Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I agree with that one person up thread. Humanoid bosses have tells that are easier to read but they are boring visually. Cursed greatwood, demon of song, moonlight butterfly, etc etc are just amazing designs and more fantasy than humanoid bosses are and I prefer the fantasy aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Adjudicator was cool looking but the actual fight was lame. Really liked the bird though

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've just encountered the stray demon on the bridge in Dark Souls 3 and I'm not really enthusiastic about fighting him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There are humanoid boss fights and then there is Maria. Actually all the Bloodborne humanoid bosses were pretty cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

huh posted:

I've just encountered the stray demon on the bridge in Dark Souls 3 and I'm not really enthusiastic about fighting him.

Just gently caress him up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

huh posted:

Easy. Not even a boss. Just watch out for the grab/don’t put your back to the side of the bridge

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

huh posted:

He's pretty easy, just don't get grabbed because it's insta-kill

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you've fought DS1 fat rear end demons then DS3 stray demon is a cinch. He has a few more tricks to use but otherwise all his attacks are unchanged.

Heck you can even space out his butt slam.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

Adjudicator was cool looking but the actual fight was lame. Really liked the bird though

I love Adjudicator, it's creepy as gently caress, but yeah rather basic mechanically speaking. It's such a cool idea that I think the look of it is supposed to throw you off your game and ensure at least one cheap death :unsmigghh:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I tend to prefer crazy monster boss fights over humanoid boss fights but Sekiro really nailed the humanoid bosses. Like you really feel like you're in a sword duel with a boss like Genichiro or Owl. There's not a lot of ways to get a major advantage over them other then to just git gud.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Try doing all your damage to a single leg :unsmigghh:

E:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

codo27 posted:

I started playing Witcher 3 around release, went home for Christmas and was never able to get back into & finish it. I started a new game this past weekend but god drat I'm still finding it hard to get into, mainly because DS has ruined me and the combat is horse manure in comparison

Get the mod that turns every combat encounter into a deadly game of Gwent. But seriously, play Witcher for the writing. The combat is passable at best. A trait inherited by Cyberpunk except its quests aren't half as good to hide the flaws.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCxTPVhxQE

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Charliegrs posted:

I tend to prefer crazy monster boss fights over humanoid boss fights but Sekiro really nailed the humanoid bosses. Like you really feel like you're in a sword duel with a boss like Genichiro or Owl. There's not a lot of ways to get a major advantage over them other then to just git gud.

If I boiled down how I feel about the differences it'd be that the good fights in Sekiro (not demon) were about learning and most Souls fights were about endurance. Finally "getting it" and clowning on Genichiro is a lot more fun, for me personally, than happening to hit all my dodges perfectly for ten minutes and whittling down a huge health bar. All the boss fights I hate from these games share the same properties - tons of repetition, massive health bars, lots of waiting.

huh posted:

I agree with that one person up thread. Humanoid bosses have tells that are easier to read but they are boring visually. Cursed greatwood, demon of song, moonlight butterfly, etc etc are just amazing designs and more fantasy than humanoid bosses are and I prefer the fantasy aspects.

This also applies to these bosses. The three you named tend to be pretty easy, but are visually entertaining instead of Man In Armor #827 so that's good. Then you get stuff like the dragon fights where it's huge HP and wonky hitboxes.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

man in armour bosses are still good. artorias, Gael, gundyr, nameless king are all cool. Dragon rider, lost sinner, all the other snoozers are just on a different more boring level

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Currently the thing about Elden Ring i'm most interested in is the useless item ratio... I want to see this recreated in er.
https://imgur.com/3i27b7w.mp4

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
As far as gimmick bosses go I actually liked the chariot from DS2

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
DS2 also had tons of forgettable regular enemies. Except for the Hippoclops. Man those things creeped me out I really wish they would make a comeback.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm glad there's only like one per game, but I like the Skeleton Lords/Deacons type fights that are just kinda goofy and hectic with tons of ads chasing you around if you take too long.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm glad there's only like one per game, but I like the Skeleton Lords/Deacons type fights that are just kinda goofy and hectic with tons of ads chasing you around if you take too long.

I love these fights as someone that always opts for big weapons. Cleaving through the deacons with a big sword is fun.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Ichabod Tane posted:

yes but only one of the two so i know the one pantsless man was me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

As far as gimmick bosses go I actually liked the chariot from DS2

the chariot's good because your reward for figuring out the gimmick is a normal fight with a horsey

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IIRC, the Skeleton Lords are the one place in the entire game where the hotwheels skeletons appear in DS2, although their spiritual successors, Sonic the Hedgehog, appears in the Ivory King DLC.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I like the Deacons because when the chubby Deacons come out you can knock them over and they rock around on the ground with their little feet kicking like turtles.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The abyss watchers were cool as heck. DS3 had the best bosses in the series

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

The abyss watchers were cool as heck. DS3 had the best bosses in the series

Agreed, and by no means would I call Abyss Watchers a gimmick fight

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Elden Ring: a giant lumbering dork fingering he own snatch

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

DS2 had like four of those

Anyway, Curse-Rotted Greatwood's music is the worst track in DS3. It's amazing how it finds new ways to keep getting worse as it goes along, until it's just Motoi Sakuraba setting his keyboard to "pipe organ" and leaning on it with both arms. And yet, still a whole mile better than any track in DS2, except the one they reused wholesale from DS1.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've been distracted from the Stray Demon by being summoned as a watchdog of Farron every few minutes. Surprisingly active.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

3X+3 in Woods is a really good spot to get your invasion on . Lots of chill fightclubs with almost no animation cancelers/move swappers, too, if you want to learn/practice PVP.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

What is that?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Sorry. Soullevel 30-39, with normal weapon upgrade level +3

As long as your character is in that level range with non-boss weapons at +3 you'll get lots of invasion time in the Crucifixion Woods area.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh that's cool. I'm level 21 with a +3 estoc.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im verye xcited for Fromsoft: BotW

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ichabod Tane posted:

hmmm. Say what you will about DS2 having too many humanoid bosses but stuff like cursed greatwood in DS3 are totally boring and suck rear end

having lots of humanoid bosses is actually one of the few points in DS2's favor. humanoid bosses are, with incredible consistency, better than animals / dragons / etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah you definitely want a more personal, challenging duel rather than repeatedly ankle smashing some giant beast

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

codo27 posted:

Yeah you definitely want a more personal, challenging duel rather than repeatedly ankle smashing some giant beast

i love ankle smashing giant beasts, it's just a bad fit mechanically and/or for the studio's particular talents

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

having lots of humanoid bosses is actually one of the few points in DS2's favor. humanoid bosses are, with incredible consistency, better than animals / dragons / etc.

Agreed. The best bosses (Sir Alonne, Fume Knight, Ivory King, etc.) were all just armored dudes. The bad bosses were bad because they were recycled from the previous game or just lazy gimmicks.

I really don't enjoy fighting giant shambling things, where you have to wrestle the camera and can't tell what's a hitbox and what isn't, but dragons are mostly fine. They have the same kind of consistency that humanoid bosses do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you really need this explained for you

:negative: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i love ankle smashing giant beasts, it's just a bad fit mechanically and/or for the studio's particular talents

I think you nailed it because I loved fighting beasts in Dragon's Dogma.