I appreciated this time around was how the building of the model ship is used to tie together so many seemingly unrelated gags in that one scene.

Oh yes, Niles, that's just what we need, a fourth language!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
To Odo:

Why speculation and not declaration?